• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Book of Eli (GAF meltdown incoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
StoOgE said:
Alright.

Just got back.

First of all, I liked it. I have some major problems with the movie, but on the whole I liked it.

My biggest complaint honestly is the fucking retarded product placements in this movie. In a world where books are a rare commodity, water is scarce and working electronics are even scarcer it seems that corporate branding has been harmed in no way whatsoever. Several of the product placements took me right out of the immersion in the movie. The KFC packets were one thing, the giant fucking Motorola logo on the bullhorn was too much.

lol every time he broke out those dr. dre ear buds I was like yeaaaaaah. He shoulda sold them bitches for a car or somethin'.

With that said there were little things with the world and to a small extent a few characters but it was an aight film.

GhaleonEB

Gary Whitta said:
As my girlfriend pointed out, it's unlikely that the first priority among survivors in a post-apoc world would be to scrape the logos off everything :lol
It's about as likely that their priority would be to go bible burning. :p

People who complain about a couple of company logos and let that ruin their experience must have a hard time walking outside of their house. How do you all live your life?

Anyway, another neat thing I just remembered is that when Eli is trading a lighter for water, he lights it and then passes his hand over the flame to make sure that it lit up. I want to watch the movie again to catch all of these little neat things. Damn I love this movie's endings. Few movies deliver great endings these days. Thank you Gary.

mrkgoo

I have my ticket and am waiting to go in. I know of a twist but I don't think I'm aware of what that may be. See you on the other side!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Gary when making a story like this ... what was the starting point? Meaning: An ambition to tell a different kind of post-apocalyptic story? Do you love yourself some Jesus and want to spread the message trough more marketable means? Maybe the movie originally had no religious aspects and they were included later in order to glue the story together? Was the end of the movie always there or did you guys develop it as you went along with the writing?

Just curious :)

Drakken

Flunkie said:
I just got back from seeing it. I was actually quite blown away. The way I interpreted it, it had tons of religious references on a deeper level.

I mean, a few examples: 1. Big flash = Biblical doomsday, where all the believers are whisked away to join everlasting peace and the non-believers are left behind. 2. Eli's journey was representative of Jesus' time spent walking the earth. Especially the whole "30 years" thing. 3. At the end, where Eli is rowing out to Alcatraz, and he can't go any longer - this is representative of when Jesus was carrying the cross and just could not bear to go on. 4. After Christ was resurrected, he sent his Desciples to go out and preach the Word to the world. Solara "taking over" for Eli at the end felt a lot similar to Christ's calling of his followers.

Don't know if all that was intentional, but cool observations.

Ronok

Just came back from this film and it was fucking awful. Who the fuck spends all them years searching for the fucking bible when half the population can't read and is most likely stupid enough to believe whatever the fuck you say in the first place? Write your own god damn book of bullshit.
Second of all, why the fuck does it matter if this little island sanctuary/library thing has a copy of the bible? They'd be better off with a damn dictionary or some text books.
Shitty product placement was obviously annoying, not to mention the idea of shaking hands meaning you eat too much human meat. That lady was old as shit, she could have had any number of reasons for her hands shaking.

I'd honestly have had a far better time if they just spent some time detailing wtf happened to the country instead of going on some stupid religious mission.

I really wish I had actually read what this film was about before going to see it, I'd have saved myself some money.

dustin

Neo Member
Great movie, that was THE coolest, most amazing fucking shootout I've ever seen in a movie. You know which one I'm talking about.

Fox318

Saw the movie yesturday. Really liked it .
I love the subtle hints to blindness throughout the movie. But I just want to say Fuck you Gary. I had you can ring my bell stuck in my head all day. :lol

Costanza

Banned
Man I'm so glad I can enjoy a movie without picking apart the most miniscule shit that doesn't even matter. I feel sorry for some of you.

There ARE legitimate complaints about this film brought up in this thread, but for the most part.... come on guys. This is the kind of stuff you get laughed at by normal people about.

We got a great rating from CinemaScore, which is the main industry metric for gauging audience response. A- among audiences under 35, B+ overall. Good stuff!

GhaleonEB

Gary Whitta said:
We got a great rating from CinemaScore, which is the main industry metric for gauging audience response. A- among audiences under 35, B+ overall. Good stuff!
Yup, Eli is going to have good legs; those are great scores. (I pointing out how Avatar's A+/A Cinemascore mirrored Titanic's on opening weekend, a comparison that turned out better than I was expecting in retrospect.)

B+ should guarantee at least $100m. It's already shown signs of strong legs over the weekend.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Ronok said:
Just came back from this film and it was fucking awful. Who the fuck spends all them years searching for the fucking bible when half the population can't read and is most likely stupid enough to believe whatever the fuck you say in the first place? Write your own god damn book of bullshit.
Second of all, why the fuck does it matter if this little island sanctuary/library thing has a copy of the bible? They'd be better off with a damn dictionary or some text books.
Shitty product placement was obviously annoying, not to mention the idea of shaking hands meaning you eat too much human meat. That lady was old as shit, she could have had any number of reasons for her hands shaking.

I'd honestly have had a far better time if they just spent some time detailing wtf happened to the country instead of going on some stupid religious mission.

I really wish I had actually read what this film was about before going to see it, I'd have saved myself some money.

I dont understand how one can be so picky (nevermind angry) about unimportant shit and be a Naruto fan.

Saw it on saturday. Going into the movie i knew the twist, so the entire time i was keeping my eye out for stuff that would give it away. Overall Denzel did a great job acting out those little bits. They've been said before and people know by now so i wont say it again, But i really enjoyed watching this movie.

It definitely struck me more as an art film than a blockbuster, which is good. Great job Whitta!

Ronok said:
What discredits his opinion is that he is that shitty cliche who thinks ANY talk of religion is bad and is out to get him. I mean it physically pains him that anyone might see the Bible as important. This kind of insecure shit is prevalent in many other people who didn't like this movie.

VaLiancY

I saw it this weekend and I really enjoyed it. I like films were you can speculate on how the devastation happen instead of someone explaining it in full detail.

That cat sure look good on that grill though!:lol

VaLiancY said:
I saw it this weekend and I really enjoyed it. I like films were you can speculate on how the devastation happen instead of someone explaining it in full detail.

That cat sure look good on that grill though!:lol
Fun fact: that was actually a roast rabbit prepared by a gourmet chef.

Costanza

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
I never actually said he was wrong.
well, it's still true that anyone with a Naruto (or any anime, really) avatar has no right to be bitching about the plot in anything.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Vast Inspiration said:
People who complain about a couple of company logos and let that ruin their experience must have a hard time walking outside of their house. How do you all live your life?

Address people directly instead of making these bullshit generalized comments immediately following someone's post about what you're describing.

I liked it, but the product placements (the earbuds were the worst), the pacing during the town sequence, and possible plot holes (I'll get to that) slightly ruin its potential, but otherwise the cinematography, the score, and the acting were superb. The twist was worthy of its hype and is open to numerous interpretations.
Was Eli blinded before or after the flash? What was the flash? Was he completely or partially blind? Where and how did he find the Bible? Could he really have done all those things while blind?
I love movies that are open to interpretation and this is one of them. I'll watch it a second time on Blu-ray.

Raging Spaniard

I dont mind the product placement, its a Hollywood movie so its expected, really. It also helps to make the story more relatable to the audience.

mrkgoo

Ok back out. Hvent read this thread, but some fresh comments.

I enjoyed it! I thought it was shot well, and I like the idea and plot. I never had any idea about the twist so my miNd was blown.

My main gripe are the motivation of the characters doesn't seem logical at times. Solara seeme to have little point apart from being someone to bounce things off of, just to hve some interaction. Plus the other characters were a bit empty.

Still all movies can have those issues and I actually liked the design and plot of the film.

Congrats on getting second place in the credits! I cheered for you when I saw it.

It was a treat to watch. No the best ever, but I've certainly seen plenty worse this past year.

Oh, I personally liked the product placement. I felt it gave credence to the world. The little IFC towellettes were kind of amusingly tragic.

DanielPlainview said:
check out our interview with GARY WHITTA here: [Interview: Part 1] Gary Whitta on ‘The Book of Eli’

Thanks for doing the interview again Gary! We just recorded a podcast discussing the film as well. Will have it up tomorrow or Wed. :D
Yeah that was a fun interview. I think anyone who's interested in knowing more about the intentions behind the film will enjoy it. Lot of typos, though - sorry, that's the old editor in me coming out :lol

EviLore said:
Address people directly instead of making these bullshit generalized comments immediately following someone's post about what you're describing.
There are quite a few people in this thread that have expressed an unusually high disdain of product placement. Should I quote every single one? Or should I selectively quote like you did earlier?

I don't have anything against anyone specific. I think the general sentiment that product placement is so terrible that it ruins the entire movie is a gross exaggeration so I made a comment about that. I have no need or desire to "call out" a dozen other people in this thread that might share that sentiment.

Ramirez

Costanza said:
Man I'm so glad I can enjoy a movie without picking apart the most miniscule shit that doesn't even matter. I feel sorry for some of you.

There ARE legitimate complaints about this film brought up in this thread, but for the most part.... come on guys. This is the kind of stuff you get laughed at by normal people about.

Pretty much this.

Akia

Plissken said:
Saw the movie today, enjoyed it quite a bit. Regarding the twist, my thinking was that
Eli was blind before the apocalypse happened, and whatever it was that tore open the sky actually gave him his sight back. He found the braille bible, and figured God had bestowed a miracle upon him, so it was his duty to take the bible wherever it was needed and make sure it survived. He was as awesome as he was because his senses had been honed while he was blind, and when he got his sight back he was able to use them to his advantage.

I need to see it again though, that theory could be completely off, but that was what went through my mind immediately after watching it.

This is what I thought as well coming out of it.

Trasher

Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was pretty good. Not amazing, but definitely not bad. I went into it already knowing the twist, so it was fun to pay attention to the little things that dealt with that. One thing that I thought was kinda off in the movie was that Mila Kunis' character kinda seemed out of place. Maybe it's just because I'm not used to seeing here in that type of role.

Also, I don't really understand what the problem is with the product placement stuff. That stuff is all over the place, so why wouldn't it be in a post-apocalyptic world? I mean, the only one that was kind of distracting to me was the Dr. Dre Beats because they looked so new, but it still didn't bug me that much. Maybe it would have been better if they were just the regular iPod earbuds and were dirtied up a bit.

Anyways, overall I liked it. Nice work Gary.

mrkgoo

Just read the above interview. Cool read, actually.

Gary:
You must've seen Blind Fury back in the day (with Rutger Hauer). I can't say it gave me vibes from that, because I didn't know the twist at the end, but when I see this movie again, I'll probably definitely have those vibes. Also, I can't really remember Blind Fury all that well.

Kind of off topic, but reading the synopsis of the Blind Fury plot on IMDB is hilarious - posted by a user. "He would then return to the States and would visit an old Army buddy. When he gets there, he discovers that he and his wife are divorced."

Barrett2

Saw it last night, even dragged a few other people to it. Found it mostly enjoyable, aside from a few quibbles. Nice job, Gary!

Anerythristic said:
Well, my wife and I are off to a 7:30 showing. I hate opening weekends.

Just got back really liked it. I also don't think this was a plothole as some have said...

SUPER SPOILER!
Was he walking 30 years on a preordained path to give him time to memorize the Bible?

Scarecrow

I'm sure Gary's tired of the comparison, but I thought it was a great Fallout movie. It's how I'd picture such a movie to be. It's not a grand epic to thwart some titanic foe, but a personal journey with all the challenges that come along with it.

Ten-Song

Just got back from seeing a late showing of the flick. Really loved it. Saw the twist about Eli's character coming from a mile away, but that didn't really bother me, the way things played out was still cool. Great cast, and the cinematography was outstanding. Lots of great action that was really well shot as well.

I also like that the movie didn't try to beat anyone over the head with a lot of the themes. It never tried to make Eli out to be some messianic person, and I like that no one ever goes into extreme detail as to why everything is so fucked up.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So it looks like this movie rocks huh?
Congratulations Gary!

How awesome and happy you must feel now! ,like standing in front of the Titanic yelling : 'Im the King of the World!!'

Again : Congratulations!

Gonna watch it after AVATAR.
And yes, im gonna watch it just because you man, even if it is a silly reason.
(Though i love Denzel and Gary 'Mother effin' Oldman) :lol

Bit-Bit

I saw it on Sunday. At first I wasn't sure what to feel of the twist. But as I sit back and think about all of the clues in the movie and discussed it with my buddies at work. It all came together to make perfect sense. I'll try to explain as best as I can below with spoiler.

Telegraphing Eli's blindness was everywhere once you actually start to look for it. The bumping into the desk, the smelling of the bandits, the shadow fight, his super hearing to save Solara, his reading the Bible with his hands on the page in a dark corner, he only shot at people who made noise/shot at him first, he's literally walking by faith and not by sight, he didn't read the sign that said No Trespassers, ect. There are just tons of them when you think about it.

I'm sure Eli trained himself not to give away his handicap. Which ironically ends up being a huge advantage.

Some of my friends thought it was impossible for anyone to memorize word for word the Bible. But really, I myself was taught to memorize whole pages as a kid, I'm sure Eli had 30 whole years to do it during his journey without problem.

Carnegie was really unnerving to me. His ambition to unite the world by using what he considers to be the ultimate weapon, I think drove him delirious. He goes from showering love and shampoo to his wife(?), to gripping her hair in torture as soon as he knows about the book. From that point on, I knew that this man would do whatever it takes to get that book. Though I would argue that he's not necessarily an evil person. After all, he didn't kill Eli when he had the chance. He was just trying to bring hope to the world much like Eli. I ask, what's wrong with wanting to rebuild civilization?

I really like the idea of the Blind Messiah. Reminded me a lot of Neo from the Matrix movies.

That's it I think, as far as what I took out of the movie. Great Job Gary Whitta!

hednik4am

Bit-Bit said:
I saw it on Sunday. At first I wasn't sure what to feel of the twist. But as I sit back and think about all of the clues in the movie and discussed it with my buddies at work. It all came together to make perfect sense. I'll try to explain as best as I can below with spoiler.

Telegraphing Eli's blindness was everywhere once you actually start to look for it. The bumping into the desk, the smelling of the bandits, the shadow fight, his super hearing to save Solara, his reading the Bible with his hands on the page in a dark corner, he only shot at people who made noise/shot at him first, he's literally walking by faith and not by sight, he didn't read the sign that said No Trespassers, ect. There are just tons of them when you think about it.

I'm sure Eli trained himself not to give away his handicap. Which ironically ends up being a huge advantage.

Some of my friends thought it was impossible for anyone to memorize word for word the Bible. But really, I myself was taught to memorize whole pages as a kid, I'm sure Eli had 30 whole years to do it during his journey without problem.

Carnegie was really unnerving to me. His ambition to unite the world by using what he considers to be the ultimate weapon, I think drove him delirious. He goes from showering love and shampoo to his wife(?), to gripping her hair in torture as soon as he knows about the book. From that point on, I knew that this man would do whatever it takes to get that book. Though I would argue that he's not necessarily an evil person. After all, he didn't kill Eli when he had the chance. He was just trying to bring hope to the world much like Eli. I ask, what's wrong with wanting to rebuild civilization?

I really like the idea of the Blind Messiah. Reminded me a lot of Neo from the Matrix movies.

That's it I think, as far as what I took out of the movie. Great Job Gary Whitta!

I think I can find something good in most every movie I see. I love movies and ones where I don't feel its heavy handed with the point it makes will always get a repeat viewing from me

Saw this last night. Went in with the lowest of expectations but left pleasantly surprised.

The good
- Gary Oldman
- The music
- The post apocalyptic world (not too populated but not too scarce, destroyed, but functional)
- The opening scene
- The action/violence (especially
Martha/George's house shootout
)
- The finite amount of henchmen
- The twist, even though most people will see it coming from miles away

The bad
- The product placement (specifically the brand spanking new ear buds and iPod)
- Mila Kunis
- Mila Kunis's mom
- Almost all of the above two's dialogue
- The incredibly rushed/lame ending.
Blow up van! --> Pick up Eli! --> Alcatraz! --> He's blind! --> He's dead! --> retarded slow motion shots of chick walking into the sunset

All in all, better than a 7/10 but not quite an 8. Thoroughly entertained and engaged throughout once you concede that you'll have to suspend all belief. A billion times better than The Road which is one of the worst films of 2009 IMO.

Not to sell tickets or Blu-rays ;) but it's really worth watching a second time to really pay attention and watch all the things Denzel does with his performance,
all the subtle clues that he's actually blind
- it's really quite astonishing. I've seen it about eight times now and I still spot new things every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom