• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker Community Thread |OT| It's how you use it...

udivision

One thing for sure, after Lisa, Undertale, Barkley Shut Up and Jam and even big mainstream stuff like Persona or Pokemon, it's gonna be important to come up with an original gimmick for battle systems so that it's not just regular turn based

It doesn't have to be original necessarily, it just has to be done well enough.

Falk

that puzzling face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiq9q7WcDVI

Yanfly's Battle Engine Core takes care of this right off the bat.

I'm more interested in using MV to make a visual novel, so far it seems pretty good at that too.

I think this is really the largest leap forward in RPGM's history. Put another way, it's not so much interest in extending RPGMaker, but the ease of doing it. The way plugins integrate into the main deal pretty much extends MV as a development environment, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiq9q7WcDVI&feature=youtu.be

Color me impressed.

Beat you to it :p

MrHoot

It doesn't have to be original necessarily, it just has to be done well enough.

True, but I just think that will be a sort of expectation from now on. Not necessarily to have like an original gimmick every fight but having something to break the monotony of turn-based fighting

udivision

True, but I just think that will be a sort of expectation from now on. Not necessarily to have like an original gimmick every fight but having something to break the monotony of turn-based fighting

I see what you mean, especially if the maker is aiming for the game to be noticed by the mainstream.
There's a lot you have to do to break out of the RPG Maker community and get your game noticed.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yanfly's battle engine is a necessity for anyone wanting to use the default battle system that can't code themselves. Noticeably cleans up the jank. The custom ability coding will probably be necessary for adding depth beyond the pretty generic offering too. Can add pretty complicated skills, and custom animations and camera control to keep it visually interesting.

Man I didn't realize you could do so many different types of games with this. I'm really happy I picked up a humblebundle of this, I may actually put something together now.

udivision

Yanfly's battle engine is a necessity for anyone wanting to use the default battle system that can't code themselves. Noticeably cleans up the jank. The custom ability coding will probably be necessary for adding depth beyond the pretty generic offering too. Can add pretty complicated skills, and custom animations and camera control to keep it visually interesting.

It was kind of ridiculous to watch a video about Yanfly's engine, which mentioned some bugs he had fixed for MV, which hadn't even come out at the time.

Man I didn't realize you could do so many different types of games with this. I'm really happy I picked up a humblebundle of this, I may actually put something together now.

Part of the fun of RPG Maker is making games RPG Maker has no business making.

ZeroX03

Banned
It was kind of ridiculous to watch a video about Yanfly's engine, which mentioned some bugs he had fixed for MV, which hadn't even come out at the time.

It was no doubt a rushed release, giving it to Yanfly to beta test really helped give it a bunch of functionality and fixes out of the box it sorely needed. But if the choice is between a rushed release and waiting months or years I'm glad we got it early.

Evilisk

Is there anything particularly wrong with the default setup? (Just curious, I've mostly just been trying to map and write things and haven't really looked at the default battle stuff yet)

Falk

that puzzling face
The default battle system for RPGMaker since forever has always suffered information overload. Extremely slow number popping, lines upon lines of text, descriptors for everything. It's almost as if they're expecting people using RPGMaker to use it for debugging.

A lot of fat has to be trimmed to even get battles to be fun to play, rather than tedious.

Quoting self for answer.

Your mileage may vary depending on your tolerance for slower-than-it-needs-to-be game systems.

Evilisk

Quoting self for answer.

Your mileage may vary depending on your tolerance for slower-than-it-needs-to-be game systems.

Ah it's for speed then. I thought it would've been something with the gameplay itself.

Anyway I downloaded a couple of short games to try out and finish. I've only started one so far, Crystal Fate by Chester. Initial impressions are that it's pretty decent. Combat system is good enough so far (though it's a bit focused on Elemental Weaknesses, with a bit too much trial and error to see what is effective or not).

Mapping seems to be pretty good as is the overall presentation, though it's hard to tell how much of the graphics are base stuff or not. I'm not sure if this is part of a series or not, with the way the story has been progressing.

Falk

that puzzling face
Ah it's for speed then. I thought it would've been something with the gameplay itself.

When you realize how torpidly slow the default battle system is at showing e.g. AOE damage you will regret your words and deeds.

ZeroX03

Banned

Anyway I downloaded a couple of short games to try out and finish. I've only started one so far, Crystal Fate by Chester. Initial impressions are that it's pretty decent. Combat system is good enough so far (though it's a bit focused on Elemental Weaknesses, with a bit too much trial and error to see what is effective or not).

Mapping seems to be pretty good as is the overall presentation, though it's hard to tell how much of the graphics are base stuff or not. I'm not sure if this is part of a series or not, with the way the story has been progressing.

It's not just speed, it's the way it presents things like numbers and menus. The Yanfly engine is a lot more efficient at doing those things. Like spell selection menus cover the full screen in the default battle system but in Yanfly's it just uses the bottom menu keeping the battlefield clear. The video is explains things clearly, every change is beneficial. Lots of small tweaks makes for a big change.

Evilisk

It's not just speed, it's the way it presents things like numbers and menus. The Yanfly engine is a lot more efficient at doing those things. Like spell selection menus cover the full screen in the default battle system but in Yanfly's it just uses the bottom menu keeping the battlefield clear. The video is explains things clearly, every change is beneficial. Lots of small tweaks makes for a big change.

When you realize how torpidly slow the default battle system is at showing e.g. AOE damage you will regret your words and deeds.

Okay okay, fair enough! I gotta agree, now that I've seen it compared, it's a real world of difference (especially the one with the skill that repeated the animation for every single enemy). Thanks for posting that, I'm definitely gonna have to get that script for VX Ace now

7threst

I used to dabble a bit with RPG Maker and really love it! I should get this and try my hand at creating something just for fun :)

Also, the games mentioned in the op have all got a personal visual style to them, especially Cherry Tree. Don't want to know how long it took to make the assets for that game, wow!

Sölf

Finally! *subscribes*

Hm, so, what about posting games? :D
I only have one english game, since all my other games are in german. But eh, could still post them, eh?

If you were ever curious of what RPG Maker MV's music sounds like:

RPG Maker MV Original Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_0CBmc33BA
RPG Maker MV - Remixes from 2003: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0a7aAbbYcA

Yes, the second video is all RPG Maker 2003 music remixes. It's pretty cool.
Even the original stuff is nice.

EDIT:
Also, two years ago, I made a Music Selection of most of the RPG Makers and even some other Makers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OnCcJHfhGA

If you are also curious of how most of the other Makers sounded like (EVEN THE VERY RARE ONES AND UNTRANSLATED), you can listen to it :D
(I forgot I didn't really put the MSX/PC98 stuff, but technically, SNES uses arrangements of the RPG Tsukuru Dante98 I & II music)

Sölf

EDIT:
Also, two years ago, I made a Music Selection of ALL the RPG Makers and even some other Makers:

If you are also curious of how all the other Makers sounded like (EVEN THE VERY RARE ONES AND UNTRANSLATED), you can listen to it :D

Ok, seems I do have to buy it. Holy shit that music. And the 2k3 remixes. Cyber City! <3

As far as I can tell, it's loop points embedded into metadata in the files?

Indeed but try to find a software that recognizes that shit and can render 2 loops and a fade out?

I didn't want to do that manually, and I didn't want to waste too much time recording every song on RPG Maker MV with Stereo Mix and shit.

Falk

that puzzling face
It takes literally 4 mouse clicks and 9 button presses counting ctrl as separate button presses in Audition D:

I hear you though, it's a shit ton of tracks.

Sölf

May as well just post a few of my games then!

Rivalry
A small game I made back in 2012. Bought the Ace and just wanted to create a small game and test out the basic functions (no scripts and so on), just to see how it differs from the older engines (I mainly used 2k/3 before). Later I translated the game into english (so some parts probably still sound "off" for native speaker) and added a few things. You can download the game via the Steam Workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=396126891

I still have several other games, but all of them are in German and also were created back before the 2k/3 became officially available in english. So, you would also need the unofficial RTP in order to play them. What about posting them? For one, because they were created before the engine was legally available in english and for the other because of the language barrier.

Golnei

A RPG Maker community thread was a good idea, kind of surprised this is the first one.

I got VX with the bundle as well; though I haven't really done anything much with it or any previous version of RPG Maker, besides playing around with XP years ago. Might be fun to try doing something small, or work with someone else on something.

Li Kao

Mmh, I have VX from the Humble sale a while back. In an ideal world where I have the courage to face the task of creating something resembling a game and find a solution to my total uselessness concerning art and code... so a very theoretical question indeed... is there some way to make a mobile app out of the final project or is MV necessary ?
You understand that with such a low probability of doing something, MV is a little on the pricey side in my case.

Though I must admit that...

...is quite the motivation speak, thank you Dusk Golem.

Good God, I'm forever alone ( 'T_T)
I don't know, maybe probably surely the question seems stupid, as porting a project to mobile is one of MV bullet points, but are there really no work around when using VX Ace ?
I mean I get it, RPG Maker should be a hobby before all else and it's not like I would likely finish something and sell it, but I like to think the possibility is there.

Fou-Lu

How is MV? I am thinking I'll probably just continue to use VX Ace since I already have it, but if MV is a huge upgrade in any way I might be tempted.

Actually just started drawing up ideas for a game using RPG Maker when I saw this thread.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Good God, I'm forever alone ( 'T_T)
I don't know, maybe probably surely the question seems stupid, as porting a project to mobile is one of MV bullet points, but are there really no work around when using VX Ace ?
I mean I get it, RPG Maker should be a hobby before all else and it's not like I would likely finish something and sell it, but I like to think the possibility is there.

I would think MV is your only chance.

Mexen

tumblr_nwotahWWxL1se6ntfo1_1280.jpg

Welcome to the community thread for RPG Maker. This idea has been thrown around in almost every RPG Maker-related thread, "Why does GAF not have a community thread for this?" And now that RPG Maker MV has just released, decided to make an effort and create said community thread for all things RPG Maker-related.

Bless your soul. Thank you.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Li Kao

Mmh, so it's a solidly supported VX Ace with inexistant mobile capabilities outside of a complete port or a multiplatform MV with very little ressources ?
Because I suppose tiles made for Ace won't be compatible in MV ? Or if compatible will they look good ?
It would be nice to be able to begin a project on VX and convert it to MV later.

Annoying, if my lack of condidence wasn't enough the very basic choice of engine is difficult.

Falk

that puzzling face
I was actually thinking this when listening through, RPG Maker MV's default music is a big step ahead from previous iterations, it's almost ridiculous. The pre-order music is also super good, and they have original music and remixes, but the overall soundtrack is quite good, and if you pre-ordered there's literally over 200 pieces of music.

Sat down and listened to it all.

My opinion - Production values are top notch. I mean, REALLY, top notch. Composition-wise, it's solid, albeit not spectacular. It gets the job done.

My only real gripe in terms of usability is that everything is... really in-your-face. There are very few points where the OST lets up and takes a breather. Even half of the 'sad' themes feel like they're cranked to 11.

I understand why it's this way. When you're composing to sell copies, rather than composing for a specific client, virtually everything has to be the aural equivalent of an eyecatch, and within the first 5 seconds. That's perfectly fine. The drawback, on the other hand, is that it does turn the entire experience from start to end into the equivalent of watching brightly flashing colors without a break. For a genre (JRPG) that historically already has had bombastic music to begin with (for better or worse) this can be a problem.

Well, most serious projects are gonna have custom soundtracks, anyway. It's definitely a very cool musical identity for MV, both originals and remixes.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

Lucumo

Ao Oni has multiple iterations, like the regular game has something like over 20 different versions of itself. You can learn more about Ao Oni's different versions and its fan games from here: http://aooni.wikia.com/wiki/Ao_Oni_Games_and_Fan_made_versions

Though the official versions have missing gaps these days and ages, Ao Oni originated in Korea, then took form in Japan, and then went back to Korea, and then sort of just conjoined as well as English audiences taking notice at the time. It's a bit interesting how the different versions were tackled, though the first 'big final' release was from Japan in version 1.1, but it started in Korea with the earlier versions, and its final most recent version for years (Version 6.23) is from Japan as well, and most Ao Oni fan games are Korean (and there's a shit ton).

Yeah, I've seen the games being played years ago, several variations as well. But I've never heard about anything about versions before 1.0 and 1.1. Mind linking to any documentation or builds?

Ithil

So how does this handle projects from previous games? Can you transfer a VX Ace project to MV, or do you have to start over?

Golnei

It's good to start small and build up once you learn what you can and cannot do, and work-up. Too many people don't finish their first project because they make it too big or too unique to increase the work-load, I say take one of your simpler ideas and try to make it better. No one's first game will be there best game, but being able to complete something does make it far easier to do a second time since you will learn a lot from the experience and that can help more than is usually said.

If I end up taking a shot at making something, that's likely what I'll try to do; keep the scope small and abandon any thoughts of ambition. I was toying with the idea of making something under NaNoWriMo constraints, hammering it out in no more than a month with mostly stock assets and minimal editing, then releasing the result, no matter how embarrassing. It'd be educational, if nothing else.

Kalentan

While I'm mainly working on my Game Maker game... Since I own RPG Maker MV, I'm making a side project called:

238b.png

Humans once dominated the world of Mirala. They had cities across every continent, even lands that were inhospitable and cites that even expanded
an entire continent. Yet those who weren’t human, such as the various clans of Elves, found themselves under the boot of the Human Empire. It continued
like this for thousands of years, until three-hundred and fifty years ago, when Humanity fought against an unknown species, the Human civilization ended and
lost it’s connection to magic. Now Humanity has been reduces to a mere thousand, yet the ruins of the civilization still litter the lands. Elves now dominate Mirala
and even after three-hundred and fifty, most clans still hold anger against Humanity.

Characters (thus far)

538b.png

Svera
Born to a very large family in a small valley far from any Elven towns or cities, Svera always wanted to see the world that her ancestors once ruled over.
Thus to her parents dismay, Svera ran away from home at the age of twelve. Over the next ten years, Svera never once went home but became bitter
and cold towards the world. Having seen why her parents told her to not leave. Yet, despite all of the horrors she saw, Svera never once stopped her
journey. Rather the small bit of hope in her to find the good in the Elves made her continue to move on forward. Maybe peace between Humanity and Elves
could be made. During this time, Svera became proficient in using a sword and even was hired to kill monsters to make money.

E38b.png

Elhan "Cooper" Vantrel
Elhan, self nicknamed "Cooper", lived a fairly average life of a Red Elf in the Red Forests in the southern continent of Murhal. Having a smaller than normal
connection to the elements, Cooper decided to train in close-quarters-combat rather than trying to use magic. In the village he grew up in, Cooper was mentored
by a Human who visited the village one day and decided to stay. He taught Cooper everything he knew about fighting and even passed down his unique jacket
to the young Red Elf. Cooper would continue to wear this jacket throughout his training and beyond. Due to his willingness to trust in a Human, others in the village
found Cooper to be strange. and thus after the Human passed, Cooper left his home village to further continue his training.

I'll continue to update this post in particular with new information over time.

What do you guys think? :D

OBias

Did RPG Maker MV increase the maximum resolution? The 480p limitation is kinda ridiculous for today's platforms.

Falk

that puzzling face
While I'm mainly working on my Game Maker game... Since I own RPG Maker MV, I'm making a side project called:

238b.png

I'll continue to update this post in particular with new information over time.

What do you guys think? :D

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's hard to gauge off a couple of descriptions. Similar to Kickstarter pitches with little information hahaha

Interesting premise though. I'd like to see it in action.

p.s. is that a native american elf?

Reszo

EDIT:
Also, two years ago, I made a Music Selection of most of the RPG Makers and even some other Makers:

If you are also curious of how most of the other Makers sounded like (EVEN THE VERY RARE ONES AND UNTRANSLATED), you can listen to it :D
(I forgot I didn't really put the MSX/PC98 stuff, but technically, SNES uses arrangements of the RPG Tsukuru Dante98 I & II music)

wooow this is leagues ahead what music rpgmaker used to come with. Not that I use the default music but these are really good.

Yay, I finally got time to mess around with RPG Maker again.

Although I'll just be using the trial for a while, I'm still not 100% sure if I'll go back to using it =X

I also don't like scripting, so I'll be trying to do everything through events and shit...

Have they made any improvements to that since RM2k and RM2k3?

I want mess around with the tilesets too.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yay, I finally got time to mess around with RPG Maker again.

Although I'll just be using the trial for a while, I'm still not 100% sure if I'll go back to using it =X

I also don't like scripting, so I'll be trying to do everything through events and shit...

Have they made any improvements to that since RM2k and RM2k3?

I want mess around with the tilesets too.

Eventing is more or less the same as it was in 2k.

You can add a lot with premade scripts and script calls. It's very well implement compared to past iterations. Doing every little thing through events is not efficient. However there is now an event searcher which lets you search events for where you used switches and variables which is huge for games full of events.

I think the biggest change since then is allowing the same event commands to be used in Battle, the Map, and Common events.

Other than that, it is largely the same.
Huh, that's neat I guess.

I guess the events back then were already as complex as you could make them.

Eventing is more or less the same as it was in 2k.

You can add a lot with premade scripts and script calls. It's very well implement compared to past iterations. Doing every little thing through events is not efficient. However there is now an event searcher which lets you search events for where you used switches and variables which is huge for games full of events.
See, that would be all good, if I knew the first thing about programming... Which I don't lol.
I guess I can use other people's stuff, but I don't like doing that =X

But the search function is pretty helpful.

Thanks for the answers!

Kalentan

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's hard to gauge off a couple of descriptions. Similar to Kickstarter pitches with little information hahaha

Interesting premise though. I'd like to see it in action.

p.s. is that a native american elf?

Not intended to be a native american elf.

Sorry about the information as well, I plan to add more before tonight.

Also here is the rest of the Elf Clans:

g48b.png

In order...
Green Elves, Moon Elves, Dark Elves, Grey Elves, High Elves, Shade Elves, and Red Elves. (I could use something like Crimson, but I named it similar to the Red Wood Forest and the area you find them in I made the trees bark red and such.)

Do note that not every Elf in these clans share that hair color. I just used the ones that looked good against the skin types.

ZeroX03

Banned
See, that would be all good, if I knew the first thing about programming... Which I don't lol.
I guess I can use other people's stuff, but I don't like doing that =X

But the search function is pretty helpful.

Thanks for the answers!

Many scripts are provided free with MV. They want you to use them. You don't need to know programming to use most of them, you just have to type in values in a menu to change resolution for example.

I just had to say that the beard on the third guy is slightly off =X

Might be just me.

But it's looking cool. Do post more once you get some gameplay and screenshots going.

Many scripts are provided free with MV. They want you to use them. You don't need to know programming to use most of them, you just have to type in values in a menu to change resolution for example.

Ah, I didn't know (I stopped using at XP).

That's cool. I might as well use them to complement the events then =P

I want to see how far I can go without having to use other people's scripts and stuff.

Top Bottom