• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GDC Thread (March 23-27, 2009) of "Megatons?" and Getting Stupid.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
What the hell. Both TP and PH were awesome. Some of you guys, damn.

And I propose the first few persons be banned who cry about how this GDC was disappointing and that there were no megatons. Sure, there might be an announcement or two, but this IS FUCKING GDC. New XNA is announced and one person here takes notice and goes "mehgaton"? WTF is wrong with you people; do you even know what GDC is for?

Chinner

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
The Ledgend of Zelda Meets DragonballZ

This story takes place after Link has defeated Ganon and in the dragonballZ timeline were the Androids have just arrived.

Link and Zelda are sitting in Hyrule castle drinking some red wine in front of a fire when a small shimmering light comes flickering in the notices this light and then jumps up in excitement as he realizes its his child hood friend, Navi. When he jump up he throws Zelda off of him and she land on the ground with a thud.
"NAVI!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!?" Link asked in excitement.
"Link have a seat for what I am about to tell you will astound you" Navi repies in a grim voice. Link takes a seat after helping up Zelda.
"I'm ready..." Link says in a serious voice.
"Good, there is a new danger but it is not directly in our world...in a land far form here there are very evil beings called "androids" in which will end up destorying there whole world and after that they will come here. They are increadably stong and increadably evil. They need the help of the ledgendary hero. You must pull the sword once again, and save the balence of the universe. Please will you help these people? They need your help..."
Link stood with an angry glare in his eyes, his head tilted down a walked out of the room and down the stone hallway. He threw open the doors of a small room and he emered with a green tunic on his brown boots, mirrored sheid in hand.
"Thats the Link I remember!" Navi shouted as he hovered over his head.
"Just one more thing...MY SWORD!" Link shouted. He barged out of the castle door and went into the temple of time. He pulled a small blue insterment out of his pocket and put it to his he played a melody on the insterment a symbol over the stone door in front of him open and a light poured he walked up to the pedistal of time a flash of light blinded him and out steped a very fimilar face. It was the face of Shike.
"I cannot come with you Link, and I know you will need as much help as you can get...please dont forget me when you are gone, and remember this song it will give you strength when you are weary." The figure pulls out a harp and begins to play a very sorrowful song.
Link puts the insterment to his lips and plays the melody "I will remember...forever"
He wispered as he looked at the figure in front of him disaper. He steped up to the sword and grabed it by the hilt. Pulling out of the stone unto which it lay with great ease. A blue light surrounded him and soon he was transported to the Temple of sages. There he met with all his old friends.
"Link we know of your newest quest, and we have agreed to give you a new item. This is called the Triforce Pendant. It gives the beared an increadable power. We know not what the power is but it is said my ledgend to be the greatest in the land."As this was said Saria hands Link a pendant with three golden triangels on Link placed the necklace around his neck, he felt himself being pulled form the sacred relm and Hyrule itself to a new stands on a small cliff overlooking what seemed to be some sort of city.
At the same time the Z fighters were gathering.
"Well guys we are all here...eccept for Vegeta. Were could he be?"Goku asked.
"I dont know after a while I just lost track of him."Bulma replied as she played with baby Trunks.
"Well its 10:00 and no sign of the androids yet."Yamcha said as he looked down at the huge city below him.
"Hmmm....Lets see here lets get the biggest power reading out there..." Piccolo said as he looked around. "Well...well, Wow we got ouselves a whoper here guys. Its in that direction and it feels like a 1,000 at most" He said with a smirk.
"Lets go and check it out..." Kririn all began to float into the air and head in the direction of the power Piccolo had felt just momments before. As they got closer they all heard a very soothing melody and saw a small lad around the age of 16 sitting on a cliff playing an first to land by him was Goku and the others hoverd above as Goku had requested.
"Hello there...My name is Goku an who are you?"The lad looked up from his inserment and stood up."My name is Link are you the one I was sent to help in the battle agenst the androids?" Link asked.
"YOU ARE GONNA HELP ME?" Goku pointed at Link and fell over in laughter. Link looked at him and just sat back on the ground shakeing his head.
"Guys its ok come on down" The others landed softly."This guy says he is gonna help us HAHAHAHAHA!!!!" They all looked at him and then began to snicker.
At about this time an exposion happend in the sky behind them. All the Z fighters looked quickly and Link also stood.
"Its them!" Piccolo shouted as they saw two figures head into the city.
TO BE CONTINUED.
ive jacked of to this like 4 times already hope u can get the second part ready sooon.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tempy said:
What the hell. Both TP and PH were awesome. Some of you guys, damn.

And I propose the first few persons be banned who cry about how this GDC was disappointing and that there were no megatons. Sure, there might be an announcement or two, but this IS FUCKING GDC. New XNA is announced and one person here takes notice and goes "mehgaton"? WTF is wrong with you people; do you even know what GDC is for?

Sadly a lot of people don't seem to understand, but I don't blame them directly. I mean, look at what people keep shoving out on Twitters and in Podcasts.

The video game press is telling these people that GDC is E3 Jr. or even E3 itself in terms of announcements so I can't blame people for believing them.

Of course, the biggest issue is that the publishers themselves seem to be following through on this. We've gotten about four major announcements and we're not even that far into day two yet. Not to mention the endless torrent of downloadable and indie game announcements.

Aquanox said:
Very important exclusive racer that could potentially turn the tables at GDC.
Forza tease all over my face!

Chinner said:
ive jacked of to this like 4 times already hope u can get the second part ready sooon.
:lol :lol :lol

Please dear mods, give this man a tag!

:lol :lol :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
EmCeeGramr said:
The Ledgend of Zelda Meets DragonballZ

This story takes place after Link has defeated Ganon and in the dragonballZ timeline were the Androids have just arrived.

Link and Zelda are sitting in Hyrule castle drinking some red wine in front of a fire when a small shimmering light comes flickering in the notices this light and then jumps up in excitement as he realizes its his child hood friend, Navi. When he jump up he throws Zelda off of him and she land on the ground with a thud.
"NAVI!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!?" Link asked in excitement.
"Link have a seat for what I am about to tell you will astound you" Navi repies in a grim voice. Link takes a seat after helping up Zelda.
"I'm ready..." Link says in a serious voice.
"Good, there is a new danger but it is not directly in our world...in a land far form here there are very evil beings called "androids" in which will end up destorying there whole world and after that they will come here. They are increadably stong and increadably evil. They need the help of the ledgendary hero. You must pull the sword once again, and save the balence of the universe. Please will you help these people? They need your help..."
Link stood with an angry glare in his eyes, his head tilted down a walked out of the room and down the stone hallway. He threw open the doors of a small room and he emered with a green tunic on his brown boots, mirrored sheid in hand.
"Thats the Link I remember!" Navi shouted as he hovered over his head.
"Just one more thing...MY SWORD!" Link shouted. He barged out of the castle door and went into the temple of time. He pulled a small blue insterment out of his pocket and put it to his he played a melody on the insterment a symbol over the stone door in front of him open and a light poured he walked up to the pedistal of time a flash of light blinded him and out steped a very fimilar face. It was the face of Shike.
"I cannot come with you Link, and I know you will need as much help as you can get...please dont forget me when you are gone, and remember this song it will give you strength when you are weary." The figure pulls out a harp and begins to play a very sorrowful song.
Link puts the insterment to his lips and plays the melody "I will remember...forever"
He wispered as he looked at the figure in front of him disaper. He steped up to the sword and grabed it by the hilt. Pulling out of the stone unto which it lay with great ease. A blue light surrounded him and soon he was transported to the Temple of sages. There he met with all his old friends.
"Link we know of your newest quest, and we have agreed to give you a new item. This is called the Triforce Pendant. It gives the beared an increadable power. We know not what the power is but it is said my ledgend to be the greatest in the land."As this was said Saria hands Link a pendant with three golden triangels on Link placed the necklace around his neck, he felt himself being pulled form the sacred relm and Hyrule itself to a new stands on a small cliff overlooking what seemed to be some sort of city.
At the same time the Z fighters were gathering.
"Well guys we are all here...eccept for Vegeta. Were could he be?"Goku asked.
"I dont know after a while I just lost track of him."Bulma replied as she played with baby Trunks.
"Well its 10:00 and no sign of the androids yet."Yamcha said as he looked down at the huge city below him.
"Hmmm....Lets see here lets get the biggest power reading out there..." Piccolo said as he looked around. "Well...well, Wow we got ouselves a whoper here guys. Its in that direction and it feels like a 1,000 at most" He said with a smirk.
"Lets go and check it out..." Kririn all began to float into the air and head in the direction of the power Piccolo had felt just momments before. As they got closer they all heard a very soothing melody and saw a small lad around the age of 16 sitting on a cliff playing an first to land by him was Goku and the others hoverd above as Goku had requested.
"Hello there...My name is Goku an who are you?"The lad looked up from his inserment and stood up."My name is Link are you the one I was sent to help in the battle agenst the androids?" Link asked.
"YOU ARE GONNA HELP ME?" Goku pointed at Link and fell over in laughter. Link looked at him and just sat back on the ground shakeing his head.
"Guys its ok come on down" The others landed softly."This guy says he is gonna help us HAHAHAHAHA!!!!" They all looked at him and then began to snicker.
At about this time an exposion happend in the sky behind them. All the Z fighters looked quickly and Link also stood.
"Its them!" Piccolo shouted as they saw two figures head into the city.
TO BE CONTINUED.

Yes, exactly. This is exactly how I envisioned it. It is as if you are reading directly out of the Tome that l. ron brandnew has written

birdchili

new control paradigms, new distribution systems, really short console games, ...

there's lots of dev-related stuff going on this gen that makes gdc a better venue to bust-out some nifty new thing than it would have possibly been mid-ps2-gen?

Nizz

jmonteiro said:
Nope, up until now is more about how they moving all the code to the SPUs. Very good stuff but very technical, C / assembler / dma code all over the slides
More people (third parties mainly, though not all third parties) should spread the love across the SPUs.

thaOwner

Wii Will Rock U said:
Does he have a bad rep?
lol "Does he have a bad rep ?" haha

I'd rather not get into that right now but just take what he is saying with a grain of salt. If OXM are to be believe, something big will be announced today from Microsoft but it would be smart to wait and see what it is first.

TeethMummy said:
Someone just announce Gran Turismo 5 for this year and give me reason to be as excited as that ridiculous .gif up there.

Someone in the know on GTPlanet already hinted that we're going to be hearing about it soon. I figure it'll be E3 though.

Spiegel

SolidSnakex said:
Someone in the know on GTPlanet already hinted that we're going to be hearing about it soon. I figure it'll be E3 though.

It would be awesome if we hear about GT5 and Forza 3 today. Too bad is only going to be FM3

Parl

My prediction for Iwata-san's keynote tomorrow is that there will be some decent announcements/new footage for previous known about titles.

I also anticipate that there will be no Zelda Wii unveiling (meaning a main, big budget, Zelda).

It'd be nice to be wrong on the latter, especially if latest iteration is freshened up. Ocarina, Majora's and Wind Waker all felt fresh to me. Twilight Princess didn't - not low quality by any means though.

As it's almost certain a Zelda Wii has been in development for quite some time, it's a when and not an if as to when we shall see it. This could be as late as E3 next year, but I expect that an unveiling gets more and more likely the further and further we go. By historical measures, a Zelda Wii unveiling is already overdue, but is GDC really suitable for the unveiling?

J-Rzez

Aquanox said:
Very important exclusive racer that could potentially turn the tables at GDC.

What tables are there at GDC to turn. Were there tables set there in the first place? These are developer conferences, not consumer. If there's tech of Forza 3 using real damage instead of smock ups, and they show off said tech for other developers to catch onto, then that's good. Anyways, the 2nd one handled well, needed some touching up at lower speed transitions, but all in all, felt pretty nice. If they can add a more weighty feel as well that'd be great. And it would be interesting to see if they're keeping their same "visual style", as opposed to say GT5Ps.

The most I'm hoping out of this conference is a video on controlling the chaos of 256 players in a persistent battlefield. :p

Aquanox

Just giving my best guess guys =)

Because:

1. No other big even until June.
3. Forza 1 2005, Forza 2 2007, Forza 3 ....
3. Forza has never been released Holidays. Smells like September.
4. Microsoft needs it to be hyped up before June.
5. Nothing to get excited about between now and E3.

To me, Forza 3 at GDC is a given.

professor_t said:
I think he's supposed to be like the Xbox version of Private Hoffman.

Don't know the guy, but ignore anything that comes from PS3forums.com. I was an Xbox supporter in a PS Fanboy website (sadly, mods included... in the last stage at least) but still lasted 3 years and was promoted to semi-mod. Was banned for defending a position about the differences between a multiplatform game accused for "editing" the pics adding blur, which later on was confirmed to be Quincunx in action.

So go figure where the talk comes from.

Mkliner

HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE! HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!

Wii Will Rock U said:
nobynoby.jpg
i'm scared :(

Aquanox

J-Rzez said:
What tables are there at GDC to turn. Were there tables set there in the first place? These are developer conferences, not consumer. If there's tech of Forza 3 using real damage instead of smock ups, and they show off said tech for other developers to catch onto, then that's good. Anyways, the 2nd one handled well, needed some touching up at lower speed transitions, but all in all, felt pretty nice. If they can add a more weighty feel as well that'd be great. And it would be interesting to see if they're keeping their same "visual style", as opposed to say GT5Ps.

The most I'm hoping out of this conference is a video on controlling the chaos of 256 players in a persistent battlefield. :p

Gears 2 was announced at GDC 08. Turn 10 develops Forza 3.

Now read the post again.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
this thread reads as if there is an IRC chat going on! :|

Why was I not invited? :(

[Nintex]

I see this as a 24 clock countdown scene.

One frame with Chinner jerking off to Dragonball Zelda fanfic, the second frame with Iwata stepping in his car.A third frame with Microsoft preparing the Forza 3 announcement and the final frame with Jack Bauer trying to sneak into GDC.

Chloe: "Jack, I'll get you into GDC!"
Jack: "Chloe create a distraction!"
Chloe: "Hang on Jack, I'm going to RROD those Xbox systems"
Chloe: "I'm sending a socket 5 bandwith limit now!"
Jack: "I said a distraction!"
Chloe: "Sorry Jack, I'll post something on Twitter so everyone will look at their cellphone for 5 minutes"
Jack: "What!? There is a NeoGAF IRC channel?"
Chloe: "That distraction wasn't meant for you Jack!"
Jack: "Oh shit here come the Nintendo Ninja's..."

Top Bottom