• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

dano1

A Sheep
Sounds kind of anti-consumer. Hypothetically, it would push the consumer to buy new iterations in order to play the newest games, that, potentially, are built and optimized for the stronger hardware in mind.

Seems like they want to do something similiar to Apple's Iphone revisions.

And I'm fine with that. I get a new iPhone every 2 years and all my games work on my new and old phones. Kind of tired of waiting 6-8 years for new hardware. I have a good job and will gladly sell my old system to someone less fortunate. Win for all.

klaushm

Would be awesome if the next release of PS4 could fit more than one PSVR player.

That wouldn't be possible because of the breakout box, but, a man can dream.

Keihart

This only makes sense if Sony is preparing to go the PC route as MS is doing.
Anyway, if this cycles become a thing for new consoles, gaming PC's will be the default platform to game on even more for the etusiasts gamers.

I highly doubt this PS4.5 being a thing in 2016 if ever.

Basically said that TLG would be at E3 before anyone else did. Quickly got verified by a mod and... yeah.

He's fairly legit, although by the same token he said that Sony's PGW show would outstrip their E3, which turned out to be total bollocks.

Leaked the Last Guardian being at last E3 and because of that is now known to GAF as a Sony insider who knows all
I see. So he's got one credible leak.

How I miss Crazy Buttocks

carlsojo

Largely depending on what the contents are, I'd bite. It certainly wouldn't be worse than my
awful
decision to buy the n3DS.

kennyamr

(If this is really happening...)

What if...

This is just a PS4 that is capable to output 4K.

Same power, same sound, same engine, same game, same machine, same everything, except that this would be for people who have bought or will buy a 4K TV.

It plays the same exact games and does the same exact stuff, except that it supports 4KTVs.

Would this be a tragedy? or... just an add-on like the PSVR.

The PSVR headset is the same thing if you think about it.
An add-on for people who want to enjoy current PS4 games differently (excluding VR-only games for the purpose of this comment).
The headset would be for people who want to play on a giant screen in front of their eyes and this PS4-4K console would be for people who want to play at 4K resolution.

I really don't see the difference between the two.

The current model would still sell until the PS5 comes around and this would be an optional setup for maybe $100 extra.

I don't see this as a tragedy, more like an expansion of the PS4 ecosystem.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Who would buy a huge upgrade capable of 4K gaming? It would be ridiculously expensive.

I imagine most of that market would much rather buy a PC.

If this apparent "upgraded" PS4 is indeed launched at that price it would be hilarious. The argument for fixed console purchases would fly out the door and people would just go buy a PC that they can incrementally update for far cheaper and better results.

Hell right now I'm running all the latest games on an i7 3770k and a 770 4GB, which is at least four years old now.

big fake

what-the-f-tom-delonge.gif

If they do this consoles will die. Its way too soon.I didnt buy this chunk of hardware for my lounge to last three years before I retire it.

Next you will be telling me Andrew House will say launch PS4 is a legacy platform..Sorry had a bad day but this is bs of the highest order.
You wouldn't have to buy it. You don't have to buy the newest GPU every year just to play new games on pc and you don't have to buy the newest phone either. This is an upgrade, not a generational reset.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't get it, will the PS4k only bump up the resolution of PS4 games to 4K and nothing else? If so then who gives a fuck outside of a niche base who is deadset to play at that resolution. For me personally it must hava substantial improvements across the board gfx wise to even consider purchasing this.

jeffram

I think we will see a lot more 4K content by 2017. The movies in production right now or released as of Star Wars are ready for the 4K market to take off. There maybe 25 or so 4K blu-ray movies in the market right now, but that number will change and will be in hundreds, just like Avatar changed the number for 3D movies. However, unlike 3D, 4K has real benefits and is not a gimmick. Movies are already shot close to 4K, so there is nothing extra that has to be done there to bring it to mass market. Right now the MSRP of 4K and 3D blu-ray movies is in the same $29.99 range (with regular blu-rays in the $24.99 range), so it's easier for the studio to justify the price.

Just as an idea, in the wedding industry, I can already produce native 4K wedding films if necessary. The content is already there. The demand will be generated when your home hardware next year is all 4K and beyond. The good thing it'll do is make 1080p TVs dirt cheap. Though since you're talking about Cable/Satellite market, know that they've always been the last one to adopt any technological advancement, always. They were the last to provide 720p, and the last to provide 1080p. They will be the last to provide 4K. And yet, they're already announcing 4KTV content for the mass market for select channels (e.g. Rogers 4K service: http://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/4k).
On top of all of that, what broadcast is capable of is only going to become less relevant to consumers as time goes on.

The gap required in processing power to run 1080p resolution games smoothly and 4k games smoothly is gigantic, so this being rumoured as merely an 'upgraded PS4' is slightly baffling. 4K gaming is a generational leap over what PS4 is capable of. It's the PS5. But apparently this is not that.

Is it a possibility that what some devs have been discussing has been their briefings on the PS5 that Cerny and co must be approaching final specs on? Perhaps that has been fatuously twisted into this rumour.

And FF7, and Shenmue, and got the Bish check and passed.

He didn't leak those. Siliconera leaked FF7R and Shenmue was pretty much started by Suzuki posting a picture of a forklift. It's also worth nothing that verification only mean that people are in a position to know things not that everything they say is accurate.

ssharm02

Banned
He didn't leak those. Siliconera leaked FF7R and Shenmue was pretty much started by Suzuki posting a picture of a forklift. It's also worth nothing that verification only mean that people are in a position to know things not that everything they say is accurate.
So you are saying he has is a fraud? Where is bish when u need him

Top Bottom