• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Yes Boss!

On DDP once you get past the loading and pick the game type it is pretty much instant from there. It is just when you change modes and check the achievements when things take awhile. I usually play for thirty to sixty minutes in one mode and it runs fantastically.

Rummy Bunnz,

Pick up Raiden IV! A little pricey (especially compared to the $20 RFA) but it is a class game all the way...badass OST too. I also recommend Shooting Love 200X. Great little package and the shmups skill test makes it well worth it. You might as well finish off the shooter collection since you've paid for the 360, right?

Oh yeah, if you got an Arcade unit, try to get a cheapy 20GB harddrive and install the games to help preserve its life...they also play whisper quiet and generally take up only 3.4GB per game.

There is also that other Naomi game coming in June in two flavors. I don't know a thing about it but I put a preorder in for the Limited Edition for shits and giggles.

Anybody know an ETA for Mega Black Label DLC? Achievements are already up. I reckon the attach rate for the DLC will be one of the highest for a 360 game.

Bebpo

Banned
t3nmilez said:
I get the feeling you didn't play the game very long. As you progress through the arcade mode, you get more difficulty levels to choose from on the level select screen. Putting it on Expert should give you plenty of challenge. Also, your comment about the laser is odd...are you sure you're hitting the normal fire button and not the rapid-fire button?

I wouldn't say that Otomedius is in the top-tier of shooters, but I really had a lot of fun with it. It's more casual, you can just chill out and blast stuff, or you can ramp up the difficulty and challenge yourself. Really though, all the fun happens when you start unlocking weapon cards and customizing your favorite ship to be completely destructive! Usually when I see complaints, it's from people that played a couple of rounds, didn't bother unlocking weapons, and didn't really understand how to play the game. Spend some more time with it!

Anyway, I've been playing the DS port on and off, good port but I played the arcade version a lot and I find the game really easy now. I'll wait for MBL to come out before I play it seriously.

I also think a legitimate counter-argument is that shmups shouldn't require someone to play for long amounts of time and unlock stuff to make the game "good". Shmups are the definition of pick up and play genre where you should be able to sit down and play for 3 mins and feel completely satisfied if it's a good shmup. Otomedius's focus on unlockables and not on making the core gameplay experience great off the bat was a bad design decision imo. I don't want to keep playing a game that isn't very fun or exciting because of the potential that it may improve hours later.

pswii60

Bebpo said:
I also think a legitimate counter-argument is that shmups shouldn't require someone to play for long amounts of time and unlock stuff to make the game "good". Shmups are the definition of pick up and play genre where you should be able to sit down and play for 3 mins and feel completely satisfied if it's a good shmup. Otomedius's focus on unlockables and not on making the core gameplay experience great off the bat was a bad design decision imo. I don't want to keep playing a game that isn't very fun or exciting because of the potential that it may improve hours later.
I'm in the opposite camp. I do want to keep playing a game for exactly that. If everything is available at the start and there is nothing to unlock, what exactly am I aiming for? I like games to hold back as much as possible, so there's a real sense of achievement and discovery as you play.

This is why, for example, I'm not so keen on racing games that give you all the tracks from the start. I like the old-school method of having just two or three tracks to choose from at the start and then unlock more as I work my way through the game - that alone will hook me in to the game. Of course, Nintendo is particularly good at this way of thinking.

Yes Boss!

pswii60 said:
I'm in the opposite camp. I do want to keep playing a game for exactly that. If everything is available at the start and there is nothing to unlock, what exactly am I aiming for? I like games to hold back as much as possible, so there's a real sense of achievement and discovery as you play.

Agreed! I'm particularly fond of unlockables/modes/credits tied to hours logged. And, I'm no achievement whore but the 24 and 99-hour achievements on RFA are awesome. Still got 70 hours left on my 99:lol

t3nmilez

I can only imagine how sad some people were when the patches came out and reset the leaderboards and time played (at least I think it reset time). Heh, getting in the 90-hour mark only to have to start all over again!

Wow the Raiden IV soundtrack is total video game music. I will have to get it. It's so odd being able to watch videos of these games so easily. Things have changed since the old days!

Yes Boss! said:
Oh yeah, if you got an Arcade unit, try to get a cheapy 20GB harddrive and install the games to help preserve its life...they also play whisper quiet and generally take up only 3.4GB per game.
Yeah, I got an Arcade. Thought about not using a HD but I think the DS MBL DLC (ACRONYMZ) is like 500MB so I'm swapping my 120GB between both 360s. I sure wish Netflix and game installs weren't tied to the console. I wouldn't need to swap as much then!

There is also that other Naomi game coming in June in two flavors. I don't know a thing about it but I put a preorder in for the Limited Edition for shits and giggles.
Ohh shit. The G.Rev one? I forgot about that. This purchase is seeming less and less silly! Especially after seeing last week's Death Smiles sales numbers. 20,000! That's really hot. C'monnn more ports.

RyanDG

Rummy Bunnz said:
I keep seeing people sayin' Raiden IV's comin' and I believe everything people say so I think it might come here! But now I almost hope it doesn't. I need to justify this stupid purchase I just made!

I never even bothered trying Raiden 3 since I haven't seen any positive impressions of it.

I love Raiden III. But I'm a Raiden fanboy of the worst kind. It's not a game that offers much depth or uniqueness. It also suffers from the obligatory slow ship syndrom with a huge hitbox, but dammit, it's Raiden. Screw the haters. With that said, Raiden IV is a decided improvement over Raiden III but your mileage with the game is going to be dependent entirely how you feel about the franchise. Is it worth the import? For me it was. But this is coming from someone who owns the arcade PCB of every major Raiden release and secretly dreams of pink toothpaste lasers in my sleep.

RyanDG

Yes Boss! said:
Anybody know an ETA for Mega Black Label DLC? Achievements are already up. I reckon the attach rate for the DLC will be one of the highest for a 360 game.

All I've heard is summer. But I think you are probably right about the attach rate...

Bebpo

Banned
The port is really well done. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the best port Cave has had since they did it themselves this time (no slight to the crazy programmer at Arika who did amazing jobs on the PS2 games). The redrawn graphics for the X360 mode look REALLY good and not offensive like the usual upscales and filters. 1.1 mode is great as well.

Arpharmd B said:
My Deathsmiles shipped on the 24th. Still not here yet.

Anyone else still waiting?
Mine shipped on the 22nd and it's not here yet. :(

Summer for the Death Smiles DLC is kinda disappointing! I guess that makes it less of a ripoff maybe? But watching videos of BL got me all excited. I was looking forward to blowing my points right away.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Huzzah, Just got my Death Smiles today...Too bad all I do is get to stare at it :lol But I'm excited as all hell anyways. This is my first Japanese import Cave Game ^_^

Side note, It came with a XBL card with a Code on the back. What is it for? :lol

Yes Boss!

shintoki said:
Huzzah, Just got my Death Smiles today...Too bad all I do is get to stare at it :lol But I'm excited as all hell anyways. This is my first Japanese import Cave Game ^_^

Side note, It came with a XBL card with a Code on the back. What is it for? :lol

Download code for the Voice Track. Strange they just did not include it on the disc.

Summer for MBL? That is too far away! Gotta be sooner since the achievements are already listed.

ghibli99

Bebpo said:
The port is really well done. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the best port Cave has had since they did it themselves this time (no slight to the crazy programmer at Arika who did amazing jobs on the PS2 games). The redrawn graphics for the X360 mode look REALLY good and not offensive like the usual upscales and filters. 1.1 mode is great as well.
This is really good to hear -- thanks!

RyanDG

Yes Boss! said:
Summer for MBL? That is too far away! Gotta be sooner since the achievements are already listed.

Late May's summer, right? :)

I'm trying to remember where I read a summer release for it, but I'm not coming up with a link. If I can find it again I'll post it.

Yes Boss!

Summer is a good timeline for MBL. It will help refresh the game in a few months and help bridge the gap to Mushi Futari.

Damn, I gotta play a bit of Death Smiles before leaving for school earlier and the port is awesome. Super, super slick with awesome options and little loading. Can't wait for future product produced in-house by Cave. With great sales of Death Smiles, seems like we will have a lot to look forward to...unless,perhaps, that was a special case because of the little-girl theme (?).

Question: Is there a dedicated new-release shmup/shooter thread on GAF, one just for shooters and NOT including the ever-present twin-stick types? Can't seem to find one in search. If not, with all the recent/new/forthcoming releases I think it is time to perhaps create a new one.

Yes Boss! said:
With great sales of Death Smiles, seems like we will have a lot to look forward to...unless,perhaps, that was a special case because of the little-girl theme (?)
They all kinda have little girl themes nowadays. :(

Yes Boss!

Rummy Bunnz said:
They all kinda have little girl themes nowadays. :(

Oh, I've got no problem with little girls!

Just wondering if the Death Smiles sales were a special case because of the "appealing" theme (and, at first blush, the game seems a bit easier and more accessible than other Cave shooters).

Rummy Bunnz said:
Mine shipped on the 22nd and it's not here yet. :(

Summer for the Death Smiles DLC is kinda disappointing! I guess that makes it less of a ripoff maybe? But watching videos of BL got me all excited. I was looking forward to blowing my points right away.

Good to hear. I was starting to get worried.

RyanDG

Yes Boss! said:
Question: Is there a dedicated new-release shmup/shooter thread on GAF, one just for shooters and NOT including the ever-present twin-stick types? Can't seem to find one in search. If not, with all the recent/new/forthcoming releases I think it is time to perhaps create a new one.

I do think it would be nice to have one... Especially since with Raiden Fighters Aces coming out I want to show off my scores again (and my ultra-cool Raiden set up that spans 3 stand up cabinets). ;)

Bebpo

Banned
I remember when people were saying Death Smiles was too easy.

For me it's my hardest Cave game. The last level, the optional level, and the Canyon B level are impossible for me without continuing every 20 seconds. I can't play shmups where you have to dodge obstacles, be that enemies or environments. It's too much work for me to follow all the bullets while moving around to dodge other stuff as well. This is why I am terrible at Gradius and don't like Ikaruga as well.

I do pretty ok on vertical shmups where the only thing to dodge is BRIGHT colored bullets. That way I don't look at the screen and I just look at my ship's hitbox and I navigate back and forth between the bullets while holding down the shot button. This why my favorite shmup is DDP DOJ followed by Raiden Fighters.

I still really dig Death Smiles and I love how you can just choose the ranks before a stage. This way the stage 1 that is usually boring in every shmup after the first few times is now still fun at rank 3 and as you improve you can slowly up the ranks to all the starting levels to keep them exciting and score more points.

Speaking of points, I thought I understood the scoring system but I guess I don't. I watched replays of the highest scoring player in both original and 1.1 and thought I figured it out but I didn't. So the best way to score the highest is....:

Original mode - Do nothing special, just kill enemies and collect skulls until you hit 1000. Don't use power-up and every enemy kill will net you giant pumpkins. The end?

1.1 mode - I have no idea. I thought it was just about erasing bullets with your familiar with the right stick and getting awesome points, but when I erase bullets it's just the normal lvl.1 scoring skulls. I dunno how to get crazy super slowdown lvl.3 skulls everywhere like the replay guy.

Anyone know how the scoring works?

Bebpo

Banned
Hmmm...I wonder if the final stage still has 3 ranks and one is chosen based on the ranks you took in the other stages?

Because I just did a version of the last stage that was waaaaay easier than when I did an all rank 3 run. I was doing rank 2 on the stages this time around. The final stage was not overkill at all until the final final boss who is totally ridiculous and costs me like 5+ continues easy. He's going to keep me from ever doing a 1CC run.

Yes Boss!

Bebpo said:
Hmmm...I wonder if the final stage still has 3 ranks and one is chosen based on the ranks you took in the other stages?

Because I just did a version of the last stage that was waaaaay easier than when I did an all rank 3 run. I was doing rank 2 on the stages this time around. The final stage was not overkill at all until the final final boss who is totally ridiculous and costs me like 5+ continues easy. He's going to keep me from ever doing a 1CC run.

I did a one-rank all the way up to the final level without continuing and found it a bit too easy...made it to the boss then died. I've since gone back and I'm picking rank 3 to make it a bit more challenging.

The optional level is brutal though. I'd like to know a bit more about the game but there is precious little info on the web. I'm not even sure how the lock-on works and I've just been doing three buttons...left, right and bomb.

Also, how do the skulls and the glowing-yellow 1000 work? Seems as soon as I activate it there is no way to stop it till it runs to zero.

The replays of leaderboards is slick a hell...tons of fun be able to download how others play it.

Also, I'm doing 360 mode exclusively with the girl in the white dress and owl. Seems like the top-scorers prefer the girl with glasses and dragon.

Finally, I've gotta keep pinching myself that I'm actually playing something like this at home at a reasonable cost on a massive 50" screen...kinda like with Street Fighter IV. This year the promise of the PS360 seems to finally be paying off, for me at least.

Bebpo

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
Also, how do the skulls and the glowing-yellow 1000 work? Seems as soon as I activate it there is no way to stop it till it runs to zero.

In arcade mode as you get the skulls your meter builds up to 1000. Once you hit 1000 you start getting crowns instead of skulls when you kill enemies which gives you more points. But if you activate power up by hitting both shot buttons at the same time it starts draining and keeps doing so until you hit 0.

Also using the lock-on attack (X button) drains your meter, as does getting hit, or using a bomb.

Bebpo

Banned
Actually I take that back. You don't lose your meter if you use bombs in arcade mode, so unless you are going for the no bomb achievement, bomb as much as you can since you get 3 bombs per bar.

But in 1.1 you lose meter for using your one bomb. In 1.1 you can also activate power up before you have 1000, but you don't get the momentary invincibility that you get when you do it at 1000. You can also control the helper with the right stick in 1.1 to have him absorb all the cross looking bullets and turn them into skulls.

Bebpo

Banned
Good game Rummy! That final boss is sooooo annoying once he loses half his body. Getting up there to hit him without actually touching him and taking damage while also dodging all the bullets is blehhhh. I end up just bombing all the time since I get hit so much on him anyhow.

I like how the game has more slowdown in 2p. It makes it easier to dodge through bullets. That's actually one of my small complaints about Deathsmiles. Not enough slowdown :p I really need my slowdown in Cave games to get through bullet fields.

Yeah it was fun! I was impressed by how well the game played online. I never would have expected it to be so smooth.

I'd only played rank 1 prior to co-op'ing. I actually really liked having an easy Cave game for once! It felt refreshing, though that may be because I haven't played a new Cave game in forever and have barely been able to play a shooter properly in the last year or two. It was nice playing ignorantly for a bit instead of worrying about all the scoring systems from the start. Maybe I won't be as crazy about the game once I learn more about it but right now I really love it, and I am usually not big on horizontal shooters with enemies that come from both directions.

The achievements are hilarious. Press start! Pause the game! Continue! And Continue 50 times!

I am confused by the leaderboards. I don't see myself on there? Or any of my friends? Do I have to play score attack to get listed? I did that but still don't see myself or any of you guys. I was surprised you could download replays. And fast forward them! Whatta great port.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm guessing you have to play score attack to get on the leaderboards. I haven't tried that yet, just been playing the main modes.

Might just take some time to update the boards if you don't see yourself there. I remember some game I played didn't update the leaderboards until hours later.

I just googled that leaderboard question and the second hit is one of my posts from earlier in the thread. That's the second time that's happened to me in as many days! Before it was related to the Dark Spire. Creepin' me out!

This matching enemy type to shot type for bigger scores thing seems like it may be annoying: http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=281.0

I will probably never memorize that list! Also I thought the giant crowns were pumpkins. I'm disappointed they're not!

manzo

Bebpo said:
I'm guessing you have to play score attack to get on the leaderboards. I haven't tried that yet, just been playing the main modes.

Might just take some time to update the boards if you don't see yourself there. I remember some game I played didn't update the leaderboards until hours later.

I'm still embarrassed that I haven't even beaten the 10 million default high score! :lol

I can easily get to Tyrannosatan with one credit on level 2, but same as Bebpo, add 3-5 continues after that! :D

Bebpo

Banned
Isn't the default score 1 million? My highest is still only about 3 million since I can only get maybe 3-4 stages right now on rank 2 before dying. Going to try to work on getting to the final boss on 1cc.

So I think there's three versions of the final stage:

-Do the stages but not rank 3 -> Normal final stage
-Do the stages in rank 3 OR go through the canyon (but not both) -> Death mode final stage
-Do the stages in rank 3 AND go through the canyon -> Death mode II final stage

Not sure if they affect the final boss because he's hard either way, but it makes the final level go from "can do without a continue" to "omgwtfbbq continue every minute".

Victrix

*beard*
Arpharmd B said:
My Deathsmiles shipped on the 24th. Still not here yet.

Anyone else still waiting?

Yep :( Was going to head over to a friends this weekend to vegetate on it, but it still hasn't arrived.

OK, figured out the deal with the leaderboards! Had to switch the filter to EX Off. Ex = canyon stage, so if you take that route you end up on a different board. That's nice.

I hit 15mil yesterday. It was really simple. Just racked up 1,000 crowns on stage 1, then went to the volcano and blew everything up. It was beautiful. I think I was on rank 2. I've mostly been playing on rank 1, cuz I'd like to 1CC the game e-z style before worrying about score.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the 'reach a boss without shooting' achievement and it just isn't happening. I'm no good at dodging all the enemies!

Victrix said:
Yep :( Was going to head over to a friends this weekend to vegetate on it, but it still hasn't arrived.

So I guess the plane carrying our copies of Death Smiles went down? I've never had to wait this long from Play-Asia.

Yes Boss!

Apologize for asking this in the Cave thread but there is no shooter thread...would paying $85 for a sealed Mars Matrix North America be too much? There has been one up on eBay for the last two months and I really want it new but no others seem to pop up. Used seems to be going for $40-50 in decent quality. I'm trying to make my mind up between this or Demon's Souls as my May "special" purchase.

Yes Boss! said:
Apologize for asking this in the Cave thread but there is no shooter thread...would paying $85 for a sealed Mars Matrix North America be too much? There has been one up on eBay for the last two months and I really want it new but no others seem to pop up. Used seems to be going for $40-50 in decent quality. I'm trying to make my mind up between this or Demon's Souls as my May "special" purchase.
Hey, don't fret; it tangentially related. Both Takumi and Cave are split remnants talent from the the same company, Toaplan, after it went under.

Why do you want pay premium for a new copy? I'd suggest used but good condition if you're going to open and play anyway.

Godspeed, MM is my favorite shmup :)

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
Hey, don't fret; it tangentially related. Both Takumi and Cave are split remnants talent from the the same company, Toaplan, after it went under.

Why do you want pay premium for a new copy? I'd suggest used but good condition if you're going to open and play anyway.

Godspeed, MM is my favorite shmup :)

Well that is good to hear (favorite, and all that). I think I may eBay my duplicate Pokemon and duplicate Street Fighter IV PS3 to fund since I'm plum out of game money. I want new just because I always like to start off as mine...it seems petty, but every time I've bought used I've wound up regretting it.

I'm also looking for a pristine Neo-Geo AES since the last time I had one was when it launched back when I was in high school and I wanna relive my fond memories of Last Resort, Andro Dunos, Viewpoint, and Nam '75. Looking kinda dire...the systems are relatively inexpensive but the controller sticks don't seem to have held up well. Maybe better to buy a cabinet and go the cheaper MVS route. I dunno.

Yes Boss!

So,

Going by wikipedia is it safe to say I should probably seek out Giga Wing, Giga Wing 2 for the Dreamcast and Giga Wing Generations for the PS2? I usually try to buy one classic shooter each month that something doesn't arrive on the 360. Sometimes I get lucky for cheap on VC with things like M.U.S.H.A., Gleylancer, Cho Aniki and other times I'm willing to throw down a little bit of money if necessary.

Hope the questions aren't too newbie...but I just came back to shooters since the PC-Engine days so I'm missing fifteen years.

I like the new avatar.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of The GigaWing games, Generations especially. On top of that it's a bad port too.

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
I like the new avatar.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of The GigaWing games, Generations especially. On top of that it's a bad port too.

Ok, I'll steer clear for now. I put up a few of my duplicate games on eBay along with some freebies I got from my brother and it should be enough to pick up Mars Matrix in the next few days. Btw, I haven't owned a Dreamcast since 2001 so I've still gotta pick one up...but I always like to build a mini collection before buying a system. Any other Dreamcast must-haves...like Gun Bird or whatever it is called?

Gonna definitely have to do a Japanese Saturn later this year.

(whoops, testing my avatar but it was not colorful so I changed it back).

Gunbird 2 is a phenomenal Psikyo shmup. I really like it.
I really liked Under Defeat but I know I'm in the minority. Vert Heli shmup.
Border Down wasn't really my cup of tea, but try it if you liked Metal Black or Darius.
Ikaruga is nice if you haven't played it elsewhere. Not the be-all end-all like people claim, but very good.

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
Gunbird 2 is a phenomenal Psikyo shmup. I really like it.
I really liked Under Defeat but I know I'm in the minority. Vert Heli shmup.
Border Down wasn't really my cup of tea, but try it if you liked Metal Black or Darius.
Ikaruga is nice if you haven't played it elsewhere. Not the be-all end-all like people claim, but very good.

I've added them to my master list and will try them all. Sounds like Gunbird 2 is the next one to get. Besides Mars Matrix I really really want this game called Batsugun for Saturn. Sounds like these are all interrelated somehow. Ikaruga I've got for XBLA and it just does not work with my brain, at all. Can't even beat the second level...has really turned me off of the Treasure stuff...like...no desire to try Radiant Silvergun.

OK, I've got a good list now to keep me occupied through summer, thanks! I'll pester no longer!

Yes Boss! said:
I've added them to my master list and will try them all. Sounds like Gunbird 2 is the next one to get. Besides Mars Matrix I really really want this game called Batsugun for Saturn. Sounds like these are all interrelated somehow. Ikaruga I've got for XBLA and it just does not work with my brain, at all. Can't even beat the second level...has really turned me off of the Treasure stuff...like...no desire to try Radiant Silvergun.

OK, I've got a good list now to keep me occupied through summer, thanks! I'll pester no longer!

Yeah, Batsugun was the last Toaplan game before they disbanded to later form Cave, Takumi and Gazelle. Some consider Batsugun the first manic shmup.

No big loss on RSG. Possibly the least liked shmup I own.

My favorite Saturn shooter is Soukyugurentai. It's got typical Raizing rank foolishness, but I enjoy it.
Saturn shmups in general are prohibitively expensive. As a result I still have yet to play Battle Garegga, a highly regarded Raizing game, but I really want to.
Great inexpensive Saturn shmups to look out for are Layer Section and Darius Gaiden. These two are an excellent place to start your Saturn collection.

hmm maybe one of us should make a generic shmup thread...

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
hmm maybe one of us should make a generic shmup thread...

Yeah, I really want that where normal folks can ask questions. There was a LTTP thread awhile back but I could not find it...plus some of the kinder folks have been banned. Hoping Adverse and Chiarascuro come back soon. I kind of have to pick through the shmup forum and Cave-STG for info but some of those folks are just too hardcore with all their slowdown and PCB talk.

I've no problem with the pricing on the Saturn...it is doable. As a teen in the early nineties I had a massive Neo-Geo collection and would import tons of PC-Engine Super CDs so I already know the sting. I'll finish the Dreamcast shooting catalog first and get that one out of the way. I did have a Saturn back in the day but I just bought it for Enemy Zero because I liked the British composer hired for the score.

Also, I've still gotta buy half the shmups on the Japanese PSN store...already got all of the ones that are on the HK store.

fatty

I did a thread a while back where quite a few people offered some great suggestions. I'd be all for helping to contribute to a new thread since I also fall into the camp of people who are interested in shooters (sorry I still hate typing Shmup) but I'm not hardcore like some Cave fans in this thread. If only I can try out some of these Cave shooters stateside without having to pay out the butt.

It might have been mentioned already earlier in this thread but another recommendation is Gradius V (my favorite shooter this past generation). Beautiful game.

Top Bottom