• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

Thorakai

As someone that hasn't really played since Reach, that demo looked really different stylistically than what I was accostomed from Bungie. Too much shootbang going on.

Sorry if it was mentioned in the thread, but is any part of the campaign playable on the show floor? I was hoping for a little more than what we got in regards to story/campaign stuff at the conference.

Just watched it. Underwhelming.

It looks solid, but the scripted sequences, scan for clues/ammo, reviving downed teammates, and general chatter/orders just felt so lifeless. It's just seems like such a predictable yet boring step while also adding that much more linearity.

I love me some Halo, the idea of Fred, Linda and Buck in the same game is so awesome but I can wait.

4 pages in 5 hours :-|

Yeah, I am still wondering about that too. Not sure what's going on exactly.

Also, after watching the Battlefront and Halo 5 samples several times. Damn, it's such a shame that Halo 5 is still using those Halo 4 particle effects. Just look at the grenade that the rebel threw, look at the electricity running across the AT-AT as it's hit. That's damn fine.

Sai

Wow. GAF is harsh. :x

I completely understand why they had to run this kind of demo for the tradeshow, but I do hope they show some bigger playspaces from the Campaign soon. At least, visually, it looked great.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
As a huge halo fan and an xb1 owner I'm a little let down by that trailer. I absolutely do appreciate that they are showing real gameplay here and there's still time to polish it up but it looked a bit underwhelming. Sound design is fucking awesome. Obviously still a day one buy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There was that larger open area towards the tail end of the demo, but the "lol what are thumbs" difficulty level they were rocking didn't really do it its due.

The demo was deliberately a clean linear section to show off a few features. The game is actually more expansive with more possible routes and methods to finish than ever before- and the "scripted" bits, like Locke falling after the EMP bit are there largely for story (as opposed to QTE tasks).

Would have been tricky to demo the more common bits where the squad Divides and conquers. You'll see more of it this year.

Halo is a dying breed.

Not necessarily. It's something with this demo, that's for sure. The past week or so featured enough Halo threads, and all of them were pretty damn active. At first I thought it had to do with the conferences being ongoing and whatnot, but the Battlefront thread is already at 12+ pages and there was a pretty large time gap between the two.

Damn, I really hope that 343 shows up on wednesday with their own panel. Maybe showcase that blue team level that Greenskull etc. got to play?

Also, god knows why Xbox uploads a non-60fps version. I just watched the gamersyde one and it makes a large difference, my 60fps stream was dying on me during the Halo 5 segment sadly.

Kssio_Aug

I liked what I saw! Sure in Halo usually there are larger areas, but also there are some smallest areas. And this one wasn't that claustrophobic either!

However, the MP Warzone mode called my attention way more! That one seems pretty damn great!

The problem is that I was expecting them to show more about the co-op and the campaing itself... I don't think they demoed it really well. I was expecting them to show the menus, and how is it done to join a co-op now, to show the HUD differences between the two players... things like this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Have not played Halo since 3.

The gameplay trailer seemed to be heavily COD like with it's set pieces and action.

Other than the weapon sound effects, I could have seen this as a COD game personally.

Has it slowly evolved to be more COD ish? (honest question)

FordGTGuy

Banned
Just watched it. Underwhelming.

It looks solid, but the scripted sequences, scan for clues/ammo, reviving downed teammates, and general chatter/orders just felt so lifeless. It's just seems like such a predictable yet boring step while also adding that much more linearity.

I love me some Halo, the idea of Fred, Linda and Buck in the same game is so awesome but I can wait.

I'm glad you've played the entire game already, they've already said that this is the most open Halo game ever made but sure let's judge it on five minutes of gameplay.

The gameplay trailer seemed to be heavily COD like with it's set pieces and action.

Other than the weapon sound effects, I could have seen this as a COD game personally.

Halo 5 plays nothing like COD.

tuna_love

Banned

I don't believe this an honest question at all

I think the GI article spoiled everything that the presentation wanted to show. Without knowing that you can command your team, revive teammates, etc it surely would be better. But nearly no respones to the trailer here is saying a lot I guess

The demo was deliberately a clean linear section to show off a few features. The game is actually more expansive with more possible routes and methods to finish than ever before- and the "scripted" bits, like Locke falling after the EMP bit are there largely for story (as opposed to QTE tasks).

Would have been tricky to demo the more common bits where the squad Divides and conquers. You'll see more of it this year.

Huh.

Any chance that we might see more it this week?

This was quite obvious to me and makes sense, but I'm still surprised people are writing it off as linear, despite the snippets that played at the end of the gameplay demo. Someone needs to come through with the GIFs.

Arnie

Roughly, what's the split of Promethean to Covenant? If it's something you can't answer just give it us really roughly, I'll interpret/misinterpret at my own discretion.

Really looks like they're continuing some of the mistakes they made with Halo 4.

Hit markers and sprint, good googly moogly 343.

The bits they showed at the very end were interesting but it's hard to really tell because that was all in a fast compilation. Nothing really shown is selling me on a X1.

lol...

Halo 1-3 you moved from playground to play ground. The ultimate path was linear but with large sandbox areas between.

Halo 4 was for the most part a corridor shooter and Halo 5 looks the same.

You have seen just 1 small part of halo 5, I can rattle off full levels from halo 1-3 that are at least as linear and closed in as this demo.

FordGTGuy

Banned
This was quite obvious to me and makes sense, but I'm still surprised people are writing it off as linear, despite the snippets that played at the end of the gameplay demo. Someone needs to come through with the GIFs.

Because most people see something and will instantly judge it without actually reading into it.

We already know from the GI info that this will the most open Halo title and the most paths through levels and completely objectives.

Really looks like they're continuing some of the mistakes they made with Halo 4.

The bits they showed at the very end were interesting but it's hard to really tell because that was all in a fast compilation. Nothing really shown is selling me on a X1.

If you don't like sprint and hit markers than this isn't the game for you.

Detective

This is very hard to say. But that didn't scream next Gen graphics. I love Halo. But am disappointed at those Graphics. Same explosions, same effects.

I just wanna know why Halo never looks great when it comes out. Like a next Gen. Except for Halo CE which looked great when it came out all other Halo titles looked mediocre.

If its the engine, licenses another one or build something new, not based on but totally new.

Maybe am mistaken, But that's what I felt when I saw it.

Hope am wrong..

Day one for sure as for every Halo title.

OverHeat

« generous god »

direct feed on Halo Channel now plz ;)

Monocle

I'm glad you've played the entire game already, they've already said that this is the most open Halo game ever made but sure let's judge it on five minutes of gameplay.
If you read that post again I think you'll find he was judging that five minutes of gameplay, not the whole game. I don't think it helps the discussion to overreact to well articulated impressions of things we were actually shown.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This is very hard to say. But that didn't scream next Gen graphics. I love Halo. But am disappointed at those Graphics. Same explosions, same effects.

I just wanna know why Halo never looks great when it comes out. Like a next Gen. Except for Halo CE which looked great when it came out all other Halo titles looked mediocre.

If its the engine, licenses another one or build something new, not based on but totally new.

Hope am wrong..

Sorry but Halo 4 looked mind-blowing given the hardware it was tied to.

rokkerkory

Somehow I feel nothing will sell you on it either.

FordGTGuy

Banned
If you read that post again I think you'll find he was judging that five minutes of gameplay, not the whole game. I don't think it helps the discussion to overreact to well articulated impressions of things we were actually shown.

That's funny because this sounded like a remark towards the entire game in general.

It's just seems like such a predictable yet boring step while also adding that much more linearity.

shrek

Banned
This thread isn't all that hot because there is literally nothing to talk about. The campaign demo was terrible because it was linear, scripted, and showed barely anything. With Warzone, we still don't know anything about it. It might as well simply be BTB with some AI thrown in.

Whereas the Battlefront trailer is the first real gameplay we've seen and that was one hell of a trailer, though it has the exact opposite problem. The game looks amazing but will likely not be anything like that demo, whereas Halo will likely be much better than what we saw today (hopefully).

Hope am wrong..

I kind of felt the same, but watching it again and seeing how much stuff was going on at the same time blew me away. Pay special attention to the clips after the gameplay demo ends, especially the vehicle combat ones. Looks incredible to me.

FordGTGuy

Banned

Hope am wrong..

Someone didn't play Halo 4, the jump between 3 and 4 is huge.

Honestly playing it on MCC makes it seem like it shouldn't even have been able to exist on Xbox 360.

This thread isn't all that hot because there is literally nothing to talk about. The campaign demo was terrible because it was linear, scripted, and showed barely anything. With Warzone, we still don't know anything about it. It might as well simply be BTB with some AI thrown in.

Whereas the Battlefront trailer is the first real gameplay we've seen and that was one hell of a trailer, though it has the exact opposite problem. The game looks amazing but will likely not be anything like that demo, whereas Halo will likely be much better than what we saw today (hopefully).

The point of the demo was to show off story.

Before even seeing this gameplay we learned from GI that the game isn't like this most of the time. This also won't be the only Halo we see at E3...

This the first time we've really seen Halo 5 campaign too.

What? This is exactly what these trailers are for - to build excitement. If it's not showing anything exciting then it's fair to be underwhelmed.

Before even seeing this gameplay we learned from GI that the game isn't like this most of the time. This also won't be the only Halo we see at E3...

This the first time we've really seen Halo 5 campaign too.

GI was only WORDS... we havent seen anything they are claiming...

FordGTGuy

Banned
What? This is exactly what these trailers are for - to build excitement. If it's not showing anything exciting then it's fair to be underwhelmed.

It was awesome, showed off graphics, new command system and that they are telling a real story with the game.

GI was only WORDS... we havent seen anything they are claiming...

Yes because 343 lied to Game Informer and Stinkles is lying to everyone on GAF.

That's funny because this sounded like a remark towards the entire game in general.

My impression was based on predictable features such as downed teammates, and the linearity that they selected to show to everybody. I'll happily getting excited if the next demo is amazing. But that was boring as fuck.

It was awesome, showed off graphics, new command system and that they are telling a real story with the game.

Yes because 343 lied to Game Informer and Stinkles is lying to everyone on GAF.

I think you may need to take a step back. It's great that you liked it, but there's no need to defend the showing.

Monocle

What a bunch of whiners in here. That demo look pretty blood good. Can't wait to play it.
Explaining why we don't like what we saw isn't whining. Stop trying to sabotage discussion just because some opinions don't align with yours. Why not talk about what you liked in the demo?

Top Bottom