• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Facebook friends list is complete crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
83 friends on mine.

Most of them are people I went to high school with that I did not HATE. I don't talk to many of them. Some are from my recent job. Rest are good friends that I care about and I use their facebook status updates to keep an eye on some of them. I can see their moods with it and watch for my depresssed friends.

RevoDS

Replicant said:
Interesting. I always wonder if those with 100+ friends actually know each one of them personally or just friend anyone who sent them friend invites/anyone they meet at random party. I guess it's the later?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NeoGAF/38802523270?ref=ts

You know, 100 isn't really that much. I'm at 99 at the moment, and 30 of these are extended family, another 40 are former or current classmates, about 5 are close friends (some people have many times that...), a few coworkers and a bunch of people I've known online for over 3 years from another forum. 100+ is too low of a limit to say they accept anyone. Some people, however, do add just about anyone they've ever met, that's pretty much a fact.

And yeah, unfortunately I do have to scale down on the nerdiness on Facebook...so I end up basically inactive because I have nothing of interest to say. My last status update was in November last year.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Entropia said:
I got a total Taylor Lautner vibe from the pic too!

You get that vibe because that is a photo from a photo-shoot where the photographer was all about that theme.

Not a big fan of Twilight, no. But, I do gotta admit the photo and it's style does have its perks. Those perks are the only reason it is my profile pic.

Skiesofwonder

diunxx said:
I spent the afternoon playing Resident Evil 5 and talking about MvsC3 and other upcoming videogames with 2 of my best friends, feels good man.

I get the feeling your mocking me, but yes that would be nice.

cory

Banned
I have ~200 friends on facebook, and I only talk to people from high school, I rarely use it for my college friends, as I see them every day.

Skiesofwonder

RevoDS said:
And yeah, unfortunately I do have to scale down on the nerdiness on Facebook...so I end up basically inactive because I have nothing of interest to say. My last status update was in November last year.

Thank you. I'm getting tired of doing this. What's the point of having facebook if you can't talk about what you really want to? That's what I was hopping to correct with this thread.

If my best friend and my other good friends weren't living so far away from me, I'd probably would've deleted my fb account by now.

Also, Vox-Pop is probably cyber stalking you at this moment. Hide all your androgynous female friends if you know what's good for them.

web01

Some of the responses to this thread are pretty sad.

GAF tries to believe it is more mature than other internet forums but OP probably would have got a better response on a GameFAQS region board.

mooooose

I have a ton of friends on Facebook. The problem is, I'm a different person at home than I am at school or even outside of school. So I had always tried to combine the two on Facebook. Since I've stopped caring and just posted shit wherever I want, be it comments or status updates, I've gotten tons of responses back.

tl;dr - Don't give a shit and comment people a lot. Don't resist any urge because, at the end of the day, it's a petty little website.
Puddles said:
Do you guys J.O. to the hot girls on your friends lists when they post their spring break/summer pictures?
That's Facebook's selling use.

miyuru

He just wants more gamer friends, that's all.

I think this is pretty stupid though. Go meet some gamer friends IRL. Having NeoGAF people add you probably won't make a huge diff. versus just chatting here on NeoGAF. Unless yeah you can meet some who are in your hometown, and meet their friends, and so forth.

Nerd. ;)

Aselith

web01 said:
Some of the responses to this thread are pretty sad.

GAF tries to believe it is more mature than other internet forums but OP probably would have got a better response on a GameFAQS region board.

Perhaps he should take his business elsewhere then? I'm sure his facebook thread will be greatly missed.

I think if you have significantly more than 150 friends on facebook or wherever there's something wrong with you. You can't possibly care about that many people. I have 123 and I think even that is pretty high. There's a significant amount of them that I don't really care about.

Dunbar's number motherfuckers.

cory

Banned
Wormdundee said:
I think if you have significantly more than 150 friends on facebook or wherever there's something wrong with you. You can't possibly care about that many people. I have 123 and I think even that is pretty high. There's a significant amount of them that I don't really care about.

Dunbar's number motherfuckers.
Um, it depends on how big your school was. I graduated HS with over 1000 people. Less than 1/5 of them are on my Facebook.

Oh, and as for actually knowing your friends, I set up a friends list of people I actually know, and it contains 367 out of my 419 friends (of course some of those are pending requests). When you go to a big high school, a big college, and have various other activities outside of school, you meet a lot of people. My number of friends is actually kind of low for my college. Two of my roommates have in the thousands...

Anyway, if you care about the type of people interacting with you, I would suggest setting up different friends lists (all these GAFfers sending you friend requests should probably get their own list), and then setting the privacy so GAFfers and other people see different things (GAF sees the video gaming stuff, everyone else sees the non-gaming stuff).

Skiesofwonder

zero margin said:
All I got out of the OP is he's a dick. Honestly. Sorry you have soooo many friends you don't "need". Douche.

I would like to think I am not. Like I said, most of the people on my friend's list I am not to close to. That's sadly how facebook works. Lots of people find excuses to add other people to build their friend's list. It's basically like an achievement system A.K.A Xbox 360.

Therefore if you meet someone one time they are probably going to add you. I personally feel like an asshole if I don't accept. So I accept and just ignore them. Thank god for the news feed.

cooljeanius said:
Anyway, if you care about the type of people interacting with you, I would suggest setting up different friends lists (all these GAFfers sending you friend requests should probably get their own list), and then setting the privacy so GAFfers and other people see different things (GAF sees the video gaming stuff, everyone else sees the non-gaming stuff).

Had no idea you could do this. Is it pretty easy and non-time consuming to pull off?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I have 6 facebook friends. 3 of them are family. 1 of them is my sisters friend. I only talk to one friend on facebook (otherwise I wouldn't have it).

Cut down your list considerably or delete your facebook

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I should do this too, for some reason my facebook friends are removing me from their lists. I now have four friends. :(

Aselith

Vox-Pop said:
I should do this too, for some reason my facebook friends are removing me from their lists. I now have four friends. :(

Oh yeah, that reminds me! *removes Vox-Pop on facebook

wRATH2x

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Despite what my tag may imply, I will be doing no such thing. Good life getting your life back once it's done being raped.
But us Nolan lovers got to stick together! :'(

It coo, I got a couple of current or ex gaffers on mine so I'm not forcing anyone.

wRATH2x

Banned
Vox-Pop said:
Like we care.

Anyway, even though I'm a hardcore gamer I don't really talk to my friends about it much. I have a few who are also hardcore gamers but we rarely talk about games unless a new game we want is coming out or if one needs help with a level or something.

And I agree with Costanza somewhat, I hate people who are like "look at me I play games!". But I don't think OP had that as his intention, and it might have not been something he does all the time.

*request sent!*

Replicant

To tell you the truth OP, I have similar problem but I'm fine with it. I mean it'd be nice to know someone who can geek out about something that I like but life doesn't always work out that way. I often friends with people whose interest is completely different from me (ranging from sports/rugby fan, Dr.Who fan, anime fan, family men, etc). We're friends because when we do see each other we talk a lot and for some reason, our interests cross-stream at that point. But on Facebook, that just doesn't translate well.

ampere

Skiesofwonder said:
Honestly? It could of went either way. Sometimes Neogaf is cool with this stuff, other times they are not.

As for the people mocking me for getting "mad" at my friend for calling me a geek. Uh.... I could care less what he thinks. It just made me realize I don't really have any "gaming" friends.
"of" should be "have". Of is a preposition, not a verb.
If you "could" care less, then the statement hasn't clarified anything. You meant to use "couldn't".

Maybe you just need to work on your use of grammar and proper sentence structure to express yourself on facebook to really connect with your friends.

ciaossu said:
"of" should be "have". Of is a preposition, not a verb.
If you "could" care less, then the statement hasn't clarified anything. You meant to use "couldn't".

Maybe you just need to work on your use of grammar and proper sentence structure to express yourself on facebook to really connect with your friends.

Thank God someone got to this before I did. Good work, soldier.

Skiesofwonder

ciaossu said:

Yeah because if I did that then I would be on the same intellectual level of all my other friends on Facebook who always spells correctly and use proper grammar!

Skiesofwonder said:
Yeah because if I did that then I would be on the same intellectual level of all my other friends on Facebook who always spells correctly and use proper grammar!

And not to mention the fact that you'd be able to express yourself as verbosely as all these awesome guys here at NeoGAF, who aren't in fact a bunch of rude assholes (despite this thread indicating the contrary).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
wRATH2x said:
Like we care.

Anyway, even though I'm a hardcore gamer I don't really talk to my friends about it much. I have a few who are also hardcore gamers but we rarely talk about games unless a new game we want is coming out or if one needs help with a level or something.

And I agree with Costanza somewhat, I hate people who are like "look at me I play games!". But I don't think OP had that as his intention, and it might have not been something he does all the time.

*request sent!*
brutal:lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom