• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I want to buy a Kindle

Status
Not open for further replies.
xBigDanx said:
Made my decision.. going to be getting a Kindle probably today. Thanks guys for the help.
Not to dissuade you, but if you can get a chance to try out the Nook at a B&N it would be worth it. I had a Kindle, loved it, but couldn't stand the organizational structure (or lack thereof) with the Kindle gui. I sold it. The front-end of the Nook is really pleasing. I especially liked the Nook's ability to change fonts, which the Kindle cannot do. One definite caveat of the Nook is that it will discharge the battery faster than a Kindle. But the Nook's user-friendly gui seemed a fair trade for more frequenting recharging.

And good decision. I like my ipad quite a lot. The ibooks are definitely "pretty." But I wouldn't want to spend any lengthy amount of time reading on it. E-ink is still superior in regards to reading comfort.

grumble

wonderkins said:
Not to dissuade you, but if you can get a chance to try out the Nook at a B&N it would be worth it. I had a Kindle, loved it, but couldn't stand the organizational structure (or lack thereof) with the Kindle gui. I sold it. The front-end of the Nook is really pleasing. I especially liked the Nook's ability to change fonts, which the Kindle cannot do. One definite caveat of the Nook is that it will discharge the battery faster than a Kindle. But the Nook's user-friendly gui seemed a fair trade for more frequenting recharging.

And good decision. I like my ipad quite a lot. The ibooks are definitely "pretty." But I wouldn't want to spend any lengthy amount of time reading on it. E-ink is still superior in regards to reading comfort.

Also check out the Sony Reader! It's just as wicked as a Kindle.

Ceres

Banned
grumble said:
Also check out the Sony Reader! It's just as wicked as a Kindle.

Is it? My experience with the store display is that it's extremely slow and takes several seconds to respond.

LCfiner

Not sure how the Sony devices can be as compelling if they dont have the store and 3g built in like the nook or kindle

that's been a killer feature for me

grumble

Ceres said:
Is it? My experience with the store display is that it's extremely slow and takes several seconds to respond.

I haven't had that issue at all, though I was talking more about the hardware. They're all pretty similar as far as I'm concerned (Kindle, Nook, Reader).

I just wanted to make sure that the OP explored all his options before grabbing one.

The Daily Edition does get books wirelessly.

wonderkins said:

I second this as I had a Kindle and returned it and feel more pleased with the Nook with the interface in general and the open formats to the books. Check out a Nook before you make a final decision.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
forgeforsaken said:
Anecdotally, I find that I am reading more now that I have a Kindle than I did before I had one.

also. I've finished 3 novels since I got mine and cracked directly into the 4th.

the saving on space and physical books is really really good. The books didn't lose as much 'value' as I thought they would either.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
i'm reading more since I got my Nook too. it very comfortable to read and getting new books only takes a minute.

You can't go wrong with Kindle or Nook really. I just went with Amazon cause I like them. The interface does suck but I gotta say it doesn't really matter, you're reading a book on it...you're on the interface like 5 minutes total a week in between getting a new book.

mantidor

Why people compare it with the iPad is beyond me, the whole point of e-readers is the e-ink and the fact you can read for long periods of time without wanting to rip your eyes out after 15 minutes, if you people are the new mutant humans who can stand lcd screens for reading books, or even comics, then great for you but that is not the point of the Kindle or similar devices.

With that aside, I've been really wanting an e-reader, but the only thing making me doubt is the price of course, and how open these devices are, if someone sends me a pdf of an article can I easily load it in the Kindle or Nook? if not I'll rather wait for a device to do it. How about those public domain books for example? I should be able to load all of Lovecraft's work without paying a dime, right?

mantidor said:
Why people compare it with the iPad is beyond me, the whole point of e-readers is the e-ink and the fact you can read for long periods of time without wanting to rip your eyes out after 15 minutes, if you people are the new mutant humans who can stand lcd screens for reading books, or even comics, then great for you but that is not the point of the Kindle or similar devices.

With that aside, I've been really wanting an e-reader, but the only thing making me doubt is the price of course, and how open these devices are, if someone sends me a pdf of an article can I easily load it in the Kindle or Nook? if not I'll rather wait for a device to do it. How about those public domain books for example? I should be able to load all of Lovecraft's work without paying a dime, right?

This is where the Nook is a bit better than the Kindle. Both accept PDFs, but as far as I know the Nook converts them better to something readable. Neither is good if they're image based PDFs, but the Nook converts the text pretty well. Also by default, the Nook accepts public domain books and books from other sites. However, for both, you can convert to various formats that each will read. You can strip the DRM off Kindle books and read them on the Nook, but I haven't heard anyone stripping the DRM off B&N books and reading them on the Kindle.

nodle

One question I have does the wireless work as long as you can get a cell signal? Is it carrier specific?

nodle said:
One question I have does the wireless work as long as you can get a cell signal? Is it carrier specific?

Both the Nook and the Kindle use AT&T's 3G network now. Older Kindles used Sprint, but all of them are International versions of the Kindle so they use AT&T. If you're getting a new one, then all you need to know is AT&T. If I recall, the Kindle doesn't have WiFi at all so it's not an option unlike a Nook which does have it.

teiresias

But, but, but, but, iPad!!!

1124xoo.jpg

see5harp

Yea, one thing I don't understand is the need to make every screen in the world glossy for the sake of some contrast. I suppose it depends on where you think you might be using the device. If you are going to be doing a lot of outside reading, iPad may not be the best choice.

Trurl

Banned
teiresias said:
But, but, but, but, iPad!!!
That's a great picture. I haven't actually used a Kindle yet, but I'm worried for the future of e-readers if the public can't appreciate something like e-ink.

It's a shame that Kindles aren't sold in stores where people could actually see it firsthand.

teiresias

Flizzzipper said:
Damn, I just bought a decal like that for my kindle now, looks cool.

Never really liked the decals. I'm too OCD so if the decal is even slightly offset I'll obsess over it! :lol What I would like would be a Kindle in black plastic. That would be awesome, and it would help with perceived contrast on the screen too (that's half the reason people put skins on their kindle).

I'd wait, but like somebody else said, the color on next gen e-readers is not going to be that impressive. What's more interesting is how fast the refresh rates on next gen e-readers will be since according to a few sources they'll be able to play video at a decent speed.

Trurl said:
That's a great picture. I haven't actually used a Kindle yet, but I'm worried for the future of e-readers if the public can't appreciate something like e-ink.

It's a shame that Kindles aren't sold in stores where people could actually see it firsthand.

I've been worried about this since the iPad announcement because I think in many ways Apple will hurt the future and the market rather than help. They'll convince people this is how it should be when there is a better alternative since they have such an influence. E-ink is sorta like Tivo; you don't really get it till you use it.

teiresias said:
Never really liked the decals. I'm too OCD so if the decal is even slightly offset I'll obsess over it! :lol What I would like would be a Kindle in black plastic. That would be awesome, and it would help with perceived contrast on the screen too (that's half the reason people put skins on their kindle).
Yea, I'm definitely going to have that problem if I don't get it on right.

mantidor

Marty Chinn said:
This is where the Nook is a bit better than the Kindle. Both accept PDFs, but as far as I know the Nook converts them better to something readable. Neither is good if they're image based PDFs, but the Nook converts the text pretty well. Also by default, the Nook accepts public domain books and books from other sites. However, for both, you can convert to various formats that each will read. You can strip the DRM off Kindle books and read them on the Nook, but I haven't heard anyone stripping the DRM off B&N books and reading them on the Kindle.

Oh good to hear, now I'm searching all the official pages of the e-readers but I don't see any mention of asian language support. That would definitely seal the deal for me. So far the pocket edition of the sony one looks to me the most attractive, only for the price really, but portability is also a factor.

Marty Chinn said:
I've been worried about this since the iPad announcement because I think in many ways Apple will hurt the future and the market rather than help. They'll convince people this is how it should be when there is a better alternative since they have such an influence. E-ink is sorta like Tivo; you don't really get it till you use it.

Didn't think of it that way, so worst case is one of the e-ink ones will stick around to compete (the anti-apple crowd alone will make sure at least one of them will succeed) and one will not. I mean it's still not certain that the ipad can compete with them but say that it does, is there room for three e-readers in the market?

rinse82

They started preorders for the kobo e-reader here in Canada. It's goin to be distributed through Borders in the States later this summer. I'm considering it due to the low pricepoint.

$149
wifi and Bluetooth connectivity (no 3G)
epub and PDF
no note taking functionality

price is right for me because I'm simply looking for an e-reader that'll get the job done. I was priced out up until now.

Check it out
indigo.ca

Mollymauk

I just checked out a co-worker's Nook, and there is a serious refresh flash each time you change pages.

Is that normal? Does the Kindle do that too?

There should be better tech than e-ink though. The mirasol displays look really good.

Mollymauk said:
I just checked out a co-worker's Nook, and there is a serious refresh flash each time you change pages.

Yes but it is no more annoying than paper flipping over paper. I don't even notice it anymore.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Mollymauk said:

The Kindle refresh is better but it doesn't really matter as it is, as said, very much like turning a page. Except you don't sometimes turn two although sometimes things scare me and I accidentally hit the next page button.

Banned
Zozz said:
iPad fans are just being a bunch of marketing tools right now.

iPad was mentioned 111 times in the first 100 post. The OP wants to buy a Kindle and was asking about a new version of the Kindle.

QVT said:
Here are my feelings on the subject as a Kindle owner instead of an iPad troll:

I suggest buying the Kindle. It's an ebook reader. The iPad is not an ebook reader, and it has all the same problems as reading on any lighted screen. The battery life is given by Apple as ten hours, without wifi some people have been getting what, 12? 13? The Kindle battery life without wifi is somewhere in the neighborhood of two weeks. That's because it only reads books. This is good.

On the subject of new models: You don't need color. They're books. You don't need a touch screen, they're books. I'm actually concerned that they'll cave to pressure from Apple and destroy the product to match the demands of the people who wouldn't be reading books on it anyway.

Oh yeah also it's cheaper. Obviously.

/close thread.

rinse82 said:
They started preorders for the kobo e-reader here in Canada. It's goin to be distributed through Borders in the States later this summer. I'm considering it due to the low pricepoint.

$149
epub and PDF

price is right for me because I'm simply looking for an e-reader that'll get the job done. I was priced out up until now.

Check it out
indigo.ca

I'm definitely keeping an eye out for this one. Seems to do what I need, and the price point is great.

I'd also like to note some e-books on Amazon are being released without DRM. They are rare, but if you see Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited under Product Details, there you go. Hopefully more publishers start doing this.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
rinse82 said:

$149
epub and PDF

Check it out
indigo.ca

The build looks pretty cheap and plasticy, but the price definitely is making me take notice.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, iPad thread is going unmoderated after seeing how this thread turned out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I have a Kindle and a loaner iPad. Both are different things. Serious readers need an eInk device or bluntly, real books. Casual readers or magazine readers could do well with an iPad.

They are not the same. It's like a motorbike and a car.

iPad is infinitely more flexible, but nowhere near as readable for long screeds.

Kindle is nowhere near as flexible, but more comfortable over long periods.

And battery life, even though it's HEROIC on the iPad is better on Kindle, with far quciker charging cycles.

My advice, get a De Thomaso Pantera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom