• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Median Wealth for Single Black Women in Prime of Career: $5.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
canova said:
The worse part is that data is from 2007, when the U.S economy was at the peak.

Since the median includes debt, the fact that more credit was available at that time may ironically make a better picture now. Debtors are a massive drag on that median. If they can't get cridt so easily it may change.

QuadCore

Banned
empty vessel said:
Yep, there is a kind of internal third world country here. The US has one of the industrial world's worst, if not the worst, wealth disparities.

People can get out if they want. They choose not to.

Canova

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Since the median includes debt, the fact that more credit was available at that time may ironically make a better picture now. Debtors are a massive drag on that median. If they can't get cridt so easily it may change.

I very much doubt that

Median family net worth dropped 18% in 2008 alone. And that's for all family, and I bet you that single black female is worse off than 18%
http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/ViewPost.aspx?bpid=156492&t=01001529370998141183

I can't find data from 2009 yet

Stinkles

canova said:
I very much doubt that

Median family net worth dropped 18% in 2008 alone. And that's for all family, and I bet you that single black female is worse off than 18%
http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/ViewPost.aspx?bpid=156492&t=01001529370998141183

I can't find data from 2009 yet

You maybe right, but with numbers that low, the problem is obviously related to availability of credit. Whatever the new numbers, they will have been affected dramatically by the amount of credit available.

ToxicAdam

"Our government knows how to build wealth for people. They've done it for others and they can do it for all of us. They need to focus some attention on women of color. Look at the situation and see what we need."

Of course, because the government fixes EVERYTHING! :lol

Canova

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
You maybe right, but with numbers that low, the problem is obviously related to availability of credit. Whatever the new numbers, they will have been affected dramatically by the amount of credit available.

well limiting the credit does not improve the situation, it just prevents the situation from getting worse.

In the meantime there are other factors going against them, such as more job loss, salary-cut, the value of homes plumeted wiping out homeowner equity, bankruptcy for those who owns small business, etc, etc

QuadCore

Banned
empty vessel said:
Can get out of what if they choose to? Poverty? Why, in your opinion, do black people choose poverty more than white people?

That's actually quite very easily to answer, but I will probably be labeled a racist and banned.

ronito

Jewbacca said:
The interracial dating ads will surely fix these statistics.
actually there was an interesting NPR story about how single black women are the least likely to marry outside of their race of any group and because of that and the fact that black men are definitely not solely dating black women that helps create situations like the one in this thread. I was going to start a thread about it but couldn't find the story to link.

QuadCore said:
That's actually quite very easily to answer, but I will probably be labeled a racist and banned.

So there's no way to explain why black people choose to be poor more often than white people without sounding like a racist?

QuadCore said:

Do continue. And, please, preface your remarks by saying how you have black friends and that only the lurkers will support your brave non-PC "truth-speaking".

QuadCore

Banned
Black people in general think that they are owed something. Why? I don't know. Probably because of slavery or something. They are very demanding people. The term African American is the most ridiculous phrase in our English language. Sure they are some people who are from Africa and are now an American, but 99% of the blacks aren't. You are from American, you're an American. Not African American.

That said. Black people love to blame others than to try and fix the problem. Why are they poor? Well that's easy. The white men made them poor. No! That is not true. Sure their ancestors were slaves, but they aren't now and haven't been for a very very long time. But now they have every opportunity to, like any other American, in this country, make something for themselves.

So back again to the point. They continually want to rely upon other people to help them. They want handouts. They want reperation (sp?) from slavery. What would they do with that money? Probably waste it and still be in the exact same situation they are now. Why is it so ironic that most black men don't make it to college and end up in jail, prison, or a life of gangs?

They end up following their friends and their fatherly figures who half the time aren't there with the family anyways.

So I guess my main point is, and I'm sure this will probably be my last post on here for being banned, but black people in general do not have goals, desires, the will power, or more importantly the encouragement from people they rely upon to get out and obtain a better life.

Even the rappers whom have gotten out, still stay in that lifestyle. So sometimes it's not even a matter of money. It's a matter of, they are use to it, and have no desire to get out of it.

QuadCore said:
If I post a racist comment people will call me racist.

Fixed that for you.

Edit: Holy shit. Your post was worse than I could have possibly imagined. You are completely mind-numbingly ignorant.

QuadCore

Banned
Tim the Wiz said:
Do continue. And, please, preface your remarks by saying how you have black friends and that only the lurkers will support your brave non-PC "truth-speaking".

Actually my best friend is black, and he agree with my sentiment on his own race.

ronito

QuadCore said:
Black people in general think that they are owed something. Why? I don't know. Probably because of slavery or something. They are very demanding people. The term African American is the most ridiculous phrase in our English language. Sure they are some people who are from Africa and are now an American, but 99% of the blacks aren't. You are from American, you're an American. Not African American.

That said. Black people love to blame others than to try and fix the problem. Why are they poor? Well that's easy. The white men made them poor. No! That is not true. Sure their ancestors were slaves, but they aren't now and haven't been for a very very long time. But now they have every opportunity to, like any other American, in this country, make something for themselves.

So back again to the point. They continually want to rely upon other people to help them. They want handouts. They want reperation (sp?) from slavery. What would they do with that money? Probably waste it and still be in the exact same situation they are now. Why is it so ironic that most black men don't make it to college and end up in jail, prison, or a life of gangs?

They end up following their friends and their fatherly figures who half the time aren't there with the family anyways.

So I guess my main point is, and I'm sure this will probably be my last post on here for being banned, but black people in general do not have goals, desires, the will power, or more importantly the encouragement from people they rely upon to get out and obtain a better life.

Even the rappers whom have gotten out, still stay in that lifestyle. So sometimes it's not even a matter of money. It's a matter of, they are use to it, and have no desire to get out of it.
Even though I was expecting something like this, it's still surprising. At least you were right about one thing though. You will be banned. I like to give credit where it's due.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
QuadCore said:
Actually my best friend is black, and he agree with my sentiment on his own race.
14wu13.jpg

QuadCore said:

yeah i just don't get why these people are so demanding, they have the same opportunities as everyone else (is posting in a thread about how the median wealth for single black working women is five dollars)

also what is with the term "african american," i know a south african and he is white (they are very nice chaps, always afraid because their farms were taken over by "those" people, just goes to show you, eh)

also finally where is the WHITE entertainment television, or Ivory magazine?!?! i don't understand why they get their own magazine and tv channel and we don't

so anyway thanks for letting me call your show Rush, god bless you and god bless america, speak the truth brother-man

QuadCore

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
yeah i just don't get why these people are so demanding, they have the same opportunities as everyone else (is posting in a thread about how the median wealth for single black working women is five dollars)

also what is with the term "african american," i know a south african (they are very nice chaps, always afraid because their farms were taken over by "those" people, just goes to show you, eh)

also finally where is the WHITE entertainment television, or Ivory magazine?!?! i don't understand why they get their own magazine and tv channel and we don't

so anyway thanks for letting me call your show Rush, god bless you and god bless america, speak the truth brother-man

What I feel may or may not be the truth. But it is what I observe and have observed from my experiences in life.

Stinkles

QuadCore said:
Blah blah black people choose to be poor and they have the same opportunities etc etc.

Let me explain this really simply:

Black people arrive in the States. They are enslaved. They have no rights. They are lynched, murdered, abused and ignored. They can't get jobs, go to college, enter the political realm.

Italians arrive in the States. They suffer persecution based solely on ethnicity and culture. They adapt, they move up. It takes many decades.

Jews arrive in the States. They suffer persecution based solely on ethnicity and culture. They adapt, they move up. It takes many decades.

Irish arrive in the States. They suffer persecution based solely on ethnicity and culture. They adapt, they move up. It takes many decades.

Scottish arrive in the States. They do sex with your women and help themselves to whatever they like. Carnegie builds some shit. Museums and whatnot.

In America, black people have suffered legal discrimination and apartheid literally up until we landed a man on the moon. If you think an underclass that is legally discriminated against and artificially subdued is the same as the ones above, then you're really fucking naive.

I cannot believe I called that. :lol Actually worse than I expected. Sorry, but your life experience seems to be viewed through a prism of ignorance and idiocy.

QuadCore

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Let me explain this really simply:

Black people arrive in the States. They are enslaved. They have no rights. They are lynched, murdered, abused and ignored. They can't get jobs, go to college, enter the political realm.

Italians arrive in the States. They suffer persecution based solely on ethnicity and culture. They adapt, they move up. It takes many decades.

Jews arrive in the States. They suffer persecution based solely on ethnicity and culture. They adapt, they move up. It takes many decades.

Irish arrive in the States. They suffer persecution based solely on ethnicity and culture. They adapt, they move up. It takes many decades.

Scottish arrive in the States. They do sex with your women and help themselves to whatever they like. Carnegie builds some shit. Museums and whatnot.

In America, black people have suffered legal discrimination and apartheid literally up until we landed a man on the moon. If you think an underclass that is legally discriminated against and artificially subdued is the same as the ones above, then you're really fucking naive.

Why can't black people adapt and step up like all the other immigrant? How is it that Middle Eastern people can come over here and make a good living for themselves when black people who have lived on this land for a very long time can't?

zero_suit

QuadCore said:
Why can't black people adapt and step up like all the other immigrant? How is it that Middle Eastern people can come over here and make a good living for themselves when black people who have lived on this land for a very long time can't?

Did you read anything in his post? Jesus..

Stinkles

QuadCore said:

Can you read? Because we legally retarded their culture, education, opportunities and representation for HUNDREDS OF YEARS.

It ain't hard b.

Black people are "becoming Italians" but it is not an even playing field and never has been.

QuadCore

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Can you read? Because we legally retarded their culture, education, opportunities and representation for HUNDREDS OF YEARS.

It ain't hard b.

Black people are "becoming Italians" but it is not an even playing field and never has been.

Why can some black people make it then? It's all about will power, the desire to achieve, and having a person who pushes you hard (in a good way) as well.

Rur0ni

QuadCore said:
Why can some black people make it then? It's all about will power, the desire to achieve, and having a person who pushes you hard (in a good way) as well.
I know we had a thread somewhere talking about the vicious cycle. Oh and angry black women (that thread about winter boos or something).

harSon

Banned
QuadCore said:

There's nothing worse than the "pick yourself up by the bootstraps" suggestion :lol "If I can do you, then you can do it too!"

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
QuadCore said:
The term African American is the most ridiculous phrase in our English language. Sure they are some people who are from Africa and are now an American, but 99% of the blacks aren't. You are from American, you're an American. Not African American.
You sound like one of those people who want to be non-politically correct just for the sake of being non-politically correct. I find these people more annoying than the overly-politically correct people.

Edit: On second thought, you may just be extremely naive.

QuadCore said:

Protip: Slavery may have ended back in 1863, but government and legally-sponsored institutional racism severely disadvantaging black people was still alive and kicking not 50 years ago. In terms of generations, your parents probably lived through the Civil Rights era (your grandparents almost certainly did).

Don't think that Civil Rights ended racism either. The Tuskegee Syphilis study ended in 1972 - people born back then are only 38 today. As long as we're within living memory of the events, they are always relevant.

QuadCore said:

camsmh.gif

Stinkles

QuadCore said:

Why should black people have to be Rand-ian "exceptionals" to have a modicum of comfort? Fat stupid white people get to feed at the trough because they have more access to it. This magical world you live in where Black people all start in the same lane as whitey must be pretty cool.

QuadCore

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Protip: Slavery may have ended back in 1863, but government and legally-sponsored institutional racism severely disadvantaging black people was still alive and kicking not 50 years ago. In terms of generations, your parents probably lived through the Civil Rights era (your grandparents almost certainly did).

Don't think that Civil Rights ended racism either. The Tuskegee Syphilis study ended in 1972 - people born back then are only 38 today. As long as we're within living memory of the events, they are always relevant.

And yet there have been many cases of black people who have overcome their odds and defeated it.

Davidion

QuadCore said:
You do realize that exceptions don't make the rule, right?

And here I thought the Oprah comment couldn't be topped in this thread.

QuadCore

Banned
Davidion said:
You do realize that exceptions don't make the rule, right?

And here I thought the Oprah comment couldn't be topped in this thread.

There should be no exceptions, but they keep finding them.

ronito

QuadCore said:
And yet there have been many cases of black people who have overcome their odds and defeated it.
there have also been white people who win the lottery. Ergo, every white person can win the lottery but why don't they?! WHY DON'T THEY?! Those lazy asses. Don't get me wrong my best friend is white.

QuadCore said:

Lol. Not only did you go there, you went back for seconds.

harSon

Banned
QuadCore said:

There were also black doctors, surgeons, inventors, scientists, politicians and millionaires in the 19th century, didn't change the fact that all black people were second class citizens at that time.

QuadCore

Banned
ronito said:
there have also been white people who win the lottery. Ergo, every white person can win the lottery but why don't they?! WHY DON'T THEY?! Those lazy asses. Don't get me wrong my best friend is white.

Now you're just trying to start stuff. My point is, is that a person, no matter their sex, race, or whatever, can achieve anything they want to, if they try hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom