• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria trailer #2

Thoraxes

Any chances of a PC or NX version in the future?

I think PC did well enough for Zestiria that they'd definitely bring this one to PC too.

I don't think any of us have enough of an idea what the hell NX is to even begin trying to ponder any answers to that part of the question at all.

With how similar the games in this series are I find that my enjoyment of them directly correlates to how much I like the MC, Graces was trash tier garbage while Vesperia was easily the best one.

This chick actually seems unique compared to normal JRPG MCs so that's good so far. I sure could do with a better outfit though.......

aitakute

Someone found something interesting
Lu8Vrlh.jpg

Misuta

Please be Asbel 2.0 to spite all the heretic Graces haters on this message board.

Asbel is not the worst. Graces was great. Cheria da bes.

Of course it's similar how are they going to afford making their next game. Reuse assets while you can so it funds your next console game...

Disco Asbel forever!
vU3b0i0.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I really am digging the beastial motherly vibe they have going on between the two main characters.

I assume there's a scene in the game where the MC is going out of control and rampaging and the kid hugs her or something and she calms down with the power of love or something similar.

Durante

Looking through the discussion on the previous page, I think one reason I enjoy the Zestira battle system quite a lot is that I've always used free run extensively ever since it was introduced in Tales. In Zestiria I enabled always freerun and haven't even thought about it since.

Philippo

Graphics are seriously awful (christ look at the competition Baba), and it tries to be so edgy it makes me laugh.

Tales of Berseria |OT| Tales of Berserk

Soriku

Graphics are seriously awful (christ look at the competition Baba), and it tries to be so edgy it makes me laugh.

How are they able to make the game more serious without having people calling it edgy?

Also it's not much edgier than...lots of anime out there.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Edgy is the most overused word in the non english vocabulary outside of try hard.

As for the graphics, i doubt tales team is given the opportunity to enhance the engine any. Hopefully Namco bandai let's them actually use a new engine at some point in the future, but that would mean expending more on that team than the bare minimum required.

I don't think Baba has the control you think he does about certain decisions.

Meh. :/
I was hyped by the first teaser and totally disappointed by this trailer. :/
The setting just doesnt click me. I would've hope a classic Tales of setting, but all these werewolves things... :/

aitakute

I wonder if "that man" has something to do with Velvet's transformation?
Here, I translated some lines from the trailer:
Velvet: The world has changed from that day
Velvet: The people and beasts haunted by the devil
Velvet: Became a hell where people are getting eaten alive
Man: Do you know why the birds fly in the sky?
Man: That's just how things are
Man: There's no thing you can do getting all emotional like that
Man: You don't have to forgive me. Everything is my sin
Velvet: I won't forgive you! I will never forgive you!
Text: This is a tale about emotion and reason
Velvet: Where's that man?
Man 2: Looks like you're not human
Velvet: Out of my way! Or I'll eat you too!
Man 2: We'll return your ruthless way of fighting with ruthless!
Velvet: So that's how you guys do things!
Kid: Stop! "something"
Velvet: You need to show your emotion at time like this. Like, hate, fun or scared. You're living, you know
Lizard: We're getting attacked! It's a pirate ship!
Man 3: That is...
Kid: I... Do it, Velvet!!
Velvet: Even if you don't tell me to!
Text: Not for someone else's sake. Not because someone gave command
Kid: I'm... living
Kid: Velvet, I'll go with you

Rising_Hei

Give me already, 60 fps goodnes.
Also, graphics are good enough for what the game is, remember that this is still a cross gen game, and that more graphics usually means that other areas gets crappier.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm liking the way it is approaching with each video. It's a Tales game so I'm not expecting the next Count of Monte Cristo, but it's always good to zone out for a bit and plug away at it. Symphonia killed the Tales games for me because of its length, but I've come to appreciate the franchise in bite-sized doses.

Looking through the discussion on the previous page, I think one reason I enjoy the Zestira battle system quite a lot is that I've always used free run extensively ever since it was introduced in Tales. In Zestiria I enabled always freerun and haven't even thought about it since.

I'm the same. I mean, the game allows lock-on so I don't know why players wouldn't use freerun exclusively.

Kikujiro

Looks like your copy/paste Tales of, it will probably be rushed like all the Tales of post Xillia. Star Ocean 5 looks like a generation ahead.

Kasumin

As much as I don't like TP I miss Vesperia's battle system. I might restart the PS3 version next month just to relive it.

I really hope the transformation thing from the new trailer isn't Chromatus/Armatization all over again.

Sorry to break it to you, but I think Ludger was just the beginning of a trend. I had that sense ever since I played Xillia 2. Zestiria essentially forced you into using two Ludgers. And I can only imagine Velvet's gimmick will be advantageous to the point that she'll have the best combo potential of the cast just like with Ludger. Ludger was ranked #1 in a popularity in Japan anyway, so clearly OP MCs that outshine the rest of the cast are in nowadays.

I think Bamco stopped giving Tales team enough budget after Vesperia didn't sell as well as they wanted it to. All the Tales games after Vesperia seemed to have lower budget..

This would make sense. But I'd say they're to blame for agreeing to make it exclusive (at first) for the 360 in Japan's market. They killed its sales potential doing that.

This series is going down a strange path.

This is coming from a guy who has been on board with the series since the beginning.

The series is going down the path of reducing player choice while distracting them with flashy new gimmicks that don't really add anything of substance to the combat. See: Ludger and Armatization.

As for story, they seem to be going down a darker path with these more realistic models. Xillia actually had a nice balance of darker elements and the usual Tales lightheartedness. Xillia 2 flew off the deep end with some fanfiction level dark and edgy crap where the writer seemed to think that the higher the body count, the better. And Zestiria was so tonally dissonant that I'm not even sure of what to make of that game's overall tone. You have Rose the happy and cheerful
assassin who gets to decide who lives and who dies and everyone is totally okay with this.

I'm not optimistic about this game's story. I have a bad feeling that Hearts/Xillia 2/Zestiria's main scenario writer will be back, which means that the games main themes of "emotion and reason" will drop off at some point in the plot only to be brought up later out of nowhere. Probably at the very end.

Love the Tales series but I cant say I like the direction of the franchise since Xillia.

Xillia is where the decay started. Xillia 2 is when things began to rot. By Zestiria, there was a stench. By which I mean, the series has been on a downward trend since Xillia. I think Xillia 2 made them realize that they didn't have to put much effort in their games to get fans excited and buying their merchandise.

Yazuka

Please be Asbel 2.0 to spite all the heretic Graces haters on this message board.
Asbel is not the worst. Graces was great. Cheria da bes.

You. I like you. Graces gets way to much hate. Its one of my favorite Tales of games.

Berseria looks good IMO. Great that they are hitting 60fps.
Hope they'll announce it for west soon.

Zafir

Looks interesting, probably the most interested I've been in a Tales of main character in sometime(Shame about the outfit mind...). Not sure I approve of another story revolving around a kid though since they already did that not long ago.

Ganondorfo

I am out of the loop with this series since 2008 with Vesperia. As there is no "What is the best Tales of game in total package". I will ask this here, is Vesperia, Symphonia and Abyss still considered the best in this franchise?

Or has Zestiria surpassed, just asking because I want to hop again on this franchise. Thanks for answering before hand.

Kasumin

He only was because Yuri Leon and Asbel were excluded from that poll.

I don't think Asbel was excluded. Pretty sure he was still on the poll. I know that Yuri and Leon were promoted to the Hall of Fame.

Or has Zestiria surpassed, just asking because I want to hop again on this franchise. Thanks for answering before hand.

Not even close. Zestiria is arguably fun, sure, but in terms of mechanics, world design, characters, and overall vision I'd say it falls short of Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia. The game feels very much like they just checked things off on a list while making it. The battle camera is also terrible and the Skill system makes you rely on grinding and RNG t otake full advantage of it.

I'd recommend Graces F and Xillia (and even Xillia 2) before I'd ever recommend Zestiria.

Abandoning the Vespira artstyle is still the dumbest shit ever. I like the tone of this tales though

Looks terrible compared to the Ni No Kuni 2 trailer. Baba pls
Looks bad in comparison to the original Ni No Kuni, Persona 5 and a game in the same series that came out 7 going on 8 years ago. Shit is fucking ridiculous. If they don't switch something unreal engine 4 for the PS4 exclusive tales, I'm going to be pissed. Shit if the Naruto engine was flexible enough, they could have used that too.

Looks okay, although after just finishing up Zestiria a few weeks back this doesn't seem to impress me like a lot of other recently announced jrpgs gameplay and graphics wise. 60fps is very much a welcome though.

The narrative looks interesting, I like how it seems that the writers are now more commited to telling a dark story rather than mixing and mashing dark and light elements like Zestiria. Velvet looks cool to play as and may have potentially memorable sceneries given her attitude and back story. I also wouldn't mind a smaller cast if it means more development given to them along with other significant NPCs.

I just really hope this is the last cross-gen Tales game, because the studio is really falling behind their compitition. I'm sure Tri-Ace are laughing in their offices watching this trailer, considering what they have going with Star Ocean 5 (a cross-gen game that looks significantly better both graphically and mechanically). Like others have said, Unreal Engine 4 has come to the rescue for Japanese developers, so it would be wise for this studio to take advantage for the next iteration.

That looks really interesting. Far more so to me than the last few Tales games to thankfully.

Crossgen in 2016 is fucking ridiculous though. I know Japan is behind the rest of the world in switching to current gen, but come on.

Crossgen in 2016 is fucking ridiculous though. I know Japan is behind the rest of the world in switching to current gen, but come on.
It's times like these were people (myself included) tend to forget P5 is cross-gen with no current plans for a PC port lol. At least Berseria is most likely coming to Steam when it hits the West

Not even loli girl can make me retract my statement

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I fully enjoyed Zestiria so I'm ok with any similarities. I'll be grabbing it on Steam if/when it shows up there. Shame about the MC's outfit, I'm rarely bothered by this kind of thing but this one looks truly awful. Guess we'll have to resort to DLC to fix that.

Also, more Go Shiina music pls.

I haven't played a Tales game in a long time but I'm quite liking the character design/style they're going for with this one. I think I may want to check it out.

Stuart444

Dark haired Milla looking good.

Same world as Zestiria (though probably different continent since we only saw one continent in Zesty), wonder if they will make any call backs to Zestiria in it lol.

aravuus

I am out of the loop with this series since 2008 with Vesperia. As there is no "What is the best Tales of game in total package". I will ask this here, is Vesperia, Symphonia and Abyss still considered the best in this franchise?

Vesperia and Abyss are still the kings. And Symphonia, I guess, although I've personally never found it very interesting.

Personally feel the series has been in a decline ever since Vesperia.

Top Bottom