• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Llyranor

1) I think the HD should work for whichever region. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2) Since you can use JP account on a NA/PAL system, the opposite should be true as well. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3) You need 360-specific peripherals to play them on the 360. Sorry.

manzo

Bootaaay said:
Firstly, can I use the HDD from my old UK 360 on the new JP one?

Yes. You can swap the HDD between the consoles with ease. No need to format or anything. Just plug-in and you're ready to go. Devices are not region coded.

Bootaaay said:
Secondly, can I recover and use my old 360 account on the JP 360? (I had quite a few arcade games I wouldn't mind playing again)

You can, but if your HDD has your account, you can just switch the HDD between consoles, no need to recover the account on the JP system. If you have a 256mb memcard, I suggest you throw your gamertag there, easier to swap the memcard between consoles than the HDD.

Bootaaay said:
Thirdly, i've got a SFIV-TE stick and a VirtuaStick-HG for the PS3 - as both plug in via USB, will I be able to use either on the 360? If not, do any of those Saturn USB pads work with the 360?

No. HID compliant controllers won't work with the 360. You'll need a HRAP EX or the SFIV-TE 360 version.

Bootaaay said:
Finally, I understand there's DLC for DeathSmiles? What does it consist of, is it worth the asking price and are there MS point cards available in Japan?

Adds a few modes to DS, a very good DLC. You can buy Japanese marketplace point cards from Play-Asia or other places. Make sure that the points are for JAPANESE marketplace, Asian marketplace points won't work!

Just adding that you can buy Japanese MS points by e-mail as well. A few sellers on ebay do that (just search for MS points Japan) and other online stores do as well (just ask first).

The DCL costs 1200 points and it is worth. The common denominations for Japanese cards are 700, 1400 and 2800. You should get the 1400 one, which will cost you around US$ 28.

Thanks for all your help guys :)

Shame about only 360 specific accessories working - I was pretty sure the PS3 sticks wouldn't work, but it'd have been nice if those Saturn USB pads worked. Are there any good 3rd party controllers out there with a better d-pad than the default 360 one? I don't think I can stretch to purchasing a 3rd stick after splooging my cash on a new 360 :/

Also, can anyone reccomend Mamoru-kun? It reminds me of a non-isometric, shmup version of Purikura Daisakusen on teh Saturn and as i'm a fan of some of G-Rev's other shooters I was considering picking this up too, but would like some impressions or reviews first.

Llyranor

It's even more money, yeah, but if you bought the J360 especially FOR the shmups, the arcade stick would probably be worth the investment.

Yes Boss!

Bootaaay said:
Also, can anyone reccomend Mamoru-kun? It reminds me of a non-isometric, shmup version of Purikura Daisakusen on teh Saturn and as i'm a fan of some of G-Rev's other shooters I was considering picking this up too, but would like some impressions or reviews first.

Definitely get Mega Black Label for DS. Just consider the extra cost as part of the original price.

I'm having fun with that new G.rev game. It has beautiful graphics and presentation. Not sure what I'm doing, really, other than walking through the stages and shooting everything in sight, but I'll find out soon enough. It is a refreshing little game...kinda like Big Bang Mini was for the DS. YMMV, but it helps round out the smallish 360 shooter collection. Btw, I could not find a demo for it on the J-marketplace but there is a little Inside Xbox video.

Llyranor said:
It's even more money, yeah, but if you bought the J360 especially FOR the shmups, the arcade stick would probably be worth the investment.

Yeah, you're right - i'll have to get a 360 stick eventually, I was just looking for a cheaper option in the mean time. Isn't there some mod you can do to the stock 360 controller to improve the d-pad?

Yes Boss! said:
I'm having fun with that new G.rev game. It has beautiful graphics and presentation. Not sure what I'm doing, really, other than walking through the stages and shooting everything in site, but I'll find out soon enough. It is a refreshing little game...kinda like Big Bang Mini was for the DS. YMMV, but it helps round out the smallish 360 shooter collection. Btw, I could not find a demo for it on the J-marketplace but there is a little Inside Xbox video.

Thanks for the impressions, it certainly seems like quite a good and more diverse addition to the 360 shmup library. I found a link to a Superplay video on another forum, it seems pretty manic but as you say, it's graphics and presentation look great;

http://insomnia.ac/archive/games/naomi/m/mamoru-kun/beni702.wmv

Yes Boss! said:
Thanks for the detailed talk RB and adverse. Cruising the various forums it is very hard to get proper information because everybody seemingly has their agendas.

To be honest, money is not an issue.
I was actually suggesting you avoid the pricey ones for purely selfish reasons. I want the prices on those games to go down! Maybe if people don't buy them they'll drop! Then I can buy more Cave games! Ho ho ho!

Gave Mamoru-Kun another shot and yeah, it's fun. That initial load is really damn long, though. Tried the dual analog mode and I'd prefer it if I didn't have such a hard time dodging with the analog stick. Guess I'll have to get used to using my joystick for it.

Chiaroscuro said:
Just adding that you can buy Japanese MS points by e-mail as well. A few sellers on ebay do that (just search for MS points Japan) and other online stores do as well (just ask first).
Oh, that's neat.

I also think contest codes are region free. So if another one of those wonderful, exploitable MS points giveaways pops up you can plug the codes into your Japanese account.

Yes Boss!

Rummy Bunnz said:
I was actually suggesting you avoid the pricey ones for purely selfish reasons. I want the prices on those games to go down! Maybe if people don't buy them they'll drop! Then I can buy more Cave games! Ho ho ho!

Actually, Muchi Muchi Pork and EspGaluda II aren't that badly priced. I was under the impression they were $700-900 dollars but that is only if you are going for the complete set with all the items. I just want a used PCB, and Fujita has a Muchi for $600...a Galuda II for $500. I'm not picking something up till August, though, so they might be even cheaper by then if they are still available.

I'm holding out for $300 Galuda 2. It's gotta happen eventually!

Muchi's concept is wonderful so I figured it had to be the best game ever made but something I read about the gameplay made me wary. I don't remember what it was, though. Maybe boss milking?

(So I google "muchi pork milking" and the top hit is icycalm's plagiarized review. EOJ's original review is the second hit. That's a shame.)

And yeah it was milking. That's a big turnoff for me but I'd still love to play the game. Plumpers are so much better than lolis.

Yes Boss!

I actually haven't played any of my Cave PS2 games yet. Just waiting to get the cabinet, the PS2 all wired in properly, then I'll give them a month of play to help decide which PCB I want to pursue. I'm still strangely drawn to Pink Sweets for some odd reason.

Oh yeah, I don't find the loading on the G.rev/Gulti game isn't that bad. A little sluggish in the beginning and on the restart, but that is all. I'm just having fun going through all the levels with the different characters and then replaying the harder versions of the bosses. Haven't really settled on a particular character yet. But it is definitely already getting more play in my house than Otomedius and Shooting Love have. And I find the graphics really nice...far surpassing something like Triggerheart Exelica.

I'm holding out for $300 Galuda 2. It's gotta happen eventually!

Muchi's concept is wonderful so I figured it had to be the best game ever made but something I read about the gameplay made me wary. I don't remember what it was, though. Maybe boss milking?

(So I google "muchi pork milking" and the top hit is icycalm's plagiarized review. EOJ's original review is the second hit. That's a shame.)

Are we talking about Futari or original Mushi for Arcade/PS2? In Futari the boss milking is rather mild and doesn't require you to sit there for five minutes or whatever killing satellite enemies. It's rather intuitive and I think it adds to the game if anything. Mushi 1 I only played Original in so I can't really comment. There wasn't any significant boss milking in that mode to my recollection. But Maniac certainly had some really deep scoring, which I never grasped.

And yeah it was milking. That's a big turnoff for me but I'd still love to play the game. Plumpers are so much better than lolis.

Preach it brother. God I love fat girls.

Yes Boss! said:
I actually haven't played any of my Cave PS2 games yet. Just waiting to get the cabinet, the PS2 all wired in properly, then I'll give them a month of play to help decide which PCB I want to pursue. I'm still strangely drawn to Pink Sweets for some odd reason.

Oh yeah, I don't find the loading on the G.rev/Gulti game isn't that bad. A little sluggish in the beginning and on the restart, but that is all. I'm just having fun going through all the levels with the different characters and then replaying the harder versions of the bosses. Haven't really settled on a particular character yet. But it is definitely already getting more play in my house than Otomedius and Shooting Love have. And I find the graphics really nice...far surpassing something like Triggerheart Exelica.

Pink Sweets is a really odd choice man...have you seen gameplay videos? You're aware of the basic system? I encourage you to play a lot of Ibara, because if you don't like that you won't be into PS.

Yeah, Gulti fucked up by not giving us a quick restart in Mamoro-kun. Waiting a minute each time to start over gets tedious. I do agree that it is a much better game than most of the other 360 shooters and I think I'd put it right next to Raiden IV if I were to rank them all.

Also, picked this up yesterday. Justified because I'm pretty decent at Mushi Futari:

2009Feb17200546_2346.jpg

Ryn

I just started playing DonPachi, and keep getting wrecked on the 2nd half of the 3rd stage

Note: I haven't played many shooters :/

adversesolutions said:
Are we talking about Futari or original Mushi for Arcade/PS2? In Futari the boss milking is rather mild and doesn't require you to sit there for five minutes or whatever killing satellite enemies. It's rather intuitive and I think it adds to the game if anything. Mushi 1 I only played Original in so I can't really comment. There wasn't any significant boss milking in that mode to my recollection. But Maniac certainly had some really deep scoring, which I never grasped.
I was talking about Much Muchi Pork actually. I shoulda used the full name I guess!

Haven't played Futari but I'm excited about the 360 port. I quite liked Mushi 1, both original and maniac. Bugs are almost as good as fat girls.

danmaku

Yes Boss! said:

From what I saw (pics and videos), Pink Sweets has a fantastic presentation. Characters, ships, enemy and stage design, everything is totally crazy and funny. But it's a Yagawa game so I know what's in store, having played Ibara and Garegga: obscene ranking system, suicides, pick up medals for score and never miss one. The worst part is that if you don't like it you can't simply ignore everything and just play for survival: the rank goes up too fast anyway, even if you avoid all the medals. The game forces you to play it the way it's meant to be played: score high, get extra lives then suicide. Now, that's what I call hardcore.
Still, the amount of work put into these games is simply astounding. There are so many patterns, rank levels and possible strategies that balancing everything must've been a nightmare.

Good to hear. The video on XBLA shows very little of the real game and while Excelica is fun to play (I like the grappling mechanic), the graphics are awful. Probably the worst part of the game.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Those are some serious nipples.

x2.

That is way I can buy these stuff. I would like to have some figurines to include in my gaming set up, but my wife would never understand those...

weehomer

Espgaluda II most likely coming to the 360, too:

From hirounder at shmups.system11:

In a fiscal report Cave published today there's little bit on planned releases for so called consumer market, along Mushihimesama and Deathsmiles II they mention Espgaluda II aswell...no platform, but it's safe to guess it'll be Xbox360 again.

既存ヒット商品のコンシューマー市場への展開強化
過去の人気タイトルで商品化予定『虫姫さまふたり』、『エスプガルーダⅡ』、『デススマイルズⅡ』

bottom of page 23:
http://www.cave.co.jp/ir/archives/ir/pdf/2009/ir090713.pdf

My Japanese 360 arrived!

All I have so far is Death Smiles. Quick impressions:

I'm glad I downloaded the Mega Black Label because the game is actually really easy. I was able to not take a hit all the way through the first 5 or so levels. I quit after the midboss fight with the purple witch so I could play around with the options.

It really is something to see how amazing the upgraded graphics look, especially in comparison to the regular arcade assets. Goddamn. The game looks like a Sega Saturn 2 game, if that makes any sense. You can really appreciate the bizarre as shit clay models or whatever the fuck they use to render the enemies ( I never understood this technique, it's used in Camelot RPG's like Shining in the Darkness and Golden Sun too, like are they animated dolls/claymation?) It's so weird, but I love it.

Flurted with Mega Black Label and it just seemed like more bullets, altered colors. I think I'll head over to the Shmups forum to see what the changes are in further detail.

This is such a beyond arcade perfect port, I don't think I can get myself to buy DoDonPachi now that I am used to this insanely high quality. I think I'm just going to wait for Futari.

Yes Boss!

Sweet!

I'm actually pretty hot for Deathsmiles 2 as well...both titles mentioned is good news in my book.

Anything else upcoming besides the Cave stuff? I can only think of those two announced XBLA games (SNK Sky and that one other one).

Personally I was hoping for Muchi Muchi Pork, but Esp II should be good too. Given that DFK is pretty much a sure port as well, this means that all told, we will eventually have at least 6 CAVE titles on the 360. Good news.

Updated impressions (I know the games old, but some still don't have Japanese boxes).

I figured out why the game was so damn "easy". There's 3 levels to select from. Black Label has a fourth, "999". Ahhh, now this is more like it! This is the Cave I remember, bullet hizzizzell.

Still can't get over these Sega Saturn 2 graphics. It's like I'm playing a next gen Cave game, if that makes any sense. Oh wait I guess I am. Mind = blwon.

t3nmilez

Espgaluda 2 being announced is pretty cool. Definitely adds a lot of diversity to the lineup if nothing else. It looks like Cave wants to fill in the holes from their PS2 games, which is a good idea. Heh, probably no chance of seeing Pink Sweets ever mentioned, for better or for worse.

Jonnyram

Cave also mentioned they are developing an all-new title right below the three 360 ports, and they say they're making it for one type of machine, so it's not clear if it's a coin-op or a console game.

Jonnyram said:
Cave also mentioned they are developing an all-new title right below the three 360 ports, and they say they're making it for one type of machine, so it's not clear if it's a coin-op or a console game.

They mean coin-op.

Awesome, I spent a ton of time with ESPGaluda & ESP Ra.De so this is great news that only further validates my purchase.

Speaking of which, I got my JP 360 yesterday, although none of my games turned up yet - had to pay a freaking £45 import charge, knew I should've gone with EMS instead of thieving UPS. Anyways, I unpacked the console and went about plugging everything in - like a total tard, I plugged the JP power supply into the mains. :lol Luckily it wasn't connected to the 360, I would have hated myself if i'd managed to fry it minutes after recieving it. Anyways, after a fuse change, and after switching over to a UK power supply, everything worked fine - now I just need to wait for DeathSmiles, Ottomedius & Mamomoro-Kun to turn up :p

danmaku

That's great. Espgaluda and Mushihime-Sama are probably the two shmups I played the most, and both of their sequels are coming to the 360! :D

GMB

Banned
Yeah so I'm looking into maybe buying a candy cabinet of some kind soon if I got the money and space. Was looking at prices for the PCBs of these games, and damn. :lol

Dodonpachi is like $383.76 USD, Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu is like $2414.88 USD! Prices are from the site coinopexpress.com, but I remember seeing similar prices on some of caves stuff on ebay.

Got the chance to play death smiles on a machine recently, and holy shit did that game rock. I've always had some problems with horizontal shooters for some reason, but death smiles was so incredible awesome.

danmaku

Tonight I got my first 1 coin clear at Death Smiles! 126.554.619 points with Windia, no Extra Stage and a bucket of bombs to survive the last patterns of Tyrannosatan. At the end I realized I was totally out of breath! What a fight! :D

At first I was a bit skeptical about DS (I prefer vertical shooters), but I was wrong. This is one of Cave's finest games, and totally worth the money I spent on the J360. And still I got more to play! There's the canyon stage, that I almost never tried (it looked insanely difficult), my score is still low (about 500th position in world leaderboard), and there are the 1.1 and Mega Black Label modes waiting...

Victrix

*beard*
Anso said:
This thread needs more European releases and digital distribution. :'(

I don't think that's in the cards

The best possible outcome is that Cave's ports sell well on the 360 and get brought overseas

I guess you could buy a j360 and import them for now? :(

Anso

Victrix said:
I don't think that's in the cards

The best possible outcome is that Cave's ports sell well on the 360 and get brought overseas

I guess you could buy a j360 and import them for now? :(

Believe me, I've considered it. However I'd rather buy all those other games I really want..

A man can dream though.. a man can dream.

Hmm not very good at all.
Then again I hear the game wasn't exactly popular in the arcades. Something about rushing through most of the game just to have a bunch of time to milk some weird "popcorn" enemies for insane scores.

UFO might pick it up for a US relase though...which is of course strange but whatevs.

adversesolutions said:
Where'd you hear that? I'd be pretty shocked, but I guess I'd prefer more shooters to less in the states...

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=495579#p495579

http://www.robotpanic.com/?page_id=9
7/20 show.

Whoa whoa whoa now it's nothing concrete but there seems to be some interest brewing.

Anyway I'm doing my part by getting Illvello when it hits along with Raiden IV.

Yes Boss! said:
I finally got to play Gradius Gaiden (on PSP) and I'm thinking it might be my favorite shooter of all time. It is, like, perfect.

Yeah it's definitely my favorite of the traditional Gradius games.

Yes Boss!

Crap, saw the Mega Cave bump and got excited for some news. Still, one more shooter making it stateside is almost as good!

A little off topic, but I've been on a big Gradius kick over the last month, playing the series almost exclusively. I finally got to play Gradius Gaiden (on PSP) and I'm thinking it might be my favorite shooter of all time. It is, like, perfect.

Victrix

*beard*
Gaiden is an absolutely amazing game, and probably my favorite Gradius. It's the classic G style stage and gameplay setup, but with a ton of stuff in it, and some fantastic stages and music.

I kind of wish that style of game wasn't dead, manic shooters are awesome, but it'd be cool to play something more atmospheric.

edit: here, because I love you guys, I'll leave this up for a bit

http://www.evilgamer.dreamhosters.c...n/04 - Beyond the White Storm (Snowfield).mp3

If you want some CAVE news Yes Boss!, then:

Check out EOJ's update about Deathsmiles Mega Black Label ver. 1.1

http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=346.msg11260#new

Looks amazing. Especially the bigger pictures.

The Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu DVD will be coming out at the CAVE Matsuri this August. I had an early look at it and it is phenomenal. An absolute must buy even if you don't know the game that well.

Deathsmiles 2 is finally a real game with version 3.0 which added a lot to the system including proximity scoring items, tons more rings when you kill enemies, and a final (castle) level that looks like shit but is really fun to play through.

Yes Boss!

adversesolutions said:
The point items themselves look like imports of the rings from Deathsmiles 2. Could be when the character is powering up.

Is the MBL 1.1 for 360? As in a title update or new DLC? And is Futari still on tap for the end of the year?

Yes Boss!

adversesolutions said:
Yes, new DLC, and Yes. And Futari will be at MS booth at TGS so I'm gonna go check it out.

Nice! The 360 shooter line-up is looking a bit anemic for the rest of the year. I can only think of those two XBLA games (SNK Sky shooter and one other one I forgot the name of), but if Futari makes it than that will be plenty.

Kai Ozu

I need to ask, where can I get the soundtracks for Do Don Pachi Daioujou and deathsmiles, I am now a cave whore. These games blow my fucking face off every time I play them.

Top Bottom