• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria trailer #2

Cornbread78

OK, that looked great.

Did anyone else notice she was able to switch her target in mid air to continue her chain? That was awesome.

SlLcY8W.gif

Oh and hello little guy, thanks for the zap..

g6DJSWQ.gif

Dice//

Banned
OK, that looked great.

Did anyone else notice she was able to switch her target in mid air to continue her chain? That was awesome.

SlLcY8W.gif

g6DJSWQ.gif

God I hope those are seperate battle grounds otherwise it looks like the world is gonna be full of a lot of nothing again.

ED Cantu

This new trailer did nothing for me, I mean yes, the battle system looks good from what they showed but usually that part is the one they always get right, I'm really getting bored of the art style they've been using since Xillia.

As a hardcore Tales fan this is the first time a trailer for a new mothership game doesn't get me excited, is it too much to ask for them to try a new art style and return to having just one character designer so it feels more cohesive? hopefully when they make their first PS4 exclusive title they would be able to change the engine, maybe even use Unreal 4 or something.

By the way, I'm not sure this is the thread to bring this up, but apparently we have a new IP supervisor, or at least that's what I got from this article on Tokrin, someone named Tanaka who does the voice for Viva Kun (a puppet used to promote the series), don't know what this means for Hideo Baba but it seems he wasn't at the live stream.

ys45

Please tell me they won't use the same combat system as Zestiria
Actually please tell me they won't use anything from Zestiria .

Is she targeting them? Almost looks like she's blindly attacking.

Yeah just seems like 2 skills(or 3 not sure) back to back, with no hard targetting. One aoe that lifts enemies, then a frontal swipe combo thing, and a finisher which might just be part of the swipe thing. Doesn't look targetted though, as she's not following the enemies and instead moving away from them as she's hitting in a straight line.

RangerBAD

Glorious 60FPS.

Looks like transitions to battles are gone again. I hope they fixed the camera this time around if they're going that route. Interested to see more of what the battle system will be like, but the usual people around here will probably figure it out sooner or later.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
OK, that looked great.

SlLcY8W.gif

g6DJSWQ.gif

She wasn't switching the target. She was always targetting the back soldier. The front soldier just happened to be in the way and got caught.

Datschge

Tales isn't that big of a company right? I'm sure they'll make the leap soon, but I'm pretty sure this was made for PS3 first once again.
Tales Studio doesn't exist anymore as a company since late 2011 when Xillia 1 was released. Since then the primary developer is Bandai Namco Studios which has over 1000 employees, so very big by any standard.

I wonder if they're going with 4 character designers again, the boy looks like he might be an Okumura character. If he is I'm sure he'll get shafted in some way like all of his characters have been in main games so far lol.
The boy is already confirmed to be by Iwamoto. In general for support characters the cute simple designs are by Iwamoto, and the stylish cool designs by Okumura.

Despite having zero evidence or logic to back up this guess, I'm not feeling terribly confident in SO5's technical prowess.
Technology wise tri-Ace always has been light years ahead of any Tales games (bugs density wise as well though).

I have a legit question though: are Star Ocean games, as individual units, more popular worldwide than Tales? All the info I can get is that Star Ocean 2 and Star Ocean 3 sold over 1m worldwide each. Not sure about 4 though.
SO has consistently higher sales in the West per game, but the Tales highs in Japan are much higher so with far more games overall total sales of Tales dwarf those by SO.

Freedom/Free Run even basically means, Go play Star Ocean. The differences mechanically between the two sister series was LMBS. This is something Tatsuro Udo understood when implementing LMBS into a 3D space starting from Graces.
This. Though Graces is still the only game having it down perfectly. Zestiria with its broken camera made the always free run mode actually more balanced, and if the little info for Berseria is not misleading they seem to go with that as default instead actually fixing the camera issues.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
If there is no linear plane where you're moving on like Graces or Zesty then they will have to make a very compelling case as to how this battle system will work cuz as I understand it, the game sounds like Star Ocean and that's not good.

I'm hyped for this. As long as the main character has a great and likeable personality, it'll be fine.
I wouldn't hold my breath, they seem to be going for a purposely flawed and unlikable character this go around. I honestly don't mind because Sorey was super cardboard jrpg protagonist

All I've ever wanted was waifus that didn't live in worlds from PS2-era games. The monstrous disparity between Eastern and Western graphics is gross.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Looks fun, seems like Namco gave up on making seamless Tales of games after Zesteria.

tri-Ace wins, flawless victory.

Datschge

If there is no linear plane where you're moving on like Graces or Zesty then they will have to make a very compelling case as to how this battle system will work cuz as I understand it, the game sounds like Star Ocean and that's not good.
I'm starting to doubt there are any Tales heads left bothered by this, vocal fans always preferred free run and the few remaining Tales staff by all accounts so far moved up to doing managerial tasks.

This new trailer did nothing for me, I mean yes, the battle system looks good from what they showed but usually that part is the one they always get right, I'm really getting bored of the art style they've been using since Xillia.

As a hardcore Tales fan this is the first time a trailer for a new mothership game doesn't get me excited, is it too much to ask for them to try a new art style and return to having just one character designer so it feels more cohesive? hopefully when they make their first PS4 exclusive title they would be able to change the engine, maybe even use Unreal 4 or something.

By the way, I'm not sure this is the thread to bring this up, but apparently we have a new IP supervisor, or at least that's what I got from this article on Tokrin, someone named Tanaka who does the voice for Viva Kun (a puppet used to promote the series), don't know what this means for Hideo Baba but it seems he wasn't at the live stream.

I used to like Hideo Baba, but I feel we need someone new, so hopefully we do have someone new now. Unless this new person was part of the decision to make the protagonist's outfit look like shit.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I can't into Tales games and this doesn't do anything for me either.

They feel like cheap produced jrpgs.

Because they ARE cheaply produced. Has nothing to do with what they can do with the budget on hand.

I'd say on the whole, the games are pretty fun.

Mediking

I really hope the female protagonist is very likeable. Likeable as in goofy, happy, maybe even flirtatious but not over the top, then she can be super angry or moody when it comes to fighting. I pretty much want this main character to do what Lightning should've been. But if... The developers are going for a Lulu like character from FF 10 then that's perfectly fine! I'll take a Lulu clone!

Error

All I've ever wanted was waifus that didn't live in worlds from PS2-era games. The monstrous disparity between Eastern and Western graphics is gross.

yeah, but this is 60fps, tell me a big western game on consoles that is 60fps and it's not full of jank and bugs.

Ranmo

Looks great. I always look forward to these. Hopefully the story is really good. I always end up falling in love with Tales games because of the character interactions and sketches but heres to hoping we have another AMAZING entry into the franchise.

I hope it doesn't have open world combat, and if it does it at least fixes the camera problems. Also hopefully it uses CC resource instead of what we had in Zestiria.

Frillen

Zestiria looked awful with big locations filled with nothing, and looking like a PS2 game at times. This doesn't look much better than the average PS3 title.

Error

Call of Duty?

I mean, I've never played any of them, but I've also not read a lot of complaints about bugs.

the content density of a FPS is always lower than a full on RPG, I think a more appropiate comparison could be Fallout 4 or Witcher 3, those games looked great (well maybe not fallout 4) but how many patches did Witcher 3 needed on consoles to run decently. Right off I know that when I play Berseria on my ps4, it's going to run smoothly and with minimal bugs. Nowadays I will never expect something like that from a western game without a day-1 patch or numerous subsequent patches down the line.

Durante

I think the degree of interactivity between open-world sandboxes like TW3/FO4 and Tales also makes that a bad comparison. Perhaps DA:I is closer, how was that day 1 on consoles?

Anyway, talking about the cheap production/character model quality, I think a very fair comparison is Gust. I severely doubt they have even a Tales-like budget for Atelier games, and yet their character models are superior.

This is a direct framebuffer grab on PS3 (!):

After Xillia 1 & 2 being pretty boring and Zestiria being not too far off in quality (seriously hate the title system; how they managed to screw it up from it's perfection in Graces, I'll never know), I'm not too hype for this.

But we'll see. The games haven't been unplayable at the very least.

3Kaze

I think the degree of interactivity between open-world sandboxes like TW3/FO4 and Tales also makes that a bad comparison. Perhaps DA:I is closer, how was that day 1 on consoles?

Anyway, talking about the cheap production/character model quality, I think a very fair comparison is Gust. I severely doubt they have even a Tales-like budget for Atelier games, and yet their character models are superior.

Weird thing is that flight unit also made models for Zestiria which look nothing like Atelier or Shining Resonance models.

Boss Mog

I don't know what to think....

The video on Youtube has a 60fps option. Does this mean that the game will actually be 60fps (on PS4 at least)?

But then the fact that it's PS3 and PS4 again makes me think that it'll be 30fps on both again, as they will probably just use the Zestiria engine since the graphics pretty much look exactly the same.

Inuhanyou

Boss★Moogle;189348992 said:

The video on Youtube has a 60fps option. Does this mean that the game will actually be 60fps (on PS4 at least)?

But then the fact that it's PS3 and PS4 again makes me think that it'll be 30fps on both again, as they will probably just use the Zestiria engine since the graphics pretty much look exactly the same.

Why would you think that necessitates 30fps on PS4? Since Zestiria was a simple port, and this is a game made with both platforms in mind, it think its wrong to say that.

Durante

And clearly, the Zestiria engine is in fact built with 60 FPS in mind.

It's just that it doesn't run at that speed on consoles (or unmodified on PC).

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
To the few complaining about cross-gen or the graphics, who is going to pay that budget? The games are niche outside Japan and their sales have stagnated. We're lucky this is a console game, and also this looks a significant step up from Zestiria graphically.

Boss★Moogle;189348992 said:

Zestiria's animations were tied to the frame rate and the game was designed for PS3 only. That's obviously not the case here after two 60 FPS in-game trailers. Proof is in the pudding.

SarusGray

Oh Atelier <3 They need to make a PS4 game already that isn't held back by ps3 and vita.

Rpgmonkey

Weird coincidence that the latest Star Ocean and Tales games both seem to be making changes/additions to their combat to where now it seems like SO will play a little more like Tales and Tales will play a little more like SO.

Looks fun, seems like Namco gave up on making seamless Tales of games after Zesteria.

tri-Ace wins, flawless victory.

I think it's still seamless. None of the "battlefields" really look like separate areas, there's a bridge in one of them that looks way too close to the action to be background scenery.

I just hope Namco's planning on doing it like tri-Ace and working on making party members always visible instead of all putting in really noticeable transitions to load stuff in/out when a battle starts or ends.

Inuhanyou

And clearly, the Zestiria engine is in fact built with 60 FPS in mind.

It's just that it doesn't run at that speed on consoles (or unmodified on PC).

Exactly. My guess was that for the scale of the porting effort, they just didn't want to bother with whatever came with getting to 60, so they force capped it to thirty and threw it out there for both PS4 and PC.

I don't think that even has any bearing whatsoever on how Berseria runs.

Inuhanyou

meh..

Tales needs a complete overhaul at this point. It still looks like a PS3 game.

It is one, although they now can take PS4 into consideration more closely when developing the game, which is nice.

Star Ocean is the same, but Tri Ace are just better at technical stuff like this.

Paltheos

Allot of unhappy replies in this topic. I disagree with allot of them, but the "This looks like a PS2 game" posts that I see over and over piss me off. Maybe it's just a preference thing, but I don't care for polygon-count, and I don't see why anyone else would (so much). As long as the graphics accurately represent what the designers are going for, even if it's not precise, that's a check box for me. If you get more power, cool. Great. As long as you're not sacrificing design elements to do it. Tales games mostly deliver. Their failings are usually art-related - They reuse allot of assets even in the same game, and they're often not creative, but the gameplay is exciting fun and the casts usually great chemistry. They succeed at what they're trying to do, and I kindly ask anyone who has a problem with them "because they look like PS2 games" to fuck right off.

Concerning Tales of Zestiria, I'm about... halfway through? I really didn't have high expectations for this from the trailers, but I'm having a great time. Some people have said that the story is generic. I was pulled in by it. It very directly and deliberately takes from Arthurian tales, and the scenario they create of an ancient, mythical race of beings that happen to live alongside humans lets the Tales team play to their strengths - Flamboyant character designs become plausible, and the writing staff can play some of the very old characters as either young or old because they don't age. Sorey as our hero is built up from the get-go as a special man destined for great things, and he quickly became... irresistible(?). He's so enthusiastic but his bookish and ruin-exploring childhood has also developed him into a very intelligent and prudent individual. One-lacking experience for sure, as some people have pointed out, but dismissing his other personality traits unfairly lumps him up with actual brain-dead, gung-ho protagonists. The whole game's enthusiastic and straightforward, for the most part. Lighter on the convoluted Tales explanations for a party staying together (except for Rose - I don't get this character at all). It does get Tales plot'd eventually but eh. It's still fun and lighthearted so I let it slide.

Allot people say the skill system is bad. I disagree - I think the systems around and supporting it are bad. Dismissing that the in-game explanation for skill fusion is inadequate (I looked it up online, and it's actually very simple), the UI for skill management is bad, unless you have fantastic memory and remember where each skill is on the grid offhand. The game should show you grid previews for fusion - What you gain and lose. No way I'm remembering the names of everything. Skill farming is... eeeh. Late-game, it seems you can manage what skills might pop up on equipment, after tremendous grade-farming in a region. I'm not sure all this farming benefits the game. It doesn't seem, at least, necessary to the main game but I do find myself spending a tremendous amount of time in my menus, in ways I both like and don't like. Graces titles were perfect for skills imo.

I like allot of the things Zestiria tries though. Armatization is cool, elements are simplified from like Graces where there were too damn many, SC is a neat idea that's more flexible than CC but I really wish we got numbers instead of a bar. I've got tons more to say but that's everything on the top of my head.

Top Bottom