• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I want to buy a Kindle

Status
Not open for further replies.
QVT said:
Look at that glare.

How about the brightness on the iPad being so low? You can also get a matte screen protector to minimize glare, though einks great strength is not being back-lit and hence unaffected by glare or external light.

waxer

Mirasol looks cool but I way prefer the middle ground option of a pixel qi screen. Having decent battery life and a vivid lcd when you want it. What is the battery drain of mirasol?

Cheeto

teiresias said:
But, but, but, but, iPad!!!

1124xoo.jpg
This pic is almost as amazing as the density of ipad comments in this kindle thread.

Yagharek

Three months ago when amazon was parading around its Kindle sales records PR, I would have jumped into a thread about it and said "LOL books are better".

BUT - looking at that picture there of the kindle next to an iPad - its the first time I have ever seen a kindle I must admit and goddamn is the screen quality impressive. Seriously, if you were inclined to buy a digital reader - anything with a screen that good is worth considering.

Only issues I can think of are storage space vs cost and type of storage media (I assume solid state memory, but Im going to have a read of its specs myself now).

Makes me want to start having a look around to see what all these e-ink things people are mentioning now.

<is genuinely impressed>

Dagon

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do you people really read that much outside in broad daylight that this is a huge issue?

I read a fair amount but approximately 0.6% of my reading time is spent in direct sunlight. Where are you reading outside, and why? I'm interested.

Dagon said:
I'm sure this has been asked before, but do you people really read that much outside in broad daylight that this is a huge issue?

I read a fair amount but approximately 0.6% of my reading time is spent in direct sunlight. Where are you reading outside, and why? I'm interested.
People like to enjoy the outdoors/nice weather while reading?

Wish I could be on a beach reading right now. I settle for my back deck.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
benita said:
Holy shit at the fucks in this thread recommending the ipad over the Kindle :lol :lol :lol
Pretending that the recommendation of a competing product makes someone a "fuck" speaks much more to you than to others.

Grow up.

Cheeto

Dagon said:

Outside is neat, you should try it more often.

Dagon

Cheeto said:
Outside is neat, you should try it more often.

I love being outside. But when I'm outside, I'm outside doing stuff. I very rarely sit around outside just to read. I'm wondering if a lot of people really do that or if they just say they do.

benita

Banned
RubxQub said:
Pretending that the recommendation of a competing product makes someone a "fuck" speaks much more to you than to others.

Grow up.

Cry me a river. You guys came in and shitted up this thread with an idiotic "recommendation" so while a tad harsh, i'd say the term fits just fine.

Dagon said:
I love being outside. But when I'm outside, I'm outside doing stuff. I very rarely sit around outside just to read. I'm wondering if a lot of people really do that or if they just say they do.
Reading a book outside doesn't count as stuff being done? Interesting.

Cheeto

Dagon said:
You should try it more often then. It's much more relaxing.

xBigDanx

So after I decided on a Kindle, the posts praising the Nook made me reconsider. I went to barnes and noble last night and played around with the nook a bit. It seems very slow to me. I don't know if it was just because it was the display unit and had been abused. But either way, tommorrow I will be the proud owner of a Kindle.

And I had no idea this thread would be this long - I guess I should have expected it considering the ipad just came out.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Dagon said:

You've never seen people reading books in parks, beaches, or poolside?

Shurs

Carlisle said:
So it's like walking into the store, pulling a book off a shelf and reading it for a few hours and putting it back before you leave.

Do people actually do this? If I worked at a book store this type of behavior would annoy me to no end. This hypothetical "customer" needs to get a fucking library card.

benita

Banned
Dagon said:

Have you ever been to a park?

Ever?

Magicked

Dagon said:

I read outside all the time on my front porch. I love it!

And OP, you don't be disappointed with the Kindle.

KingGondo

Banned
xBigDanx said:
So after I decided on a Kindle, the posts praising the Nook made me reconsider. I went to barnes and noble last night and played around with the nook a bit. It seems very slow to me. I don't know if it was just because it was the display unit and had been abused. But either way, tommorrow I will be the proud owner of a Kindle.

And I had no idea this thread would be this long - I guess I should have expected it considering the ipad just came out.
Congrats, you'll love it.

I'd also recommend getting the black leather case and the MightyBright flex light, for night reading.

After reading this thread (and continuing to read on my Kindle), I've definitely softened on my desire for an iPad. It'll be really cool to have someday, but the Kindle is just such a seamless, non-distracting device.

P.S. Make sure to hit up the "What are you reading?" thread to get some recommendations on books to download, quite a few Kindle owners in there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dagon said:

It's not just a problem outdoors.

This is precisely the same problem with laptops these days. Whoever had the 'brilliant' idea to make laptop screens glossy owes everyone a huge apology. Why there's such a hardon for glossy screens among manufacturers is beyond me. I guess there's a technical/cost issue.

But it's annoying as hell. On a default brightness level I frequently have problems with glare with my laptop indoors. The only way to resolve it is to pump brightness up to the max, which drains the battery rather quickly. At a default 'plugged out' level of brightness it's often not comfortably viewable indoors.

I saw recently someone at Westfield in London trying to orientate his laptop in order to actually just read the screen, and the contortions he was getting himself into were hilarious. He eventually backed into a stand with mannequins on it.

hey even though you bought a kindle already and even though you asked advice about buying a Kindle, I still suggest buying an iPad because you know it's expensive and... it's expensive.

Cheeto

gofreak said:
It's not just a problem outdoors.

This is precisely the same problem with laptops these days. Whoever had the 'brilliant' idea to make laptop screens glossy owes everyone a huge apology. Why there's such a hardon for glossy screens among manufacturers is beyond me. I guess there's a technical/cost issue.
I believe the whole glossy movement was an attempt to accommodate privacy concerns of people traveling on business in crowded airports/airplanes and such. Most manufacturers give you an option of glossy or non-glossy now though.

partisan

Neo Member
What about the screen being developed by Pixel Qi (same person who developed the one laptop per child screen)? That sounds promising for the future of e-readers. Has anyone seen it in person?

i'm buying an ipad the second they hit japan, but when it comes to reading novels you'll have to prise my sony PRS-600 from my cold dead hands. it's the perfect size and is readable absolutely everywhere a normal book would be - a big deal when you spend as much time on trains as i do.

there's room for both! i'm sure all the ipad fans would've bought the exact same device at the same price if it didn't have the ibooks thing. kindle/sony reader/nook are limited, yes, but i think that being perfect for reading books is a feature that covers an important part of my life well enough to more than justify the price tag.

Vyer

Has anyone here owned both the Kindle and the Kindle DX? Are the upgrades worth the price increase?

RubxQub

benita said:
Cry me a river. You guys came in and shitted up this thread with an idiotic "recommendation" so while a tad harsh, i'd say the term fits just fine.
No one's crying, and no thread was "shit up" due to the all the iPad recommendations.

The OP asked if he should get a Kindle or something else, the iPad just came out so naturally it's on the tip of everyone's tongue...then the OP says he doesn't want an iPad...so I recommend that he gets the Kindle. Other people were obviously loud and proud with the iPad, and sure, some people probably stepped over the line.

Generalizing people is annoying.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
waxer said:
What is the battery drain of mirasol?
About 18% better than eInk when used the same way (obviously video takes more, but it is still low)

jorma

is now taking requests
RandomVince said:
Three months ago when amazon was parading around its Kindle sales records PR, I would have jumped into a thread about it and said "LOL books are better".

BUT - looking at that picture there of the kindle next to an iPad - its the first time I have ever seen a kindle I must admit and goddamn is the screen quality impressive. Seriously, if you were inclined to buy a digital reader - anything with a screen that good is worth considering.

Only issues I can think of are storage space vs cost and type of storage media (I assume solid state memory, but Im going to have a read of its specs myself now).

Makes me want to start having a look around to see what all these e-ink things people are mentioning now.

<is genuinely impressed>

I agree with very much in this post. I still think books are better though. But if amazon starts to let me download the ebook for free - or at a nominal price - when i buy the actual book i will definately get one of these...

I brace myself for the inevitable 'lol that will never happen' replys but secretly hope for a 'but you already can!' reply

hsukardi

Does Kindle or any ereader on the market allow you to dump a bunch of text into it and just read? I write alot of papers and read alot of papers and text from friends and such. Or do these things only accept proprietary stuff from their e-stores?

RubxQub said:
No one's crying, and no thread was "shit up" due to the all the iPad recommendations.

The OP asked if he should get a Kindle or something else, the iPad just came out so naturally it's on the tip of everyone's tongue...then the OP says he doesn't want an iPad...so I recommend that he gets the Kindle. Other people were obviously loud and proud with the iPad, and sure, some people probably stepped over the line.

Generalizing people is annoying.

The OP didn't ask if he should get something else, he said if he should wait for a potential new kindle

I think the point benita was trying to make is, the that the OPasked about a Kindle not an iPad and it took all of 2 replies for people to mention the incredibly useless but at least it's expensive, iPad!

Einbroch

Banned
Laptop + Kindle > iPad.

If you want to read books, get the Kindle. eInk is very nice and it's a great product. I've probably read more books in the past 4 months with the Kindle than I have in my whole life. Color is lame and overrated.

QVT said:
I guess you could say Kindle's have 45% the functionality of iPads? (That's what your movie has on rottentomatoes, I'm sure you know, but other people might not. Since they didn't see it.)
Cheap shots at Eli in threads totally unrelated to Eli = ignore list. Bye!

hsukardi said:
Does Kindle or any ereader on the market allow you to dump a bunch of text into it and just read? I write alot of papers and read alot of papers and text from friends and such. Or do these things only accept proprietary stuff from their e-stores?
Dude, read their websites. They're easy to find and list everything you could ever want to know in simple English.

Yes.

xBigDanx

jorma said:
I agree with very much in this post. I still think books are better though. But if amazon starts to let me download the ebook for free - or at a nominal price - when i buy the actual book i will definately get one of these...

I brace myself for the inevitable 'lol that will never happen' replys but secretly hope for a 'but you already can!' reply

To be honest, if I had the ability to buy a Kindle and then Amazon would take all the books I had purchased from them in the past 1, 3, 6, ? months and give me them in Kindle format, I would have bought one a long long time ago.

benita

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

This was unwise.

BTW, spooging over the ipad in a thread unrelated to the ipad = ...well you get the gist.

AlexMogil

jorma said:

I already bought the Kindle and I adore the thing, but I *really* wish Amazon would do a free or maybe five dollar ebook download to go with your hardcopy purchase. I read a lot of techie-computery books that usually come with discs and they are not included with an ebook purchase.

But the idea of buying a physical copy for the office and then getting a voucher for an ebook copy to carry around in the laptop bag just seems fair to me.

Gary Whitta said:

What if it was Ebook of Eli?

RubxQub

Jesse Jane said:
The OP didn't ask if he should get something else, he said if he should wait for a potential new kindle

I think the point benita was trying to make is, the that the OPasked about a Kindle not an iPad and it took all of 2 replies for people to mention the incredibly useless but at least it's expensive, iPad!
Actually...that's an amazing point :lol

I just reread the OP and you're 100% correct, there wasn't a single mention of "which eReader" in it.

Wow...NOW I get the frustration with how this thread turned out, and in retrospect find my own replies sheepish.

Zinga

Banned
I want a Kindle too, but have been waiting and waiting until a new one comes out, because I would HATE to be the person that gets caught out by buying a Kindle 2 only to find the new one comes out 2 weeks later.

And for the ipad people, anyone who would read a book on that is just plain ignorant!

LCfiner

which is why it was frustrating to see all the kneejerk iPad responses in here.

here’s another image showing how text reads differently between e-ink and LCD on the iPad. From Ars technica.

kindle-versus-ipad-close.jpg

granted, this is the larger DX, but you can see how smooth and paper like the font looks. the LCD font doesn’t look as sharp.

xBigDanx said:
To be honest, if I had the ability to buy a Kindle and then Amazon would take all the books I had purchased from them in the past 1, 3, 6, ? months and give me them in Kindle format, I would have bought one a long long time ago.
To be honest, if I could get free hardcover copies of all the paperbacks I've bought over the last 1, 3, 6, ? months I would a lot more inclined to buy paperbacks.

LCfiner said:
which is why it was frustrating to see all the kneejerk iPad responses in here.

here’s another image showing how text reads differently between e-ink and LCD on the iPad. From Ars technica.

kindle-versus-ipad-close.jpg

granted, this is the larger DX, but you can see how smooth and paper like the font looks. the LCD font doesn’t look as sharp.

People get insane over their electronics, especially new electronics. You admitted that it's obviously a kneejerk response and OP made the right decision, so no harm. Anyone with sense already knew the Kindle was a better choice as a serious eReader.

Zinga said:
I want a Kindle too, but have been waiting and waiting until a new one comes out, because I would HATE to be the person that gets caught out by buying a Kindle 2 only to find the new one comes out 2 weeks later.

Probably ok in that regard I would think.

CiSTM

Banned
Dagon said:

I don't read often outside but i do use daylight when ever possible. Summer times my curtains/shades are open pretty much 24/7. This alone makes using ipad hard.

hsukardi said:

I believe if you get it to .txt format it will read it, but I'm not 100% sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom