• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbass_

Banned
Zhuk said:
GT5 will be a big title, but I think that it will sell as well as MGS4 which is a great sales success but I don't think that it will pull the kind of numbers it has in previous generations simply because the PS3 is not the mainstream console like the PS1 and PS2 were and that Sony has had a lot of trouble with creating 1st party success.

JoJo13 said:
My guess is it will sell worse than GT4 and GT3...

So that's probably...6-7 million units? I can see 1 million in Japan, 2 million in the US, and maybe 3 million in Europe being about right.

I think gamers have shifted their interests away from this genre recently, but maybe the power of the GT brand is strong enough to pull them back?

GT5 prologue actually sold at least 4millions (PSN store numbers is not counted below) which is according to some people its a Demo

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (America) 760K
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Europe) 2,160K
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Asia) 100K
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Japan) 650K

GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (Europe) 410K
GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (Asia) 160K
GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (Japan) 790K

Officially from polyphony

GT4 was even more popular than GT3 in Europe

GRAN TURISMO 3 (Europe) 5,850K
GRAN TURISMO 4 (Europe) 6,280K

GT5 will be fine if a demo can sell 4millions with like no user base at the time unbundled in america, you can only imagine how many copies it will sell with PS3 Slim/Price drop/Bundled

I'm sick of hearing people repeating every 2 pages that GT will be fine but it wont sell -.-

SolidSnakex said:
1z8wzq.jpg

what's that stuff on the seats? -_-

kazuma_pt said:
what's that stuff on the seats? -_-

Bass drivers that emit high frequency vibrations to counter that which would otherwise be an unpleasant rumbling when the engine hits peak RPMs.

Yeah, the fact of the matter is that I'm just kidding. It's probably some sort of mini bass-driver for added oomph to music or something. Or its a nozzle to refill waterbed chairs? :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
AranhaHunter said:
Very true and good point, but this generation is completely different than the other two where PS/2 was dominating. Like I said I'm hoping it's there and I'm hoping it's there from the get go and not as DLC.

It has nothing to do with dominance I don't think. It has to do mostly with manufacturers and resources. Some say yes, some say no. Some want money, some give money.

If manufacturers like Lamborghini, Porsche, Bugatti did not give consent for GT3/4 on PS2 which was the dominant console and sold gangbusters, logic would indicate they would not do it here either. However, Ferrari has already changed that and is a huge manufacturer in most any gamer and car enthusiast's book.

In the end there will always be manufacturers that did not make it in, and people will gripe. There will always be cars that make it into one game but not another. There will always be differences, pluses and minuses, but we need to look at it as a package I think and not focus on a couple of specific cars. If you line up the top requests I bet you PD approached them all and asked. Ferrari said yes. Maybe Lamborghini said no. Who knows.

I want a lot of them in too, but I also don't want what some other games do, take 1-2 flagship new super cars and that's it. I hate games that have 100 or 50 or less "top" cars and nothing else. And they are the same in every other game coming out for 1-2 years around it. NFS series in general is a big offender here.

I always liked the GT approach of giving you somewhat of a feel for a brand, from cheaper to the higher end, old to new, not just hand picking a couple. Sure not everything is in, but there is almost always a decent range.

And remember we now have Ferrari, Pagani as mentioned above, high end Mercedes, BMWs, Aston Martins and so forth. We are not looking at just cheapo Mazdas and Toyotas (no offense to those two, they crank out some nice cars). Not even thinking of GT series cars, rally and who knows what else.

Angeles said:
GT5 prologue actually sold at least 4millions (PSN store numbers is not counted below) which is according to some people its a Demo

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (America) 760K
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Europe) 2,160K
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Asia) 100K
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Japan) 650K

GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (Europe) 410K
GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (Asia) 160K
GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (Japan) 790K

Officially from polyphony

GT4 was even more popular than GT3 in Europe

GRAN TURISMO 3 (Europe) 5,850K
GRAN TURISMO 4 (Europe) 6,280K

GT5 will be fine if a demo can sell 4millions with like no user base at the time unbundled in america, you can only imagine how many copies it will sell with PS3 Slim/Price drop/Bundled

I'm sick of hearing people repeating every 2 pages that GT will be fine but it wont sell -.-

How do you know that?

AndyD said:
It has nothing to do with dominance I don't think. It has to do mostly with manufacturers and resources. Some say yes, some say no. Some want money, some give money.

If manufacturers like Lamborghini, Porsche, Bugatti did not give consent for GT3/4 on PS2 which was the dominant console and sold gangbusters, logic would indicate they would not do it here either. However, Ferrari has already changed that and is a huge manufacturer in most any gamer and car enthusiast's book.

In the end there will always be manufacturers that did not make it in, and people will gripe. There will always be cars that make it into one game but not another. There will always be differences, pluses and minuses, but we need to look at it as a package I think and not focus on a couple of specific cars. If you line up the top requests I bet you PD approached them all and asked. Ferrari said yes. Maybe Lamborghini said no. Who knows.

I want a lot of them in too, but I also don't want what some other games do, take 1-2 flagship new super cars and that's it. I hate games that have 100 or 50 or less "top" cars and nothing else. And they are the same in every other game coming out for 1-2 years around it. NFS series in general is a big offender here.

I always liked the GT approach of giving you somewhat of a feel for a brand, from cheaper to the higher end, old to new, not just hand picking a couple. Sure not everything is in, but there is almost always a decent range.

And remember we now have Ferrari, Pagani as mentioned above, high end Mercedes, BMWs, Aston Martins and so forth. We are not looking at just cheapo Mazdas and Toyotas (no offense to those two, they crank out some nice cars). Not even thinking of GT series cars, rally and who knows what else.

I agree with that, I think it's important to have low end and mid end cars as well from various manufacturers, I never said it wasn't.

I think Maserati is already in as well, is it not? And like I said, I guess I'm hopeful some more supercars will make it in, especially the ones you said (Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini)

paparazzo

Niks said:
I predict no info at GC...
:(
Full blowout and Christmas release date announced at TGS.
:)
How? The game was not so much as demoed at E3 and not actual gameplay was shown, except for the "teaser." Even God of War III's release date was announced, but for next March. Not so much as a whisper for GT5's release date makes me think it's probably fall 2010 now.

CHRP718

Banned
The Skater said:
How? The game was not so much as demoed at E3 and not actual gameplay was shown, except for the "teaser." Even God of War III's release date was announced, but for next March. Not so much as a whisper for GT5's release date makes me think it's probably fall 2010 now.
a_med_yamauchi1.jpg

Goldrusher

Yamauchi said the game is done.

He also, multiple times, stated that work on GT for PSP would begin once GT5 was finished.

GT for PSP is also pretty much done.

We basically got a playable demo of GT5 as far back as December 2006, called GTHD Concept. The game's engine was running incredibly well already, only a month after the PS3 launch.
Then we got a demo for Prologue in October 2007, with the actual Prologue game in December 2007.

So that's 3 years since the demo.

Yamauchi also likes the concept of DLC, a total of 40 cars, a track and a splitscreen mode was added to GT5 Prologue through patches.

I still believe in a September release. If it's Christmas, they'll miss out on a lot of sales, miss the slim release, have nothing against Forza 3 and won't be able to offer the public the trinity of GT5, U2 and R&C2. There's nothing else on the first-party front.
Surely Modern Warfare 2 will shift a lot of next-gen systems as well, MW2 is November I think ?

Then there's the connectivity with the PSP game, which release October 1.

Believe!

The Skater said:

Sony's said it'll be out in fiscal 2010. Kaz has said that they can release it at any time but they want to continue to polish it. He's also said that they'll give a release date for it soon.

-viper-

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Ferrari isn't the only supercar maker that GT has, they also have another

Pagani! Yeah, it's a shot of the interior because their interior designs are freaking gorgeous.
GT5 has plenty of supercars, but it would be nice to have those last two big manufacturers - Bugatti and Lamborghini. I heard Porsche is already in.

BeeDog

-viper- said:
GT5 has plenty of supercars, but it would be nice to have those last two big manufacturers - Bugatti and Lamborghini. I heard Porsche is already in.

Might I ask where you heard this?

Oh, and also, can't seem to find amar's old "wind" clues again (dead tired), someone mind reposting them, and if possible, with some possible interpretations?

The Skater said:

Before E3, GT PSP was considered by many to be vaporware.....

Goldrusher said:
Yamauchi said the game is done.

He also, multiple times, stated that work on GT for PSP would begin once GT5 was finished.

GT for PSP is also pretty much done.

We basically got a playable demo of GT5 as far back as December 2006, called GTHD Concept. The game's engine was running incredibly well already, only a month after the PS3 launch.
Then we got a demo for Prologue in October 2007, with the actual Prologue game in December 2007.

So that's 3 years since the demo.

Yamauchi also likes the concept of DLC, a total of 40 cars, a track and a splitscreen mode was added to GT5 Prologue through patches.

I still believe in a September release. If it's Christmas, they'll miss out on a lot of sales, miss the slim release, have nothing against Forza 3 and won't be able to offer the public the trinity of GT5, U2 and R&C2. There's nothing else on the first-party front.
Surely Modern Warfare 2 will shift a lot of next-gen systems as well, MW2 is November I think ?

Then there's the connectivity with the PSP game, which release October 1.

Believe!

I don't know about September, but October-November seems possible and even if they release after Forza, it won't matter as long as they advertise and get the word out that a new Gran Turismo is coming.

Darkpen said:
I'm not big on GT, but I hope they put in some sort of PSP PS3 connectivity between the two.

It's already confirmed you'll be able to transfer cars between the two games.

BeeDog said:
Might I ask where you heard this?

Oh, and also, can't seem to find amar's old "wind" clues again (dead tired), someone mind reposting them, and if possible, with some possible interpretations?

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115870

I think most people's interpretation is pretty much this:

1. Simultaneous worldwide release by December 2009 or March 2010 (depending on how you interpret it)
2. Shitload of cars and tracks including remakes from GT4
3. Possible track editor
4. Voice chat, party mode, clan suport, lobby, major online support
5. Premium and basic sku
6. GT for PSP Go (confirmed)

-x.Red.x-

AranhaHunter said:
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115870

I think most people's interpretation is pretty much this:

1. Simultaneous worldwide release by December 2009 or March 2010 (depending on how you interpret it)
2. Shitload of cars and tracks including remakes from GT4
3. Possible track editor
4. Voice chat, party mode, clan suport, lobby, major online support
5. Premium and basic sku
6. GT for PSP Go (confirmed)

Is that guy someone official? or we can trust?

-x.Red.x-

Liabe Brave said:
He's not with Polyphony, but Amar (who posts here as amar212, I think) is very reliable. He's quite well-known at GT Planet.
Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up, since I remember seeing a photo with those "details"

spwolf

Saiyar said:
Famitsu puts the combined sales of GT5:p and spec III at around 550k. 650k sold to retail fits with those sales.

i am pretty sure they count PSN sales as well... there are no 100k GT5P's in retail channels in Japan.

RavenFox

Banned
People posting in this thread about stuff that they know nothing of and also notice no one but the GT fans stay up to date with the news. The post about psp-ps3 connectivity was rich. Looks like the doors of the caves opened for summer.

RavenFox said:
People posting in this thread about stuff that they know nothing of and also notice no one but the GT fans stay up to date with the news. The post about psp-ps3 connectivity was rich. Looks like the doors of the caves opened for summer.

Well I will admit that ive never played a GT game beyond one or two races before but I think, from what Ive seen and heard in this thread, that I would be up for adding GT5 to my library once it comes.

Darkpen

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
It's already confirmed you'll be able to transfer cars between the two games.
Oh, ok.

I was actually hoping for something a bit more significant than that, but I guess that works.

Zhuk

Banned
I would be very surprised if the other big European Super/Sportscar marques didn't make it into GT this time around, fans have wanted it for a long, long time to be able to drive a Porsche or Lambo around the track, especially a GT3 which would be nice.

GameStop now lists GT5 for December:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75118

What's odd about this is that the game was set for May 2010 in our system up until yesterday, and it had been that way since it was first put into the system after the E3 teaser was shown.

GameStop, from what I've seen in my year working there, only changes placeholder dates when either they receive new information from the publisher, or else the date is obviously wrong (for example, they listed Little King's Story for May, then May came along with no word on an actual release date, so they changed the date to June, and later changed it to July when an official date was finally revealed). In either situation, they rarely move dates forward. It's almost always a delay.

It's obvious which of two scenarios I've outlined above has come to pass. Even if they got nothing more than "2009" out of Sony, the date has been changed, and it was changed for a reason.

More fuel on the fire for an '09 release. I expect to hear something at either GamesCom or TGS.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dunno if this is news, but there's a new york times article today about the Citroen GT supercar:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/14/citroen-confirm-2-million-gt-supercar/

Citroën has confirmed plans to build the Citroën GT, a two-seat sports car originally created for the virtual world of the Gran Turismo 5 racing simulator for the PlayStation 3. The car will be available worldwide, said a Citroën spokeswoman.

Despite being a volume car company – PSA Peugeot Citroën sold 3.26 million vehicles in 2008 – only six examples of the GT are going to be built, with each mid-engine two-seater costing $2.1 million.

At the very least the date is nothing more than a placeholder for a December release. Although it is rather specific; most placeholders are dated as the first of any given month until an exact date is pinned down.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The 21st would be a weird date to release though. I'd assume they'd want a bit more lead-in time to Xmas...although the rush to buy it around those 4 days would be ..interesting.

Weird also that Gamestop moved the date from May to Dec, though. I want to believe.

Niks

Historical release dates for the Gran Turismo series (JPN)

Gran Turismo - December 23, 1997
Gran Turismo 2 - December 11, 1999
Gran Turismo 3 - April 28, 2001
Gran Turismo 4 - December 28, 2004

Its been hinted GT5 will be released worldwide on the same date.

Niks said:
Historical release dates for the Gran Turismo series (JPN)
*taken from wiki

Gran Turismo December 23, 1997
Gran Turismo 2 December 11, 1999
Gran Turismo 3 April 28, 2001
Gran Turismo 4 January 10, 2005

Its been hinted GT5 will be released worldwide on the same date.

GT4 was released on December 28th

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan revealed today that Japanese shipments for Gran Turismo 4 reached the million mark in the two days following the game's release on 12/28.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/577/577462p1.html

GT4P and GT5P were also released in December. GT3 is the oddball. :p

Seems kinda dumb to me that they would release two games within a month or two of each other. Thats why I think this game will be in 2010 :(

Goldrusher

Lion Heart said:
Seems kinda dumb to me that they would release two games within a month or two of each other. Thats why I think this game will be in 2010 :(
Because everyone has every system and GT for PSP is just as good as 1080p damage 16 player online GT5, right ?

Will we see Porche, Lamborghini in the PSP version? - wbrinkman

Our car selection is pretty broad — there is a lot of candy, that’s for sure — but as far as flavors, you’ll just have to wait a bit more.

Hmm...

Cmon fellas…GT5 Prologue update? Eh, eh? Custom soundtracks? Maybe trophies, a lobby system? Screenshot function? - FoomMan

Sorry FoomMan, we’re around the bend and down the straight: the team’s main focus at this point is making sure GT PSP (and GT5) are in your hands.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/07/14/gran-turismo-psp-your-questions-answered/

Good to see that they've dumped plans for Prologue updates and moved onto just trying to get GT5 (and GTPSP) out.

Ranger X

AranhaHunter said:
I don't know what to make out of that answer to Lambo and Porsche.....why can't they just give us a yes or no?

Leaving people in their wishes = more sales.

People deceived that one of them isn't there = less sales.

Knowing both are there = missed potential marketing boom near launch? I dunno.

AranhaHunter said:
I don't know what to make out of that answer to Lambo and Porsche.....why can't they just give us a yes or no?

Because those would be big announcements as they're two brands that fans have been asking them to put in the series. So if they're going to be in then they'll be unveiled in a trailer rather than in a blog post. If they're in then I expect them to be in the next GT5 trailer.

spwolf

Ranger X said:
Leaving people in their wishes = more sales.

People deceived that one of them isn't there = less sales.

Knowing both are there = missed potential marketing boom near launch? I dunno.

if they told us everything right now, then everyone would be "meh, nothing new in GT5" when the game is actually released... Like PSP Go! became boring because it was leaked even if people were spanking monkeys year ago on mere mention of internal drive :D

-x.Red.x-

Will we see Porche, Lamborghini in the PSP version? - wbrinkman

Our car selection is pretty broad — there is a lot of candy, that’s for sure — but as far as flavors, you’ll just have to wait a bit more.

YES
one, those cars are in GT5/(GTpsp)
AND a 09 release date but after Oct.1st but before 2010

that's how i take it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom