• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IMPORT Official MGS Peace Walker Thread of Everything - if you can name it, it's in

So duckroll besides the normal missions are there amazing setpieces that don't follow the standard gameplay, or setpieces that require you to actually fight and such like past MGS games.

Teetris said:
Hey man, you mind elaborating on this? Personally I though MGS4 had the best replay value so am a bit confused here, since you liked MGS3 the most on replay before I'm guessing the two are alike when it comes to that?

I'm with you but I had that discussion with him a long time ago, if I recall correctly he feels that way cause of the last three chapters. I feel MGS4 is easily the most replayable of the series cause it gives you the best gameplay to mess around with.

MiamiWesker said:
So duckroll besides the normal missions are there amazing setpieces that don't follow the standard gameplay, or setpieces that require you to actually fight and such like past MGS games.

If you're talking about a mission where you're always under attack, I think you see one in the final gameplay trailer. There's also interactive cutscenes and an MGS staple event in there which I'd not been expecting, I've watched far too much of this game online so far, roll on June.

Dwayne

Is it possible to stick to the wall and move, and shoot from cover? I wasn't able to do this in the demo (or at least, I didn't figure it out). I read earlier in the thread you could tag enemies, what does that do?

Dwayne said:
Is it possible to stick to the wall and move, and shoot from cover? I wasn't able to do this in the demo (or at least, I didn't figure it out). I read earlier in the thread you could tag enemies, what does that do?

No and no.
You can see how to tag enemies in the demo (hold L when against wall and press R to tag) In the full game, the tag stays over the guards head for a while so you can track him while he's out of sight. The main purpose is for co-op play, as team mates can see your tags.

Dwayne

Graphics Horse said:
No and no.
You can see how to tag enemies in the demo (hold L when against wall and press R to tag) In the full game, the tag stays over the guards head for a while so you can track him while he's out of sight. The main purpose is for co-op play, as team mates can see your tags.

Cheers for that. To be clear, the only things I can do when pressed up against a wall is tap, and tag enemies?

Dwayne said:
Cheers for that. To be clear, the only things I can do when pressed up against a wall is tap, and tag enemies?

I think so, and zoom in on enemies... You can also hang of ledges and shimmy along them, weird that you can't do the same whilst standing!

duckroll said:
It's overall. I don't like to break comparisons down entirely to "story" or "gameplay".

MGS3 definitely has an edge when it comes to being a larger continuously flowing MGS, and has way more in-mission sub-systems, more complex AI, more player moves, etc. The story is larger in scope, with more characters, realtime cutscenes, and it pivotal as the origin story of Big Boss.

PW has the advantage of being much more replayable in bite-sized missions, with a ton more overall options when it comes to equipment and stuff you can bring into missions, it has a much more expanded and complex metagame (unlockables, secrets, stuff to collect, between-mission base management, co-op, achievements, etc), and the awesome shooting mechanics and camera system introduced in MGS4. As for the story, it might not be as large in scope as MGS3, but it holds its own VERY well. Not just as a portable game, but as a MGS game in general. I think fans will be VERY surprised as how awesome the cutscenes are, especially compared to MPO.

Ah, ok. Not so inclined to get it now :p. Maybe if you said it made you weep uncontrollably...

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
rvy said:
Games with longer playable sections have bigger replay value, no?

I've found something new every single time I've replayed through the game. I have save files for the beginning of every chapter, every once in a while I go through them again just to mess around. Chapter 2 and 3 especially are mind blowing in terms of the non-linear problem solving approach they take to level design.

Someone want to make me a .gif avatar of any Peace Walker goodness? I need me anything to help build up more hype while I'm playing through the first one again :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MiamiWesker said:
I'm with you but I had that discussion with him a long time ago, if I recall correctly he feels that way cause of the last three chapters. I feel MGS4 is easily the most replayable of the series cause it gives you the best gameplay to mess around with.
Ah, okay then! Good to know there are more gaffers who agree =)

Shirokun

Just picked this up at Sofmap in Shinjuku(surprisingly cheap). I'm currently waiting as the game installs, but man am I hyped. Of, course I blame all of you for this. :D

For those who have put some time into this, how much will I be missing out on with the net features? I don't really have regular net access, so it will be inconvenient to take advantage of them.

And....finished. See you in a few hours NeoGAF!

Wazzim

Banned
Shirokun said:
Just picked this up at Sofmap in Shinjuku(surprisingly cheap). I'm currently waiting as the game installs, but man am I hyped. Of, course I blame all of you for this. :D

For those who have put some time into this, how much will I be missing out on with the net features? I don't really have regular net access, so it will be inconvenient to take advantage of them.

And....finished. See you in a few hours NeoGAF!
Well, you will be missing the fun multiplayer/Co-op modes, but apart from that you won't miss much of the main game.

Does anyone here have both a UMD copy and CFW? Does your PSP let you play the UMD even if you're on CFW? Not really in the mood to mess around with pandora to switch back and forth from OFW to CFW. :/

Callibretto said:
wow, what rating are they targeting for this game in US. I think PW got lower Cero rating in japan compared to previous mgs, can they really go for Teen rating for PW in US

Rated T for underage.

duckroll

What happened to all the other guys playing the Japanese version? It seems everyone simply disappeared. Am I the only one who beat the game? I thought some of you wanted to try co-op on Ad-Hoc Party. :(

I'm also wondering if anyone knows how to actually use the Vocaloid Edit feature you unlock eventually, because the "tutorials" for any non-essential component in the game all kinda suck. Has anyone managed to develop or unlock advanced Fulton stuff like the Fulton sniper rifle seen in the trailer? I'm missing so many toys and I'm not sure how to get them. :/

SEE BEBPO! I TOLD YOU THIS IS A WASTE OF A THREAD. NO ONE GIVES A FUCK ABOUT JAPANESE METAL GEAR! :p

duckroll

BlazingDarkness said:
fixered :/ i reckon the english PW thread will be pretty barren as well for the most part

No way. Even with the demo, there were at least 3 other people posting, and actual Adhoc Party games could be coordinated. I feel totally betrayed because I was under the assumption based on the first page of the thread that some people were getting the JP game and wanted to Adhoc Party too! :lol

FUCKERS!

Vamphuntr

duckroll said:
No way. Even with the demo, there were at least 3 other people posting, and actual Adhoc Party games could be coordinated. I feel totally betrayed because I was under the assumption based on the first page of the thread that some people were getting the JP game and wanted to Adhoc Party too! :lol

FUCKERS!

Now now, don't go blaming your impulsive purchase on others. You said it yourself, you have zero self control ;P

duckroll

Vamphuntr said:
Now now, don't go blaming your impulsive purchase on others. You said it yourself, you have zero self control ;P

I'm not blaming them. I have well over 20 hours of the game clocked, and counting. It's not like I regret buying it. I'm just pissed that people who SAID they were getting it and were going "man we should totally get ad-hoc party sessions going!" before the game came out, are now totally missing in action! :lol

KTallguy

Banned
Are you yelling at me Duckroll ? :D

I haven't been able to log as many hours as you, but I've been playing co-op on a bunch of missions.
It's unfortunate that only the bosses (so far) are four player. I've been playing with a friend so most of the game has been 2 player. Also I'm only up to the... third "special" boss.

But I'm still down to play!

duckroll

KTallguy said:
Are you yelling at me Duckroll ? :D

I haven't been able to log as many hours as you, but I've been playing co-op on a bunch of missions.
It's unfortunate that only the bosses (so far) are four player. I've been playing with a friend so most of the game has been 2 player. Also I'm only up to the... third "special" boss.

But I'm still down to play!

Well, I would love to play some co-op on certain bosses (and the Monster Hunter missions), so lemme know when you've gotten far enough. Maybe by then Bebpo will have gotten far enough to join us! :lol

KTallguy

Banned
I'll get right on it :lol
The game is great, so I'm barreling through it but trying to savor it at the same time. But man... it's so great. :D

duckroll

Completely finished the story mode finally. Total clear time is about 27 hours. Time to post some detailed thoughts on the game.

Peace Walker is definitely a major evolution in the MGS series. It is clear that in making Peace Walker, Kojima has reflected on what each major entry in the MGS series brought to the table - including Portable Ops. It's very interesting to see what he kept and what he removed from the MGS formula for this title, but ultimately many of the decisions were clearly the right ones. The game is leaner, yet more replayable, and just as entertaining and engaging as previous titles.

I'll get one thing out of the way: story-wise 90% of the cutscenes are comic style like in MPO. But this time they have much better direction and animation. The art is also vastly improved, with obvious contributions by Shinkawa himself in either the actual artwork, or in setting the art direction tone for all the scenes. There are also many interactive elements of the cutscenes, either in the form of allowing the player to move the camera and zoom on elements, or full blown action QTEs. The presentation is top notch, and everyone who enjoyed the cutscenes in MPO will be blown away by the PW ones. Those who didn't enjoy them at all though, well, I doubt it will change your opinion.

The graphics and sound in PW rank among the very best in PSP games. The models are detailed, the environments are well planned and extremely well lit, and there are really good effects and detail in the game. The effects in particular for smoke and explosions are very impressive in the game. The scale in many of the boss encounters are really impressive even by MGS standards.

The audio complements the visuals extremely well, and it really creates a very complete experience for a portable game. The realtime codec is fully voiced if you install the game, and all the sound fx and voices a top rate as expected of a Kojima game. The music is pretty awesome too, and do a really good job of creating the mood for stealth or all out action depending on the mission. The cutscenes also have great tracks and an amazing use of sound to stir emotions and create atmosphere.

Gameplay-wise, PW fits with the pattern expected of MGS5. To me, MGS, MGS3 and PW are entries where Kojima goes back to the basics of a gameplay driven MGS while exploring new ideas and trying to bring completely new perspectives to the core gameplay. MGS2 and MGS4 were more like reactions to the MGS fanbase. For MGS2 there was a deliberate attempt to deceive and misdirect fans of the first game to keep the experience "fresh" and suspenseful. For MGS4, it was clearly an answer to fans demanding answers to the loose ends in the series and for definitive conclusions to dangling mysteries.

Being a portable game, PW takes full advantage of the nature of the system. The game structure is broken into shorter missions, yet retaining the feel of being a true MGS game. The main story missions are pretty much what one would expect from a real MGS game, without much compromise or watering down. In most missions you can sneak or run and gun, but the game rewards you much more for non-violence because of the recruitment aspect. Luckily, you can replay any mission at any time while trying out different play styles or weapons depending on your mood.

The optional missions are definitely an evolution of VR Training missions. Instead of being a simulated VR setting with no bearing on the rest of the game, the extra ops here take place in the real world. They are either training sessions or specialized missions requiring a certain play style (rescue POWs with fulton, escape from an area undetected, recover all items from an area, etc), so basically they're expanded versions of VR Missions in terms of gameplay, but being considered part of the on-going game set in the actual real world, they take on a new form because they feel like you're actually doing missions as a mercenary outfit and expanding your army, base and resources as a result.

I don't really want to go on and on about the various systems in the game and what not, because most of that can be seen in the trailers or in most online previews of the game. But I'll conclude and say that it's really amazing to see how much content they managed to pack into a PSP game. In terms of actual data size, the game isn't any larger than MPO, yet the amount of unique areas, the overall level design, the amount of missions, secrets, unlockables, etc which exists to keep the player occupied during the story and even after beating it... is pretty extensive.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Ducky, slightly spoiler-ish question: Where along the Metal Gear timeline does Peacewalker end? Is there any more story to tell between this and MG1?

duckroll

spindoc said:
Ducky, slightly spoiler-ish question: Where along the Metal Gear timeline does Peacewalker end? Is there any more story to tell between this and MG1?

Why don't you play the game and find out? I don't understand why people want to ask for spoilers. :(

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
Why don't you play the game and find out? I don't understand why people want to ask for spoilers. :(

I'm looking more for a confirmation, we all know how the Big Boss story ends... I ask especially since MGS:pO was originally promoted as the link between MGS3 and MGS1. I don't really want to get burned again on expectations of story. PW can be potentially epic...but I'm worried I'm hoping for too much!

CiSTM

Banned
Most certainly been asked before but i'm currently browsing via mobile phone so i can't browse the whole thread. Is it true that jp-version is cutted ? Should i just wait for uncutted eu release or should i buy the jp-version today.

duckroll

CiSTM said:
Most certainly been asked before but i'm currently browsing via mobile phone so i can't browse the whole thread. Is it true that jp-version is cutted ? Should i just wait for uncutted eu release or should i buy the jp-version today.

Kojima says the JP version is censored. There's supposed to be a scene which was removed, but I can't tell what scene it could have been. Either way, it's probably best to wait for the English version unless you understand Japanese.

Epcott

duckroll said:
Review...

applause.gif

That was beautiful!

And thank you for not providing story spoilers, time-line wise and otherwise.
At 27 hours, it's more than twice as long as MGS and the longest MGS game (and longer than most games I've played recently).

:D

Are there plenty of extra missions to keep you busy for maybe another 10 hours, once story mode is over (single play wise, not ad hoc)?

duckroll

Mind you, I'm not suggesting the game will be 27 hours for everyone. Depending on how much or how little of certain things you do, and how many times you replay missions, it might take more or less time. I would say that for the average MGS player, completing the game will take at least 20 hours. There's definitely 40-50 hours worth of overall content at least, because the game offers a ton of stuff to do and unlock, even after the story is done. For someone who skips all the briefing files, ignores all the extra missions, and just rushes through the story mode, the first time through should still take well over 10 hours.

Top Bottom