• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: PS4 vs XB1 video (Gamersyde)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damaniel

Banned
There seem to be some differences in lighting between the two. I wouldn't call one worse than the other, just different at times.

Looking at those side by side, they're pretty much equal. If you look really close you can see the reduced resolution of the XB1 version, but everything else looks the same.

Noobcraft

Xbone version is stuttery as hell when the camera pans.

Why would you do that for a single player game that we know has differences? lol
I got the Xbox One version over the PS4 version too. There are a lot of factors that played into that, the major one for me being .PNG captures and the fact that they're automatically uploaded so I can share them more easily in the photo thread. Others being my PS4 controller is wearing down (battery and physically) and I have eneloops for my Xbox controller.

Nizz

I'm not worried about graphics in this genre, i just want stable 30 FPS.
Pretty much all I want as well. I'm honestly going to wait till I see a DF faceoff to decide if I'll get this game on PS4 or not. Game looks interesting but I would like to see how well the framerate holds up overall.

UnrealEck

They should pause at different moments and do a screen wipe from one to the other fullscreen.
At least they have 60 FPS to show both console versions in their full glory.
sorry

Piggus

Fun experiment:

Take a piece of paper and cover up one half, paying close attention to camera pans. Then do the same for the other side.

Then tell me "they're the same." Maybe the patch will fix the frametate issues on XB1, but damn. That chugging is pretty terrible.

Phreak47

Looks like it's really splitting hairs, but probably the best comparison shot is at 1:17

y4lUz24.jpg

Comparing the arms, XB1 looks a bit blurry compared to PS4. But really, who cares.

Well, it's a little more than that. Also, look at the eyes. Fairly noticeable difference there too.

FATALITY

Banned
I got the Xbox One version over the PS4 version too. There are a lot of factors that played into that, the major one for me being .PNG captures and the fact that they're automatically uploaded so I can share them more easily in the photo thread. Others being my PS4 controller is wearing down (battery and physically) and I have eneloops for my Xbox controller.

if those are the major factors i can't imagine what are the small ones

93xfan

Banned
I'm waiting to see which version has the smoothest framerate between the One and the PS4 version. The Xbox One seems a bit blurrier in that Gamersyde video, but not enough to sway me 100% towards the PS4 version.

The consensus is the ps4 had the better frame rate so far. Don't see that changing, but waiting never hurt anyone

woen

There's too little footage of the same part of the game — even if it's great quality — to tell what could change.

Phreak47

I bet it doesn't shit on command either. This game never had a chance in goty against Phantom Pain. Talk about lack of priorities smh.

This is probably the greater controversy. You don't even need side by side comparisons to understand horseshit versus a lack thereof.

bombshell

Fun experiment:

Take a piece of paper and cover up one half, paying close attention to camera pans. Then do the same for the other side.

Then tell me "they're the same." Maybe the patch will fix the frametate issues on XB1, but damn. That chugging is pretty terrible.

They are both on patch 1.01 which is the launch patch.

Cheech

Minor difference, but no, not identical.

It's identical "enough". Anyone who REALLY cares about getting the best version of the game is getting it on PC, regardless.

I'm getting it on PS4, but only because I don't want my kids firing it up, as the Xbox is essentially their system. I wouldn't hesitate to get it on Xbox given these very minor differences. Hell, it might be better to get it on Xbox for the superior controllers.

PS4 version looks more vibrant or maybe my eyes are deceiving me.

Not seeing any major differences apart from that, but it's hard to tell from such a short video. Any reason why it's so short?

BokehKing

Banned
If you can't tell the difference, then there is effectively no difference. It doesn't really matter if Digital Foundry can find a 3% discrepancy or whatever
Idk, that video looks like more than a 3% difference to me.
I own both systems, I'll wait for the digital Foundry review to see which version runs better before I make a purchase.

bombshell

PS4 version looks more vibrant or maybe my eyes are deceiving me.

Not seeing any major differences apart from that, but it's hard to tell from such a short video. Any reason why it's so short?

Yeah, there is.

Many people have asked us for a comparison video of both the PS4 and Xbox One versions of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I can't say I like these videos, so I'll do this one only showing the Griffon sequence. And since the lighting seems slightly different in both versions, this video really should only be used for framerate comparison, and even then... Like I told you, these videos aren't really my thing :)

xion4360

It's identical "enough". Anyone who REALLY cares about getting the best version of the game is getting it on PC, regardless..

well theres the best console version.. some people, like myself, just are not PC people and we play on console.. PC does not factor into it, like it just does not exist to me.

Are the cutscenes rendered realtime?

everything is, except for the CG opening scene as far as I know. Its easy to tell when there are differences in lighting and costume that would not show up if it were prerendered.

Identicals

You want graphics? buy a PC no a PS4

Irrelevant to people who are deciding between xbox one or ps4. bringing up pc in a console comparison every time is just stupid and annoying... so what if there is an all superior version, were not talking about that one.

omonimo

Banned
It's identical "enough". Anyone who REALLY cares about getting the best version of the game is getting it on PC, regardless.

I'm getting it on PS4, but only because I don't want my kids firing it up, as the Xbox is essentially their system. I wouldn't hesitate to get it on Xbox given these very minor differences. Hell, it might be better to get it on Xbox for the superior controllers.
Superior controllers... my God.

kpaadet

Okay, so uncompressed screenshots of a slightly blurry game or blurry screenshots of a less blurry game, I guess if you prefer looking at ss over playing the game your reason makes sense.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Lol are you people seriously jumping down his throat simply because he's choosing to buy the XB1 version over the PS4 version?

BigDug13

What do screenshots really showcase? No wonder these companies don't give a shit about framerates. Everyone just squabbles over image quality differences anyway. Who cares about that? I'm not playing screenshots. I'm playing a moving game. And it needs to move smoothly so that my controls are not impacted. Drops below 30 start to significantly impact control of my character.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Why would you do that for a single player game that we know has differences? lol

Few different reasons that added up for me
1)much prefer Xbox controller over ps4 for games I play more then a few hrs at a time. My set up doesn't like me plug in so when battery dies I'm forced to stop, and yes this happens a lot to me. Xbox lets me swap bats instantly.

2) hdd space, much easier to add more to Xbox. I tend to keep all my games installed. Only got 1tb on ps4 and have easy access up to 5tb on my Xbox just sitting around my house.

3) Direct X 12 patch?

4) had Witcher 2 on Xbox 360, kinda like keeping series on same system family (ie all assassin creed, battle field, far cry I buy are on Sony systems while all dragon age, mass effects, cod end up on Xbox systems). Yeah this is the dumbest reason.

If it was a huge difference I'd go ps4 but unless something changes in next few days it will be Xbox for me.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
A friend just told me the x1 red is dynamic results between 900 and 1080. First I'd heard, true?

Chobel

Few different reasons that added up for me
1)much prefer Xbox controller over ps4 for games I play more then a few hrs at a time. My set up doesn't like me plug in so when battery dies I'm force to stop, and yes this happens a lot to me. Xbox lets me swap bats instantly.

2) hdd space, much easier to add more to Xbox. I tend to keep all my games installed. Only got 1tb on ps4 and have easy assess up to 5tb on my Xbox just sitting around my house.

3) Direct X 12 patch?

4) had Witcher 2 on Xbox 360, kinda like keeping series on same system family (ie all assassin creed, battle field, far cry I buy are on Sony systems while all dragon age, mass effects, cod end up on Xbox systems). Yeah this is the dumbest reason.

If it was a huge difference I'd go ps4 but unless something changes in next few days it will be Xbox for me.

No, (3) is the dumbest reason.

A friend just told me the x1 red is dynamic results between 900 and 1080. First I'd heard, true?

Yes.

Courage

I got the XB1 version because it's the one the store near me had early (or at least the one they decided to sell early).

ironcreed

Banned
Lol are you people seriously jumping down his throat simply because he's choosing to buy the XB1 version over the PS4 version?

Seriously. I mean, who cares where people choose to play it? Both versions look great and I am sure those playing on Xbox One will enjoy the game just as much as everyone else.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I made very clear (or at least I thought so :) ) in the news that I did this video because people asked me to, but honestly it doesn't show much if anything besides some differences in framerate.
I don't like doing these comparison videos, so don't look too much into that one.
As for which version is better, the PS4 version is much smoother in terms of framerate than XB1, so the choice is clear. We'll have the replay of tonight's live stream up in a hour os so, and in this one we switched from the X1 version to PS4, and the difference is very noticeable.
It's doesn't mean the PS4 version is perfect though, it's very rarely locked at 30 fps from what I saw (first 90 minutes of the game, end of prologue).
Of course, we don't know if the current patch available for both consoles (v 1.01) is the day one patch or if there will be another before tuesday, but I doubt anyone would be willing to get a new patch live this close to launch...

Fat4all

Banned
Looks a tad blurry on the Xbox One side, doesn't seem that damning.

Doubt this will drive people away from the Xbone version, especially if they have it preordered already.

BriGuy

It is a bit silly given it's a single-player game. If I had a choice, I would pick the best looking and playing version that was available to me. Heck, I wouldn't think twice about it. It's not like my other systems are keeping tabs on how loyal I am to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom