• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's FY 2016 has officially begun - The Year of NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Emily Rogers ‏@ArcadeGirl64 2m2 minutes ago
Keep an eye on Eurogamer today. They have a two part article on Nintendo's NX coming. Very interesting stuff.

Which is why NateDrake mentioned Eurogamer earlier in the thread, no?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Keep an eye on Eurogamer today. They have a two part article on Nintendo's NX coming. Very interesting stuff.

giphy.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Just read it. I don't want to witness the shitstorm for her if there's no article at all. Still, I'd dare to say today is the time her reputation will be confirmed or sensibly damaged.

Sure sounds awesome! I strongly think there will be at least one joystick though, for reasons!

Plenty of reasons to keep the left stick, but they don't make much use of the right one, a clickable trackpad with feedback ala Steam's would be cool, but could be arranged as a single oval track shaped pad similar to the one on the old PlayStation phone.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Just read it. I don't want to witness the shitstorm for her if there's no article at all. Still, I'd dare to say today is the time her reputation will be confirmed or sensibly damaged.

Come on, she wouldn't have twitted that if she wouldn't have spoken about it with someone from Eurogamer.

This is this person's current project (according to his profile). If this super secret potential platform is the NX and it has memory issues running this game, it doesn't sound good to me at all. But this is just speculation, he could easily be talking about some other platform.

I wouldn't read too much into that. From looking at the discussion he's having with other where they are directing him to use asset bundles it sounds as though he's pretty "green" when it comes to development (No disrespect intended). I'd say that what he's encountering is more likely "gotchas" and little pitfalls (especially since he's working with Unity). It wouldn't be indicative that there are issues with the amount of memory of the device at all.

It's also worth noting that referring to something as "super secret" doesn't necesarrily mean it's a platform we haven't seen. It could just be that his studio doesn't want to reveal they're working on X device whilst they're still testing the waters to see whether that device is viable. I'm just speculating, but based on the images of his game and the fact that it's VRAM troubles, I'd guess they're targeting a mobile/handheld platform. Maybe Vita. Again, no disrespect meant in the slightest but I would be very surprised if they/he had NX dev kits due to not having released many titles previously. I feel at this stage Nintendo would only be giving out dev kits to "trusted" (indie) developers who have a strong history with the company.

That's just my opinion though.

AmyS

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

hmmm.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This relates to the idea that the Tegra X1 in the NX development hardware is apparently actively cooled, with audible fan noise. With that in mind, we can't help but wonder whether X1 is the final hardware we'll see in the NX. Could it actually be a placeholder for Tegra X2?

Makes zero sense for an X1 to have fan noise. It has to be an X2.

So, I'm not going to say it's a hybrid...but...

Granted this is a rumour and in direct contradiction to Iwata's statements about NX

Eradicate

Plenty of reasons to keep the left stick, but they don't make much use of the right one, a clickable trackpad with feedback ala Steam's would be cool, but could be arranged as a single oval track shaped pad similar to the one on the old PlayStation phone.

That's very true! I'd love that kind of pad to be on there!

Rösti;211423299 said:
Sometimes Nintendo has two briefings/conferences/events in conjunction with earnings releases.

News conference

This happens on the day of the earnings release. Intended for reporters.

newsconference5ub5p.png

Financial Results Briefing

This usually happens one day after the earnings release. Intended for institutional investors and securities analysts.

---

These are two separate events. Hence why I find Takashi's wording a bit confusing.

Good points! Hopefully we'll see something soon, or hear more about what sort of plans are actually happening!

Waaaah!

He's guessing about "don't expect much". But he knows there's no press briefing as a fact.

Great point! I'm just chomping at the bit anymore!

I wouldn't read too much into that. From looking at the discussion he's having with other where they are directing him to use asset bundles it sounds as though he's pretty "green" when it comes to development (No disrespect intended). I'd say that what he's encountering is more likely "gotchas" and little pitfalls (especially since he's working with Unity). It wouldn't be indicative that there are issues with the amount of memory of the device at all.

It's also worth noting that referring to something as "super secret" doesn't necesarrily mean it's a platform we haven't seen. It could just be that his studio doesn't want to reveal they're working on X device whilst they're still testing the waters to see whether that device is viable. I'm just speculating, but based on the images of his game and the fact that it's VRAM troubles, I'd guess they're targeting a mobile/handheld platform. Maybe Vita. Again, no disrespect meant in the slightest but I would be very surprised if they/he had NX dev kits due to not having released many titles previously. I feel at this stage Nintendo would only be giving out dev kits to "trusted" (indie) developers who have a strong history with the company.

That's just my opinion though.

I completely agree with you reading it more. There is actually a Vita version planned, so that could be it, maybe!

So, I'm not going to say it's a hybrid...but...

Granted this is a rumour and in direct contradiction to Iwata's statements about NX

It isn't a contradiction though, people have been pushing that narrative way too hard. His answer to the question in 2014 was literally 'I don't know'.
In 2015 post NX announcement he was asked again and gave an even more ambiguous answer about different ways of playing popular in different regions.

People act like if someone correctly guessed about a hybrid back in 2014 and asked Iwata about it then his only available answer would be to give away the details right there.

But GAFfers kept telling me that it's not hybrid!

It isn't a contradiction though, people have been pushing that narrative way too hard. His answer to the question in 2014 was literally 'I don't know'.
In 2015 post reveal he was asked again and gave an even more ambiguous answer about different ways of playing popular in different regions.

Well, you can both give me a helping of crow surprise if this turns out to be true.

I'd actually quite like the NX to be a hybrid, although I may be in a minority here.

AntMurda

Is Emily redeemed now?

Emily and Eurogamer have been paired before though. They both corroborated on the Mother 3 story. I'm guessing they are close allies. It doesn't make Emily credible - just that ERogers and Eurogamer have some sort of connection.

"Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility"

Posting again.

TLZ

Banned
Wohoo two long reads to go through!

Any mention of region free?

EDIT: Nevermind there's another thread.

maxcriden

"Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility"

Posting again.

I assume this would include digital BC, i.e. no Wii U eShop games.

But surely Wii games and everything prior could be run, right? Thinking of Wii and GCN eShop/VC specifically here/

MuchoMalo

Banned
Makes zero sense for an X1 to have fan noise. It has to be an X2.

The Shield TV is actively cooled. The X1 is placeholder for a custom chip, though.

Also:

Emily Rogers ‏@ArcadeGirl64 51m51 minutes ago

Now you can see why my previous article said, "NX is closer to XB1 than PS4...but even that might be stretching it?"

DESTROYA

Not sure how I feel about this if the eurogamer articles are true, playing console games on a portable it better have a decent sized screen bigger and better than the Wii U.

Steph_E.

Assuming Eurogamer is anywhere near the truth, my first reaction to this is: bye bye Nintendo - it was nice knowing you. (I play on home consoles - end of !)

maxcriden

Not sure how I feel about this if the eurogamer articles are true, playing console games on a portable it better have a decent sized screen bigger and better than the Wii U.

I think the idea is the controller for NX console won't have any screen. But, if you mean playing on the portable itself, I imagine it will be 3DSXL size but not too much bigger, they still will need to emphasize portability for the JP market.

Or maybe I'm wrong and it's friggin' huge. It'd surprise me but I can only speculate. :)

What if the console and handheld... come packaged together?

You heard it here first ladies and gentleman. I may not have any inside information like at all so don't take it like I do but at least I'm more credible than 10k and Ideaman, and Emily Rogers and that fictional video game character who has a Gaf account combined. Combined.

So I might have been slightly off on this one but not as much any other guys claiming to know things. And I only pulled this out of my ass.

Persona7

Banned
Miyamoto: Wii U was too expensive, we want something more affordable on the market this time

Kimishima: our next console will be profitable from d1, won't be sold at a loss

Iwata: NX isn't a hybrid, by integrating platforms we are referring to a shared architecture. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase because it will be easier to make a game for more platforms that share the same architecture, they will be like brothers in a family of systems

Reggie: NX is a home console

Aonuma: i'm more invested in the NX development compared to the Wii U. I also don't like the idea of a secondary screen in a home console because it breaks the immersion, that's why i removed gamepad functionalities from our new cross gen Zelda title

AMD: we have more semi custom wins for more upcoming consoles

Nvidia: ...

Emily Rogers: NX is an expensive hybrid made by Nvidia

Gaf: this thing really is a hybrid, isn't it

Hmm...

Rodin

I'm not ruling out anything, that part was a joke. It's just weird to suddendly jump on the hybrid train, only because emily rogers said that, and despite everything else pointing out to the contrary. She was wrong about female Link, full voice acting and possibly Mother 3 not that long ago, she may very well be wrong again. You should just relax and wait. If it really is a "hybrid", we'll see what that means.

Hmm

I'm still not convinced that this is even true, and even if it is, that it's the only console Nintendo is going to release. Just read their statements in the last two years.

Before trying to show me how wrong my reasoning was based on a rumor, i suggest you at least wait for the reveal and hope the hybrid system is the only one they put on the market. Then if that's the case then i'll happily eat crow (happily is a strong word considering i don't like this concept at all, at least not how Eurogamer described it).

Hmm

I'm still not convinced that this is even true, and even if it is, that it's the only console Nintendo is going to release. Just read their statements in the last two years.

Before trying to show me how wrong my reasoning was based on a rumor, i suggest you at least wait for the reveal and hope the hybrid system is the only one they put on the market.

Eurogamer's the one saying it though, presumably from their own sources.There's no reason to doubt them unless a site just as credible says otherwise.

Jubenhimer

Eurogamer's the one saying it though, presumably from their own sources.There's no reason to doubt them unless a site just as credible says otherwise.
But that's not enough. One website that happened to be right once or twice before isn't a confirmation it's a real hybrid. For all we know, it could be a click bait article. Let's reserve judgement until Nintendo ACTUALLY shows us what NX is.

So guys and girls, do you think Nintendo will address the leak or the investors will ask questions concerning it? I guess they have to say something...
We do not comment on rumors, we never did that. Please wait until September when we will officially unveil NX. Thank you and please understand ( laughs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom