• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Gigawing 1 is pretty decent but I think I just favor that game because I nearly 1CCed it once.
Gigawing 2 on the other hand felt really....ehhhh...I dunno. Just left a bad taste in my mouth or something.

The Gigawing dudes(Takumi) also developed Mars Matrix which is IMO their best work and is definitely worth getting a hold of. It's a one-button(though thankfully the DC port allows you to map multiple buttons) shooter with metric fucktons of bullets that you catch and release to get medals, combo medals, get loads of medals, and lots and lots of assloads of medals. It's tough certainly but I enjoy the fact that the bossfights can go very quickly and the game is certainly do-able up until the final stage(yikes).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bebpo was telling me Deathsmiles recent port was decent as it was done by Cave themselves.

That's good to hear. Xtra Black Labels port by 5pb was total shite. The game itself is fine, but my god the load times to get into the game are unbearable.

Unfortunately, I thought Deathsmiles kinda sucked, so I'll be skipping that regardless.

fatty said:
(sorry I still hate typing Shmup)
Oh man, don't be sorry. I hate the term 'shmup' too. They'll always be shooters to me.

Yes Boss! said:
So,

Going by wikipedia is it safe to say I should probably seek out Giga Wing, Giga Wing 2 for the Dreamcast and Giga Wing Generations for the PS2? I usually try to buy one classic shooter each month that something doesn't arrive on the 360. Sometimes I get lucky for cheap on VC with things like M.U.S.H.A., Gleylancer, Cho Aniki and other times I'm willing to throw down a little bit of money if necessary.
Oh God never buy Giga Wing Generations. It's a truly terrible port. Runs at like half the framerate of the arcade version. It's a total mess.

I didn't like GW1 or 2 when I first played them but I kinda warmed up to them over time. Not great and I wouldn't pay a premium for them, but OK. The biggest strike against them is the insanely high scores. I think it goes into the trillions? It sure seems like it!

Gunbird 2 and Mars Matrix are probably the best domestic DC shooters. Gunbird has the absolute best endings in video game history, yet I couldn't find them on youtube last time I checked. Unbelievable! I should record and up them myself.

FUCK YES

fat.png

I've never seen the uncensored Aine endings. They're even creepier in the U.S. Dreamcast version, since they just cut to a black screen with text like "Oooh...nothing beats being a samurai boy."

I usually prefer stills to video but I do think the Psikyo music adds quite a bit. I don't remember what it sounded like exactly...but I can imagine what it must have been! And it made it all more fun.

GB1's got some winners too. http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/arcade/b/gbtet.htm

I miss Psikyo. :( I prefer homo to loli.

What's crazy is that I was thinking about making a thread to ask about shmups. Then this shows up. Good enough. I'm no shooter aficionado, but some of these games are really cool

I've been playing Ketsui Death Label (the DS game) for a little while now. Are there other good portable shmups comparable to Ketsui? A friend of mine let me play some homebrew Tohou game on the DS, but it looked unfinished. That's the only other one I know of.

viewtiful_dru said:
I've been playing Ketsui Death Label (the DS game) for a little while now. Are there other good portable shmups comparable to Ketsui? A friend of mine let me play some homebrew Tohou game on the DS, but it looked unfinished. That's the only other one I know of.

Aside from emulation, no. And even then, why bother? STGs aren't meant for handhelds.

Bebpo

Banned
clockradiospeakers said:
Aside from emulation, no. And even then, why bother? STGs aren't meant for handhelds.

Wait, why not? I can't think of a single reason why you couldn't get high scores on a handheld. All you do is look at the bullets and make precise movements to dodge them. Ketsui DS shows you can do that on a handheld.

Yes Boss!

clockradiospeakers said:

Short-sided!

I'd personally recommend Nanostray 2 which can be picked up for a song. Not Japanese but an inspired game, nonetheless.

Also, PSN Hong Kong and Japan store are rife with shooters that can be placed on your PSP memory stick. I always keep a half dozen on my PSP for instant gratification. Everything from Cotton to Einhander and R-Type Delta are available as legal solutions for usually about $5.

Bebpo said:
Wait, why not? I can't think of a single reason why you couldn't get high scores on a handheld. All you do is look at the bullets and make precise movements to dodge them. Ketsui DS shows you can do that on a handheld.

Your ability to 'look at the bullets' is limited by the small screen (or bullet patterns will be simplified to accommodate it) and your ability to 'make precise movements' is limited by the D-Pad. If anything, Ketsui DS supports my point.

Slurmer

Banned
2 years late, but thanks for this great thread!

I'm thinking about getting a kit/PC board and getting (or making my own) cabinet. Just need to get some spare cash and time.

Cmagus

man I wish these guys would just bring their games over here so many people want them hell I don't care if they remove voice acting just translate the game and get them over here.Sadly this will probably never happen hence Im gonna have to import some systems.

Yes Boss! said:
Short-sided!

I'd personally recommend Nanostray 2 which can be picked up for a song. Not Japanese but an inspired game, nonetheless.

Also, PSN Hong Kong and Japan store are rife with shooters that can be placed on your PSP memory stick. I always keep a half dozen on my PSP for instant gratification. Everything from Cotton to Einhander and R-Type Delta are available as legal solutions for usually about $5.

I second Nanostray 2. It's not the best shmup, but you can get it for cheap and play it on the go so why not?

About the PSN thing - I've got an unmodded US PSP and no PS3. Can I buy stuff from the JPN store? I'd love to pick Einhander up.

[Edit] - Man, Ketsui DS shot up in price. Not many on eBay and they're going for $120ish. Why do I never learn...?

Yes Boss!

Downloading now...1200 points and half a gig. Didin't realize it was up. There is also a 250 point theme and if anybody wants to see it I can take a photo. Kinda lame theme but I've resolved to support Cave and their effort to release their games on 360 fully, so I purchased it.

Yes Boss!

Here is an image of the theme. All other menu items have the high-res image of the girls against the brick wall. A bit cheap and asset re-usy but, whatever.

P1000878.jpg

Wehrwolf

Haven't played Mamoru-kun myself, but Grev has lots of videos of the arcade game up on their site:

Mamoru-Kun download page

Mamoru-Kun main page

Yes, all of the links are active, click on any of the 'high' or 'low' buttons on the download page for videos of each stage.

Some stages are forced scrolling (normal 'shooter' style) and some have you running around, scrolling the direction you move.

Yes Boss!

Okay,

I think I'm shit-out-of-luck here. I was so excited to see MBL up I accidentally downloaded it to my American 360 harddrive via my Japanese Gamertag that was on Memory Unit in that system. I've since re-downloaded it from on my Japanese system but It won't let me use my American gamertag on that system to access the content...in other words I can only play MBL logged in as my Japanese gamertag. Is there any work around for this? Or am I just gonna have to swallow the $20 and re-download it from my Japanese console with a new Japanese gamertag?

Does that make sense?

danmaku

shintoki said:
Huzzah, Just got my Death Smiles today...Too bad all I do is get to stare at it :lol But I'm excited as all hell anyways. This is my first Japanese import Cave Game ^_^

Side note, It came with a XBL card with a Code on the back. What is it for? :lol

My copy of DS arrived yesterday, but it didn't have any code card. Is this only for the limited edition?

Mandoric

Banned
danmaku said:
My copy of DS arrived yesterday, but it didn't have any code card. Is this only for the limited edition?

It was the preorder bonus, which most exporters are pretty bad about fully covering (otoh, preorders closed for even the normal edition notably before release on most Japanese webshops, so...)

What do you get in the preorder bonus?
Also what's the difference in Mega Black Label? I've just bought some Japan points for it in any case.

Yes Boss!

memecomplex said:
What do you get in the preorder bonus?

Audio-track for the interstitial cahracter scenes. Not really anything special...I did not even use mine. I don't think it is up on the marketplace for purchase either.

CHR_AeON

Yes Boss! said:
Okay,

I think I'm shit-out-of-luck here. I was so excited to see MBL up I accidentally downloaded it to my American 360 harddrive via my Japanese Gamertag that was on Memory Unit in that system. I've since re-downloaded it from on my Japanese system but It won't let me use my American gamertag on that system to access the content...in other words I can only play MBL logged in as my Japanese gamertag. Is there any work around for this? Or am I just gonna have to swallow the $20 and re-download it from my Japanese console with a new Japanese gamertag?

Does that make sense?

If you have 2 pads, login to XBL on pad 2 with your japanese account, on pad 1 with your american account. If both accounts are online at the same time, you should be able to use the add-on with your american acc., as well. At least it works this way with XBLA games...

Yes Boss!

CHR_AeON said:
If you have 2 pads, login to XBL on pad 2 with your japanese account, on pad 1 with your american account. If both accounts are online at the same time, you should be able to use the add-on with your american acc., as well. At least it works this way with XBLA games...

OK, thanks! That seemed to work. Still, it is gonna be frustrating to always log in with two gamertags every time I wanna play. I've gone ahead and ordered another 3500 card from NCS since there will likely be more DLC for Mushi Futari or the other shooters upcoming. Guess, I'm supporting Cave more than I anticipated, to put a positive spin on it.

The other option I thought about was having the MBL DLC on my MU...but it is too big for that.

Thanks for the replies, Danmaku and Yes Boss!
It probably doesn't make sense to download MBL right off the bat, but I'm going to support CAVE anyway, even got the gamerpics (nasty)!

Yes Boss!

memecomplex said:
Thanks for the replies, Danmaku and Yes Boss!
It probably doesn't make sense to download MBL right off the bat, but I'm going to support CAVE anyway, even got the gamerpics (nasty)!

Yeah, got the gamerpics as well! The only other gamerpics I've ever bought was a cute little SNK Terry that I've always had as my pic.

Did get to play some MBL and though I don't know much about how the game works there is enough content to justify the price. New character is cute and fun and the 999 level is BRUTAL. Plus that tough new Ice Palace level and Boss.

Yes Boss!

Hmm,

Chiaroscuro (temp banned) sent me a message online about transferring DLC license from one System to another via PC. I'll have to learn about that before rebuying the content.

Btw, thanks Chiaroscuro...hopefully you'll be back soon!

Yes Boss! said:
Here is an image of the theme. All other menu items have the high-res image of the girls against the brick wall. A bit cheap and asset re-usy but, whatever.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/P1000878.jpg
Awwwesome I am loli'ing it up! And I get Casper! She is my favorite because she looks like trouble. I am sorry to hear about your MBL woes. I almost did the same thing myself!

I dunno how I feel about MBL yet. 999 is really, really hard. So hard I quit during the first stage. I can't remember if there are any changes to the game at the lower ranks aside from the ice level so I didn't really bother with them. Didn't really like playing as Sakura cuz her options are goofy. No replays or training for MBL which is really disappointing but hey, at least it's not an unlock key. I'll give it another shot soon after reading up on it.

Yes Boss!

Success! Transferred my MBL to my new console. I'd like to thank Chiaroscuro again! I've heard Major Nelson and E constantly talk about the license transfer step but I never thought about it in terms of different regional consoles.

Now, I've still got $55 worth of points idle on my J-360. I use that much every month on my American console but that will probably last me a year for the Japanese one since there is little exclusive content there.

akakaze

Banned
CHR_AeON said:

This didn't work for me, so I'm probably doing it wrong.

I had US account logged in first -> Controller 1

Then I logged in JP account (which the DLC is linked to) -> Controller 2

Started up Deathsmiles via Controller 1.

Now, depending on which controller I hit start on, different stuff will happen.
If I press start on Controller 1 (US account), no DLC check will take place. On the version select screen, picking MBL takes me to XBLM even though the second player is logged into the JP account.

If I press start on Controller 2, a DLC check will take place and the save file will be found on the HDD. I can select MBL from the version select screen.

Once at the version select screen, only the controller that pressed START will be able to start the game. I can still do co-op and have the US account join as second player, but the achievements are still locked for that account and I have to kill off the "dummy" first player before I can enjoy MBL by myself.

This is the first and last DLC I'm grabbing from JP XBLM unless it's free.

Yes Boss!

akakaze said:

That would be a shame.

Japanese DLC works perfectly fine so long as you buy and download the stuff with your dummy Japanese Profile to the Japanese system. Then all other Profiles on that system (on American or otherwise, on MU or harddrive) can freely access the content.

Personally, I keep my American Profile on my MU and leave my dummy Japanese Profile on the harddrive to avoid confusion but somehow I made the mistake of putting my dummy Japanese Profile on my MU so when I saw it I accidentally thought I was on my Japanese system and downloaded to the wrong system.

If you are having trouble try the License transfer at the Xbox site...worked perfectly for me.

akakaze

Banned
That's really strange then, because the content was downloaded with a Japanese profile on the Japanese system, and yet I'm still having the problem I described above. I might have done something in the wrong order...really don't know at this point.

When you say "access the content" does that include achievements as well (if the workaround is done properly?) I wouldn't think so, but figured it can't hurt to ask...

You're saying that you can hit Start on a controller linked to a US profile on the DeathSmiles title screen and play MBL as long as the JP account is logged in as the second player?

Yes Boss!

akakaze said:
You're saying that you can hit Start on a controller linked to a US profile on the DeathSmiles title screen and play MBL as long as the JP account is logged in as the second player?

Yeah, as long as the Profile that downloaded the content is on the system, on an MU or harddrive (doesn't need to be logged in) any other gamertag can use that content freely. MBL loads fine if you are signed in with your proper gamertag, and achievements work.

Best thing to do is to check your licenses at the Xbox site. You do this by logging in on the PC/Mac website and navigate to the license transfer page...it will list your licenses associated with each console and that gamertag.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Oh man, don't be sorry. I hate the term 'shmup' too. They'll always be shooters to me.

Oh god finally some people who feel the same way! I honestly never even heard the term until very recently when it seemed the industry got a hard on for it. I just call them shoot'em ups or shooters.

Yes Boss!

myDingling said:
Oh god finally some people who feel the same way! I honestly never even heard the term until very recently when it seemed the industry got a hard on for it. I just call them shoot'em ups or shooters.

It is not the industry. The proper and classic "shooter" term was co-opted by the FPS crowd (who, came from the shooter-less PC arena). By that time, shooters were already becoming increasingly niche and difficult and catering to the periphery.

akakaze

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
Yeah, as long as the Profile that downloaded the content is on the system, on an MU or harddrive (doesn't need to be logged in) any other gamertag can use that content freely. MBL loads fine if you are signed in with your proper gamertag, and achievements work.

Best thing to do is to check your licenses at the Xbox site. You do this by logging in on the PC/Mac website and navigate to the license transfer page...it will list your licenses associated with each console and that gamertag.

Wow. I must have screwed up somewhere, but I have no idea how. I'll try deleting and re-downloading the content. I don't think it's a license problem since I originally downloaded it to the JP 360 in the first place. If anything I'm guessing it's a save issue, since I have save files on a MU (associated with the US account) and HDD (JP account). I'll delete the JP save as well.

akakaze said:
This didn't work for me, so I'm probably doing it wrong.

I had US account logged in first -> Controller 1

Then I logged in JP account (which the DLC is linked to) -> Controller 2

Started up Deathsmiles via Controller 1.

Now, depending on which controller I hit start on, different stuff will happen.
If I press start on Controller 1 (US account), no DLC check will take place. On the version select screen, picking MBL takes me to XBLM even though the second player is logged into the JP account.

If I press start on Controller 2, a DLC check will take place and the save file will be found on the HDD. I can select MBL from the version select screen.

Once at the version select screen, only the controller that pressed START will be able to start the game. I can still do co-op and have the US account join as second player, but the achievements are still locked for that account and I have to kill off the "dummy" first player before I can enjoy MBL by myself.

Do you have your save game and the DLC saved to the same place? I initially had the DLC on my HD and my save on the internal memory. Every time I went to play MBL I'd get the Marketplace pop up. Moving the game save back to the HD fixed it for me.

Edit: Oh hey, that is your problem! Yeah, moving the save should fix it.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Yes Boss! said:
It is not the industry. The proper and classic "shooter" term was co-opted by the FPS crowd (who, came from the shooter-less PC arena). By that time, shooters were already becoming increasingly niche and difficult and catering to the periphery.
The term has been around since the C64 days, I've heard. Apparently from the magazine Zzap!64.

I prefer to call them pewpewpew games, personally.

Yes Boss!

Princess Skittles said:
The term has been around since the C64 days, I've heard. Apparently from the magazine Zzap!64.

Yeah, a shooter is always a shooter to me. I was just saying the FPS crowd obliviously re-appropriated the term in the mid-nineties. We are stuck with shmup for good or ill.

akakaze

Banned
Rummy Bunnz said:
Do you have your save game and the DLC saved to the same place? I initially had the DLC on my HD and my save on the internal memory. Every time I went to play MBL I'd get the Marketplace pop up. Moving the game save back to the HD fixed it for me.

Edit: Oh hey, that is your problem! Yeah, moving the save should fix it.

Yep, that's exactly what it was. Works like a charm now. I've been whoring the MBL achievements all afternoon :lol Thank you so much, guys!

methos75

Banned
Man I wish Death Smiles and the others would see a PS3 release so I could import them, sucks only the XB3670 are getting them and their region locked.

methos75 said:
Man I wish Death Smiles and the others would see a PS3 release so I could import them, sucks only the XB3670 are getting them and their region locked.
Arika intended on working on a PS3 Ketsui port but Sony shot them down. Shame.

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
Arika intended on working on a PS3 Ketsui port but Sony shot them down. Shame.

_dementia,

Got myself a Mars Matrix. I followed your advice and went with used for much cheaper but looks to be in great shape by the description. Should have it in a week! Now to buy a Dreamcast.

Top Bottom