• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Holy shit, not much longer until midnight. Went over early and traded in KZ2 and SSBB to get the game for 20 bucks. What a deal. Tonight can't some soon enough. Anyone else going to *lose* themselves in this one tonight? No question AC2 is the redeemer; brown and tan assassin garb please!

Huh? Getting $40 credit for two games that probably cost you about $110 at retail is a deal? Sounds pretty scamtastic to me.

MyEpitomeCliché said:
Huh? Getting $40 credit for two games that probably cost you about $110 at retail is a deal? Sounds pretty scamtastic to me.

Eh, except I didnt buy them at full price. I got them off of Goozex. So no, it was actually a pretty good deal for me.

fernoca

MyEpitomeCliché said:
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Eh, except I didnt buy them at full price. I got them off of Goozex. So no, it was actually a pretty good deal for me.
Not to mention that (even paying full price):
No trade-ins: Killzone 2 + Brawl + Assassin's Creed 2 = $170
With Trade-ins: Killzone 2 + Brawl + Assassin's Creed 2 = $130
Trading 2 games he knows he's not going to play, and he's getting the same "experience" for a little less money.

Anyway...Can't wait to pick this.......in a few weeks.. :( ..the only disappointing from what I've seen/played are..the faces/facial expressions (ugh)..but everything else..is just better.

fernoca said:
Not to mention that (even paying full price):
No trade-ins: Killzone 2 + Brawl + Assassin's Creed 2 = $170
With Trade-ins: Killzone 2 + Brawl + Assassin's Creed 2 = $130
Trading 2 games he knows he's not going to play, and he's getting the same "experience" for a little less money.

Anyway...Can't wait to pick this.......in a few weeks.. :( ..the only disappointing from what I've seen/played are..the faces/facial expressions (ugh)..but everything else..is just better.

Precisely!; of course it's relative and I'm not dumb, I know Gamestop rips people off with trade ins. I use Goozex exclusively, unless I have games that will net me a decent chunk of change so I can get a game I want more. In the end, KZ2/SSBB and I get AC2 for 20 dollars? When you don't "pay" for the two games, I don't see how that isn't a good deal.

5 hours in. Still loving it.. it's in my top 5 for GOTY like most have already said. Great variety in activities, rewarding gameplay and polished all around. Since I fellated it last post, I'll give some flaws:

- Occasional pop-in, screen tearing and long loads.
- Very slow burn; a lot of training/tutorials even 5 hours in.
- Core platforming mechanics and cutscenes could still be better (see: UC2)

Also pet peeve: I wish you could hear Italian VO for Italians and English VO for English instead of one or another (also going back to main menu to change it sucks). Finally, the music/OST RULES!

DrBo42

DevelopmentArrested said:
5 hours in. Still loving it.. it's in my top 5 for GOTY like most have already said. Great variety in activities, rewarding gameplay and polished all around. Since I fellated it last post, I'll give some flaws:

- Occasional pop-in, screen tearing and long loads.
- Very slow burn; a lot of training/tutorials even 5 hours in.
- Core platforming mechanics and cutscenes could still be better (see: UC2)

Also pet peeve: I wish you could hear Italian VO for Italians and English VO for English instead of one or another (also going back to main menu to change it sucks). Finally, the music/OST RULES!
Core platforming in UC2 is better? UC2 also has linear levels, not open cities. Kind of an unfair comparison isn't it?

Ridley327

There's literally no room for improvisation in either Uncharted game when it comes to the platforming, either; you can go only where the game wants you to go. I'm not even sure why someone would make the comparison.

DrBo42 said:
Core platforming in UC2 is better? UC2 also has linear levels, not open cities. Kind of an unfair comparison isn't it?
I'm not talking about the platforming itself; I'm speaking solely on the level of control mechanics re: platforming. I'm sorry but having to hold RT+A for hours or simply holding RT+UP on the control stick to climb a massive tower isn't rewarding. The non-linearity (or lack thereof) of the world isn't a factor in my gripe.

RS4-

DrBo42 said:

I think the camera and controls are much better in UC2 compared to AC2; sure, Drake isn't climbing huge buildings, but the controls play a big part.

Zeliard

Both Uncharted and Assassin's Creed have auto-platforming with a huge margin for error. The difference is that with AC, you aren't going down some scripted path.

Zeliard said:
Both Uncharted and Assassin's Creed have auto-platforming with a huge margin for error. The difference is that with AC, you aren't going down some scripted path.
Except the margin for error is higher in AC2 for the very reason that there are so many different paths to go on. Plenty of times I've jumped to a ledge I didn't intend to. I really don't see how the openness of the world has anything to do with the fact that the core controlling mechanics aren't up to the level of Gears 2 or Uncharted 2.

Except the margin for error is higher in AC2 for the very reason that there are so many different paths to go on. Plenty of times I've jumped to a ledge I didn't intend to. I really don't see how the openness of the world has anything to do with the fact that the core controlling mechanics aren't up to the level of Gears 2 or Uncharted 2.

Must resist temptation to destroy you...

Zeliard

Assassin's Creed is one of the smoothest-controlling games I've ever played. Unless AC2 somehow revamped the control scheme entirely, and for the worse, then I honestly can't imagine what the issue is.

And Gears? Gears is clunky as fuck.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Gears 2 and on AC1 (which I thought controlled worse than AC2) but can you explain to me how having to hold a trigger and a button down just to free run is a wise design choice?

We'll have to agree to disagree on Gears 2 and on AC1 (which I thought controlled worse than AC2) but can you explain to me how having to hold a trigger and a button down just to free run is a wise design choice?

Oh, I'm not saying it necessarily is, but it isn't a terrible one either. Let's not bring in the Gaf dichotomy here.

Zeliard

I disagree that a parkour system in a game needs to be complex in any way - the devs want to give the player a same feeling of utter freedom and great athleticism, and hampering the player with some complicated control scheme wouldn't benefit anyone.

Altair/Ezio as characters never struggle with the free-running, so why should the player who's controlling them?

beelzebozo said:
i really think the platforming in mario galaxy is better. just sayin'.

It's real platforming in Mario, and the platforming in any Mario beats the platforming in almost anything. Games like Assassin's Creed, Uncharted and Infamous are not what I would call platformers by any stretch.

DrBo42

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Oh, I'm not saying it necessarily is, but it isn't a terrible one either. Let's not bring in the Gaf dichotomy here.

Yes, please. I regret responding to the original remark.

beelzebozo said:
i really think the platforming in mario galaxy is better. just sayin'.
jerryhorrified1.gif

ugh. ill just move on. sorry for bringing up a minor controls gripe! yeesh

Aljosa said:
For those who played or are playing it, is there any lag on the menu when you purchase stuff? That shit always pisses me off in games. :lol
not really no.

Kingpen

I have dragon age and borderlands in plastic due to lack of time recently (and am a 1p gamer pretty much only)....

Is it the wrong decision for me to think about offloading one of them to pick this up tomorrow? I'm thinking I should just stand pat and play what I have since they are very highly acclaimed games, but I just really think AC2 is going to be pretty good....

For those who played or are playing it, is there any lag on the menu when you purchase stuff? That shit always pisses me off in games. :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ugh. ill just move on. sorry for bringing up a minor controls gripe! yeesh

just fuckin' with you man. UC2 is the ps3 version of MG: its fans cannot shut up about it. great games have that effect on people.

Zeliard said:
I disagree that a parkour system in a game needs to be complex in any way - the devs want to give the player a same feeling of utter freedom and great athleticism, and hampering the player with some complicated control scheme wouldn't benefit anyone.

Altair/Ezio as characters never struggle with the free-running, so why should the player who's controlling them?

It's real platforming in Mario, and the platforming in any Mario beats the platforming in almost anything. Games like Assassin's Creed, Uncharted and Infamous are not what I would call platformers by any stretch.

i'm with you on all this 100%. the parkour here feels great.

Kingpen said:
I have dragon age and borderlands in plastic due to lack of time recently (and am a 1p gamer pretty much only)....

Is it the wrong decision for me to think about offloading one of them to pick this up tomorrow? I'm thinking I should just stand pat and play what I have since they are very highly acclaimed games, but I just really think AC2 is going to be pretty good....

I hate myself to suggest this (DA is awesome) but return both and get AC2 for now. I'm sure you will find other two in holiday deals later on.

DrBo42

Kingpen said:

Return Borderlands, keep Dragon Age.

Phthisis

Kingpen said:

I think AC2 is one of the three best games I've played all year. I liked Dragon Age, but it is most definitely not in that top three (or five for that matter).

JambiBum

Alright, question for those who went to the splinter cell thing. Can you find any other way to download the ringtones besides quicktime? Don't wanna get pro just for these.

kaskade

My copy shipped from Amazon a little while ago. wooo. Should be here by 4:30 tomorrow. I think Fed Ex usually delivers around noon at my house though.

ThePeacemaker02 said:
My copy shipped from Amazon a little while ago. wooo. Should be here by 4:30 tomorrow. I think Fed Ex usually delivers around noon at my house though.

It'll be there around noon, then. *adjusts wristcuffs*

Rlan

Well the Gametrailers twitter said 15 minutes until their Assassin's Creed II review, but the counter says 15 hours?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

How would you do it? Ezio has too many abilities and movement states to use just analog stick tilt to determine them. The modifier system AC and AC2 use are all that makes his level of agility possible alongside such a precise level of control. Your comparisons and complaints are simply incorrect. What you're describing simply doesn't happen when I play.

A lot of people seem to have this issue with AC (and presumably AC2 now) where they aren't especially proficient with the game's controls and blame the game for it instead of their own lack of ability. It's not the game, it's you. Practice, practice, practice.

MattKeil said:
How would you do it? Ezio has too many abilities and movement states to use just analog stick tilt to determine them. The modifier system AC and AC2 use are all that makes his level of agility possible alongside such a precise level of control. Your comparisons and complaints are simply incorrect. What you're describing simply doesn't happen when I play.

A lot of people seem to have this issue with AC (and presumably AC2 now) where they aren't especially proficient with the game's controls and blame the game for it instead of their own lack of ability. It's not the game, it's you. Practice, practice, practice.
You can't come up with a better excuse than that? Really?

mjc

Rlan said:
Well the Gametrailers twitter said 15 minutes until their Assassin's Creed II review, but the counter says 15 hours?

Are they PST? 15 hours would make it 12 noon central time but I don't think they're central.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MattKeil said:

You're going to have to explain to me why running needs to be a modifier. How does he have too many abilities such that tilting the analog stick doesn't work?

Mario in Mario 64 has more user-controllable, non-context sensitive actions than the player character in Assassin's Creed has. Running and walking does not need to be decided with a button press.

At absolute worst, you need to modify to push through a crowd or sprint. But regular running?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Is it my TV or there is no aliasing in this game?:p

RS4-

Supa said:
For the collectors among you, could you help me build an Assassin's Creed 2 feather locations overview?

Me, I'm still waiting for my pre-order to arrive.

"Feather locations are revealed after buying in-game maps."

Unless I'm missing something, the maps only show treasure chests.

And about the map, what's really bothering me is that locations aren't labeled, so if there's a glyph you decided to skip at a particular area, good luck trying to find it again.

So let's say I'm missing a glyph at Building A, great, it shows me a picture of said building but...if I wanted to look for it, I'm SOL.

OmonRa

RS4- said:

And about the map, what's really bothering me is that locations aren't labeled, so if there's a glyph you decided to skip at a particular area, good luck trying to find it again.

So let's say I'm missing a glyph at Building A, great, it shows me a picture of said building but...if I wanted to look for it, I'm SOL.

You could wikipedia the building and then go to the district. :D

Phthisis

RS4- said:

Just match the picture, or google the real thing. Most unique structures are pretty distinct.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
Ether_Snake said:
Is it my TV or there is no aliasing in this game?:p
Are you playing the ps3 version and have your display set to 1080p? it internally renders to 960x1080 2xMSAA instead of 1280x720 2xMSAA and do some stuff which makes that config look more smoothed out.
If you dont have that setting, Both ps3 and 360 console versions render at the usual 720p res, no ghetto smaller framebuffers allowed :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah PS3, 1080p. Cool. It looks practically perfectly smooth.

Top Bottom