• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker Community Thread |OT| It's how you use it...

Golnei

I finally got around to playing Close Your Eyes. Fairly well-paced, and the usage of limited player agency to instill a sense of responsibility and guilt in some sections was well done. The Silent Hill influence was very apparent, but it came across as more of a homage making use of similar tropes, rather than anything too derivative. Which probably has a lot to do with the notably effective sound direction - it ties the sometimes-stumbling script, deliberately-limited player interaction and simplistic sprites together; overall being responsible for creating most of the atmosphere. I'd be interested in hearing how the collaboration on the vocal tracks ended up coming about, as well. The decision to omit footsteps from the game entirely was unexpected; but it ended up working well enough with the player character's intangibility and the surreal nature of the spaces they traverse.

Also, the mansion keys were a very nice bit of relatively subtle humour, though the bathetic approach taken to showing the mansion murders was more hit-and-miss, even if it did provide an effective contrast with the first flashback scene and Simon dialogue.

However, I was disappointed in the lack of incentives to encourage replays. How am I supposed to want to get all of the endings without swimsuit DLC?

Kalentan

The folks at RPG Maker Web created a website for collating all the scripts available. One great big list in conjunction with the forums. Check it out, it'll obviously get much bigger in time.

http://mvplugins.com/master-list

That's cool. Though I feel like they should add tags saying:

Commerical-Free, Free for non-commerical usage, and fee for commerical use. Since for some, those are important.

---------------

With me dropping the Lore Codex script... I need to figure out what Script I should make since I really do want to make one.

ZeroX03

Banned
That's cool. Though I feel like they should add tags saying:

Commerical-Free, Free for non-commerical usage, and fee for commerical use. Since for some, those are important.

---------------

With me dropping the Lore Codex script... I need to figure out what Script I should make since I really do want to make one.

On the forums they mention that on each (or at least most) script's page.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

tensuke

Awesome to see a CT for RPG Maker! I'll be getting MV soon probably so I'm definitely looking forward to that. I was already developing a game in JS in fact so I wonder how easy it would be to port it over. I wish there was a built-in code editor though.

RhyDin

Can any iterations of RPG Maker allow for web based exporting, like HTML5 or other? I know Construct 2 does this, but I'm not sure if this is the only option. I want to be able to share games without people being afraid the binaries could be malicious.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

tensuke

Can any iterations of RPG Maker allow for web based exporting, like HTML5 or other? I know Construct 2 does this, but I'm not sure if this is the only option. I want to be able to share games without people being afraid the binaries could be malicious.

MV (the newest one) uses relies on JS and can be played in the browser. Data files are all JSON. When you export it it creates a www folder (besides the main platform build) which contains all the game files, game engine scripts, and an index.html page. Seems to work in FF and Chrome but IE wouldn't run it because of local file access, not sure if that's an issue because I'm running it locally or an issue with IE itself.

Dusk Golem

tensuke

That'd be locally, once exported and running online it would work. Testing relies on it loading from your computer rather than stored somewhere online, which causes an error in some browsers.

Makes sense, thanks.

edit: wow, android export is...well...you have to do most of it yourself with python, jdk, etc. At least it's semi-possible. Oh btw, you have Real-Time Package instead of Run Time Package for RTP. :p

Dusk Golem

Evilisk

bFTdttQ.png

Almost finished my playthrough of Crystal Fate. Up to the last story boss (and the optional bosses). It's been a decent enough game so far. Story is nothing special. It's laid out like the last act of a story, without the first two acts in the game (though you can easily use your imagination for it). Gameplay is decent. Art and music are quite nice, though it's a bit hard to tell how much is pre-packaged stuff, how much is edited and what content is actually new.

It's pretty lite in content and it's a pretty short RPG overall. The maps are nice but don't work as well with the encounter system in place imo. Difficulty has been okay, but there's been an absurd difficulty spike in this last part. Bosses are getting like five moves a turn now, and it's really annoying and difficult to keep up with. There seem to be quite a few Yanfly scripts place, and it was quite useful for me to see how they work.

I don't think I'll have impressions that much more detailed when I've actually done the game. So to finish, I wouldn't recommend it as an example of RPG Maker used to its fullest. But it is a nice indicator of its potential. I guess, if you need a free, short-ish RPG then it's a nice, short, 3-hour romp.

Sölf

bFTdttQ.png

Almost finished my playthrough of Crystal Fate. Up to the last story boss (and the optional bosses). It's been a decent enough game so far. Story is nothing special. It's laid out like the last act of a story, without the first two acts in the game (though you can easily use your imagination for it). Gameplay is decent. Art and music are quite nice, though it's a bit hard to tell how much is pre-packaged stuff, how much is edited and what content is actually new.

It's pretty lite in content and it's a pretty short RPG overall. The maps are nice but don't work as well with the encounter system in place imo. Difficulty has been okay, but there's been an absurd difficulty spike in this last part. Bosses are getting like five moves a turn now, and it's really annoying and difficult to keep up with. There seem to be quite a few Yanfly scripts place, and it was quite useful for me to see how they work.

I don't think I'll have impressions that much more detailed when I've actually done the game. So to finish, I wouldn't recommend it as an example of RPG Maker used to its fullest. But it is a nice indicator of its potential. I guess, if you need a free, short-ish RPG then it's a nice, short, 3-hour romp.

May have to play that later. Sounds quite nice for a short RPG.

Also, I already posted this, but my game I made when I bought the VX Ace doesn't use any scripts except one for difficulty adjustments (but even that could be done without). I do think, while it is nothing special and is probably a bit on the harder side, it could be used a small example project to show off some basic stuff. Nothing really fancy, but it's also only a single dungeon which lasts for 30-60 minutes (unless you die horribly). That whole thing aside, I still would like to hear some feedback, as I am actually thinking about continueing this in VX Ace or MV (if I buy the latter that is).

Subscribed. I played a LOT with RPG Maker 95/2000/2003 and really would like to create something with it again sometime.

I just have some concerns:

Anyone here already tried to export a game to html / mobile? How is the process? Is it working fine? As a Construct2 user I don't want to have more disappointments in this area as I already have.

What would be the best version to start something? VX Ace or MV? I heard some people complaining a lot of MV, so I'm not sure.

I only have a basic notion at javascript (went through Codeacademy's course but didn't managed to finish it), and I really would like to implement a Valkyrie Profile-esque combat system. How complicated would be to implement something like that?

Evilisk

Sölf;184399319 said:
May have to play that later. Sounds quite nice for a short RPG.

Also, I already posted this, but my game I made when I bought the VX Ace doesn't use any scripts except one for difficulty adjustments (but even that could be done without). I do think, while it is nothing special and is probably a bit on the harder side, it could be used a small example project to show off some basic stuff. Nothing really fancy, but it's also only a single dungeon which lasts for 30-60 minutes (unless you die horribly). That whole thing aside, I still would like to hear some feedback, as I am actually thinking about continueing this in VX Ace or MV (if I buy the latter that is).

Alright, I'll give feedback when I get around to playing that

As I thought, the ending was pretty standard stuff, nothing that's changed my mind about the game. Apparently there are multiple endings but eh there's no game-changing twist or anything (apparently, there is a unique ending if you abuse certain skills too much, but I don't feel like I need to see it)

I had to grind out a bit for the last few bosses. I gotta say, the last boss was actually pretty fun, purely because you have a full set of characters + skills to play around with. I would've enjoyed it way more if the game let you have the full squad earlier than the last fight of the game (though I fully understand why the creator didn't do that). Kinda juvenile, but I chuckled when the creators name popped up five times in a row during the credits.

Next up on my play list is Finding Chibi

EDIT:

@Sölf: How do you download the game? It says to subscribe to download but a download button still hasn't appeared

tensuke

Anyone here already tried to export a game to html / mobile? How is the process? Is it working fine? As a Construct2 user I don't want to have more disappointments in this area as I already have.

You just go to File->Deployment and can choose Windows/Mac/Android&iOS. Whichever you pick will output the game to a folder, and inside the game's folder is a www folder. Inside there is all the data, scripts, files, etc. plus an index.html page that you need to play it in a browser. So you can just upload what it outputs to your webserver and you don't need to do anything else with it. The Android/iOS export option still just outputs an html5 game, you have to convert that to an apk/ipa yourself (there's a bit of instruction in the help documents on setting that up and getting it going, but you need to set up an android/ios dev environment and do a bit of work to get it packaged correctly, it's not automatic). Keep in mind that newer Android/iOS browsers can probably play the games directly as well.

ZeroX03

Banned
You just go to File->Deployment and can choose Windows/Mac/Android&iOS. Whichever you pick will output the game to a folder, and inside the game's folder is a www folder. Inside there is all the data, scripts, files, etc. plus an index.html page that you need to play it in a browser. So you can just upload what it outputs to your webserver and you don't need to do anything else with it. The Android/iOS export option still just outputs an html5 game, you have to convert that to an apk/ipa yourself (there's a bit of instruction in the help documents on setting that up and getting it going, but you need to set up an android/ios dev environment and do a bit of work to get it packaged correctly, it's not automatic). Keep in mind that newer Android/iOS browsers can probably play the games directly as well.

Yep, RPG Maker MV games work nicely on iPhone 6 & 6S! Make sure you've got a nice speedy server though, you don't want to be streaming in music delayed by 30 seconds.

Interesting. Could I use an APK packaging service such as CocoonJS with it?

Golnei

Sölf;184399319 said:
That whole thing aside, I still would like to hear some feedback, as I am actually thinking about continueing this in VX Ace or MV (if I buy the latter that is).

I ended up playing some of your RMVX test - as you said, it was a fairly simple project, but even within that I thought it was fairly well-balanced (especially since you were working around using only a single character); the ratio of dialogue/plot progression to dungeon crawling was pretty good, and the light, Zelda/Golden Sun-esque puzzle elements were implemented well - the last test of wit in particular was a nice iteration on Zelda's sliding floor puzzles.

Regarding the script, while it is functional and the characters are endearing enough, it might be a good idea to look into getting an editor for future English projects - there's frequent awkward phrasing, and a couple of questionable names and typos; it's not enough to break the mood entirely, but enough to be noticeable. In any case, I'd probably be interested in playing a continuation.

Sölf

Regarding the script, while it is functional and the characters are endearing enough, it might be a good idea to look into getting an editor for future English projects - there's frequent awkward phrasing, and a couple of questionable names and typos; it's not enough to break the mood entirely, but enough to be noticeable. In any case, I'd probably be interested in playing a continuation.

The main reason for that is that I mainly create games in the german community. This was the first of my games which I actually tried to translate into english. I have no problem writing stuff on a forum or reading english books and watching english shows, but actually writing a script is a completely different beast. I am pretty sure some phrases just sound off because I somewhat still "think german" when writing this. If you have any suggestions what I should change so it doesn't sound that "strange" anymore, I am all ears.

And thanks for playing!

Golnei

Sölf;184508681 said:
The main reason for that is that I mainly create games in the german community. This was the first of my games which I actually tried to translate into english. I have no problem writing stuff on a forum or reading english books and watching english shows, but actually writing a script is a completely different beast. I am pretty sure some phrases just sound off because I somewhat still "think german" when writing this. If you have any suggestions what I should change so it doesn't sound that "strange" anymore, I am all ears.

I'll have to look through it again; but when I have time I'll try to go back and compile some suggestions.

Evilisk

Currently playing through Rivalry (Finding Chibi keeps crashing on me at the first save point, and the opening has some a lot of dialogue + slow chat interface, so I'll come back to it later). The game is decent enough so far. The battle bg is a tad too dark imo. I chose the harder difficulty at the start (not sure if this has had an impact on the puzzle, but the battles have been fine for me).

I'm gonna be honest, this puzzle is really kicking my ass lol. The first two were fine enough, but I just cannot figure out how to fit the Green Orb into its slot (and how you'd even get it figured out in the time limit). I'm kinda bad at puzzles though, so it may just be me.

Sölf

Currently playing through Rivalry (Finding Chibi keeps crashing on me at the first save point, and the opening has some a lot of dialogue + slow chat interface, so I'll come back to it later). The game is decent enough so far. The battle bg is a tad too dark imo. I chose the harder difficulty at the start (not sure if this has had an impact on the puzzle, but the battles have been fine for me).

I'm gonna be honest, this puzzle is really kicking my ass lol. The first two were fine enough, but I just cannot figure out how to fit the Green Orb into its slot (and how you'd even get it figured out in the time limit). I'm kinda bad at puzzles though, so it may just be me.

The time limit is just a bonus. Each of the three rooms has something like this (Strenght has an optional boss, dexterity has 3 difficulties, intelligence has a time limit).

Regarding the background, the vey first version didn't have any changed screentone for the exact same reason, I thought it was too dark during battles, even if it's only 70% or 80% here instead of the usual 100% brightness. But I heard from several people back than that it would look better if it would be a bit darker. So, yeah, this version now has screentones. xD

Difficulty only affects the strength of enemies, nothing else. For the puzzle, if you are really stuck, here is the solution:
1. Red: Left, Down, Right
2. Green: Left
3. Purple: Down, Right
4. Green: Down, Right
5. Red: Up, Left
6. Green: Up, Left, Up
7. Blue: Down, Left, Up
8. Purple: Right, Up

Evilisk

Sölf;184532435 said:
The time limit is just a bonus. Each of the three rooms has something like this (Strenght has an optional boss, dexterity has 3 difficulties, intelligence has a time limit).

Regarding the background, the vey first version didn't have any changed screentone for the exact same reason, I thought it was too dark during battles, even if it's only 70% or 80% here instead of the usual 100% brightness. But I heard from several people back than that it would look better if it would be a bit darker. So, yeah, this version now has screentones. xD

Difficulty only affects the strength of enemies, nothing else. For the puzzle, if you are really stuck, here is the solution:
1. Red: Left, Down, Right
2. Green: Left
3. Purple: Down, Right
4. Green: Down, Right
5. Red: Up, Left
6. Green: Up, Left, Up
7. Blue: Down, Left, Up
8. Purple: Right, Up

So time's for a bonus only? I guess that makes sense then.

And oh God, I am such an idiot. I basically had most of that solved (Red, Blue and Purple). But I didn't think to leave the Blue Orb there so that I could use it for the Green Orb. Stupid me. Ah well, guess I should move on to the other rooms then.

hi everyone.
I won't lie .. the last rpg maker i've used was 2000 so using MV is a giant leap for me and i like the new possibilities ( plenty of ideas in my head to try ).

However , i have to ask ... any idea where to find some titlessets ?
My drawing skills aren't that great so i'm kinda looking forward to a place where i can take/download some new ones ( preferably free of use ) that i could use in my current project . any idea ?

Evilisk

hi everyone.
I won't lie .. the last rpg maker i've used was 2000 so using MV is a giant leap for me and i like the new possibilities ( plenty of ideas in my head to try ).

However , i have to ask ... any idea where to find some titlessets ?
My drawing skills aren't that great so i'm kinda looking forward to a place where i can take/download some new ones ( preferably free of use ) that i could use in my current project . any idea ?

Not sure about MV, but the official RPG Maker forums are a start. I think you will need to make a (free) account first. There are free, user made resources there, though you have to be careful about which ones you pick out. Some are completely free, some come with clauses like "free for use but you have to give credit/give me a copy of the game" and some you will have to pay for commercial use.

Not sure about MV, but the official RPG Maker forums are a start. I think you will need to make a (free) account first. There are free, user made resources there, though you have to be careful about which ones you pick out. Some are completely free, some come with clauses like "free for use but you have to give credit/give me a copy of the game" and some you will have to pay for commercial use.

WIll try. Thanks.

Since i've got the game i've gotten around to some serious planning ( in order to not make something too big ) so i've got some idea for the world i want to make so i want to create this world first before setting up the events & populating the database.

Cedric

I'm having a bit of a problem trying to figure something out in RPG Maker, hopefully someone here can provide me with an answer.

Let's say you are tracking a character's Region ID, and you have a map that has two regions (1 & 2). Is it possible to check if your character has moved from Region 2 to 1 (not tracking the character's region, but specifically if you changed from a tile of a region to a tile of another region)? I want to be able to say, if your character is standing on Region 2, and the character's x position + or - 1 = to Region ID 1, then if character goes from Region 2 to Region 1 something happens.

The idea is to simulate falling off cliffs. I want characters to fall down every time you pass from a region ID that is higher than the next tile to a region ID that is lower so that the character will move down until he reaches the logical lowest platform. I'd like this sort of process to be applied universally instead of having to make specific events around all edges of a cliff. I'm planning to have all sort of different numbered regions, and each unit of increase from one region to the next would have to correspond to a difference of 1 tile in height. I'm guessing the process would go something like:

-check character's x.y. position corresponds to which region ID
-check if next tile corresponds to a region ID > than current region ID
-if character moves to that tile, move down a number of tiles corresponding to Region ID (1) - Region ID (2).

For this to work I would also have to have different tilesets for each "height" I think? On the ground everything except the ground floor is blocked, on the second lowest level everything except the ground floor and the second floor is blocked (allowing the character to move fall from 2->1, but not from moving from 2->3). This also allows stuff like being able to walk on bridges if you're on an upper level, but if you're on a lower level than you are walking under a bridge.

does this make sense?

Sölf

Is there any way to patch the trial? I still have version 1.0 and that has some bugs which actually prevent me from working. I can't even redownload it (or I don't know where I should do that).

Edit: Found it, god I am blind.

Still no idea how to change the language though.

ZServ

I'm having a bit of a problem trying to figure something out in RPG Maker, hopefully someone here can provide me with an answer.

Let's say you are tracking a character's Region ID, and you have a map that has two regions (1 & 2). Is it possible to check if your character has moved from Region 2 to 1 (not tracking the character's region, but specifically if you changed from a tile of a region to a tile of another region)? I want to be able to say, if your character is standing on Region 2, and the character's x position + or - 1 = to Region ID 1, then if character goes from Region 2 to Region 1 something happens.

The idea is to simulate falling off cliffs. I want characters to fall down every time you pass from a region ID that is higher than the next tile to a region ID that is lower so that the character will move down until he reaches the logical lowest platform. I'd like this sort of process to be applied universally instead of having to make specific events around all edges of a cliff. I'm planning to have all sort of different numbered regions, and each unit of increase from one region to the next would have to correspond to a difference of 1 tile in height. I'm guessing the process would go something like:

-check character's x.y. position corresponds to which region ID
-check if next tile corresponds to a region ID > than current region ID
-if character moves to that tile, move down a number of tiles corresponding to Region ID (1) - Region ID (2).

For this to work I would also have to have different tilesets for each "height" I think? On the ground everything except the ground floor is blocked, on the second lowest level everything except the ground floor and the second floor is blocked (allowing the character to move fall from 2->1, but not from moving from 2->3). This also allows stuff like being able to walk on bridges if you're on an upper level, but if you're on a lower level than you are walking under a bridge.

does this make sense?
If I'm understanding this correctly, the solution would be a parallel process that puts the player's current region into a variable. Then, this process should.. I'm overcomplicating this. This is possible.

For bridges, this is a really basic tutorial. But, then there's still the whole problem of "not having events everywhere." I get what you're trying to do, I'll research it more.

Cedric

If I'm understanding this correctly, the solution would be a parallel process that puts the player's current region into a variable. Then, this process should.. I'm overcomplicating this. This is possible.

For bridges, this is a really basic tutorial. But, then there's still the whole problem of "not having events everywhere." I get what you're trying to do, I'll research it more.

Thanks! I already have a system up for my bridges, it's kinda similar to the tutorial you posted except everything is handled by a parallel process and checking player position in order to switch tilesets.

I think to simplify my earlier post, what I'm trying to figure out is a way to track a change in Region ID without modifying the player's X or Y position. By using "add 1 to player.x variable", I am checking the tile to the right of the player but I'm also modifying his coordinates. I guess what I need to do is add 1 to the player X variable to determine the next tile, then immediately subtract 1 in order for the game to accurately track where the player is actually standing.

Well after days trying to find the right assets for the game i want to make , i'm kinda forced to give up on it.

My planning is alright , but despite my best intentions it's way bigger than i anticipated.
Add to the fact that my experience of Rpg maker 98 & 2000 doesn't help as much as i hoped with MV ..i'm having a hard time finding the groove to shape my project the way i want.

I guess my only option is to try to make a even smaller project and hope that this time i'll be able to make it so that i can do it in rpg maker MV without so much trouble.

Now about rpg make MV .... the way the program now can make random dongeons for you is quite a time saver. I didn't know that rpg maker had this feature ( saves me a lot of time because i only have to make the necessary retouches to simple test maps.)

MrHoot

Well after days trying to find the right assets for the game i want to make , i'm kinda forced to give up on it.

My planning is alright , but despite my best intentions it's way bigger than i anticipated.
Add to the fact that my experience of Rpg maker 98 & 2000 doesn't help as much as i hoped with MV ..i'm having a hard time finding the groove to shape my project the way i want.

I guess my only option is to try to make a even smaller project and hope that this time i'll be able to make it so that i can do it in rpg maker MV without so much trouble.

Now about rpg make MV .... the way the program now can make random dongeons for you is quite a time saver. I didn't know that rpg maker had this feature ( saves me a lot of time because i only have to make the necessary retouches to simple test maps.)

Try maybe something I do: Take one place from the game or simply an idea you want to do, what you think would be the best place/strongest point of a whole game and develop that for fun and see if it works out

ZeroX03

Banned

MV just came out. It'll be a while before a strong asset base is built up. You can always try and upscale VX assets if you don't mind how it looks. This is probably the best option.

Don't be afraid to use temporary assets either. You can easily replace stuff at a later point when more becomes available.

Also only use the dungeon generator - which has been around since 2000 or 2003 I believe - as a jumping off point. It doesn't design fun dungeons!

Try maybe something I do: Take one place from the game or simply an idea you want to do, what you think would be the best place/strongest point of a whole game and develop that for fun and see if it works out
This is a good idea , will think about it ( since i'm back to the planning phase )

I guess i'll try just some set piece in rpg maker Mv , just to test small ideas before doing the big thing .. i guess my main problem is that i'm still not accustomed to MV yet.
MV just came out. It'll be a while before a strong asset base is built up. You can always try and upscale VX assets if you don't mind how it looks. This is probably the best option.

Don't be afraid to use temporary assets either. You can easily replace stuff at a later point when more becomes available.

Also only use the dungeon generator - which has been around since 2000 or 2003 I believe - as a jumping off point. It doesn't design fun dungeons!

It certainly wasn't in 2000.

It's true that it doesn't design fun dongeons but it's agood tool to try ideas i guess since you still need to place traps, events , backgrounds.

I do have a small question . is it possible to remove a piece of title set you've place on a map ? What if i want something empty ( in other to see the background ) but i've set a title in there by mistake ( i don't want to undo , i want to remove that place , not replacing it by something else..or better i want to replace it by something transparent .)
What's the correct method ?

Falk

that puzzling face
Hahaha I knew that link was gonna be Waifu2x

That thing is pretty unbelievable for what it is.

ZeroX03

Banned
It certainly wasn't in 2000.

It's true that it doesn't design fun dongeons but it's agood tool to try ideas i guess since you still need to place traps, events , backgrounds.

I do have a small question . is it possible to remove a piece of title set you've place on a map ? What if i want something empty ( in other to see the background ) but i've set a title in there by mistake ( i don't want to undo , i want to remove that place , not replacing it by something else..or better i want to replace it by something transparent .)
What's the correct method ?

Must've been introduced in 2003 then. 2k and 2k3 are crashing my PC for some reason at the moment otherwise I'd just check.

To remove a B/C layer, use the transparent square at the top left of the B tile set (on default tilesets). That'll clear everything from the B/C layer but not the A layer.

Hahaha I knew that link was gonna be Waifu2x

That thing is pretty unbelievable for what it is.

It's actually a custom Waifu2x shell specifically designed for RPG Maker so it's slightly better than the usual. I think most stuff that goes through Waifu kind of looks ugly, but for the colorful VX Ace stuff it works nicely. As long as you don't mind a smooth look.

Evilisk

Here's some progress I guess. I've been doing a lot of practice mapping. This is probably the first I've done for the actual project I'm working on. I've gotta say, I'm probably remembering wrong, but the default tileset for VX Ace is really lacking compared to XP. I mean, I don't remember XP having only 4 default tilesets to work with.

Also, just wondering, is it normal for your project to take forever to save when there's loads of maps/resources put into the game? Cause I'm starting to notice the program basically freezes up everytime I save now

Must've been introduced in 2003 then. 2k and 2k3 are crashing my PC for some reason at the moment otherwise I'd just check.

To remove a B/C layer, use the transparent square at the top left of the B tile set (on default tilesets). That'll clear everything from the B/C layer but not the A layer.

It's actually a custom Waifu2x shell specifically designed for RPG Maker so it's slightly better than the usual. I think most stuff that goes through Waifu kind of looks ugly, but for the colorful VX Ace stuff it works nicely. As long as you don't mind a smooth look.

Damn i was especially looking forward to be able to clear a A layer title and go back to a transparent one ( so i could see the background )

Sölf

That there is no longer a separate RTP is a bit meh. Games suddenly become so big. My gamen isn't even 20 minutes long and only has 6 music files, but it's already 174 mb big. Most of it comes from the animations, but I know I will use most of them in the long run. D:

Evilisk

Tried some fixes for my saving problem, stuff like disabling Cloud saving. Unfortunately it didn't end up helping much at all.

I'm sort of debating cutting the game into parts, purely for developmental reasons, because RPG Maker keeps crashing whenever I save now. Can you create maps in a new project and import it into another project? I think I might do that if it turns out splitting it is too much of a hassle

Sölf

Tried some fixes for my saving problem, stuff like disabling Cloud saving. Unfortunately it didn't end up helping much at all.

I'm sort of debating cutting the game into parts, purely for developmental reasons, because RPG Maker keeps crashing whenever I save now. Can you create maps in a new project and import it into another project? I think I might do that if it turns out splitting it is too much of a hassle

Should work. You could also just copy the whole project and delete the stuff you don't need in the other. xD

ZServ

Here's some progress I guess. I've been doing a lot of practice mapping. This is probably the first I've done for the actual project I'm working on. I've gotta say, I'm probably remembering wrong, but the default tileset for VX Ace is really lacking compared to XP. I mean, I don't remember XP having only 4 default tilesets to work with.

Also, just wondering, is it normal for your project to take forever to save when there's loads of maps/resources put into the game? Cause I'm starting to notice the program basically freezes up everytime I save now

You're subscribed to a bunch of Steam Workshop stuff. It re-downloads every thing you're subscribed to whenever you "save." My current project has around 60 or so maps, 10-15 of which are big (50x50 or so) maps, rest being moderately large (25x25) or small (minimum size).

DNAbro

Recently got VX Ace to work on a project with a friend. Does anybody have a good video/guide for messing around with battle system through scripts? I could probably spend time reading the the code and figure it out but don't want to waste time if I can help it. Or if you know a script that creates a system that is kind of like Soul Hackers where enemies can be on two rows and move forward if the one in front is defeated (https://youtu.be/3P1QG6wRMRU?t=2h9m52s) it would be pretty helpful.

or should I just look up basic scripting tutorials to start with and go from there? I can code and just went through an online Ruby course for the syntax stuff.

Top Bottom