• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IMPORT Official MGS Peace Walker Thread of Everything - if you can name it, it's in

duckroll said:
Remember when I said I completed the game? I guess I was wrong! :lol
Was something lost in translation? lol. I hope you aren't ruining your experience by playing the Japanese version (unless of course you are fluent in it).

ARRR I don't really want to ask story questions because I can't play this for a long time, but all I wanted to know is
whether or not they show how/why BB ended up in coma for years

dak1dsk1

Banned
Visually stunning, but I prefer dual-analogue controls. I really hope they **** it to ***. Imagine what a swan-song that would be!

edit. censored on request.

Johnas

dak1dsk1 said:
ban request

You should probably delete your post. Duckroll made it clear multiple times not to do that.

Not trying to backseat mod, just doing you a favor.

More on topic, thanks for the ranking duckroll. Glad to see PW up there with MGS3 and MGS.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Hm? Which rule did I break. I just said, that I would love to play it on PS2. Dunno if it's technically possible though.

Johnas

dak1dsk1 said:
Hm? Which rule did I break. I just said, that I would love to play it on PS2. Dunno if it's technically possible though.

He prohibited port-begging in a couple of other threads. I'd change it if I were you.

trk_rkd

Banned
dak1dsk1 said:
I don't know anyone named 'duckroll', but I changed my post - to make you happy again.

I'll laugh if he bans you after reading your quoted text in other people's messages! Sorry, I'm sure it'll be ok (?)

DUCKROLL IMPRESSIONS PLEASE, DUCKROLL IMPRESSIONS PLEASE

Epcott

Sooo... so Duck thought he finished the game (mentions credits) but realizes he didn't?

:lol You didn't just reveal a "Kojima surprise" (Psycho Mantis MGS, Crazy Colonel MGS2, Sorrow MGS3) did you? I'll hunt you down if you did :lol

You didn't right?

:(

duckroll said:
I completed the game.

Overall:
MGS3 > MGS5 > MGS > MGS4 > MGS2

Replay Value:
MGS5 > MGS3 > MGS > MGS2 > MGS4

now I want to know how the story ranked up. for me, it's something like

MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS4 > MGS2

when I said, story, I meant awesome memorable moment like microwave scene, shagohod chase, any cyborg ninja scene, mgs4 final fist fight. how does PW stacked up to that. I imagine since the cutscenes are done in motion comic style, it may not have as strong impact as other mgs cutscenes. what's your opinion on that?

Epcott said:
Sooo... so Duck thought he finished the game (mentions credits) but realizes he didn't?

:lol You didn't just reveal a "Kojima surprise" (Psycho Mantis MGS, Crazy Colonel MGS2, Sorrow MGS3) did you? I'll hunt you down if you did :lol

You didn't right?

:(

I don't think it's like that, there's a bunch of extra missions available once you've finished the main game, It's probably best to keep away from details as I don't know how much they continue the story, there's one big rumour which sounds too crazy to be true, and possibly isn't, not going to mention it here.

trk_rkd

Banned
Callibretto said:
now I want to know how the story ranked up. for me, it's something like

MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS4 > MGS2

when I said, story, I meant awesome memorable moment like microwave scene, shagohod chase, any cyborg ninja scene, mgs4 final fist fight. how does PW stacked up to that. I imagine since the cutscenes are done in motion comic style, it may not have as strong impact as other mgs cutscenes. what's your opinion on that?

for story i'd rank the series like that too although at its worst moments mgs4 was REALLY, REALLY bad - had by far the lowest low points of the series. but there were quite a lot of fuck awesome moments too, whereas mgs2 really only had a few specatacular bits: opening and end of tanker chapter, near-final cutscene on arsenal gear with snake jumping after the fleeing metal gear ray, final sword fight.

Extra Ops 67 looks rather unique..

Do not look at the link if you don't want anything to be spoiled, It is a plotline based mission, kind of. The pic might also give away how to finish the mission, as I said, do not look!
http://i42.tinypic.com/2rwak2g.jpg

Epcott

Graphics Horse said:
I don't think it's like that, there's a bunch of extra missions available once you've finished the main game, It's probably best to keep away from details as I don't know how much they continue the story, there's one big rumour which sounds too crazy to be true, and possibly isn't, not going to mention it here.

I hope he meant missions :D
Just in case, I'm bailing out of here. It was a good read thus far.

Chittagong

Gold Member
duckroll, on a scale of 1-10, how much did you need to keep using the camera controls during your playthrough? Did it expect lots of precision shooting? Because that's the only thing that I didn't enjoy from the demo.

trk_rkd

Banned
neutralgamer02 said:
: 0

Has anyone played peacewalker on the pspgo?

Yeah played the demo on my mate's, actually plays really well on it. although you use the shoulder buttons quite a bit its not intense enough to for the go! shoulder button "squidginess" to fuck you up, and having the face buttons close together is actually an advantage coz you can roll your thumb over them easily for looking around. i'm still gonna get a 3000 rather than a go! for peacewalker just coz i value my old umd collection but if yr packing a go! i think peacewalker will be fine on it

Kuran

Banned
trk_rkd said:
Yeah played the demo on my mate's, actually plays really well on it. although you use the shoulder buttons quite a bit its not intense enough to for the go! shoulder button "squidginess" to fuck you up, and having the face buttons close together is actually an advantage coz you can roll your thumb over them easily for looking around. i'm still gonna get a 3000 rather than a go! for peacewalker just coz i value my old umd collection but if yr packing a go! i think peacewalker will be fine on it

Did you notice anything about the nub placement? After +60mins of playing on my PSP (PW Demo/MHFU2) my thumb really starts to hurt..

I'd still be interested in a Go if they announce a severe price drop after revealing the PSP2.

Kuran said:
Did you notice anything about the nub placement? After +60mins of playing on my PSP (PW Demo/MHFU2) my thumb really starts to hurt..

It's a much better position, downside is you can't toggle crouch while running because of the distance between that and the dpad.

I'm going to be buying a new PSP 2000/3000 soon, managed to break my old 1000 when trying to clean it. :( I'd only consider a GO if it was cheaper than a normal PSP.

duckroll said:
I completed the game.

Overall:

Replay Value:

Damnit, I don't wanna have to buy this stupid game but will probably end up doing so, I think I'll get it off PSN though because the UMD drive noise on my PSP kinda pisses me off, gotta check if I have 2GB free on the SD Card though.

trk_rkd

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
It's a much better position, downside is you can't toggle crouch while running because of the distance between that and the dpad.

I'm going to be buying a new PSP 2000/3000 soon, managed to break my old 1000 when trying to clean it. :( I'd only consider a GO if it was cheaper than a normal PSP.

you can actually sort of flick your index finger from the left shoulder button out in front of the go! screen and tap down on the dpad while you're running to go into crouch. it is awkward though... you can do the same thing on the normal psp without thinking abut it but it required a bit of concentration with the go. i probably would've got used to it though... and the go! is damn sexy, even if it is a bit overpriced/aforementioned umd issue etc etc

duckroll

CosmicGroinPull said:
I guess that's story-wise ?

It's overall. I don't like to break comparisons down entirely to "story" or "gameplay".

MGS3 definitely has an edge when it comes to being a larger continuously flowing MGS, and has way more in-mission sub-systems, more complex AI, more player moves, etc. The story is larger in scope, with more characters, realtime cutscenes, and it pivotal as the origin story of Big Boss.

PW has the advantage of being much more replayable in bite-sized missions, with a ton more overall options when it comes to equipment and stuff you can bring into missions, it has a much more expanded and complex metagame (unlockables, secrets, stuff to collect, between-mission base management, co-op, achievements, etc), and the awesome shooting mechanics and camera system introduced in MGS4. As for the story, it might not be as large in scope as MGS3, but it holds its own VERY well. Not just as a portable game, but as a MGS game in general. I think fans will be VERY surprised as how awesome the cutscenes are, especially compared to MPO.

infinityBCRT said:
Was something lost in translation? lol. I hope you aren't ruining your experience by playing the Japanese version (unless of course you are fluent in it).

Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned anything at all. Don't want to spoil anything. :(

Chittagong said:
duckroll, on a scale of 1-10, how much did you need to keep using the camera controls during your playthrough? Did it expect lots of precision shooting? Because that's the only thing that I didn't enjoy from the demo.

For me? Probably 8 or 9 out of 10. I used the camera A LOT, but I did in the demo too. I'm really used to the camera controls from the demo, and it works really well. I used the Mk22 for most of the game for normal missions, and MGs/RPGs for vehicle boss missions. Lots of precision aiming, destroying individual parts, headshots, etc. If you don't like to aim, you could try using auto-aim or keeping aim assist on. I turned off aim assist at the start of the game and it worked fine for me.

AranhaHunter said:
Damnit, I don't wanna have to buy this stupid game but will probably end up doing so, I think I'll get it off PSN though because the UMD drive noise on my PSP kinda pisses me off, gotta check if I have 2GB free on the SD Card though.

You need about 2.5 gig free on your card. The game itself is 1355 meg, and you'll probably want to do a 880 meg full install even though it's a download game, to get the realtime codec in missions to be fully voiced. I suspect there is some sort of compression going on with the install, instead of just copying stuff to the stick for faster loading.

Zen

Banned
duckroll said:
Well, GAF might not care about this game judging from the lack of replies, but Japan sure does! 350k units of Peace Walker was sold on the first day in Japan, beating MGS4's 300k first day sales! The fans have spoken, PW = MGS5. :p

People might be confused if this is the OFFICIAL thread, or just an official import thread. I have no idea. If this is the 'official' thread, than you might want to change the title.

Great news, I'd forgotten what the opening sales for MGS4 were and was worried the number was a little low.

trk_rkd said:
you can actually sort of flick your index finger from the left shoulder button out in front of the go! screen and tap down on the dpad while you're running to go into crouch. it is awkward though...

That's true, I've trained my hands to that in some dual shock games, can't remember which now.

Callibretto said:
sorry if old, but this is so cool
bLRpaUCve.jpg

jesus christ look at his balls

where can i buy this

edit: aren't there also some radical action figures of the singing robots too? i thought they were supposed to be collectible statues or something, and i would never buy that, but i can appreciate a good old fashioned action figure!

Erebus

duckroll said:
I completed the game.

Overall:

Replay Value:
You just got me hyped x1000, mostly because I agree completely with your overall ranking (not counting MGS5 obviously).

And out of curiosity, were you playing on a PSP-3000 or PSP Go, duckroll?

trk_rkd

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Can you still customize your weapons like in MGS4? I:E adding scopes, silencers, and greande/shotgun attachments.

In some of the trailers you can see they have a system for toggling between grenade launcher and nomal bullet-y shots on the one rifle (it's with that ak47, forget which trailer). I'm not sure if they have actual customisation. at a guess i'd say that rather than buying parts from a drebin-type character you instead use researchers at mother base to upgrade the guns... when they complete an upgrade it addes a component (silencer, grip, grenade launcher, scope or whatever to the gun)

total guess but i imagine that'd make sense given the design goals of the game...

ezekial45

Banned
trk_rkd said:
In some of the trailers you can see they have a system for toggling between grenade launcher and nomal bullet-y shots on the one rifle (it's with that ak47, forget which trailer). I'm not sure if they have actual customisation. at a guess i'd say that rather than buying parts from a drebin-type character you instead use researchers at mother base to upgrade the guns... when they complete an upgrade it addes a component (silencer, grip, grenade launcher, scope or whatever to the gun)

total guess but i imagine that'd make sense given the design goals of the game...

Yeah, i saw the trailer you're referring to. I'll have to look at it again.

heringer

duckroll said:
For me? Probably 8 or 9 out of 10. I used the camera A LOT, but I did in the demo too. I'm really used to the camera controls from the demo, and it works really well. I used the Mk22 for most of the game for normal missions, and MGs/RPGs for vehicle boss missions. Lots of precision aiming, destroying individual parts, headshots, etc. If you don't like to aim, you could try using auto-aim or keeping aim assist on. I turned off aim assist at the start of the game and it worked fine for me.
Oh noes... :(

heringer

autobzooty said:
Did you play the demo? If so, for how long?

Heavy reliance on the camera controls of Peace Walker is NOT a bad thing.
Yes. I've played for about 4 hours.

I don't mind the camera control, it works fine. What bothers me is the over the soulder aiming. I think it's really bad. Not precise enough and really slow. I hope they improved the sticky aim (not the auto aim mode, but the aim assist for manual shooting) because I'll need it. :(

heringer said:
Yes. I've played for about 4 hours.

I don't mind the camera control, it works fine. What bothers me is the over the soulder aiming. I think it's really bad. Not precise enough and really slow. I hope they improved the sticky aim (not the auto aim mode, but the aim assist for manual shooting) because I'll need it. :(

could be better, but honestly i've logged in about 20-30 hours into the demo (yeah, I know), and I just stopped using the guns that way. Turn on auto-aim for holdups and stick to CQC. That's the best way to play Metal Gear anyways, imo.

i'm curious what duckroll has to say about the game's difficulty. I'll be choosing the hardest one from the start. I love failing at stealth missions and trying again and again until I get it right. I have the patience for it and I find it really rewarding, but I hate it when you can just kill/tranq everyone in your path and proceed that way. i hope it's challenging, and i hope they really put a chokehold on your tranquilizer ammo, but i somewhat doubt it, especially since you can stockpile the stuff at motherbase.

heringer

autobzooty said:
could be better, but honestly i've logged in about 20-30 hours into the demo (yeah, I know), and I just stopped using the guns that way. Turn on auto-aim for holdups and stick to CQC. That's the best way to play Metal Gear anyways, imo.
Oh yeah, I agree. That's why duckroll's post made me worried, since he said the game demands a lot of precision shooting. :(

The biggest problem is that the aim assist is really subtle. If they made it "stickier" the manual shooting would be way more manageable.

heringer said:
Oh yeah, I agree. That's why duckroll's post made me worried, since he said the game demands a lot of precision shooting. :(

The biggest problem is that the aim assist is really subtle. If they made it "stickier" the manual shooting would be way more manageable.

i think it's probably just an issue of your personal playstyle. the metal gear series has always been very flexible and lets you tackle it from any number of angles. duckroll probably says it relies heavily on shooting just because that's the way he prefers to play, whereas I would tell anyone that peace walker had a heavy reliance on CQC (just speaking from the demo, of course).

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
duckroll said:
Replay Value:
Hey man, you mind elaborating on this? Personally I though MGS4 had the best replay value so am a bit confused here, since you liked MGS3 the most on replay before I'm guessing the two are alike when it comes to that?

rvy

Banned
Teetris said:
Hey man, you mind elaborating on this? Personally I though MGS4 had the best replay value so am a bit confused here, since you liked MGS3 the most on replay before I'm guessing the two are alike when it comes to that?
Games with longer playable sections have bigger replay value, no?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
rvy said:
Games with longer playable sections have bigger replay value, no?
Yeah, that used to be my line of thinking too until 4 came along. The game just crams SO much into smaller spacing that you can still do/find new things on your fifth playthrough

tho I have to admit that kind of replay value is not for everyone

Top Bottom