• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

zma1013

Laurence
down on third try, what's up with all the complaints about him? first stage is ridiculously easy, shoot in face/visc, second phase is a little harder but his moveset is a lot simpler and easy to punish, especially the firecrawl forward and the lava spewing.

I found that during his last phase, it was easy to just shoot him to death using bone ash and then resorting to using all my blood vials to get blood bullets.

cheesekao

Well there is that. I usually just take the gems out of my weapon and put them into new one if I want to use other weapon. Don't really care for having ability to switch weapons mid fight.
I generally like having a long ranged weapon like the beast cutter and the bowblade as a back up since they can be useful in some situations.

gunbo13

Really? Lecture building is the worst level in the main game IMO because it's exactly as you describe Research Hall, just mostly empty boring rooms. I always call it the "Bloodborne by Platinum Games" level. Research Hall is a lot more labyrinthine and has enough unique rooms. The way the paths change with the staircase is pretty cool too.
Well yea, I don't particularly like the Lecture Building either. But I still like it more than the Research Hall. Aside from the staircase change, which was possibly bugged for me, it was just a lot of bagged heads to slaughter. The questing was just fetch tasks and not particularly interesting ones. If I concede anything, they both are equally lame.

For perspective, this is my list of best to worst BB areas.

1. Yahar'gul (H.Gaol)
2. Old Yharnam
3. Central Yharnam
4. Cainhurst
5. Hemwick
6. Nightmare
7. Cathedral Ward
8. Nightmare (DLC)
9. Forbidden Woods
10. Lecture Building
11. Research Hall (DLC)
12. Fishing Hamlet (DLC)
13. Byrgenwerth

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Finally got the Rakuyo. I had to use Shaman Bone Blade but whatever, coward shouldn't have ran to his buddy anyway.

Orphan of Kos is kicking the crap out of me. Still haven't beaten Watchdog of the Old Lords in Cursed Defiled but I'll try now with Simon's Bowblade.

I finally just beat that Watchdog last night with my new weapon love - Beast Cutter transformed. Where have you been all my life! :)

DSmalls84

How long is the dlc approximately? I picked it up last night and was hoping to grab the Rakuyo and Church Pick to try out. In the main game I am pretty sure I am fairly close to the end (Cleared Rom, Martyr Logarius and One Reborn).

Ranking the areas is tough, especially since I think all the areas are really good until the last three or four on my list

1. Forbidden Woods
2. Central Yharnam
3. Nightmare of Mensis
4. Research Hall
5. Old Yharnam
6. Hemwick Charnel Lane
7. Hunter's Nightmare
8. Cathedral Ward
9. Cainhurst
10. Upper Cathedral Ward
11. Yahargul
12. Nightmare Frontier
13. Fishing Hamlet
14. Lecture Hall
15. Byrgenwerth

cheesekao

How long is the dlc approximately? I picked it up last night and was hoping to grab the Rakuyo and Church Pick to try out. In the main game I am pretty sure I am fairly close to the end (Cleared Rom, Martyr Logarius and One Reborn).
It really depends on your equipment, level and how much you have gotten gud but I think 5 hours is a rough estimate but I've heard of people taking much longer or shorter to beat it.

myco666

I generally like having a long ranged weapon like the beast cutter and the bowblade as a back up since they can be useful in some situations.

Beast Cutter and Bowblade? Now thats a weird combo but I get why you would want to have that kind of setup. There have been bunch of times where I would had easier time if I could switch weapons but I like banging my head against the wall.

I would say you get easily 4-5 hours from it at least. I finished it around 5 hours but I went there overleveled and breezed through everything almost with no deaths. So if you get stuck on places it would probably take you closer to 10 hours.

taybul

I've only started creating my own dungeons but could I theoretically do this to generate these for free:

1) Use materials to create dungeon
2) Share it online
3) Save scum and enter in my shared dungeon code

I'm short on supplies right now so I can't test it immediately.

DSmalls84

It really depends on your equipment, level and how much you have gotten gud but I think 5 hours is a rough estimate but I've heard of people taking much longer or shorter to beat it.

I'm lvl 85 with +9 BOM and haven't moved on to new game + yet. Hopefully that will be manageable, most of those new weapons looks pretty awesome.

Tried messing around with a new character last night that was an Axe build and it was tough. After spending 40 hours with the Cane/BOM it was hard to get used to the Axe's long attack times and spacing. Think I will stick with Skill lol even though the spin attack was pretty great.

SkylineRKR

I think I love Hemwick. It gave me proper RE4 vibes. The boss is also underrated, it was an interesting gimmick. I also like Hypogean Gaol a lot, it was sinister and first time visitors are likely underpowered for it.

Byrgenwerth was OMG awesome until I realized how short and dumb it was.

cheesekao

Beast Cutter and Bowblade? Now thats a weird combo but I get why you would want to have that kind of setup. There have been bunch of times where I would had easier time if I could switch weapons but I like banging my head against the wall.
Not both together mind you. It's like (Insert Str wep) and Beast cutter for str builds or (Insert Skill/Blt weapon) and bow blade for skill/Blt build.

Ducktail

Rom isn't hard at all. He's very easy but the mechanics of the fight are annoying. Having to kill the spiders is annoying. Getting one shot by the meteor attack because you got clipped by a spider( or he spat at you) is annoying. Sometimes Rom will just spam the meteor attack over and over and you can't do anything but run away making the fight annoying. I get why there are spiders in the fight because without them, this boss would be a complete joke of a fight but that doesn't mean that the fight isn't annoying.

I NEVER kill the spiders. Not a single one.

Are you in a NG+ cycle? If further than the first NG+ then it might be easier to start from scratch but otherwise you should be powerful enough to grind Lecture building first floor (see my earlier posts for best echo grind locations) to up your bloodtinges to respectable levels.

The Mercy Blades are great for grinding the Lecture Hall's first floor. 1 R2 attack will kill all the students you hit at a relatively low level. With that you can get 14k echoes in less than a minute.

I don't usually grind it over and over, because that would be boring, but if I'm 10k or 20k from a level up, I'll do 1 or 2 runs. Also when I run out of healing items. One 1 minute run buys you like 20.

Audioboxer

Just kicked off a new playthrough for Christmas. Going pure quality build, no points wasted in Arcane or BT. Interested to see how weapons that are favoured to one or the other benefit from some investment in their weaker scaling attribute.

The Mercy Blades are great for grinding the Lecture Hall's first floor. 1 R2 attack will kill all the students you hit at a relatively low level. With that you can get 14k echoes in less than a minute.

I don't usually grind it over and over, because that would be boring, but if I'm 10k or 20k from a level up, I'll do 1 or 2 runs. Also when I run out of healing items. One 1 minute run buys you like 20.

Why are you grinding the lecture hall? Don't the Bloodbag enemies outside Cainhurst give like 10k each?

laxu

The best gems have - effects so you look for those, more often than not the gem you want is dropped by a boss.

Theres spreadsheets out there with glyph codes for the best chalice dungeons, most of the time the best gems will be in Fettid Rotted Cursed dungeons which makes the dungeon harder but gives you more reward.

Basically if your gem hunting you want to hit root chalice ihyll and isz as fast as possible and create frc root chalices of them so you can farm the bosses you want for the gems you want.

All the good gems have a negative attached to them and its about choosing which negative you want , most people look for gems with - weapon durability or increase stamina gems

Yeah I know. I really hate that you need PS Plus to use the glyph codes. I have been waiting (in vain I bet) to get a 12 month subscription cheaper so I can get me some good gems. I play most of my games on the PC and doubt I'd make the most of the subscription (play all the "free" games etc) so I've been putting it off.

I currently just use the 21-22% gems farmed from the DLC Winter Lanterns. The damage down against kin ones are the best because there are so few kin enemies in the game. For some weapons with high durability the durability down is ok too.

The chalice dungeons, apart from the bosses are really shit though. Most chests just have stupid ritual materials. Going thru a long ass route with many dangerous enemies and being rewarded some Ritual Blood (5) or Sage's Hair or whatever is just totally shitty. The levels also look incredible dull, I wish at least the fixed dungeons had gotten some extra attention to detail.

Why are you grinding the lecture hall? Don't the Bloodbag enemies outside Cainhurst give like 10k each?

Because I'm not there yet?

And like I said I'm not grinding it, but it's a great place to pick up some spare change if you do 1 or 2 runs, relative to where I'm at in the game (Nightmare Mensis)

laxu

They are more dangerous and it takes more time to kill them, same with Mergo's Loft Middle enemies. The dudes in Lecture building in the auditorium are really slow and don't have lots of HP so any thrust weapon kills them quickly. In NG+ with all runes I get a bit under 7000 for each enemy so about 100k in a minute or so since my LHB kills them in one thrust. You can easily rack over a million echoes in around 20 minutes. I don't know how much they give in NG but probably an amount that gives you levels quite quickly.

So in short the Lecture building gives more echoes per minute with low risk.

And like I said I'm not grinding it, but it's a great place to pick up some spare change if you do 1 or 2 runs, relative to where I'm at in the game (Nightmare Mensis)

Oooooooh, okay. I didn't even go to the Lecture Building until some point after the Forbidden Woods.

laxu

You could go to Cainhurst, you've simply missed an item found in a certain place accessible from an area where snakes roam... ;)

Damn, Augur of Ebrietas is awesome now. You can get behind an enemy and quickly stagger them. It almost feels like cheating if the cooldown wasn't so big. It's hard to perform a parry afterwards unless you're directly behind them. Sick tool nonetheless. Made my gun obselete.

myco666

Not both together mind you. It's like (Insert Str wep) and Beast cutter for str builds or (Insert Skill/Blt weapon) and bow blade for skill/Blt build.

Oops kinda misread the first post. That makes more sense.

I NEVER kill the spiders. Not a single one.

Not even in the first phase? Why? If you kill them in the first phase you can just spend all your stamina attacking Rom without having to worry about the little ones. Best case scenario you can kill Rom in that first phase if you have good setup for it.

NEO0MJ

My honour demands that the arsehole cannibal be experimented on by a crazy shapeshifter. :p

Well to tell the truth I didn't fight him fairly, either. I just hid behind the door and whipped him to death with the cane.

Best case scenario you can kill Rom in that first phase if you have good setup for it.

I never did that, though I did make it skip the second phase and jump straight to the third.

myco666

Well to tell the truth I didn't fight him fairly, either. I just hid behind the door and whipped him to death with the cane.

I never did that, though I did make it skip the second phase and jump straight to the third.

Almost managed to kill Rom on the first phase last time. Needed to hit her once after the first phase. I think in the first phase there isn't any benefit of not dealing with the little ones as you can't really go all out on Rom if you have to be dodging their attacks. Second and third phase sure since you can't just stand next to her like in the first phase.

taybul

Not even in the first phase? Why? If you kill them in the first phase you can just spend all your stamina attacking Rom without having to worry about the little ones. Best case scenario you can kill Rom in that first phase if you have good setup for it.

I never kill the spiders either. I'm so mobile on this fight that I don't really need to. My strategy for that fight is run around leading the spiders away and coming in on an opening for a quick slash or two. Rinse, repeat.

The spiders have tough armor in the front so killing them requires running around them anyway.

myco666

I never kill the spiders either. I'm so mobile on this fight that I don't really need to. My strategy for that fight is run around leading the spiders away and coming in on an opening for a quick slash or two. Rinse, repeat.

The spiders have tough armor in the front so killing them requires running around them anyway.

But why you wouldn't take out the first batch when Rom doesn't do anything? Once you have killed all of them you can just wail on Rom and do much more damage on that phase since you don't have to worry about anything hitting you. Other phases I get why you wouldn't kill the spiders but it doesn't make sense to me for the first phase. You pretty much ignore free damage if you don't kill the first ones.

Interesting piece of information I came across in the official guide: Madara's whistle requires and scales with bloodtinge, however it actually deals arcane damage. This would make it a great option for bloodtinge builds to deal some arcane damage.

Though keep in mind that the official guide is prone to some errors. I haven't tested it myself yet.

RiggyRob

Last one before the Christmas period - episode 28, Pimmsy vs. the final DLC boss,
Orphan of Kos
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXHQQw_eXe8

I found it funny that Pimmsy wanted to do the chalices to level up more, yet the extra levels had nothing to do with her beating
him
- she simply 'got gud'. The way she kept close behind
him
to charge an attack and perform a visceral were immense, and her parries against
him in the second form
were even better.

I also fount it hilarious how she fucked up doing the Hunter's Salutation in the beginning, only for the
Orphan of Kos
to fly right over her, so she still got away with it.

The last cutscene also makes a lot of sense as to why the game/DLC doesn't simply end and put you back in the Hunter's Dream -
a bottomless i.e. endless curse means the cycle is repeated over and over again, just like the second ending where you effectively become Gehrman.

Tuck

Beat Margo's wet nurse, got all 3 Moon runes (For extra soul collection) and grinder a ton - more than ten levels. Also found more gems to strengthen my weapon.

At this point, theres no more levels for me to play. Just four bosses. Orphan of Kos, Laurence, and then
Gerhman and the Moon

Hopefully my stat increase helps beat the Orphan, but I don't see it magically making the fight a joke. So I'll probably be stuck on these bosses for a while.

The only boss I had to co-op in the 3 souls games I've played was O+S. I'm hoping that does not change.

SkylineRKR

But why you wouldn't take out the first batch when Rom doesn't do anything? Once you have killed all of them you can just wail on Rom and do much more damage on that phase since you don't have to worry about anything hitting you. Other phases I get why you wouldn't kill the spiders but it doesn't make sense to me for the first phase. You pretty much ignore free damage if you don't kill the first ones.

Killing the first batch is never a bad idea. You can get your highest charge attacks in, perhaps even delay his warp.

I encountered Rom in chalice the other day, when I was summoned. And it was hilariously easy. Its just that the last time we fought I wasn't OP yet. I think I got over half of his health down during the first phase, and at the start of the second phase he was dead. Maybe with more Stam I can kill him instantly.

HORRORSHØW

the new, revamped heavy abyssal blood gem is better than the 27.2% physical blood gem for strength and quality builds. the ideal set up would be one heavy abyssal gem and two 27.2% physical gems i think.

the insane scaling of the gem means you can still allocate points into strength and get tangible benefits past the old 50 cap.

currently farming isz chalice with the 3 moon runes and was just wondering if there are other means of increasing blood echoes...
quoting myself:
Grimløck;189276107 said:
just made a F/R/C dungeon with enemies who give 92k echoes with 3 moon runes equipped. first room from the lantern. they're the boneash hunters. there are two of them. you can fight them one on one. easy to parry. the other one you can back stab. they also drop rank 6 cursed elemental runes. the other enemies in the room are easily killable.

glyph: jyb8b965 if anyone's interested in easy echoes. happy hunting.
CWPfvZFU4AArqyo.png:medium

Grimløck;189383936 said:
i made a post with my glyph a couple pages back. two boneash hunters that give 92k echoes each. fight them one by one; you can easily backstab the other one. bold hunter's mark.
here, i made a quick video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-reYopAGXGY

I don't know who I'd consider my hardest boss tbh (Haven't played the DLC yet). Maybe the BSB gave me me the most trouble but I still got through him in a couple of hours. Gehrman wasn't hard at all either, as parrying him is very easy, and makes him a joke.

Ferr986

Do we know exactly what the last patch changed on weapons?

Apart from the boom hammer, I really don't know for certain what else changed. I did read that the pizza cutter still have the same stamina usage but it stuns less than before.

SkylineRKR

I don't know who I'd consider my hardest boss tbh (Haven't played the DLC yet). Maybe the BSB gave me me the most trouble but I still got through him in a couple of hours. Gehrman wasn't hard at all either, as parrying him is very easy, and makes him a joke.

Hardest bosses for me are in Chalice. Defiled Watch Dog required a lot of concentration and took me 3 days to beat. Defiled Amygdala is very difficult too, though sort of easy if you stand underneath her and don't move when she jumps. Headless Bloodletting Beast gave me a lot of problems too, and Loran Darkbeast is what Paarl wished he was.

In the main game, Martyr Logarius was the toughest foe. And I think I died the most to Vicar Amelia, until I used Fire Paper.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Then I guess some of the higher depth dungeons are just at NG+something level to begin with? Because normal enemies tend to take quite a few hits even with weapons that make something like base+500 damage and bosses have hefty health bars. I'm in the last dungeon (Pthumery Ihyll) now and have trouble even with my 50/40/50/50/50/50 character in NG+.
I think depth 4 is NG+ difficulty and depth 5 is NG++? But I could be off. It just kinda seems like that to me.

Top Bottom