• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Il-2 Birds of Prey 360 demo tomorrow

maxmars

PjotrStroganov said:
However. It's up to the developer to make the game work with the hardware it is compatible with. This means that you have to take the differences into account between peripherals, such as a controller and a joystick.

I haven't played the demo, as I don't have a 360 or PS3, but are the controls busted? As in, "press right and it lowers the gear" Or is it that you'd like a "servo-ed" experience?

maxmars said:
I haven't played the demo, as I don't have a 360 or PS3, but are the controls busted? As in, "press right and it lowers the gear" Or is it that you'd like a "servo-ed" experience?

Nah not busted (except maybe the click and hold the right analogue stick to look around) but the game makes it very hard to play fluently with a pad. Harder than playing it with a real joystick. Of course, the limitation begins with the analogue sticks but it's up to the dev to work within these limitations.

I really have to play some more to really get a feel for it. Maybe all the pieces will fall into place once I've put some serious time into it. As for now these are my initial observations. And of others it seems.

PjotrStroganov said:
Of course, the limitation begins with the analogue sticks but it's up to the dev to work within these limitations.

Agreed. I'm a PC gamer through and through - and I understand the love for a good joystick. But this is a console release, and if the developers don't optimize the controls for the given controller it would be a pretty big disappointment. A cop out. I have faith, or at least I'm hoping, that after this demo they still have time to optimize the controls before it's release.

Zenith

Banned
glaurung said:
But should I wait for the PS3 version?

I think it's simultaneous release. Isn't the PS3 demo coming next thursday? Just depends which console you have has more multiplayer friends and if you own a joystick for one.

ruxtpin

Banned
Any word on the controls being customizable? I don't mind the throttle being on the right stick, but I'd much prefer the yaw - I believe it's called that - on the left and right bumpers and not on the right thumbstick.

Daigoro

i played the demo and i like it a lot. its really cool. im sure ill be picking this up at some point. probably on the cheap though...

PoweredBySoy said:
Agreed. I'm a PC gamer through and through - and I understand the love for a good joystick. But this is a console release, and if the developers don't optimize the controls for the given controller it would be a pretty big disappointment. A cop out. I have faith, or at least I'm hoping, that after this demo they still have time to optimize the controls before it's release.

The game has already RTM; the gold discs have been sent off to manufacturing. The controls in the final game will match that of the demo unless there is a patch at some point.

Other than sensitivity adjustments that are present (and which many people seem to have not tried), there really shouldn't be any special coding to address joypad players in the Realistic and Simulation modes, as the only thing that can really be done is to add assists and that is against the spirit of realism.

There's a lot of game there in Arcade mode and spending an extra $40 to buy a stick to get the most out of Realistic/Sim seems reasonable.

Daigoro said:
i played the demo and i like it a lot. its really cool. im sure ill be picking this up at some point. probably on the cheap though...

If you like seeing games like this on consoles, I'd suggest supporting the developer and publisher by buying at launch or even preordering.

Asmodai

Banned
glaurung said:
But should I wait for the PS3 version?

I heard something about the PS3 having a cheaper flight stick available than the Ace Edge, one that only costs around 50 bucks, but is much better than the Saitek for the 360. Since flight sticks are important for this game, that might be a reason to go for the PS3 version if you own both consoles.

Ruxtpin, unfortunately there is no control customization for analogs or flight sticks.

Personally the analogs aren't bad, but they definitely aren't a flight stick. I got through the Cliffs of Dover mission on Simulation easily enough, though my wings got shot to hell by He 111 tail gunners.

Playing on Simulation with all HUD off really gives you an appreciation for how difficult doing basically everything would be for the pilots. Identifying aircraft in the distance is hard enough, but telling if they're friendly before you fire is even harder. By the time you're close enough to recognize the difference between a Bf 109 and Hurricane silhouette, you could have already opened fire.

Same thing with hitting ground positions with rockets in the P-51. I needed to fly by the artilllery a few times before I could get a good enough approach to actually hit one.

But man, when you do hit something successfully, it just means so much more in Simulation.

UrokeJoe

After turning down the sensitivity I've gotten more used to the controls. I was even able to finish Tiger Hunt on realistic, but man do I want a stick!

xbhaskarx

Apparently I suck unless I'm on anything but Arcade difficulty. I really enjoyed the tutorial, and then I tried playing Dover with realistic difficulty, pretty much everything I did made my plane stall, tailspin, and eventually crash. I still had fun with it, but instead of actually trying I was just crashing into the houses, cliffs, ships, and lighthouses. It's a lot prettier than Ace Combat 6 and HAWX but it's just too hard for me.

Also this is neither here nor there but if console sales are so important I'm not sure "IL-2 Sturmovik" is really the best name for getting new people interested in the game...

WEGGLES

Oh boy!
Can't wait to try it.

Game looks really cool, but I'm not a fan of rather sim-y games, so this works out perfectly for me. :)

soultron

Banned
Asmodai said:
Playing on Simulation with all HUD off really gives you an appreciation for how difficult doing basically everything would be for the pilots. Identifying aircraft in the distance is hard enough.
Same thing with hitting ground positions with rockets in the P-51. I needed to fly by the artilllery a few times before I could get a good enough approach to actually hit one.

But man, when you do hit something successfully, it just means so much more in Simulation.
These are the things I absolutely love about Simulation mode. You're locked to your cockpit view and are forced to track targets using the RS and do constant visual checks before you fire. When you manage to peg a bomber's engines from really far out, you feel like a bad ass.

I love this demo so far. I cannot wait for the retail product!

d4renb

Neo Member
I enjoyed the demo far more than I had expected. The arcade controls are spot on for my level of flight sim experience (little) and the terrain detail is mighty impressive.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Does anyone know if the two DLC planes available through Game (I think...?) are being offered in the States as part of any pre-order incentive? I saw Gamestop has a t-shirt for pre-ordering, but I want my P-47 Thunderbolt. I fear some of the coolest planes may only be offered as pay DLC on down the road. And on that note, has anyone seen a list of the included planes in the final game?

Cool demo, though I agree with many here that the controller does not suit the more hardcore sim settings. Seems fun enough in arcade mode anyway, and with practice I'm sure I'll get better at realistic at least.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Other than sensitivity adjustments that are present (and which many people seem to have not tried), there really shouldn't be any special coding to address joypad players in the Realistic and Simulation modes, as the only thing that can really be done is to add assists and that is against the spirit of realism.

There's a lot of game there in Arcade mode and spending an extra $40 to buy a stick to get the most out of Realistic/Sim seems reasonable.

I don't know, I guess I kinda disagree. If one has to buy a joystick in order to play the game proper, what's the point of it being on console then? If I'm going to start buying peripherals it's going to be on PC.

I didn't enjoy Arcade mode very much, it was far too easy. There are other aspects of Realistic and Simulation I want besides stricter controls - limited ammo, no hud, slower speeds, etc.. It's just unfortunate I dislike the controls as much as I do when those things are enabled.

Sometimes demo's are based off older builds, or perhaps the can patch the controls after release. Or perhaps they're completely happy with the way it turned out and the game's just not for me. Which would suck, because I would like to support more 'mature' sim games for console.

I loved the demo, only one minor quip about the controls. I haven't read all of the posts in this thread so I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but I cant stand pressing the right analog stick in to look around. It was so much better the way ace combat had it(just move the stick instead of pressing it in). I didnt get enough time with the demo to see if there was any way to change this. Otherwise, sweet demo. I love flight sims so this is right at home with me.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
I don't know, I guess I kinda disagree. If one has to buy a joystick in order to play the game proper, what's the point of it being on console then? If I'm going to start buying peripherals it's going to be on PC.

You could say the same thing for any genre where a peripheral is needed to play a game "proper". Although you can play fighting games with a pad. you need a joystick to get the most out of them. Same for "sim" racers on consoles, you need a good wheel to get the most out of the game. There will be exceptions of course, some people excel at fighting games using only a pad. Some people will tear up a racetrack with a pad.

Crag Dweller said:
You could say the same thing for any genre where a peripheral is needed to play a game "proper". Although you can play fighting games with a pad. you need a joystick to get the most out of them. Same for "sim" racers on consoles, you need a good wheel to get the most out of the game. There will be exceptions of course, some people excel at fighting games using only a pad. Some people will tear up a racetrack with a pad.

I would indeed say that, and it's why I don't own wheels or sticks either. For me console games mean living room couch, and it's not a space for resting large wobbly controllers on my lap. But of course that's just me.

I stopped playing fighting games when arcades died (/sad) and I think racing sims too are better served on PC. I want Birds of Prey, which, lets be honest, is sim-lite, playable with the controller.

mwgiii

The arcade mode was fun, but holy shit the sim mode was almost impossible with a 360 controller. I kept getting into a death spiral.

mjolnirsbane

Neo Member
Malio said:
Nice, can't wait to try this out. Unless it's like HAWX. This game isn't like HAWX is it?

No... much, much better. Acrade through simulation so it's as hard or as easy as you want it to be. I thought Hawx suxed. :D

Sonos

Banned
This, Borderlands and MW2 are my most anticipated titles of fall after the demo. But I agree with the guy above who said clicking the right stick to look around the plane is a bit cumbersome. By a bit, I mean a lot.

Demo was still excellent though regardless.

mwgiii said:
The arcade mode was fun, but holy shit the sim mode was almost impossible with a 360 controller. I kept getting into a death spiral.

Did you crank down the sensitivity at least half-way?

Asmodai

Banned
mwgiii said:

It was hard to avoid that on default sensitivity. If you go into the options menu and reduce the sensitivity levels by about half each, it's MUCH much easier to control the aircraft well.

With the new sensitivity levels, I've got into a total of two spins in about 3 hours of flying. Both spins were at low altitude with the P-51D, which is notorious for handling poorly at low altitude. And I managed to get out of one spin as well...not so lucky for the other.

The learning curve is so great, shooting down enemy aircraft and hitting the ground targets well really means so much on simulation mode.

PoweredBySoy said:
I want Birds of Prey, which, lets be honest, is sim-lite, playable with the controller.

It is playable with the controller. Lots of people have completed the demo missions on sim and realistic with the controller.

Have you tried cranking the sensitivity way down? After doing so, have you dedicated at least a couple hours or so to developing your skills playing the harder modes with the controller? Lots of people are passionate enough about this game to have played the demo for six, ten, twelve hours and more. If you want realism, you have to have patience.

Now, if you are asking for the game to not just be playable with the controller, but to play as well with the controller as a stick, you are asking them to dumb down the game. No thanks. Go play Ace Combat or HAWX, this is not the game for you. You are not entitled to insist that a developer makes the game you want.

Sonos

Banned
Sorry if this was already addressed but does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced stick for a 360? One besides the AC6 packaged one?

I am not sure one exists.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
It is playable with the controller. Lots of people have completed the demo missions on sim and realistic with the controller.

Have you tried cranking the sensitivity way down? After doing so, have you dedicated at least a couple hours or so to developing your skills playing the harder modes with the controller? Lots of people are passionate enough about this game to have played the demo for six, ten, twelve hours and more. If you want realism, you have to have patience.

Now, if you are asking for the game to not just be playable with the controller, but to play as well with the controller as a stick, you are asking them to dumb down the game. No thanks. Go play Ace Combat or HAWX, this is not the game for you. You are not entitled to insist that a developer makes the game you want.

Sure it's playable. Hell, technically Lair was playable on release too. I just don't think it controls particularly well, and I think it has to do with the controls being mapped to the 360 analog stick. I know I'm not entitled to anything - I'm just saying I'm not paying money for this game. I wanted to though.

And why would I play trash like HAWX? Oh.... because I'm the simpleton. Got it.

kodt

Banned
Why are people complaining about no PC version?

IL-2 Sturmovik is a PC series and already has several games out on PC. They have long been considered the most realistic WWII flight sim games. Here, you can buy all 5 of them in one pack for just over $10 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N4JENW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I am sure there will be future IL2 games on PC as well.

Regardless I enjoyed the demo and plan on picking this up for 360.

PoweredBySoy said:
Sure it's playable. Hell, technically Lair was playable on release too. I just don't think it controls particularly well, and I think it has to do with the controls being mapped to the 360 analog stick. I know I'm not entitled to anything - I'm just saying I'm not paying money for this game. I wanted to though.

You continue to not say if you adjusted the sensitivity and if you were willing to put a few hours into learning.

kodt said:

Probably because the graphics on BoP destroys the PC IL-2 games.

Llyranor

I went from stalling continuously with the P51 to no stalling at all after I decreased the sensitivity 5 knots with the flightstick.

Zenith

Banned
kodt said:

because they feature outdated graphics and I prefer sim-lite to full-on sim. or how about just the basic "I would like to play this game"?

beermonkey@tehbias said:
You continue to not say if you adjusted the sensitivity and if you were willing to put a few hours into learning.

I lowered the sensitivity to half and played for a few hours at least, yes. I haven't played it again since the release day but I could lower it more and try again.

Llyranor

Two quick questions:

1) Anyone try out the Saitek for 360 yet? Is the deadzone that much of a problem? I'm thinking of getting one for a friend.

2) How does trim actually work in sim mode? Still trying to work that out.

mjolnirsbane

Neo Member
maxmars said:
That's how a real plane flies. Yep, it takes skill, you are aboard a powerful monster.

Again, that's how it is in reality. It's called accelerated stall.

Peeps, it takes skills to fly such a warbird into a battle.

Seriously, how cool is this that it's *finally* come to a console game. I cannot wait for multiplayer!!! I think I'm gonna cry. :D

Sew

Llyranor said:
Two quick questions:

1) Anyone try out the Saitek for 360 yet? Is the deadzone that much of a problem? I'm thinking of getting one for a friend.

Mine turns up today. I finally go home to my Xbox on Friday (I still haven't played this game!) and it's going to be a late one. I'll post some feedback on the weekend.

Cobra84

Llyranor said:
Trim basically just resets your sticks' center position. Get your plane flying straight and level and press A.

Hootie

Wowza...I tried out the demo today for the first time and this game is AMAZING. Maybe it's because I'm so used to Jane's WWII Fighters (came out 11 years ago..) but the graphics and gameplay are awesome.

I went from being iffy on this game to insta-day one insta-buy. :D

Oh and I tried Simulation mode for about 5 minutes before intentionally flying my plane into the ground and switching back to Arcade. No way I'm doing that shit again :lol

MechDX

Sonos said:
Sorry if this was already addressed but does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced stick for a 360? One besides the AC6 packaged one?

I am not sure one exists.

If you can find a used AC6 Ace Edge at Gamestop they are only $39. I got mine that way, not a scratch, dent or blemish on it. Works flawlessly.

Asmodai

Banned
Hootie said:
Wowza...I tried out the demo today for the first time and this game is AMAZING. Maybe it's because I'm so used to Jane's WWII Fighters (came out 11 years ago..) but the graphics and gameplay are awesome.

I went from being iffy on this game to insta-day one insta-buy. :D

Oh and I tried Simulation mode for about 5 minutes before intentionally flying my plane into the ground and switching back to Arcade. No way I'm doing that shit again :lol

Intentionally putting it into the ground, or spin?

The controls are set over sensitive by default.

Make no mistake though, Simulation is not for the light of heart. Even aiming at targets is much harder with near constant buffeting.

But after learning it, Simulation is also much much more rewarding.

Zenith said:
because they feature outdated graphics and I prefer sim-lite to full-on sim. or how about just the basic "I would like to play this game"?

IL2 BOP on sim mode is not "sim lite." If anything the game stalls too much and is a big stingy with the acceleration on the P-51D in Simulation.

Hootie

Asmodai said:
Intentionally putting it into the ground, or spin?

The controls are set over sensitive by default.

Make no mistake though, Simulation is not for the light of heart. Even aiming at targets is much harder with near constant buffeting.

But after learning it, Simulation is also much much more rewarding.

It was intentional. After attempting to shoot a slow moving bomber and failing miserably I couldn't take it.

And I had read a bunch of posts in this thread about sensitivity so I set it to 50% and on Arcade mode the planes handled like a charm.

I never tried realistic though I think I will tomorrow.

Asmodai

Banned
Hootie said:
It was intentional. After attempting to shoot a slow moving bomber and failing miserably I couldn't take it.

And I had read a bunch of posts in this thread about sensitivity so I set it to 50% and on Arcade mode the planes handled like a charm.

I never tried realistic though I think I will tomorrow.

I haven't played realistic much, but I believe it is the same flight characteristics as Simulation, just with more HUD aids.

And if you think shooting the He 111s at high altitude in the first mission is hard, try hitting a hard maneuvering Fw 190 in the unstable P-51D at low altitude :lol

But when you finally do hit it, it's so great. And after playing IL-2 on Simulation mode for a few hours, flying around in BF1943 was pathetically easy. I was like "how can these people be flying in such straight lines? Their aircraft can't even stall! They can fly straight up and never stop! " :D

Hootie

Asmodai said:
I haven't played realistic much, but I believe it is the same flight characteristics as Simulation, just with more HUD aids.

And if you think shooting the He 111s at high altitude in the first mission is hard, try hitting a hard maneuvering Fw 190 in the unstable P-51D at low altitude :lol

But when you finally do hit it, it's so great. And after playing IL-2 on Simulation mode for a few hours, flying around in BF1943 was pathetically easy. I was like "how can these people be flying in such straight lines? Their aircraft can't even stall! They can fly straight up and never stop! " :D

If I were to attempt to play the P-51 mission on Simulation I'd probably just fly around enjoying the view. The scenery and atmosphere are outstanding.

Sew

Finally got home after two weeks away and fired this game up. There's probably nothing new I can say about it after this many pages. I think "holy happy pig in shit" will suffice. :D

I know some people are wanting feedback on the Saitek Aviator, so here are some initial impressions.

41DjVSdOFwL_SL500_AA280_.jpg

I haven't played too much Sim mode with the stick yet. So far I've played:

- Arcade mode with the pad: great fun, bit of a thumb killer
- Sim mode with the pad: yeah, nah
- Arcade mode with the stick: oh baby, that's the spot
- Sim mode with the stick: extremely promising

The first realisation was that slothing back on the couch wasn't going to happen. I thought the stick might need to be fastened down somehow, but unlike a steering wheel you can just plonk it onto a flat surface and it'll stay firmly in place during play. Definitely a more serious, less relaxing gaming stance, not helped by a low coffee table. Even pilots have a backrest though, so I'm thinking some kind of lap board will be needed.

Gameplay wise, it's magic out of the box. Just flick the switch to Mode 1 (Mode 2 is no good) and most controls will be where you expect them to be. It takes a few missions to fully get the feel of it, but you'll become one with your plane soon enough. The buttons on this thing feel kind of mid-range quality (this isn't a $200 flight stick after all) but the stick movement feels nice and solid.

The throttle position does feel a little unnatural, but it too has a very nice action. Sure it feels like you're giving it a reacharound, but it's not a dealbreaker. Being able to lock a throttle postion and use your free hand to comb your ace fighter pilot hair is handy. I actually managed to shoot down some bad guys in Arcade mode while eating a sandwich.

I only have one major issue, and if the full game includes control customisation it'll be solved. The button used to track your target (LT on the gamepad) is on the right hand side of the Aviator's face plate. If you're a right hander, moving your left hand from the throttle to here during combat is difficult. If the full game allows us to map this to the X button (under the flip cover on top of the stick) it'll be perfect. If we don't have this option, I think I'll be adding a button to the right end of the throttle so I can use my thumb to track targets. I don't mind doing this sort of thing.

tl;dr - If you're getting the full game, you need a stick. If you're on a budget, this stick will serve you well.

Top Bottom