• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am here to eat my Spiderman 2 crow!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Touche

Ed8baBjUcAURY-V
Nights Talladega GIF

tmlDan

Ok, genuine question.

Overall seems more of the same, which is fine for people who liked the previous one, but in that case why the previous showcase didn't excite you? It was also showing more of the same, just like this one, just the way people want it.

I don't get what part of this makes it suddenly exciting for people who weren't already, even graphics don't seem much different.
Sequels tend to be more of the same.

But to answer, the combat looks more refined, there are more ways to engage in combat with some collaborative combat with the two spideys, the villains are better and the teases of more to come are exciting. The AR addition for quests lets you visualize side quests/events easily which was kinda difficult/boring in the past games - they also seem way more varied than the same repetitive side quests in the past game (which was the biggest and only negative of the 2018 game). The bigger map and more varied environments and places to visit are a huge plus. The glider looked good in the last trailer but showing it off here on how to move quickly through the city looked faster, how it can be integrated with swinging, and varied. Also, add fanservice transitions between spideys, which obviously took inspiration from GTA, are seamless and strike the spider fan nerve. But damn, that fast travel transition is chefs kiss, I might fast travel just to see that over and over again.

It just seems like a massive step up from the last game, this showed that imo

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sequels I look as like expansions you can look at it that way, it creates based off the fundamentals of the first game and that’s amazing. Spider-Man 2 will provide great super hero battles and outside of Batman that hasn’t happened often.

Mr.Phoenix

You cant even compare AMD TF to Nvidia TF. Its sadly not some SI Unit.
You really don't get it do you? You absolutely can.

However, before we take this further, what do you think a TF actually is? Or not I am just wasting my time.

edit- nvm, for you to be saying this I am clearly wasting my time.

All I will say, so I am not being a total ass, is that TFs, or the part of a GPU that is measured in TFs, is just one of ie 7+ parts of a GPU that pays a role in each rendered frame.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
That's so hilarious. It's funny because that's soooooo many hours. What a funny joke. That silly Starfield intro taking 90000000 hours, I can't stop laughing about how many hours it takes.

You know what would be even funnier? If someone else posts the same joke but changes the number to 99999999. I can't hardly wait. 99999999 would be a higher number, so it would be even funnier.
It takes 99999999 hours to get rid of that annoying kid Sam Coe decided to drag into my ship, i want the option to desert her in space.

LostDonkey

I don't know how to put it and I've only watched on my phone but that looks like the cleanest? Game I've ever seen. I don't know how to explain it. Everything looks so solid and sharp, colourful, like the highest fidelity game world and characters I've seen. Will have to watch it later on a bigger screen.

MarkMe2525

It looks good, the first one on PS4 looks good. They are obviously cranking the visual detail, geometry mesh, post processing up, and I don't know what else they could do to improve other than maybe going to ray traces global illumination. There aren't many nay sayers out there, but to the ones that are, I don't see how you could downplay these visuals.

hyperbertha

I assure you, you are self owning when you are on the internet taking videogames and consoles this seriously and emotionally.
Oooh the EmOtIOn own attempt. I'm not emotional and you losers trying to upend the narrative that sm2 looks like dlc is far more invested emotionally. You're just coping friend. That's self owning.

hyperbertha

I don't think it looks anywhere close to Horizon at all. Not the gameplay, not the aesthetics, nothing at all.

I didn't like horizon at all, but the graphics were probably one of the best parts of it.

So does this all come down to a bunch of people complaining the graphics are not good enough after watching a youtube compressed video most likely in a laptop or phone screen? What is your benchmark for that quality you're not seeing in this game exactly?
So youtube videos dont show graphics now? I watched horizon, avatar and matrix demo on YouTube and they were all very impressive.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Care to throw out some examples of what you consider a visible significant enhancement on such a game?
Double the size of the city, at least 2 playable characters, no loadings, even faster movement through the environment, new enemies, no more last gen release (thank fuck) and continuing the story people enjoyed last time.
The speed at which you traverse NYC with those graphics should already show a significant advancement.

Gamers are whiny kids. Claiming they want to see more than just upgraded graphics and the moment they actually get that, they demand better graphics.
Yep… and we even got better visuals to boot. City looks even more alive and detailed, lighting is phenomenal, and reflections and textures / materials in general look even more refined (on top of what you already summarised)… haters hate how Insomniac works and how they have been managed I guess…

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Come in for a hug, its gotta hurt seeing PS firing on all cylinders after Starfield.
They say green with envy 😂.
Worse thing is that as a game Starfield is not bad at all (would not keep pushing on it at 21-24 FPS in cities (luckily 30 FPS indoors) in the Steam Deck.

Still enough pettiness to keep going and crap on Sony tentpole releases with a passion… evangelists gotta evangelise ;).

Last edited:
So youtube videos dont show graphics now? I watched horizon, avatar and matrix demo on YouTube and they were all very impressive.
You realize you're constantly contradicting yourself?
You said that SM2 looks comparable to horizon (which i don't agree, but ok) like that was a bad thing. Now 1 response later you say Horizon was very impressive.

And no, you don't really get a very good sense of the graphic quality from a youtube video. A huge amount of detail is lost in compression. Most likely you're not even watching 4k even.

Sorry man, you're just all over the place. If you don't like the game, it's ok, it's just the arguments you're throwing out are not very good.

edit: still didn't hear what was your graphics benchmark to say this game doesn't look good, love to hear what games you're playing that look graphically more impressive as I might be missing out

Last edited:
You know that happens everywhere right?

Plus I don't see genocide as necessary in that situation. There are much worse things in this world.
I don’t see this stuff happen in any Arabic country anytime soon I guess 🤣. Everywhere means mostly in the USA when it comes to this stuff.

486t4c.jpg

I got to admit I was wrong. Althought I am a huge insomniac fan (love Ratchet and Clank series) Spiderman 2 to this point unimpressed me. I was expecting big things considering this was developed exclusively for the PS5. I was not impressed until today.

The game has really been cleaned up in this short but sweet trailer. I am really impressed by the smooth transitions from the Maps to gameplay. Switching between the 2 characters are equally impressive. The few moments of game play shown are highly impressive. The Draw distance, the Lighting, the motion, etc are hitting the mark.

This maybe the new benchmark game for the current generation.

It's just a slightly better version of the previous games, nothing next-gen about it. The lighting is last generation for instance, having said that it looks impressive but when making comments at least try to be realistic.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
People need to go back and look at 2018 base ps4 version. Not Morales, not remastered not even the bloody ps4 Pro version. That's the only fair generational comparison as far as I’m concerned.

The difference between that and spiderman 2 is pretty damn big as far I'm concerned.
Another thing folks forget. In gens prior (everything through the 360/PS3 generation — 7th), we didn't have many remasters and certainly not a Pro console to strengthen things. This has to be considered when using the word generational.

Last edited:
My first Spider-Man game was 2018 & I played like 200 hours. Can't stand to watch New York again :))

Why wouldn't Spiderman 2 not take place in New York?

I'm not very familiar with the comics but I believe that's where they take place. Plus all movies I saw were based in New York. I never saw Spiderman in Ulaanbaatar for example.

Top Bottom