• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS 2016 Line Up By Nintendo Revealed (Verified Source at Nintendo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with this is that is kind of pointless to use old codenames and add a word or letter to it and pretend its still a codename, people would just make the connection if that was the case.

For localizations it makes sense (Like Style Savvy), but for sequels? it would be kind of silly.
But Mario Party and Pokémon Rumble both HAVE used their code names multiple times. And I imagine these aren't typically seen outside of Nintendo prior to actual reveal announcements.

Plus, it's not like any of the traceable code names are earth-shattering anyway.

ramparter

Banned
Would Trev get in trouble? He's not a dev or nintendo employee.
Most importantly he should be no under any contract with Nintendo so I can't see him get into much trouble. Then again they could probably have him not speak again on the matter.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Would Trev get in trouble? He's not a dev or nintendo employee.

I don't think he could. I think, as a journalist, he has certain rights that would protect him. If there was some kind of note on the document he was shown that said "information is not to be distributed" or whatever, I don't think he could get in any trouble, but I wonder if Nintendo could send a fairly threatening email. Perhaps there's something small they could take legal action over. Not sure. Since he never showed the document, I really doubt there's much anyone could do, but I'm really not knowledgeable about legal matters, unlike the people Nintendo employs on their legal team. Nintendo could also have asked nicely, I dunno. *shrug*

It's possible that the source requested he take it down. The source's reasoning might be 1) Source regretted the decision to share it 2) There was trouble brewing at Nintendo and Source thought taking it down would help 3) Source was found out and told to have it taken down. There are tons of possibilities, and I'm only speculating about a few. I'm truly taking shots in the dark, and hopefully Trev will be able to shine a light on it.

Ultimately, the things I could see Nintendo getting upset about are the budget info being released, since that's typically very private, and the price drop plan, as that can impact sales. Everything else I can't imagine Nintendo would care about because, from what people have concluded, a lot of the mysterious games are likely, but unable to be confirmed, more localizations and we have no way of knowing anything else about the remaining others.

There's also the chance that it was fake and Trevelyan9999 took it down upon realizing that, but I imagine it would have had to have been a pretty elaborate ruse for the identity of the source to be identified and verified by two different people (Trev and the mod) and then for them to deliver fake info. It's very unlikely, but if this somehow were the case, we'd probably see this thread closed eventually.

Just a note to people, and especially blogs, reading this: when we "verify" sources, what we do is get a name to the source and verify that they are in a position that could plausibly know the things that they say they know. We do not verify what they're claiming, just that they are theoretically in a place to be claiming the things they are.

Thanks for clarifying! :D I was just wondering earlier how this was done exactly. :)

DKHF

I also noticed that the videos had been taken down earlier. Hopefully none of the scenarios above took place except for Trev's source wanting him to take down the info just to help the situation at Nintendo or something.

I did warn you all that the NDAS with regard to software and hardware are so severe this time around, my friend will not say anything to me and I have known him for years, other than awesome and exciting!

Trev as much as I am thankful to you for sharing your knowledge I really hope you didn't get in trouble.

Your contact should know a lot better and although its good to let fans know Nintendo are not idle and give them something to *chew on* (if you like) its not for him to share this news and is for Nintendo to surprise us! Don't be surprised if lots of timelines change now.

I don't care if you believe what I say or not, I am just excited for what's to come. I do believe that Nintendo needs another platform now to reverse the poor profits.

Malus

I did warn you all that the NDAS with regard to software and hardware are so severe this time around, my friend will not say anything to me and I have known him for years, other than awesome and exciting!

A friend you say...awesome and exciting...NDAs...

tumblr_nefcojrXF91s2wio8o1_500.gif

Trev as much as I am thankful to you for sharing your knowledge I really hope you didn't get in trouble.

Your contact should know a lot better and although its good to let fans know Nintendo are not idle and give them something to *chew on* (if you like) its not for him to share this news and is for Nintendo to surprise us! Don't be surprised if lots of timelines change now.

I don't care if you believe what I say or not, I am just excited for what's to come. I do believe that Nintendo needs another platform now to reverse the poor profits.
What do you means if lots of timelines change?

Yeah, I have a few friends who work at the Redmond HQ of NOA (Sales & Marketing, Treehouse, etc.) and their lips are totally sealed. Anything I've gleaned from them has been from clever inferencing and deductive reasoning, and even that information will remain behind closed doors.

There was a time when the flow of information wasn't this strict, which leads me to believe that Nintendo is doing a much better job at controlling said information this time around.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I haven't played any Mario Party game since DS, but Nd Cube doesn't really have a good track record with these games, do they?

I think the only thing NdCube is good at is delivering the fabled Nintendo Dreck every once in a while. This is true moreso for Wii Party (U) than their Mario Party games but not by much. Easily the worst developer under Nintendo's umbrella.

jariw

I don't think he could. I think, as a journalist, he has certain rights that would protect him.

A blogger that (based on past history) just repost material of others, and then goes on to create speculation videos of his own, automatically makes him a journalist?

A blogger that (based on past history) just repost material of others, and then goes on to create speculation videos of his own, automatically makes him a journalist?

Let's not pretend that videogame journalism has some type of gold standard; it's shitty and always has been shitty, and is of no higher level of quality or integrity than that of the average blogger.

This is so much bigger than some NDAs.

The leaker in question released a list of Nintendo of Americas exact forecasted plan for FY17 for their main lines of business. The person literally gave us dollar figures. This is business critical information, no company on earth would just let that slide.

The leaker in question released a list of Nintendo of Americas exact forecasted plan for FY17 for their main lines of business. The person literally gave us dollar figures. This is business critical information, no company on earth would just let that slide.

I agree, and this is something that I touched on when he first leaked the information.

bachikarn

From the Pokemon thread

I'm so happy to confirm this... Niji is the code name for Sun and Moon!

EDIT: Proof from the TPCi North American press release assets

niji.png

More evidence that Trev posted legit info

Edit: damn, beaten by a sec. I checked first too before posting the info lol

Noi_

Banned
Looks like this is actually a legit leak. Niji is in the press release file names for Sun and Moon.

Edit: Woops, got double ninja'd, wasn't there when I went to post

ChaosXVI

From the Pokemon thread

More evidence that Trev posted legit info

Edit: damn, beaten by a sec. I checked first too before posting the info lol

Yeah, this makes his information seem pretty much airtight at this point. And probably explains the silence on his part...Surely Nintendo at the very least has sent him a strongly worded e-mail at this point.

Fawk Nin

Yeah, this makes his information seem pretty much airtight at this point. And probably explains the silence on his part...Surely Nintendo at the very least has sent him a strongly worded e-mail at this point.

Well on his website the 3ds release info and zelda nx articles have been pulled. Make of that what you will.

ChaosXVI

Well on his website the 3ds release info and zelda nx articles have been pulled. Make of that what you will.

I would guess he's trying to play ball so he doesn't get the ninjas on him. Can't say I blame him. Receiving the ire of a giant corporation that takes its privacy as seriously as Nintendo does would be enough to scare the hell out of me. But then again I'm no journalist. I don't think there's any sort of legal action Nintendo could take against him, but they could always try to muscle him into giving up the actual source, which is who they really want.

thefro

Yep... I'm not a journalist or anything but if I were reporting this I definitely wouldn't have mentioned the dollar figures.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
He didn't cancel only the 3DS and Wii U posts, guys. He cancelled also

- the two articles where he detailed what an unnamed third party developer said about NDAs, public dev kits distribution, engine supports, etc. --> regarded as 100% true, like the Nintendo leak
- the article with the rumour (unconfirmed, not treated in the same way as those other articles) of FFVII and FFXV on NX.

The latter article really strikes me as a strange thing to remove, since it wasn't 100% "confirmed" and it didn't directly tie into Nintendo or NDA-related stuff. Unless even that was more real than we thought...?

MK_768

He didn't cancel only the 3DS and Wii U posts, guys. He cancelled also

- the two articles where he detailed what an unnamed third party developer said about NDAs, public dev kits distribution, engine supports, etc. --> regarded as 100% true, like the Nintendo leak
- the article with the rumour (unconfirmed, not treated in the same way as those other articles) of FFVII and FFXV on NX.

The latter article really strikes me as a strange thing to remove, since it wasn't 100% "confirmed" and it didn't directly tie into Nintendo or NDA-related stuff. Unless even that was more real than we thought...?

If Nintendo is the reason for him taking the posts and vids down it is likely Nintendo just doesn't want the speculation.

Cause if the FF stuff is treated as fact now and we don't get them then it could be a bit damaging to the NX. People will be disappointed, stupidly so.

Simply put, Nintendo had two choices: target all of Trev's leak or none. They chose all it seems. Can't blame them. Wouldn't read too much into it though. I certainly wouldn't take everything Trev said as confirmation now.

If Nintendo is the reason for him taking the posts and vids down it is likely Nintendo just doesn't want the speculation.

Cause if the FF stuff is treated as fact now and we don't get them then it could be a bit damaging to the NX. People will be disappointed, stupidly so.

Simply put, Nintendo had two choices: target all of Trev's leak or none. They chose all it seems. Can't blame them. Wouldn't read too much into it though. I certainly wouldn't take everything Trev said as confirmation now.

Eh.

Rumour stays up, people expect it, people get disappointed.

Rumour gets removed, people expect it, people get disappointed.

You can't win :) The period when people are seeking information on the next console, must be hell for the three console manufacturers.

I would guess he's trying to play ball so he doesn't get the ninjas on him. Can't say I blame him. Receiving the ire of a giant corporation that takes its privacy as seriously as Nintendo does would be enough to scare the hell out of me. But then again I'm no journalist. I don't think there's any sort of legal action Nintendo could take against him, but they could always try to muscle him into giving up the actual source, which is who they really want.

He fucked up reporting exact amounts of marketing money.

Honestly that wouldnt matter at all there so many leaks and rumors.. doubt Nintendo care of people s dissapointment based on rumors lol

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

This doesn't make sense. FF was specifically from another, less reliable source. Bundle it together with the leak that it's practically confirmed now rather gives credibility to the FF rumor than not.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
And on top of that, no NX handheld this year for the West despite those earlier strong rumors, so specifically it's a console we are likely getting.

For the n-th time: that part of his article was SPECULATION. The source speculated the home comes out first due to 3DS lineup, Trev speculated because he thinks that Zelda U as a NX launch title can only mean it's a home console. I'm not saying it won't be like you said, but again, that was SPECULATION, especially since the marketing schedule did NOT contain infos about what NX actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom