• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria trailer #2

I am out of the loop with this series since 2008 with Vesperia. As there is no "What is the best Tales of game in total package". I will ask this here, is Vesperia, Symphonia and Abyss still considered the best in this franchise?

Or has Zestiria surpassed, just asking because I want to hop again on this franchise. Thanks for answering before hand.
Zestiria probably does not surpass Symphonia and Vesperia but in term of character and music it destroys Abyss which has one of the worst cast out there. Of all the tales of ps3 Zestiria would be one of my favourites!

Mifec

Zestiria probably does not surpass Symphonia and Vesperia but in term of character and music it destroys Abyss which has one of the worst cast out there. Of all the tales of ps3 Zestiria would be one of my favourites!

I can't decide between graces f and Abyss.

Even teepo wasn't as bad, there I said it.

Oh, Velvet is a werewolf hunter being a hybrid herself maybe? Gonna call her dark Milla anyway. WIll probably pick this up on PC unless Bamco can get this at 60 on ps4.

Luigiv

So the main character can transform into a beast? Ok, hopefully things work out better than the last time they tried.

jfn4FKW.jpg

Edit: That said, the combos look legit, so there's hope.

Quonny

Please, please fix the horrendous item and skill system from Zesteria. Will wait for more details before getting hyped, but it looked okay.

koutoru

Oh, Velvet is a werewolf hunter being a hybrid herself maybe? Gonna call her dark Milla anyway. WIll probably pick this up on PC unless Bamco can get this at 60 on ps4.
Now that they're developing the game with PS4 in mind, 60 fps will almost be a guarantee for PS4.

PC will also benefit from this of course.

Dark_castle

It's like they aren't even trying anymore.. The last 4 main games looked all very similar. I really hope once the series makes the real next gen jump to PS4 they will try harder.

After seeing 7R, DQXI and Ninokuni 2 this just looks boring. They need to go back to that Vesperia style again.. I mean just thinking how good it could look on PS4, think NNK2.

Exactly.

Art style can go a long way. Ni No Kuni 2 certainly isn't exactly a AAA title like FFVIIR or DQXI, but because of its stylized art direction and presentation, it looks so fresh and charming. Namco Bandai keeps recycling the same asset, art style, game engine, character design over and over again. Even the combat which tends to be good has become repetitive in design. They don't take risk, they don't challenge themselves to make their product more stand out than before.

And before any Tales fan scream at me "B-b-but it's a female protagonist for the first time, and there's pirate, there's werewolf!!". To that I say, big whoop.

Did we play the same games? Abyss had a much more defined and standout cast compared to Zestiria. Luke alone justifies Abyss' place as the best written Tales game (Jade, Guy, and Natalia are just icing on the cake). Music I completely agree with though, Zestiria had an A1 OST

PKrockin

As always I will buy day 1 and enjoy the battles and skits while tolerating the story. I rolled my eyes at the main character's outfit when I first saw it, but I'm also glad they're going out of their typical shounen lead comfort zone as I liked Yuri and Ludger. Also nice to see she doesn't just use a one-handed sword in battle.

Please, please fix the horrendous item and skill system from Zesteria. Will wait for more details before getting hyped, but it looked okay.
The skill system is different in like every game, so I don't think you need to worry about that.

I don't care what it's called. Tales is more fun when you have freedom.

If you're trying to evade several enemies, side step is a bit awkward. I mean it's fine for most encounters, but I prefer moving wherever I want, smoothly.

Strange in what way?

Freedom/Free Run even basically means, Go play Star Ocean. The differences mechanically between the two sister series was LMBS. This is something Tatsuro Udo understood when implementing LMBS into a 3D space starting from Graces.

AlucardGV

Banned
i see she's using bloodborne beast claws, i already like her.
hqdefault.jpg

game looks crossgen, i hope it's ps4 -> ps3 and not ps3 -> ps4 but i'm not optimistic about it

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The “Linear Motion Battle System” will be evolved in Tales of Berseria. Here are some of the notes on that:

• The character controls are based on free run.
  • Camera angles can be freely moved around during battle.
  • The Artes you want to use can be set on all four buttons of circle, X, triangle, and square, and you can do combos by combining up buttons to decide which Arte to use next.

As for the controls, they’re said to be familiar to what we’ve had in the Tales series, and described as “battles with speedy and refreshing feelings” and “controls that just about anyone can pick up and play with ease” as some of the focus.

There’s a lot more new features, including new systems that will be announced in the near future for Tales of Berseria.
Siliconera

and the boy name is Laiphaset.

naeS

Ahhhh see I thought this was Zestria before I bought it, but no this is the game I was looking for. But Zestria is good so far.

Fisico

Exactly.
Art style can go a long way. Ni No Kuni 2 certainly isn't exactly a AAA title like FFVIIR or DQXI, but because of its stylized art direction and presentation, it looks so fresh and charming. Namco Bandai keeps recycling the same asset, art style, game engine, character design over and over again. Even the combat which tends to be good has become repetitive in design. They don't take risk, they don't challenge themselves to make their product more stand out than before.

I don't know, if you ask me they've been slowly but continuously changing the overall formula for the past few years (Hearts, Graces, Xillia, Zestiria) to the point it doesn't have much to do anymore with where the series was standing 10 years ago.

But since everyone focus on the graphics, which are pretty similar at first glance, with Zestiria using almost exclusively new assets mind you, gameplay tends to be put in the same basket.

A short recap of what the series have introduced in the past episodes

- Hearts, no worldmap anymore, dungeons and town are directly linked to each other
- Graces, 1:1 world with real sized backgrounds and building
- Xillia, Free camera control outside of battle, characters also have realistic proportions
- Zestiria, seamless between in-game and cutscene and between exploration and battle (battle -> exploration still have a small transition, wouldn't surprise me if they get rid of it in Berseria), wider areas to explore (which are empty, but that's not the point)

And that's for the overall formula, every episode change the battle system and has its own spins on many subsystems that often does not come back in the following episode.

Basically with 1/10th of the budget your usual AAA game has and shorter dev time they're trying to go slowly but surely after the "realistic open world game" that tends to be very appealing for the overall market while still trying to make each episode feels "unique" in some way (whether or not they reach that purpose is up to debate)
Also regarding the game engine it was changed in Zestiria, you shouldn't assume things by only looking briefly at some trailer.

I'm not trying to defend the series especially btw, it has a lot of flaws is probably not developed properly considering the dev time each episode is given and the latest games do look pretty similar to each other, but before saying anything and pretending to know things you don't, try to, I don't know, do a little bit of fact checking ?

Regarding character design, they have 4 people taking care of it these days, Berseria seems set to have the same treatment

Not!Mila pirate-vampire-werebear protag CONFIRMED.

Sorry to break it to you, but I think Ludger was just the beginning of a trend. I had that sense ever since I played Xillia 2. Zestiria essentially forced you into using two Ludgers. And I can only imagine Velvet's gimmick will be advantageous to the point that she'll have the best combo potential of the cast just like with Ludger. Ludger was ranked #1 in a popularity in Japan anyway, so clearly OP MCs that outshine the rest of the cast are in nowadays.

This would make sense. But I'd say they're to blame for agreeing to make it exclusive (at first) for the 360 in Japan's market. They killed its sales potential doing that.

The series is going down the path of reducing player choice while distracting them with flashy new gimmicks that don't really add anything of substance to the combat. See: Ludger and Armatization.

As for story, they seem to be going down a darker path with these more realistic models. Xillia actually had a nice balance of darker elements and the usual Tales lightheartedness. Xillia 2 flew off the deep end with some fanfiction level dark and edgy crap where the writer seemed to think that the higher the body count, the better. And Zestiria was so tonally dissonant that I'm not even sure of what to make of that game's overall tone. You have Rose the happy and cheerful
assassin who gets to decide who lives and who dies and everyone is totally okay with this.

I'm not optimistic about this game's story. I have a bad feeling that Hearts/Xillia 2/Zestiria's main scenario writer will be back, which means that the games main themes of "emotion and reason" will drop off at some point in the plot only to be brought up later out of nowhere. Probably at the very end.

Xillia is where the decay started. Xillia 2 is when things began to rot. By Zestiria, there was a stench. By which I mean, the series has been on a downward trend since Xillia. I think Xillia 2 made them realize that they didn't have to put much effort in their games to get fans excited and buying their merchandise.

The "two Ludgers" thing is the real problem here as it dedeemphasises the other characters and their independant viability.

Busaiku

Maybe it's too early to tell, but they seem to be going for a larger male audience with this one.
Wonder how that'll do.

So the main character can transform into a beast? Ok, hopefully things work out better than the last time they tried.

jfn4FKW.jpg

Edit: That said, the combos look legit, so there's hope.

What are you talking about ? this game doesn't exist

Yep : just checked ...doesn't exist

NateDog

Vesperia and Abyss are still the kings. And Symphonia, I guess, although I've personally never found it very interesting.

Personally feel the series has been in a decline ever since Vesperia.

In fairness Bamco had financial help from Microsoft for that title, but yeah Vesperia is by far my favourite. Although I never played Symphonia, at least not yet although I have that HD collection there and have since it came out.

I really think they need a new art direction, it looks way to similiar to the past several tales games (not cel shading one of them would be a good start) or just use a new engine already.

I still haven't finished Zesteria and I really have no desire to, after Xillia (it was decent) and Xillia 2 (holy shit god awful) I'm just not feeling this series as much anymore, I normally love these games but the last several just don't even feel like they are trying anymore.

Also still want Vesperia PS3 version on PS3/PS4 or PC >.>

Dweebo

Banned
this series is the CoD of RPG's. they come out too often and I lost interest after Tales of Symphonia. I'm sure the games are fun to play but I got overwhelmed with the series and how fast they were pumping out the next game each year or two I felt.

Rpgmonkey

Looks ok. Kinda expected more to say/show after so long with no information, not much really stood out.

- Good that they're indeed sticking with 60 FPS, and with how the game looks they damn sure better hold that framerate a lot better than Xillia/Xillia 2/Zestiria did theirs.

- If I'm understanding them right, like I expected the Free & Free skill in Zestiria was a test and now it seems like it'll be incorporated into standard controls. A controllable camera is also good, funny to me that this is something they had to immediately state thanks to Zestiria's awful camera lol.

- I hope they're working out making your full party visible on the field. Zestiria being seamless was nice but the short loads to add/remove party members/enemies in Zestiria made the experience pretty janky...

- So far no annoying gimmicks that seem like they'll break multiplayer or force party compositions on you.

Seems like it's taking a lot of stuff that was unfinished or clumsily-designed in Zestiria and trying to make them...good. That's ok I guess.

Some Nobody

Its a good thing I gave the trailer another look. I was going to come in here and trash all the (remaining) crossgen fans and everyone pining for 60fps 'cause the trailer looked super trash when I watched it on my PS3 app and I was blaming you all, lol.

But giving it another watch on my laptop it's OK. It's not SO5 level (that one guy was kidding, right), but for the shoestring budget these guys seem like they get, it's not terrible. It's still in progress so its possible it can look better by the time we get it, too. I just wish they could make their grassy field environments look less barren.

The overall story seems like it'll be cooler than Zestiria was, too. I like Velvet a lot already, and I only hate kid protagonists when they're annoying. Laiphaset seems more Leon (SO2) than Lymle (SO4), so let's go. I'm just wondering about the rest of the cast. Overall though, while I'm going to need more info before I settle on my true feelings, I haven't almost immediately written it off like I did with ToZ.

this looks pretty meh and for a franchises like tales of, i was expecting the next graphical jump on Ps4.

Im so glad that in this gen we have so many JRPG's coming back on consoles and i don't have to stick to those few franchises from last gen

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hope most of the development centers around Laiphaset and Velvet. If you have too big a cast, character development can suffer oftentimes.

If its a real story of this forming and strengthening bond between these two characters, i hope they do it right.

Rising_Hei

That'd be your opinion, yes, the kid of Abyss is annoying, but the characterisation is awesome and Luke is really well done :) one of the most "human" characters ever

Vesperia falls short compared to Abyss because of the horrible last quarter of the end

Zesteria has better battle system, better overworld & better game design, but that is.

Kaze2212

That'd be your opinion, yes, the kid of Abyss is annoying, but the characterisation is awesome and Luke is really well done :) one of the most "human" characters ever

Vesperia falls short compared to Abyss because of the horrible last quarter of the end

Zesteria has better battle system, better overworld & better game design, but that is.

I freaking love Luke - he is my favorite male protagonist by far. So many people always hating on him :(. He was just a really well done character imho.

Although I really liked Vesperia overall, I agree with you that towards the end it really dropped the ball.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Looks alright, Looks like its using ToZ's engine. I can't wait to see the true next gen Tales will look like.

Tales has been using the same engine for a long time...TOZ was just a modified Xillia engine to make bigger areas(that didn't run all that well on PS3 HW because of that, the engine was stressed already)

I don't think there will be a "true next gen" tales, until Namco Bandai actually gives Baba a budget to work on actually overhauling some basic things, or letting them use another engine.

Until now, they've just been working on making the base games, and hacking what they already have into shape for whatever they need game wise.

Atleast this time, they are working from a position of working with the PS4 hardware from the beginning instead of just porting the game over after the PS3 version is done, so they can optimize the framerate and the gameplay for a fluid framerate and nice IQ.

Maffis

Not digging that MC costume.

But I am digging the game. I really hope it comes to Steam at release. Anyone know if Zestiria did well on Steam?

3Kaze

You should never expect good graphics from a Tales game, at its best (Vesperia) it still looked much worse than jrpgs released before it, like Eternal Sonata. Symphonia, Legendia and Abyss were pretty bad looking for ps2 as well. The 2D games were cool though.

Luigiv

What are you talking about ? this game doesn't exist

Yep : just checked ...doesn't exist

Fair point, can't argue with that.

No GoldCrusader is spot on. Abyss has the most awful cast of characters imaginable. Not a single one has any redeemable feature. Luke was not even remotely "human", his entire arc was forced and contrived. His personality is entirely one dimension, than he does a complete 180 in two seconds and continues to be completely one dimensional. Awful, awful writing.

Hikami

Looks good to me, wish they'd ditch the Xillia art style already though. I don't hate it, just tired of seeing it again for like, the 4th game now(?)

Top Bottom