• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IMPORT Official MGS Peace Walker Thread of Everything - if you can name it, it's in

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
duckroll said:
Well, GAF might not care about this game judging from the lack of replies, but Japan sure does! 350k units of Peace Walker was sold on the first day in Japan, beating MGS4's 300k first day sales! The fans have spoken, PW = MGS5. :p

gaf is angry cause the game is not on ps3 , now keep the impressions!

aww to think im buing a japanese version just to have it signed by kojima :/

Kuran

Banned
Accidentally posted this in the other thread...

Is there a knife in this game? I haven't seen it used in CQC in any footage or screenshot... maybe they removed throatcutting to keep the T rating.. but didn't PO and Ac!d have knives?

duckroll

Kuran said:
Accidentally posted this in the other thread...

Is there a knife in this game? I haven't seen it used in CQC in any footage or screenshot... maybe they removed throatcutting to keep the T rating.. but didn't PO and Ac!d have knives?

No knife, but they added interrogation in, which wasn't in the demo. When you grab a soldier, you can press up on the d-pad to make him speak, like in MGS3. A lot of the more physical or graphic violence has definitely been toned down in PW, but the themes and overall tone of the game is still 100% MGS.

mehdi_san

duckroll said:
Well, GAF might not care about this game judging from the lack of replies, but Japan sure does! 350k units of Peace Walker was sold on the first day in Japan, beating MGS4's 300k first day sales! The fans have spoken, PW = MGS5. :p
Nice! Do we have any number about the hardware sales?

DieH@rd

Banned
duckroll said:

What are the chances of reaching a million in JPN?

tzare

wow, 350k is pretty awesome. How many sold MGS4 in its first week? I wonder if it will make into the western charts top 10 when released here.

Spiegel

tzare said:
wow, 350k is pretty awesome. How many sold MGS4 in its first week? I wonder if it will make into the western charts top 10 when released here.

Metal Gear Solid - 316k
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 457k
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 487k
Metal Gear Solid: Portable OPS - 194k
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 476k

trk_rkd

Banned
duckroll said:

Less salesage, more impressions! Gimme something gameplay related to drool over...

tzare

Spiegel said:
Metal Gear Solid - 316k
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 457k
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 487k
Metal Gear Solid: Portable OPS - 194k
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 476k

so that could mean that it may sell +500k this week. That would be great for the series. And for PSP too.

Spiegel

There's a glowing preview of the game on 1UP

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is out in Japan. After a day playing and exploring Snake's new abilities, I'm starting to see that it isn't a side chapter like 2006's Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops -- it's essentially Metal Gear Solid 5.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3179033

tzare said:
so that could mean that it may sell +500k this week. That would be great for the series. And for PSP too.

Too bad Sony is sending the game to die in NA/EU.

tzare

Spiegel said:
There's a glowing preview of the game on 1UP

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3179033

Too bad Sony is sending the game to die in NA/EU.

yeah, i have my doubts about MGSPW performance in europe and NA, and it would be a pitty for such a huge game (i want to read more impressions, but so far it seems the game delviers ). Unless sony has a 'plan' like a psp2 backwards compatible that is :D

trk_rkd

Banned
jett said:
edit: Ah nevermind, seems mostly motion-comic cut-scenes. I guess that's one way to save money. :p

Personally I really like them. Ashley W might not be Shinkawa but I think he's got a genuine respect for this series & a great sense of style... in a general sense the animations make it much more unique, and really suit the handheld format. I thought they were definitely one of the better things about portable ops.

heringer

duckroll said:
No knife, but they added interrogation in, which wasn't in the demo. When you grab a soldier, you can press up on the d-pad to make him speak, like in MGS3. A lot of the more physical or graphic violence has definitely been toned down in PW, but the themes and overall tone of the game is still 100% MGS.
Are there more CQC moves compared to the demo? Or any other moves?

Personally I missed the ability of a crouched CQC.

What about moving while pressed against a wall or on prone?

entremet

I posted this in the conference thread, but this would be a better thread to get an answer:

Would I like this game if I couldn't get into Portable Ops? I really wanted to like MGPO, but the controls, soldier dragging and minimal presentation, at least for an MGS game, wasn't compelling for me to complete it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think the bulk of the reason that people are scared off by this title is that in their minds it combines the controls of Portable Ops with the story of MGS4.

That would scare me off!

duckroll

heringer said:
Are there more CQC moves compared to the demo? Or any other moves?

Personally I missed the ability of a crouched CQC.

What about moving while pressed against a wall or on prone?

Nope. The general controls and abilities are the same. It doesn't really have an impact on the gameplay because it's designed around being more equipment and weapon driven than the survival concept on MGS3 where you had to rely on yourself and sometimes just your body. Peace Walker definitely feels like Snake is no longer a solo operative, but instead the front line leader of a pretty big mercenary outfit.

Even when playing solo, you definitely get a feel that you have a lot more freedom and back up support than any previous MGS game. The length of the missions, the bite-sized modular level design, the management and development of Mother Base and equipment/weapons, the huge range of weapons and toys you can make to aid you on your missions, etc.

It's a very interesting new take for MGS, and a pretty refreshing one. Very well suitable for a portable platform, and at the same time very polished and well designed to remain replayable and fun.

heringer

duckroll said:
Nope. The general controls and abilities are the same. It doesn't really have an impact on the gameplay because it's designed around being more equipment and weapon driven than the survival concept on MGS3 where you had to rely on yourself and sometimes just your body. Peace Walker definitely feels like Snake is no longer a solo operative, but instead the front line leader of a pretty big mercenary outfit.

Even when playing solo, you definitely get a feel that you have a lot more freedom and back up support than any previous MGS game. The length of the missions, the bite-sized modular level design, the management and development of Mother Base and equipment/weapons, the huge range of weapons and toys you can make to aid you on your missions, etc.

It's a very interesting new take for MGS, and a pretty refreshing one. Very well suitable for a portable platform, and at the same time very polished and well designed to remain replayable and fun.
Hum, bit of a shame, but I can live with that.

One more question, do you feel the game is more balanced towards stealth than MGS4?

duckroll

heringer said:
Hum, bit of a shame, but I can live with that.

One more question, do you feel the game is more balanced towards stealth than MGS4?

I think the balance is interesting. The game is absurdly -biased- towards non-aggressive gameplay, such that not killing enemies and capturing them instead whenever you can is heavily encouraged (I'll even say you're pressurized into doing that), and even then capturing enemies without injuring them is even more beneficial because then they do not have to spend time in the infirmary. This means that for most normal missions, having non-lethal weapons is always preferable.

At the same time though, the game does not particularly force the player to stealth the game. Obviously playing the game with good stealth makes the above mentioned much easier to achieve without the risk of having to pull out a rifle and shoot everyone if you get in a really bad situation. At the same time though, it is entirely possible to run and gun or charge through a situation if you want to. Even if you want to do it via non-lethal means, there are tools and stuff which can really help a player recover from being detected and still continuing the mission.

I guess ultimately, the biggest hook for playing the game stealthy is in the scoring system. Each and every mission is rated and ranked like in the demo, and since missions are relatively short compared to beating an entire MGS game to get a rank, this creates a more immediate reflection in the player to want to improve if you get a poor ranking because of alerts. Missions being replayable immediately also mean that players can retry missions over and over until perfecting them if they wish, or just to screw around with different tactics.

Edit: Stop asking me about the story. I will not answer anything about PW's story, cutscenes or plot elements in this thread. When I'm done I'll probably create a story thread to discuss the plot and spoilers and to contain them there. I will probably comment on the quality of the overall story here after I beat it, but not before.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
entrement said:
I posted this in the conference thread, but this would be a better thread to get an answer:

IMO, MPW is pretty much MPO without all the cons, along with considerable improvements. You can definitely see an upgrade in everything that MPO tried and failed. The controls are way better this time, the soldier dragging is zero (just put an item on him and that is) and the missions are more diverse and interesting.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I want this on PS3
ready to installl/transfer to PSP. Then I want to install the game again :lol
. June is almost (lol) here.

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

heringer

duckroll said:
I think the balance is interesting. The game is absurdly -biased- towards non-aggressive gameplay, such that not killing enemies and capturing them instead whenever you can is heavily encouraged (I'll even say you're pressurized into doing that), and even then capturing enemies without injuring them is even more beneficial because then they do not have to spend time in the infirmary. This means that for most normal missions, having non-lethal weapons is always preferable.

At the same time though, the game does not particularly force the player to stealth the game. Obviously playing the game with good stealth makes the above mentioned much easier to achieve without the risk of having to pull out a rifle and shoot everyone if you get in a really bad situation. At the same time though, it is entirely possible to run and gun or charge through a situation if you want to. Even if you want to do it via non-lethal means, there are tools and stuff which can really help a player recover from being detected and still continuing the mission.

I guess ultimately, the biggest hook for playing the game stealthy is in the scoring system. Each and every mission is rated and ranked like in the demo, and since missions are relatively short compared to beating an entire MGS game to get a rank, this creates a more immediate reflection in the player to want to improve if you get a poor ranking because of alerts. Missions being replayable immediately also mean that players can retry missions over and over until perfecting them if they wish, or just to screw around with different tactics.

Edit: Stop asking me about the story. I will not answer anything about PW's story, cutscenes or plot elements in this thread. When I'm done I'll probably create a story thread to discuss the plot and spoilers and to contain them there. I will probably comment on the quality of the overall story here after I beat it, but not before.
Hmmm, I like what I read. :D

lupinko

Full Install is apparently 14-18 minutes or something, but my full install seems to be installing much faster than that! Certainly MS speed varied it is.

lupinko

Probably mentioned already, but the cutscenes (the comic book style ones) have English dialogue bubbles which surprised me really.

duckroll said:
I have the willpower of a tiny kitten faced with a ball of fur. I'm 11 hours into the JP game now. :(

:(

btw if I read your impressions will they contain anything that I'll regret reading? I'd love to hear what you think so far, but I don't wanna know anything too specific.

duckroll said:
and even then capturing enemies without injuring them is even more beneficial because then they do not have to spend time in the infirmary.

That's a very nice touch!

Were you right in saying the whole game map would be connected? I get the feeling there's a few different unconnected branches, not sure.
I saw a scene where a boss approaches, and then it says 'continued next mission' or something like that, that was a little strange, I can see it helps you equip yourself when you know what you're going to be up against though.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Someone tell me if the story delivers man, that's all I need to know

trk_rkd said:
Personally I really like them. Ashley W might not be Shinkawa but I think he's got a genuine respect for this series & a great sense of style... in a general sense the animations make it much more unique, and really suit the handheld format. I thought they were definitely one of the better things about portable ops.
This is the only thing I don't like, I'd honestly rather have ingame cut scenes. I like it from an artistical view, but as a story telling medium in a videogame like MGS? Nahhh

Dude does awesome work tho, so I actually have a slight hope that I get convinced in this one

Wazzim

Banned
For those who still can't believe it: This really is MGS5

It's just plain awesome, 100% worth the money, even as a import.
The cutscenes are pretty cool, it has a unique style just like PO.

trk_rkd

Banned
Duckroll! Have you done any of the vehichle collecting/metal gear collecting stuff we saw in the trailers? Weapon upgrading? How does mother base building work?

Great impressions so far, super pumped for this... will probably be more goty. Am a bit disappointed with gaf for not being more excited than this though. for all its plot problems mgs4 was still a great game (first two acts were some of the best gameplay this gen, hands down), i can't believe mgs4/psp hate would have such a big effect on anticipation for this game.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I'm gonna write everything in spoilers just in case...

In a Spanish forum they say that...

- The main story can be completed in 12 to 15 hours , NOT doing almost any extra op , or extra whatever just the main story missios

- The game can be enjoyed by someone that not knows japanese , they say you will enjoy and understand 85% of the story (?)

- Game is really good but not MGS3 good, maybe its because they dont understand a thing, miss all the codecs and havent done any extra op. :p

duckroll

Will post more detailed thoughts later. But I have to say, even after seeing the ending and credits, the game definitely doesn't feel like it's completely "over". Lots of optional shit, and LOTS of stuff I seem to have missed out completely. Soooo much content. :eek:

hamchan

Are there any unresolved plot lines? In other words are they already setting up the next MGS? Yes or no is fine.

duckroll

hamchan said:
Are there any unresolved plot lines? In other words are they already setting up the next MGS? Yes or no is fine.

Remember when I said I completed the game? I guess I was wrong! :lol

trk_rkd

Banned
duckroll said:
I completed the game.

Overall:
MGS3 > MGS5 > MGS > MGS4 > MGS2

Replay Value:
MGS5 > MGS3 > MGS > MGS2 > MGS4

That's how I'd rank the games too, although I thought MGS4 had better replay value than MGS1 or 2 (just skip the more irritating cutscenes!)

(obviously I haven't played peacewalker yet... and I like the cheeky MGS5)

When you say you haven't finished it yet - are you just reffering to extra ops stuff or is there more plot beyond what you expected?

sorry if old, but this is so cool
bLRpaUCve.jpg

Top Bottom