• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

danmaku

Yes Boss! said:
Very cool.

I was just getting the Limited Edition...now I'll be sure to buy the standard editon as well.

I'm tempted to do the same. For everyone else: no excuses now. This is maybe the first time ever that Cave seems to care for foreign fans, let's show them that we really want their games!

Yes Boss!

danmaku said:
I'm tempted to do the same. For everyone else: no excuses now. This is maybe the first time ever that Cave seems to care for foreign fans, let's show them that we really want their games!

And, I'll be playing on my American 360, being sure to update on the leaderboards from that machine. I'll also be sending a one of my copies to my brother in SF so that he can log some play on it from another North American machine.

simtmb

Sigh, now i seem to be having trouble checking out with PayPal with NCSX. First time ordering from there and after clicking continue on PayPal, it brings me back to their page to choose shipping options and to "Place Order". Upon click, i received Payment error, declined message.

I've more than double checked, and my details are spot-on. Hmm :S

undu

simtmb said:
Sigh, now i seem to be having trouble checking out with PayPal with NCSX. First time ordering from there and after clicking continue on PayPal, it brings me back to their page to choose shipping options and to "Place Order". Upon click, i received Payment error, declined message.

I've more than double checked, and my details are spot-on. Hmm :S
That happened to me yesterday when trying to buy something off ebay. The problem was apparently my browser, I changed from google chrome to mozilla firefox and it worked.

Doesn't anybody know if by chance cave is working on a progear remake? :p

simtmb

undu said:
That happened to me yesterday when trying to buy something off ebay. The problem was apparently my browser, I changed from google chrome to mozilla firefox and it worked.

Doesn't anybody know if by chance cave is working on a progear remake? :p

Alrighty, that's weird :/ Thanks for the prompt reply :) I'm using Firefox 3.0 at the moment, perhaps it'll work if i try again. Will do so soon. Thanks again.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
God's Beard said:
What are the chances ESP Galuda 2 will be region free as well?

Well, if Futari is region free and Espgaluda II is coming out early next year, I'd think they'd continue the trend, no?

vulva

have cave ever released any other games on the DS? I found a copy of ketsui death label and I love it, but want more =(

Happy Phantom said:
have cave ever released any other games on the DS? I found a copy of ketsui death label and I love it, but want more =(

Nope, but Arika (the team that handled the DS version of Ketsui) have released a DSiWare shmup named 'Aa Mujou Setsuna'. Sucks that it's a downloadable for the DSi, I totally would have bought it on cart if it were available as I enjoyed the hell out of Ketsui: Death Label.

vulva

Last year I had a 40 minute bus/subway commute to school/work. Ketsui made every commute fun. Perfect for the DS, since it's great for pick up and play.

Cmagus

I pre-ordered my copy probably gonna grab another as well.Thing that makes me laugh though is they make this region free to see how it will do and I mean why not just make them all region free because people will buy them do they not want money.

The latest on Ketsui from Asada, translated by EOJ @ Cave-STG:

http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=435.msg11871#msg11871

New Cave blog post talking about this port:

-Recently Asada spent some time with the port, and he says there are deeply rooted problems with it. He is not sure it can be fixed, to be honest.
-He knows many fans want the game, and while he cannot guarantee the port will materialize, he is hopeful the fans will be satisfied soon.

Bad news for the port it seems. I imagine that if they ever actually do put this out they'll remix or do some sort of package deal to make it worth it.

Daigoro

Cmagus said:
I pre-ordered my copy probably gonna grab another as well.Thing that makes me laugh though is they make this region free to see how it will do and I mean why not just make them all region free because people will buy them do they not want money.

yeah good point. it probably dosent cost them anything to make them region free right? so why not just make them all region free? seems silly.

I have to wonder if you guys are going to like EspGaluda II...

Know that

1) It's really, really hard. Up there with DOJ.
2) The game system takes awhile to get used to, and scoring well turns it into a totally different game.

I'm pretty happy if I make it to stage 4 right now (just starting the game). I could probably make it further if I could get the 1up via the stage 3 midboss, but that's a bit of a bitch too.

It's just a hard-nosed game.

For me the attraction of the console versions are both the Ikeda and Yagawa modes, which should be amazing.

Yes Boss!

adversesolutions said:

Know that

2) The game system takes awhile to get used to, and scoring well turns it into a totally different game.

I'm pretty happy if I make it to stage 4 right now (just starting the game). I could probably make it further if I could get the 1up via the stage 3 midboss, but that's a bit of a bitch too.

For me the attraction of the console versions are both the Ikeda and Yagawa modes, which should be amazing.

Yeah,

Honestly, I'm not terribly excited for it but I'm keen on picking it up since it is the next shooter for the 360. I've barely touched the first title on PS2 and from what I gather the sequel is a whole different animal. I'll be happy playing it casually and just going for survival. Three stages is usually how far I make it on these things.

adversesolutions said:

Personally, I'm expecting to love it. The original is my favourite shmup and, even if the sequel is different in terms of difficulty etc, I loved the characters and look of the first and expect to feel the same way towards the second.

I loved Mushi Futari, but this, aside from Pink Sweets and possibly Ketsui, is the shmup I most wanted to see on 360.

Tain

Know that

[...]

Up there with DOJ both loops or just the first? Pretty nutty if 1-loop EspGaluda II is in the same ballpark as DOJ loop 2.

danmaku

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Personally, I'm expecting to love it. The original is my favourite shmup and, even if the sequel is different in terms of difficulty etc, I loved the characters and look of the first and expect to feel the same way towards the second.

Same here. I love the first Esp and I think the Kakusei system is pure genius. I heard that is harder then the first, but as long as I can use Kakusei for the most difficult parts I don't think it can be as unforgiving and frustrating as DOJ. As for scoring well... it's another problem. The new Kakusei Zesshikai is mandatory for high level play, and it looks absolutely frantic, with all that bullets spawned out of nowhere, but you can safely ignore it if you play for survival.

danmaku

Quixzlizx said:
There's absolutely no info regarding whether Espgaluda II is region-free?

Nope, but I wouldn't bet on it. Mushi Futari was just a test, to see if there's a market for their games in the west. Since Death Smiles will be officially released in the US, I guess that the test went well and we can expect more localized games in the future, but no more region free. From their perspective, it makes sense. A region free game caters only to the hardcore importers, while a game that you can pick up in every store (maybe at budget price) has at least a little chance to attract some casual/impulse buyer.

Quixzlizx

danmaku said:
Nope, but I wouldn't bet on it. Mushi Futari was just a test, to see if there's a market for their games in the west. Since Death Smiles will be officially released in the US, I guess that the test went well and we can expect more localized games in the future, but no more region free. From their perspective, it makes sense. A region free game caters only to the hardcore importers, while a game that you can pick up in every store (maybe at budget price) has at least a little chance to attract some casual/impulse buyer.

I don't see how region-free and localization are mutually exclusive. It's not like those casuals are going to import the game and eat into the domestic sales. It also doesn't take any effort to make a game region-free, unlike other hardcore preferences, such as dual-audio. The only argument I can think of to keep the game region-locked is that localization companies are less likely to license the game if they think that their sales have already been cannibalized by importers, but if the difference between profit and non-profit is the difference between hardcore importers with Japanese 360s who will import the game whether it is region-free or not, and not as hardcore importers who will only import if the game is region-free, then what are the chances that the game was going to get licensed, anyway? Also, Demon's Souls seems to show that games that get a good word-of-mouth buzz going due to importers are likely to have that word-of-mouth translate into good domestic sales when the game is eventually localized.

danmaku

It DOES take some effort to make a regon free game, and more likely it's not free (no pun intended). Otherwise, everyone would do it. But as a matter of fact, Mushi is the only 360 game that's been released only in japan but on a region free disc (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, the market for shmups is awfully small. Death Smiles sold about 40k copies, and still surpassed Cave's expectations! If the western publisher doesn't want to lose the importers without a J-360, even if they are just a few people, I can't really blame them. Of course this is just my opinion, we don't have sales data for Mushi, let alone sales data for western market, so it's just an educated guess.

Quixzlizx

danmaku said:
It DOES take some effort to make a regon free game, and more likely it's not free (no pun intended). Otherwise, everyone would do it. But as a matter of fact, Mushi is the only 360 game that's been released only in japan but on a region free disc (correct me if I'm wrong).

How exactly does it take effort to make a region-free game? The region code is just one flagged variable in the final image, as far as I know. And they don't it either because for some reason they don't want us round-eyes playing it, or because like I mentioned in my last post, they are afraid that it will be harder for them to license it out.

adversesolutions said:

Know that

ESP Galuda 2 is my favorite Cave shooter.

N-Bomb

danmaku said:

No... as quix said, it's pretty much just a 1 or 2 bit flag in the code that's trivial to change. The only reasons regions exist is for market segmentization. This has nothing to do with the cost or effort of making a game.

Sad_Panda

So, the only extra things the ESPGaluda II Limited Edition has are a different boxart and a faceplate ? Since every copy of the game - Regular and LE - should be getting the bonus soundtrack, I'm gonna stick with the standard edition.

epmode

N-Bomb said:
No... as quix said, it's pretty much just a 1 or 2 bit flag in the code that's trivial to change. The only reasons regions exist is for market segmentization. This has nothing to do with the cost or effort of making a game.
As others have mentioned, you're forgetting about MS certification. Not free.

It's pretty insane that this sort of thing is required even for regions that aren't actually selling the product but that's MS for you.

Tain

fuck yes i knew it would be aksys

icalledit.gif

i started the thread on the aksys forums about localizing cave games

so basically i'm the reason why this is coming out in america

no need to thank me all at once.
1fcty0.gif

N-Bomb

epmode said:
As others have mentioned, you're forgetting about MS certification. Not free.

It's pretty insane that this sort of thing is required even for regions that aren't actually selling the product but that's MS for you.

I was speaking technically... as to business practices, I have no idea, but I can't imagine that MS is the one that would dictate if a game is region-free or not. They want the licensing revenue, and overseas sales would mean more of that, I'd think.

andymcc

Banned
N-Bomb said:
I was speaking technically... as to business practices, I have no idea, but I can't imagine that MS is the one that would dictate if a game is region-free or not. They want the licensing revenue, and overseas sales would mean more of that, I'd think.

they have to certify that it works on ntsc-us systems to ensure it is truly region free, the cave blog complained that making the game region free through microsoft wasn't as easy as hoped.

Top Bottom