• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker Community Thread |OT| It's how you use it...

Hmm, interesting.

I think one of the problems for RPG maker is the lack of temporary switched and variables that can be defined in runtime for the event. Using the script option of Fork Conditions helps with that some, but some times you have to waste your switch:variable allocation with dummy vars, or vars whose scope is very small.
Yeah. I have a few problems with the switches and variables myself too.

I mean that's kind of a heavy self imposed restriction you've got there.

There's no reason not to use scripts to simplify some things. RPG Maker is inherently a limited and simple engine. You don't have to learn JavaScript, but freely available scripts should be fair game.

Remember to use event specific switches to save on them where possible. One and done events shouldn't count toward the limit.
I mean, if I can just get a script that removes/increases the limit, I'll be completely fine. I can manage story stuff with less (like using a variable instead of multiple story switches), but I'd much rather be unrestricted and just go nuts with it =P

It was always my biggest problem with the engine.

I'm going to start stalking a few forums to see if a script like that pops up.

Sölf;183461681 said:
That may depend on the engine. VX Ace (o VX?) introduced Self Switches, which could be used for stuff like one time events (chests, non respawning enemies etc). You could also use a single variable for the main plot, which I have seen only once. But you could basically use 1 variable which gets added +1 for each important main plot event (even stuff like an appearing character in a cutscene). This saves tons of switchtes. I never did that myself, because I rarely get to the point were engine limitations are a problem (one recent exception: 999 monster group limit in VX Ace, I had to increase that one with a script).
Really, what's that about Self Switches? =X
I'll look it up, seems helpful for some stuff.

But yeah, the variable technique is quite useful, but as I said, I would really prefer to just go nuts when I'm creating systems and stuff, without worrying about limits =P

Sölf

Really, what's that about Self Switches? =X
I'll look it up, seems helpful for some stuff.

Self Switches are normal switches, but each event has it's own, up to 4. So you can use that for one time event like chests, not respawning monsters, first time dialogue (after which the NPC will say something different) etc. However, since they are event specific you can only change these from the event itself, you can't switch them on/off globally and can't use them for anything else beside it's own event.

Here are three examples. In my game (made with VX Ace), which is a dungeon crawler, I use them for random events. I have 4 different random events (as in events on the map), each one can have 1 out of 4 different events, so for a total of 16 different things that can happen.

Page 1, where it decides which Self Switch get's activated. I use 1 variable per event (so 4 total), which get's reused each floor, but I use the same variable for each event. Random Event 1 will always have Variable 1 associated with it. If no event happens, I erase the event (it will reappear if you re enter the map).

As you can see on the left side, this only happens if Self Switch A is on. Here it's a chest with random loot. Depending on the event, I may use more/other variables. So in this case, I reuse the same variable per floor, but use other variables for the 4 self switches (A-D). When the event is finished, I erase it again (not visible here).

Finally, after reaching the stairs to a new floor, I activate a switch for each random event (called RandomReset here, or RandomReset2 for event 2, etc). This will allow me to switch off all Self Switches, so I can reuse the same 4 events for each of the 100 floors and basically only need 4 switches instead of like 400, if I wouldn't use self switches. After switching off the self switches, the switch itself is turned off. Because of that, the event goes back to the first page and we start again with deciding which random event will appear.

Well, much text for an easy explanation, but depending on what you want, this could help tremendously. I am not sure if MV also has self switches, but I think it does.

ZeroX03

Banned
MV does have self switches, and peeps should be using them. It's a separate Event Command, two down from Control Switches.

That said, if you're hitting the switch and variable limit then your eventing isn't optimized or your game is far too big. Especially with the Even Searcher and being able to keep easy track of what you're using and where compared to past games.

Sölf;183507116 said:
Self Switches are normal switches, but each event has it's own, up to 4. So you can use that for one time event like chests, not respawning monsters, first time dialogue (after which the NPC will say something different) etc. However, since they are event specific you can only change these from the event itself, you can't switch them on/off globally and can't use them for anything else beside it's own event.

Here are three examples. In my game (made with VX Ace), which is a dungeon crawler, I use them for random events. I have 4 different random events (as in events on the map), each one can have 1 out of 4 different events, so for a total of 16 different things that can happen.

Page 1, where it decides which Self Switch get's activated. I use 1 variable per event (so 4 total), which get's reused each floor, but I use the same variable for each event. Random Event 1 will always have Variable 1 associated with it. If no event happens, I erase the event (it will reappear if you re enter the map).

As you can see on the left side, this only happens if Self Switch A is on. Here it's a chest with random loot. Depending on the event, I may use more/other variables. So in this case, I reuse the same variable per floor, but use other variables for the 4 self switches (A-D). When the event is finished, I erase it again (not visible here).

Finally, after reaching the stairs to a new floor, I activate a switch for each random event (called RandomReset here, or RandomReset2 for event 2, etc). This will allow me to switch off all Self Switches, so I can reuse the same 4 events for each of the 100 floors and basically only need 4 switches instead of like 400, if I wouldn't use self switches. After switching off the self switches, the switch itself is turned off. Because of that, the event goes back to the first page and we start again with deciding which random event will appear.

Well, much text for an easy explanation, but depending on what you want, this could help tremendously. I am not sure if MV also has self switches, but I think it does.
Huh, I didn't know about them (I dropped at RM2k3 back then and I didn't even touch the new features on MV).

Thanks a lot for the explanation! They seem very helpful (specially for dungeons and story stuff).

Too bad you can't activate them from outside the event, as that would be a major help for one of the things I'm trying to make, but with them I think I can save quite a few switches.
MV does have self switches, and peeps should be using them. It's a separate Event Command, two down from Control Switches.

That said, if you're hitting the switch and variable limit then your eventing isn't optimized or your game is far too big. Especially with the Even Searcher and being able to keep easy track of what you're using and where compared to past games.
Yeah, my eventing is not optimized, as I don't want to keep re-doing and/or re-thinking everything I make over and over again, just to find ways in which I can save a few switches and variables.

That doesn't really make the limit better though, it shouldn't be there in the first place... I remember following a project way back when that was using RM2K, and they had to split their game into two because of the limit. And that was fine for back then, but I'm pretty sure the engine can handle more now, so I hope I can find something (I did for RMVX, but not MV yet).

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah, my eventing is not optimized, as I don't want to keep re-doing and/or re-thinking everything I make over and over again, just to find ways in which I can save a few switches and variables.

That doesn't really make the limit better though, it shouldn't be there in the first place... I remember following a project way back when that was using RM2K, and they had to split their game into two because of the limit. And that was fine for back then, but I'm pretty sure the engine can handle more now, so I hope I can find something (I did for RMVX, but not MV yet).

Limits are there so people don't make their game chug by bloating the DLC. There's only so much backend optimization that users can do with scripts.

With the event searcher you shouldn't really need to rethink much, it should be very easy to keep track.

Limits are there so people don't make their game chug by bloating the DLC. There's only so much backend optimization that users can do with scripts.

With the event searcher you shouldn't really need to rethink much, it should be very easy to keep track.

Sure, but 5000 is a small number that should have been increased by now (by quite a lot), and I'm pretty sure the engine can handle it...

And yeah, the event searcher is helpful, but it doesn't do nearly enough on its own (Self Switches help more on saving that stuff too, but I'd just like a bigger number so that I don't have to keep worrying about it). I don't need a 100.000 limit, but I'm pretty sure the number can be increased at least by a few thousands without making the game chug...

Hey guys, I started working on an RPG Maker MV plugin which I am called DarkenRegion. You can use it to black out regions of the map to hide areas from the player without having to break them off into their own map. Here's how it works, using region 1 as an example:
Assign regions to the map. Regions 1, 2, and 3 were added to the default list through the plugin parameters.
RX5TrfL.png

When you want to black the region out, either add it to the default list in the plugin parameters or use the plugin command "DarkenRegion add 1"
IF3Gb91.png

When you want to show the region again, use the plugin command "DarkenRegion remove 1"
2QfT4KL.png

That's it! It's pretty basic right now, so I'm calling this version 0.01. I plan on adding more features later, like a fade effect or a setting that can have dark regions automatically revealed when the player walks into them.
If you have any ideas for features or if you find a bug, please let me know!

EDIT: I fixed some huge bugs (now where your regions are dark or not will save correctly), so the plugin is now version 0.02. However, I removed the default dark list plugin parameter until i can figure out how to work it better.
Download the plugin (v0.02) here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/L...er/LAX_DarkenRegion/v0.02/LAX_DarkenRegion.js

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm assuming something like a fog of war might be a little too much even for scripting/plugins to handle?

Or in other words, automapping-style dungeon exploration.

I'm assuming something like a fog of war might be a little too much even for scripting/plugins to handle?

There really isn't much that a plugin couldn't handle. What you're describing probably wouldn't even be particularly difficult.

ZServ

100% do-able.

Hell, that can be done with solely events in VX Ace. You just want to check the absolute value between a player and a tile, and if it's less than X, light up the tile. (or however you want to do it)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

ZServ

So I've been doing some more thinking about this, and I'm generally leaning towards an event that checks every 2-3 frames which way the player is facing, stores their x/y data, and then depending on which direction they're facing takes x plus or minus whatever your fog distance should be, or y plus or minus their fog distance, and then from there is where it gets messy. Not quite sure yet how you'd follow up from there, you could theoretically go with a *lot* of events but that would be messy, so maybe instead a region change.. Hm.

Falk

that puzzling face
Actually, instead of checking 2/3 frames, couldn't it just fire on movement? It's a tile-based engine, after all.

hampig

Hey guys, I started working on an RPG Maker MV plugin which I am called DarkenRegion. You can use it to black out regions of the map to hide areas from the player without having to break them off into their own map. Here's how it works, using region 1 as an example:
Assign regions to the map. Regions 1, 2, and 3 were added to the default list through the plugin parameters.
RX5TrfL.png

When you want to black the region out, either add it to the default list in the plugin parameters or use the plugin command "DarkenRegion add 1"
IF3Gb91.png

When you want to show the region again, use the plugin command "DarkenRegion remove 1"
2QfT4KL.png

That's it! It's pretty basic right now, so I'm calling this version 0.01. I plan on adding more features later, like a fade effect or a setting that can have dark regions automatically revealed when the player walks into them.

EDIT: I fixed some huge bugs (now where your regions are dark or not will save correctly), so the plugin is now version 0.02. However, I removed the default dark list plugin parameter until i can figure out how to work it better.
Download the plugin (v0.02) here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/L...er/LAX_DarkenRegion/v0.02/LAX_DarkenRegion.js

I've been thinking about doing something exactly like this. Please update if you make any progress, looks good so far.

Kalentan

RX5TrfL.png

IF3Gb91.png

2QfT4KL.png

Hey, this is really cool! Is the final version going to be commerical free, paid, or non-commerical only?

I wonder how hard it would take to script myself a codex?

Cedric

Decided to grab MV yesterday night. I used to spend a lot of time playing RPG Maker 2K in elementary school and RPG Maker 2K3 back in high school. Haven't really touched the series much since, in part because it wasn't available for my macbook and also because I moved onto other stuff. That being said, my initial impression is that I'm a bit dissappinted. I feel like there's a lot of stuff missing, or features I thought had been added since. I wanted to start toying with the idea of an action rpg, but the limits of the condtional branches (I was sure, for instance, that there was a distinction between pushing a button and holding a button. I also thought you had options like 'if ___ and/or___) and the fact that there is no pixel movement (I thought I had read that this was a thing since the couple last rpg maker games) kinda complicates things. Anyways, there's probably a bunch of stuff I'm just not aware of yet because I haven't touched the series for years, so perhaps my complaints are unfounded.

ZServ

Actually, instead of checking 2/3 frames, couldn't it just fire on movement? It's a tile-based engine, after all.

Yeah, good point. So, you'd do a conditional branch for button Up/Down/Left/Right being pressed.

Decided to grab MV yesterday night. I used to spend a lot of time playing RPG Maker 2K in elementary school and RPG Maker 2K3 back in high school. Haven't really touched the series much since, in part because it wasn't available for my macbook and also because I moved onto other stuff. That being said, my initial impression is that I'm a bit dissappinted. I feel like there's a lot of stuff missing, or features I thought had been added since. I wanted to start toying with the idea of an action rpg, but the limits of the condtional branches (I was sure, for instance, that there was a distinction between pushing a button and holding a button. I also thought you had options like 'if ___ and/or___) and the fact that there is no pixel movement (I thought I had read that this was a thing since the couple last rpg maker games) kinda complicates things. Anyways, there's probably a bunch of stuff I'm just not aware of yet because I haven't touched the series for years, so perhaps my complaints are unfounded.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but you could make a distinction between pressing and holding with a conditional branch. It'd probably be a Parallel Process, but it'd probably look something like:

Button A Being Pressed?
-> Yes
-->Variable_Hold +1
-> No
-->Variable_Hold = 0

In this case, you're checking for if whatever button is being pressed. If so, you take a variable and add 1 to it's value. Then, on the next frame it will check if it's being pressed again, if so, it will add an additional 1 to that value. If at any point that button is no longer being pressed, it will come back "No" and reset to 0. So, then you figure out how many frames you want the button to be held for to count as a hold, and have a conditional branch for if Variable_Hold is that number or higher.

Conditional Branches are if statements. If you nest (put an additional conditional branch within one) another branch, that checks for "and." You can do else statements within Conditional Branches as well. If X = Yes, Do X, Else Y.

Pixel Movement is a very popular script, it will come soon enough, so I wouldn't worry quite yet. However, fair warning, ARPG's are incredibly hard to do in something like RPG Maker just due to how the database works. RPGMaker is closer to "Non-Zelda-like RPG Maker" than "GO HAM RPG Maker."

Edit: I will also say, through developing my own game, I've learned that while yes, RPG Maker has it's problems, there is an ABSURD amount of flexibility within the core program, you just need to be able to figure out how to leverage it. Common Events are FANTASTIC and beyond useful. I will do whatever I can to help whoever with their problems they run into through development or playing around. Countless people have been wonderfully kind to me and helped me, it's the least I can do to give back.

Moondrop

Banned
The championship belt for series in which I buy the most games but fail to actually play them is currently held by Harvest Moon, but the title will have to be transferred to RPG Maker if I fall for MV.

Hopefully my experiences with Mario Maker will make things different this time around....

Cedric

Yeah, good point. So, you'd do a conditional branch for button Up/Down/Left/Right being pressed.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but you could make a distinction between pressing and holding with a conditional branch. It'd probably be a Parallel Process, but it'd probably look something like:

Button A Being Pressed?
-> Yes
-->Variable_Hold +1
-> No
-->Variable_Hold = 0

In this case, you're checking for if whatever button is being pressed. If so, you take a variable and add 1 to it's value. Then, on the next frame it will check if it's being pressed again, if so, it will add an additional 1 to that value. If at any point that button is no longer being pressed, it will come back "No" and reset to 0. So, then you figure out how many frames you want the button to be held for to count as a hold, and have a conditional branch for if Variable_Hold is that number or higher.

Conditional Branches are if statements. If you nest (put an additional conditional branch within one) another branch, that checks for "and." You can do else statements within Conditional Branches as well. If X = Yes, Do X, Else Y.

Pixel Movement is a very popular script, it will come soon enough, so I wouldn't worry quite yet. However, fair warning, ARPG's are incredibly hard to do in something like RPG Maker just due to how the database works. RPGMaker is closer to "Non-Zelda-like RPG Maker" than "GO HAM RPG Maker."

Edit: I will also say, through developing my own game, I've learned that while yes, RPG Maker has it's problems, there is an ABSURD amount of flexibility within the core program, you just need to be able to figure out how to leverage it. Common Events are FANTASTIC and beyond useful. I will do whatever I can to help whoever with their problems they run into through development or playing around. Countless people have been wonderfully kind to me and helped me, it's the least I can do to give back.

Thanks for the tips! I'll go check out if I can make the variable stuff work for the button holding stuff. I'm not familiar with scripts, how exactly can a script modify the rpg maker engine to allow for pixel movement? I managed to make decent zelda-like prototypes in the past using RM2K3, although I feel like having pixel movement would have improved it a whole lot. I also made a couple of very basic 2D platformers when I was younger, but the jumps were quite slow and since the character moved square by square falling into a pit was never really a threat.

ZServ

Thanks for the tips! I'll go check out if I can make the variable stuff work for the button holding stuff. I'm not familiar with scripts, how exactly can a script modify the rpg maker engine to allow for pixel movement? I managed to make decent zelda-like prototypes in the past using RM2K3, although I feel like having pixel movement would have improved it a whole lot. I also made a couple of very basic 2D platformers when I was younger, but the jumps were quite slow and since the character moved square by square falling into a pit was never really a threat.

Most of the time scripts add entirely new functionalities, but not always. Quite a bit of them tweak existing properties of a game, like scripts that change critical hit damage, or text speed, whatever. To change these things without potentially destroying the core engine, though, they interact with these via methods. Thankfully, due to the nature of game programming, near everything that you could tweak has a method, and thus scripters can interact with those individual parts of the engine.

Sölf

Tempting to buy it... xD
I will download the trial first and look a bit at stuff. Is it a timed trial or limited in the amount of switches/database stuff you can use?

Stuart444

Sölf;183996680 said:
Tempting to buy it... xD
I will download the trial first and look a bit at stuff. Is it a timed trial or limited in the amount of switches/database stuff you can use?

20 day trial

I've been thinking about doing something exactly like this. Please update if you make any progress, looks good so far.
Hey, this is really cool! Is the final version going to be commerical free, paid, or non-commerical only?

Thanks, guys. I've already started working on improvements to the plug in and I should have the next release ready later this week.

Anyone want to work together to make a Lore Codex script? We could then share it with all those on GAF.

I think that shouldn't be too difficult to do, even as a first plugin. MV comes with two plugins called EnemyBook and ItemBook that you can base your plugin off of. You just have to style the window how you want and change where it gets the data (from the Enemy/Item database to somewhere else). From there you are only limited by your dreams. If you have any questions about it I can try to help but I'm probably too busy of a person to do any scripting for you.

Kalentan

I think that shouldn't be too difficult to do, even as a first plugin. MV comes with two plugins called EnemyBook and ItemBook that you can base your plugin off of. You just have to style the window how you want and change where it gets the data (from the Enemy/Item database to somewhere else). From there you are only limited by your dreams. If you have any questions about it I can try to help but I'm probably too busy of a person to do any scripting for you.

I've been actually using the EnemyBook to try and make a base. Thus far however, the script won't seem to open which has been annoying. I've also been trying to make a second companion script that holds the arrays of database for all the information.

I think that is my main issue, since unlike EnemyBook and ItemBook, I'm drawing from a database outside of the game, and I'm trying to make it so it only shows the entries based on the selection. So it only shows Events when you select Events. Similar to how it only shows Key Items in the inventory if you select Key Items.

Getting scene undefined now... Rather than nothing...

TheJoRu

Oh, this thread brings me back. Worked a lot in especially RPG Maker VX (not Ace) as a hobby for a good 2-3 years around 2009-2011. With hindsight I wish I would've worked harder to learn some programming (Ruby isn't a very good first language, IMO, unfortunately); that would've been good, especially as I'm now getting more and more interested in getting good for real at programming. But I really had a lot of fun playing around with the engine.

Anyway, dug up a few old screenshots from some games:

uR7jrnJ.png

(2011. Yes, I had a fully functioning horse riding mechanic. It worked really well, and was made only using events)

O5rFbs2.png

(2010. Snow always looks pretty)

L0XtIqC.png

(2011. I don't know how those people breathe or how that palm tree survives in outer space, but as Bob Ross would say: "It's my world")

WJLMWcP.png

(2011. Pic from the second annual Christmas-game I made for my high school class)

wDcgpeS.png

(2009. Luna Village)

I think what I enjoyed doing most was trying to push the atmosphere in some of my games. Especially with custom scripts you can really make some cool stuff. I enjoyed the mapping process too, and I think I improved over time. The last picture (from 2009) has some cozy lighting and some nice particles, sure, but I think the newer ones are a bit more cohesive graphically (I don't use like 4-5 types of trees, for starters) and rely less on effects to make it look good.

Just wanted to share some memories. This is a great software and I really loved tinkering about in it. Might get back to it some day.

Sölf

Downloaded the trial just to test out the char editor. Well, that is quite an upgrade compared to VX Ace. Any way to add more stuff later on? I either don't see it or there is no way to add things for the char editor (or it just isn't possible in the trial).

Tried to redo the two characters from my game I linked here in the thread.

What they look like in VX Ace:

Now what I came up with in MV:

Eye patch doesn't exist. And no way to remove the flowers from the twintails. :/

Golnei

Sölf;184080056 said:
And no way to remove the flowers from the twintails. :/

Have you tried editing it with parts of other hairstyles to remove them; or even just recolouring them to look like black/silver/gold flower-shaped hairclips?

Sölf

Have you tried editing it with parts of other hairstyles to remove them; or even just recolouring them to look like black/silver/gold flower-shaped hairclips?

No, for the simple reason that I absolutely have no talent when it comes to graphics. I can't do shit. xD

Kalentan

I need to give some major props to Gameus on the RPG Maker Web forums.

He made an amazing Quest Script and I contacted him to see if it could be modified to make it act like a Lore Codex. Not only did he willingly do it, but he says he will soon have it so the modified version and the original Quest Script can work together.

I can't stress just how awesome of an act that is. You guys really should check out his script!

Gameus Quest Script

The quest script is so user friendly, it even includes a program with it's own interface that allows you to add quest. Much better than the previous versions which required you to enter it all in the script itself.

ZeroX03

Banned
The RPG Maker community is pretty great when it comes to providing scripts for free or things like CBSes in the past.

Evilisk

Anybody know how to make a boss with a permanent attack pattern? I mean a boss that will use their attacks in a certain order for the entire fight. I've been looking around but Google hasn't been helping all that much (I keep getting a lot of related topics, but nothing exactly what I'm looking for)

Kalentan

Anybody know how to make a boss with a permanent attack pattern? I mean a boss that will use their attacks in a certain order for the entire fight. I've been looking around but Google hasn't been helping all that much (I keep getting a lot of related topics, but nothing exactly what I'm looking for)

Can't you just use the Troops Battle Events?

Turn 1.

Force Boss, use Skill Fire

Turn 2.

Fore Boss, use Skill Double Strike.

And so on and so forth.

Evilisk

Can't you just use the Troops Battle Events?

Turn 1.

Force Boss, use Skill Fire

Turn 2.

Fore Boss, use Skill Double Strike.

And so on and so forth.

I tried that, but it won't follow the pattern. The test pattern is supposed to go:

Shout -> Sonic Wave -> Heal -> then it'd loop on itself

But it just uses moves randomly

Am I using the wrong thing here?
I did it as

Condition: Don't Run (didn't touch this) Span: Battle

>Loop
>>Force Action: [1:BOSS], [Shout], Random
>>Force Action: [1:BOSS], [Sonic Wave], Random
>>Force Action: [1:BOSS], [Heal], Random
>> (BLANK)
: Repeat Above

Kalentan

I tried that, but it won't follow the pattern. The test pattern is supposed to go:

Shout -> Sonic Wave -> Heal -> then it'd loop on itself

But it just uses moves randomly

Am I using the wrong thing here?
I did it as

Condition: Don't Run (didn't touch this) Span: Battle

>Loop
>>Force Action: [1:BOSS], [Shout], Random
>>Force Action: [1:BOSS], [Sonic Wave], Random
>>Force Action: [1:BOSS], [Heal], Random
>> (BLANK)
: Repeat Above

I think because of this:

The Span setting is for setting how often the Battle Event occurs when the conditions are met. For
example, if you only want the Battle Event to execute once over the course of the battle (as we do here),
the select “Battle”. Selecting “Turn” means that the Battle Event will execute once each turn, if the
conditions are met. “Moment” will allow the Battle Event to execute each and every time the conditions
are met.

Try using Turn rather than Battle.

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/rpgmaker.assets/files/RPGVX_Tutorial_Level_20.pdf
https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/rpgmaker.assets/files/RPGVX_Tutorial_Level_21.pdf

It's a VX tutorial but it works for MV. Although the second link might be not as important.

Evilisk

I think because of this:

Try using Turn rather than Battle.

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/rpgmaker.assets/files/RPGVX_Tutorial_Level_20.pdf
https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/rpgmaker.assets/files/RPGVX_Tutorial_Level_21.pdf

It's a VX tutorial but it works for MV. Although the second link might be not as important.

Hmm

I thought it worked but that turned out to be luck (when I retested it, it turned out I'd just gotten lucky with the attack order, and it went back to doing it randomly)

I even removed two of the Force Actions and tried to just do the 1 attack over and over. Still didn't work.

I'm gonna try read through the thing you've posted, and try to figure this thing out a bit later.

IceIpor

Hmm

I thought it worked but that turned out to be luck (when I retested it, it turned out I'd just gotten lucky with the attack order, and it went back to doing it randomly)

I even removed two of the Force Actions and tried to just do the 1 attack over and over. Still didn't work.

I'm gonna try read through the thing you've posted, and try to figure this thing out a bit later.
Unless you're trying to give the boss free moves every turn, do not force the moves through the troop editor.
From my testing, "Don't Run" actually means "this page runs under no circumstances, so the moves will never be used".
So, for what you're trying to do, I would recommend the following:

In the enemy editor, remove all the moves except for the moves you want him to use. For each move, set it under condition of a switch (S1,S2,S3).

In the troop editor, set the condition to while Enemy has 100% HP or lower and the span to be Turn. (Battle is run only once throughout the entire battle, while the other option is to run it constantly until manually stopped.)

Do a conditional branch of :
Turn off S1, S2, S3.
if Variable 1 = 0, Turn on S1
if Variable 1 = 1, Turn on S2
if Variable 1 = 2, Turn on S3
Variable 1 = +1
if Variable 1 =>3, Variable 1 = 0.

That will get you to what you want to do.

EDIT: By free moves, I mean that the enemy will automatically use the move(s) listed before the actual turn starts and therefore gets a free move in addition to their regular pattern.

Evilisk

Unless you're trying to give the boss free moves every turn, do not force the moves through the troop editor.
From my testing, "Don't Run" actually means "this page runs under no circumstances, so the moves will never be used".
So, for what you're trying to do, I would recommend the following:

In the enemy editor, remove all the moves except for the moves you want him to use. For each move, set it under condition of a switch (S1,S2,S3)

In the troop editor, set the condition to while Enemy has 100% HP or lower and the span to be Turn. (Battle is run only once throughout the entire battle, while the other option is to run it constantly until manually stopped.)

Do a conditional branch of :
if Variable 1 = 0, Turn on S1, Off S2, S3.
if Variable 1 = 1, Turn on S2, Off S1, S3.
if Variable 1 = 2, Turn on S3, Off S1, S2.
Variable 1 = +1
if Variable 1 =>3, Variable 1 = 0.

That will get you to what you want to do.

To the bolded, well that makes more sense.

I thought Don't Run meant "player is not allowed to escape from battle" (which was dumb of me)

I tried it out, it seems to be working so far. The only thing is it's not letting me set at 100% or lower, only 99% (so the boss ends up doing nothing until the turn after they've gotten hit)

Sölf

I tried to to this pattern thing, which in theory should work, but I have two problems. However, these might be problems with the trial:

First, my whole engine is in German and I have no idea how to change it. The official forum talks about a language folder, but I can't find it and I also have no idea where to copy the language file. Forum tells me to do it in the same folder where the .exe is, but eh, unless I really haven't found the language folder, that doesn't work.

Secondly, this might be a translation error, me having really strange luck, or the Force Action -> Random target doesn't work. The enemy only attacked the very first target, the whole time. It never changed up.

Then again, you don't need the whole "Force Action" thing. Just give the enemy skills which activate every X turns. For your example (Shout -> Sonic Wave -> Heal -> then it'd loop on itself), do the following:

Shout: Turn 0 + 0 * X
Sonic Wave: Turn 1 + 3 * X
Heal: Turn 2 + 3 * X
Shout: Turn 3 + 3 * X

The first Shout will active in the very first round (which is turn 0 and not turn 1, for whatever reason). After that, it will follow the pattern: Sonic Wave in turn 1, 4, 7, 10, etc. Heal in Turn 2, 5, 8, 11, etc. Shout in Turn 3, 6, 9, 12, etc. Works and even allows you stuff like one out of two spells every 2 + 3 * X round, so maybe he uses Heal or a Double Attack.

Evilisk

Sölf;184261280 said:
I tried to to this pattern thing, which in theory should work, but I have two problems. However, these might be problems with the trial:

First, my whole engine is in German and I have no idea how to change it. The official forum talks about a language folder, but I can't find it and I also have no idea where to copy the language file. Forum tells me to do it in the same folder where the .exe is, but eh, unless I really haven't found the language folder, that doesn't work.

Secondly, this might be a translation error, me having really strange luck, or the Force Action -> Random target doesn't work. The enemy only attacked the very first target, the whole time. It never changed up.

Then again, you don't need the whole "Force Action" thing. Just give the enemy skills which activate every X turns. For your example (Shout -> Sonic Wave -> Heal -> then it'd loop on itself), do the following:

The first Shout will active in the very first round (which is turn 0 and not turn 1, for whatever reason). After that, it will follow the pattern: Sonic Wave in turn 1, 4, 7, 10, etc. Heal in Turn 2, 5, 8, 11, etc. Shout in Turn 3, 6, 9, 12, etc. Works and even allows you stuff like one out of two spells every 2 + 3 * X round, so maybe he uses Heal or a Double Attack.

This seems to work (without having to use as many switches too), though on the turn they're meant to heal, they don't do anything

EDIT: Actually, it's not the healing not working, it's that they don't do anything on that turn (I tested it, changed Turn 2+3 to an attack skill, it still didn't work)

EDIT 2: Actually, the healing isn't working and certain skills don't work either (switched Heal and Sonic Wave, Sonic Wave still worked)

IceIpor

To the bolded, well that makes more sense.

I thought Don't Run meant "player is not allowed to escape from battle" (which was dumb of me)

I tried it out, it seems to be working so far. The only thing is it's not letting me set at 100% or lower, only 99% (so the boss ends up doing nothing until the turn after they've gotten hit)
I simplified the conditions a little. Also, that's odd because I can definitely set to 100%. So you could use another approach like turn on a switch beforehand, or use turn 0 + 1x.

IceIpor

Sölf;184261280 said:

This in theory should work, and it does, but for some reason it messes up unless the move ratings are all at 9.

Top Bottom