• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man, I really miss GEARS

Nosgotham

It's like you've never been on the internet before.

Here's some tips for your first day, if a topic being talked about is something you don't want ruined for you / might have spoilers, don't enter it then. Really just common sense.

Also most things are free to be talked about without using spoilers after a year or two, seeing as the last main game came out nearly four years ago, I'd say you're shit outta luck.

Now excuse me while I go whine about spoilers in a thread for a game I've not played / have no intention of playing.

I actually just got a 360 again and 3 is on my short list to play. I entered this thread because I'm excited to play gears 3 and I have fond memories of the first 2. Little did I know that there would be unmarked spoilers about it because usually gaf members are pretty good about marking them or announcing unmarked spoilers.

But I guess since I didn't have a 360 at the time of release I am shit out of luck, huh?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I disagree, I always thought the series was overrated. The controls were clunky, I don't think the combat was all that great. It got old very fast for me.

Then again typical action third person shooters, typically don't do it for me anymore. I need something else in them. Either stealth, puzzle solving, etc.

Mugatu

I disagree, I always thought the series was overrated. The controls were clunky, I don't think the combat was all that great. It got old very fast for me.

Then again typical action third person shooters, typically don't do it for me anymore. I need something else in them. Either stealth, puzzle solving, etc.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion - for me it was just about the opposite though. Before Gears I didn't really care much for third person shooters.

Cidd

Gears of War 1 will forever be my favorite 360 game, so many fond memories. My brother and I got so good we literally could 2 v 4 an entire team LoL. those were the glory days of Xbox live as well before party chat ruined it.

chemicals

I recently picked up Gears Of War 3 and Judgement. Both games are really great. Single player, coop, multiplayer, however you slice it. Good stuff. Maybe I will finally finish the GOW2 campaign. Lol

Touch

Gears did a lot of things right that's for sure. I wouldn't complain if they announced they were working on Gears 4.

Loved playing gears of war. Gears 1 and 2 are the best in terms of story mode. I like Gears 3 multiplayer even though some say the multiplayer in Gears 2 was better than 3.

ethomaz

Banned
Gears... hell yes I miss.
Gears 2... I'm missing yet but...
Gears 3... sorry but I don't miss anymore.
Gears spins-off... I don't want that please.

chemicals

I wasnt a fan of the first Gears multiplayer, but I still love the campaign. Either solo or coop, it's one of the best.

Grisby

This was fantastic.

Microsoft just could not be beaten on marketing in the 360 era.
Agreed. Their first party stuff was great.
Such a mediocre franchise.
p46qH.gif

We'll settle this the old navy way. First guy to die loses.

LAA

Tried judgement too recently from games with gold... Wasn't so impressed tbh. Didn't like the story telling approach and didn't like the declassified mission approach.

By far preferred the approach for the numbered gears. Hopefully X1 can bring it back on form, maybe even better.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
A few of us are still blasting it up in beast mode. When will those stranded and the COG ever learn?

faridmon

Games been out 4 years, its a thread about the series and how they missed them. It was obviously likely to contain possible spoiler content

Its also a perfect place for people who haven't played the games to know why people miss it in the first place. 4 years is not that far off. Do we have to spoil every game that is 4 or more years off now?

Its also a perfect place for people who haven't played the games to know why people miss it in the first place. 4 years is not that far off. Do we have to spoil every game that is 4 or more years off now?

If I hadnt played a game, I would have looked at the title and figured it was probably going to be spoileriffic and just not entered. You have to exercise your own judgment.

Re the OP, its a small spoiler for a game, but they could have posted worse/more, you could play the game and there is plenty of stuff not spoiled.

All this spoiler talk. People could assume there would be spoilers in this topic, but OP could just do the decent thing and tag the damn thing for those unsuspecting.

pr0cs

The series is still my favourite from last gen. The books are really good and add a lot to the game's mediocre story

HelloMeow

Gears 2 is from 2008. It's almost 7 years old.

Kapi96

I've only actually played Gears 1 & 2 and a tiny little bit of 3 mp. But yeah, I miss it too. Awesome games, especially the co op campaign :)

Judgment was such a bad...judgement.

"Hmm people like Horde mode...so lets string a bunch of horde arenas together with a flimsy story and some poor level design...oh and gut the multiplayer, less levels and game modes is better."

Jito

Banned
I actually just got a 360 again and 3 is on my short list to play. I entered this thread because I'm excited to play gears 3 and I have fond memories of the first 2. Little did I know that there would be unmarked spoilers about it because usually gaf members are pretty good about marking them or announcing unmarked spoilers.

But I guess since I didn't have a 360 at the time of release I am shit out of luck, huh?
Yeh that is what I said, you're shit outta luck and should have thought about not coming into a thread for old games you haven't finished yet.

I really despise the fact that basically every tps has a cover system now seemingly thanks to this series. Just let me crouch dammit, it's such a silly restriction.

I really feel like the series would benefit from ditching regen health. Stuff like snipers and dudes with boomshots aren't really all that terrifying in single player when everything kills you in like half a second on the harder difficulties anyway because that's what regen health will do to your game.

Also ffs make the enemies a little more like they are in cutscenes, enemies who attack in massive numbers not a squad of bullet sponges who sometimes hide behind chest high cover.

I really despise the fact that basically every tps has a cover system now seemingly thanks to this series. Just let me crouch dammit, it's such a silly restriction.

I really feel like the series would benefit from ditching regen health. Stuff like snipers and dudes with boomshots aren't really all that terrifying in single player when everything kills you in like half a second on the harder difficulties anyway because that's what regen health will do to your game.

Also ffs make the enemies a little more like they are in cutscenes, enemies who attack in massive numbers not a squad of bullet sponges who sometimes hide behind chest high cover.

Yeah but no other TPS cover system feels like gears

The way the characters just slam against the walls and the whole wall bouncing system is next to none.

They said gears and gnasher was an accident

But god dam, wall bouncing and gnasher are so satisfying!!!

Never had a game which gets me so angry and raged before which gears does lol, its addictive!!

I think the glitches which were in gears 1 & 2 where part of what made gears, gears and built the community

SomTervo

Probably depends on whether you care more about the campaign, or multiplayer. Gears threads tend to have everyone throwing around rankings of the games in the series, without specifying which of the two they're basing most of their judgement on. If you're multi-player focused, you'll tend to have different opinions of the games than someone that cares mostly about campaign/co-op.

A friend and I have played every other Gears together, so we're going to do the Judgment campaign too. (That the game is free with Gold right now makes that an easy choice.) I'm expecting the campaign to be little more than a basic sequence of Gears scenarios – not up to the standard of the main games – but that should be more than enough for some fun co-op.

The campaign is supposed to be great. The multiplayer is what most hardcore Gears fans hated. Seeing as how the multiplayer is typically more of an afterthought in reviews I'm not surprised the metacritic is that high.

Judgment wasn't that bad, no.

They made a lot of very minor tweaks, that by themselves weren't too big of a deal, but in aggregate turned off a lot of long time fans.

Changing the competitive modes to COG vs COG instead of keeping it COG vs Horde was a bad look in my book, but a lot of the other things they did were actually fun and refreshed the formula.

I really enjoyed the Overrun mode where you could play as different classes of Horde. The campaign was basically Arcade Mode from Gears 3 with optional modifiers to change things up each time you played if you wanted to. The other neat thing they did was make it more roguelike where every time you play a campaign level, the enemies were NOT scripted. So no two playthroughs are exactly alike.

For me, the campaign had lower highs but better lows, its very consistent and I did really enjoy it, I find it difficult to work out where I would place it in terms of which one I think is best, it has 4 player co-op, I didn't like the forced aspect of the campaign scoring/arcade stuff though, the Aftermath campaign is good too.

Overrun is legit great, 10000x better than Beast mode and I really hope they keep it for Gears 4. Survival wasn't great iirc and the main multiplayer component was not liked at all and I get why.

Its probably the worst of the 4 overall, 1 has the spectacle of being the first, the darker tone etc, 2 introduced Horde mode, it really was bigger better and more badass overall, but 3 was such an incredible refinement imo of the first two and added 4 player co-op, big Horde improvements/multiplayer improvements etc.

Its not terrible, its not the best Gears games at all but when you have a bar so high and make the mistakes they did, it will undoubtedly get called out for it and rightly so.

Thanks Team!

My gf found the opening 'tutorial' level of Gears 3 utterly impenetrable. Judgement being a prequel and also having a more 'middle of the road' campaign might be the perfect intro.

Top Bottom