• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zedsdeadbaby said:
2005 called, it wants you back.
I'm just as excited for Killzone 2 as everyone else here, but fucking please. This kind of PRspeak just pisses me off.
Seriously..... He was probably being sarcastic/ joking......... back on topic WOW at the diffrence dynamic radiosity makes :)

patsu

iceatcs said:
KillzownedWTFace.gif

Why do they have to stand so far ? Are they afraid of the explosions or somethin ? 8^P

Private Hoffman said:
We are also researching dynamic radiosity which does indeed mean real-time radiosity lighting. We have got some ideas, but if it works it'll be so late that we can't put it into this game, as we're steaming ahead in full production.

ROFL. Radiosity is so 1990s.

Kinda funny that a mediocre dev like Guerrilla now suddenly is the best on the planet!

Some of you guys need to read more books about all this. Spewing buzzword bingo stuff is not helping. KZ2 looks ace... just stop the crazy PR spins.

NemesisPrime said:

Kinda funny that a mediocre dev like Guerrilla now suddenly is the best on the planet!

Some of you guys need to read more books about all this. Spewing buzzword bingo stuff is not helping. KZ2 looks ace... just stop the crazy PR spins.
:lol

NemesisPrime said:

Yes, because posting about upcoming tech that may be used in KZ3 is 'crazy PR spins'.

Can we get the 'mediocre' dev shit out of this thread?

Yoboman

NemesisPrime said:

You tell them, they clearly have no fucking clue what they are talking about. ROFL

You're ragging on anticipation for new tech in sequels :lol
Everybody does that and you come in here insulting the devs :lol

What next? Being excited for a game is a PR spin :lol

Burekma

NemesisPrime said:

Excuse me, but some of us like to hear about those "crazy PR spins", be it Killzone or any other game. I also didn't know pr spin is the new word for tech talk. Guess you learn something every day.

Oh, I would also appreciate it if Hoffman can provide a link, as I'd like to read more (if there is more?).

WinFonda

NemesisPrime said:

symdj9.jpg

DeZimatoR

Banned
NemesisPrime said:

Dude the fuck out of here with that shit! Its getting really really old.

That said, you'll be the one eating crow when Killzone 2 comes out, so troll as much as you can when there's still time...

ChryZ said:
I took the liberty of adding teh killzowned :D

bj7h46.gif

nye6nc.gif

Behold the power of Killzone 2! :D

dfyb

Banned
NemesisPrime said:

:lol

NemesisPrime said:
Maybe in the PC world, but for consoles it's just becoming possible. For example, the art design of Mirror's Edge is basically founded on clean, simple textures married to radiosity lighting (pre-baked, I think). In addition, one of the technical talking points of the next Splinter Cell is that it will have realtime radiosity lighting.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
Maybe in the PC world, but for consoles it's just becoming possible. For example, the art design of Mirror's Edge is basically founded on clean, simple textures married to radiosity lighting (pre-baked, I think). In addition, one of the technical talking points of the next Splinter Cell is that it will have realtime radiosity lighting.
wow thats gonna be awesome considering how much Splinter Cell uses the light.

But yeah, not even in the PC world is real-time radiosity common. It all has to be pre-rendered 99% of the time.

NemesisPrime said:

Word up, my Voodoo2 was rockin' the radiosity like it wasn't even funny!

Buzzwords~!

SamBishop

Banned
bishoptl said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how I've tried. There ain't no PartnerNet for the PS3! It's painful! It hurts! Right here! In the pee-pee! It's like that beautiful, perfect, exquisitely huge breast belonging to the most amazingly, adorably hot Japanese girl is made of raw electricity. I know I shouldn't touch, I know it's bad to go back and try again, and yet my hand just reaches out.... "Asian girls don't have boobs that big or that perfect," I say to myself, and so I must repeat my actions, so as to confirm that which my eyes behold isn't just pure fantasy.

And for a moment, isn't. For a precious few seconds, it's... perfect. The amazing, incredible, magical fantastit. And then come the bees. They're made of electricity, y'see, but at first they dance and you think it's kinda fun to watch. Then come the stings.... And you know you were wrong. You were so wrong.

...Unless you meant that dude that posted, in which case, I agree. Lots.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Word up, my Voodoo2 was rockin' the radiosity like it wasn't even funny!

Buzzwords~!
DAYYYYUUUUUM!!! What awesome avatar you have there!
jesusman.jpg

thuway

I love how some people have zero posts in the thread, but the moment someone says something sarcastic / exaggerated, they are damn sure to play damage control :lol .

k79

Banned
NemesisPrime said:

Take your crying and lecturing elsewhere please. We've already got more than enough shit stains in this thread as it is. Thank you.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
NemesisPrime said:

internet_nutz.jpg

Private Hoffman said:
Yes, because posting about upcoming tech that may be used in KZ3 is 'crazy PR spins'.

Can we get the 'mediocre' dev shit out of this thread?

You are just spewing random words without even knowing what it is all about. Mediocre?... well lets see if they rise above their previous titles when KZ2 gets reviewed. Things are looking good for them... but some of you guys are now elevating everything they do to ridiculous status. Realtime radiosity? Yeah.. maybe... but I do hope you understand the consequences of what you are saying.

In many ways it is quite funny to see this thread... so many people suddenly becoming experts at global illumination. Many people have been working ages on a lot of this uber advanced stuff... it trickles down slowly into the gaming engines and usually in small, modest implementations.

NemesisPrime said:
You are just spewing random words without even knowing what it is all about.

I copied and pasted a quote from one of the devs.

How am I spewing random words without knowing what it is all about? :lol Take that issue up with Guerilla Games. I'm sure your research into procedural generated content far outweighs anything that they know (being a mediocre dev, and all).

I fully realize there are graphical 'tricks' to accomplish certain well established rendering/lighting techniques, but that doesn't mean we should disregard their comments as 'PR spin'. I think your agenda is duly noted.

Mediocre?... well lets see if they rise above their previous titles when KZ2 gets reviewed. Things are looking good for them... but some of you guys are now elevating everything they do to ridiculous status. Realtime radiosity? Yeah.. maybe... but I do hope you understand the consequences of what you are saying.

You just called GG a 'mediocre' dev, FFS, in response to a comment about tech. Does anyone in the world question their talent when it comes to that??? Seriously, they have cemented themselves as one of the top devs in the industry (if not THE top) when it comes to graphics.

I was surprised to read that Killzone 2 doesn't use HDR. It's proof that it isn't the be all and end all. I'm fed up with everything looking like it's reflecting the sun in other games. The alternative lighting methods and algorithms shown in the game looks far better than everything else I've seen. Hopefully this will encourage other developers to look for other avenues regarding lighting in their games than just HDR, a lighting method that never really looked right, and traditionally considered way too expensive for the end result.

There is no doubt that some people will start seeing this as a 'compromise' but those smart enough will see this as an alternative means, one that was evidently chosen for the better.

dfyb

Banned
NemesisPrime said:
You are just spewing random words without even knowing what it is all about. Mediocre?... well lets see if they rise above their previous titles when KZ2 gets reviewed. Things are looking good for them... but some of you guys are now elevating everything they do to ridiculous status. Realtime radiosity? Yeah.. maybe... but I do hope you understand the consequences of what you are saying.
their ridiculously impressive game engine speaks volumes about the knowledge and skill their technical programmers have. GG technical programmers have proven themselves top tier. mediocrity does not spawn exceptionality.

NemesisPrime said:
In many ways it is quite funny to see this thread... so many people suddenly becoming experts at global illumination. Many people have been working ages on a lot of this uber advanced stuff... it trickles down slowly into the gaming engines and usually in small, modest implementations.
:lol it trickles down into gaming engines because gaming engines need to be real-time. getting nice rendering and lighting algorithms for images that have all day to render (or movies taking days or more to render) is one thing -- getting similar effects working at 30+ frames per second with real-time physics and other calculations on limited hardware is a MUCH more challenging task.

DeZimatoR

Banned
NemesisPrime said:
You are just spewing random words without even knowing what it is all about. Mediocre?... well lets see if they rise above their previous titles when KZ2 gets reviewed. Things are looking good for them... but some of you guys are now elevating everything they do to ridiculous status.

You really want Killzone 2 to fail to to prove your 'Guerrilla is a bunch of mediocre devs' point don't you? You're fucking sad...

Kingsgoon said:
A Swedish newspaper has posted their review of Killzone 2.
It got a 4 out of 5.

Link (in swedish)
http://www.folkbladet.nu/?p=132178

Wtf?

What's up with all the newspapers in Sweden breaking the review embargo for KZ 2 and giving it 4/5? I mean, there's been like 3 of them already :lol

jorma

is now taking requests
Kingsgoon said:
No, this is a new review (posted today). The other one was by another swedish newspaper (Gothemburg Post), but it has been removed.

Its also a very positive review.

Private Hoffman said:
You just called GG a 'mediocre' dev, FFS, in response to a comment about tech. Does anyone in the world question their talent when it comes to that??? Seriously, they have cemented themselves as one of the top devs in the industry (if not THE top) when it comes to graphics.
I don't agree. They have picked some very specific pieces of tech to use in KZ2 with great effect (and I agree it looks good) but there are many advanced things missing as a result. This is usually how it goes in games dev. You pick a certain route and pick the tech based on what you want to achieve and how you want your game to look. The result for KZ2 is very nice.

I am very skeptical about a company suddenly being elevated to god status by the fanboys. TBH I have rarely seen white papers and/or GDC presentation from GG people about graphics (I can remember only one) so it is a bit much to claim they are leading. They picked e certain style and maximized the hell out of it. Why are you people so easily "insulted" over this? A bit of reality would serve most of you well.

AND BTW.. no my work in procedural stuff is not above or below their stuff. It is a different field with different goals and different people, but a nice personal attack anyway. next time I will put b*llshit on my personal info like many.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GG have more than proved themselves to be one of the most technically proficient teams working in the business at the moment, it's whether or not they can pull off what I call "Valve quality" level design, that's the big question mark.

Impressions seem favourable, which is great obviously. I really hope they do, or at the very least get close.

~Kinggi~

Banned
NemesisPrime said:
I don't agree. They have picked some very specific pieces of tech to use in KZ2 with great effect (and I agree it looks good) but there are many advanced things missing as a result. This is usually how it goes in games dev. You pick a certain route and pick the tech based on what you want to achieve and how you want your game to look. The result for KZ2 is very nice.

I am very skeptical about a company suddenly being elevated to god status by the fanboys. TBH I have rarely seen white papers and/or GDC presentation from GG people about graphics (I can remember only one) so it is a bit much to claim they are leading. They picked e certain style and maximized the hell out of it. Why are you people so easily "insulted" over this? A bit of reality would serve most of you well.

AND BTW.. no my work in procedural stuff is not above or below their stuff. It is a different field with different goals and different people, but a nice personal attack anyway. next time I will put b*llshit on my personal info like many.
Last time i made a series of posts like yours in this thread I was banned for a month. This is gaf though so you may get lucky.

Fersis

Ok, you two ,stop fighting !
NemesisPrime and PrivateHoffman HUG NOW !
Come on kids, everyone wants to have fun with KZ2, thats the only thing that matters, you can have a gazillion shaders and techniques but what really matters is fun.
Remember: FUN > Rendering techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom