• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 confirmed, Game Informer info, Trailer released

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TheSeks said:
I'll believe that when I see it. But honestly, given the current engine for LBP1, I can't see an RPG system working.

Frankly, how the hell are you supposed to build an RPG in a level-by-level gameplay environment like LBP? Doesn't make sense.

If there's a mechanism for connecting levels, you could make them 'screen by screen'...old-school style.

So...get to the edge of one 'screen' (level) : loading : enter next screen/level.

We'll have to see what their connection tool is like. It might be something as simple as a portal or 'door' that you go through to get to another level. If that were the case you might have to contrive to make your screens connect logically, but it'd be doable.

abstract alien said:
So long as the floaty controls are fixed(or even better, tweakable), I'll jump on this go round.

Hopefully, that is what this does.

The pitch for that tool is that you can create controllable characters that control as you want them to. We'll have to see how much tweakability is there. But they offer it as something that would let you create 'the mario jump' - or whatever - and apply it to the protagonist in the level you're making (or share with the world to let them apply it to their characters...i'm sure some people will become known as experts at replicating certain control mechanics from other games...)

Theoretically this means you should be able to make levels that play exactly as you wish, with whatever platforming style you want.

if everything I have bought on psn, my platinum trophy and my friend's payed content goes over I will be there day one as well as many others on release day!

Zen

Banned
So i gess this is another game that's a lock for E3.

jiggle said:
All DLC will transfer over

Great news, hopefully all previous user created levels will as well, even if they're given a different label from the LBP2 levels.

Metalmurphy said:
I never understood the complains about floaty controls...

You know what game also has floaty controls?

marioss.jpg

yeah...

Just sounds like a silly complaint to me

But it had very responsive floaty controls that weren't finicky, and Mario would never start freaking out on the edge of geometry and fall off edges that were slightly curved. If LBP had the same style of floatyness as Mario Bros (or something half way in between that and what they were in LBP), than it would have been a a bigger success, but everything to do with Sackboy was extremely finicky and definitely not casual friendly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it would be kind of neat if they allowed you to limit the amount of planes a player character can enter.

(unless that already got patched into LBP)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Rez said:
it would be kind of neat if they allowed you to limit the amount of planes a player character can enter.

(unless that already got patched into LBP)

It was never put in as a switch...but you can manually contrive that if you want. There's nothing to stop you making a level that operates on one plane.

A switch mightn't go amiss to make it easier though.

I would like to see also, perhaps, a camera option to 'lock' the camera to the current plane. Meaning, other planes aren't visible, just the current one. Ones behind or on top of the current would be 'dimmed out', perhaps in a controllable way. That would be particularly useful for certain types of game that have a top-down orientation (e.g. an RPG where you can go 'underground' etc. by going into the screen, into one of the back layers...in that case you don't want the layers on top visible).

Withnail

I thought it was a bit weird that a US magazine had the scoop on an SCEE game, but apparently there's a big LBP2 cover story in the new Edge next week. The next Game Informer is also officially due out next week but it has gone out early to some subscribers.

Also not sure if this has been posted already but apparently there's an online embargo on the game that ends on Monday. You could probably deduce as much from Mm's tweet.

Linkified

So if we can create RPGs and in the OP it stated they had a RTS created with his game. Does this mean we can specify it so we could create an over the nead sackboy game with sackboy in an over the head perspective rather than the straight line like system currently?

AndyD

aka andydumi
gofreak said:
It was never put in as a switch...but you can manually contrive that if you want. There's nothing to stop you making a level that operates on one plane.

A switch mightn't go amiss to make it easier though.

I would like to see also, perhaps, a camera option to 'lock' the camera to the current plane. Meaning, other planes aren't visible, just the current one. Ones behind or on top of the current would be 'dimmed out', perhaps in a controllable way. That would be particularly useful for certain types of game that have a top-down orientation (e.g. an RPG where you can go 'underground' etc. by going into the screen, into one of the back layers...in that case you don't want the layers on top visible).

It could also triple the amount of "game" in one level because you can build entire playable layers then switch between them and only have the current one visible. It would also add to the exploration sense some people want. As you can be forced into one layer based on your game choices.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Linkified said:
So if we can create RPGs and in the OP it stated they had a RTS created with his game. Does this mean we can specify it so we could create an over the nead sackboy game with sackboy in an over the head perspective rather than the straight line like system currently?

I'm not sure if you can switch perspective or if its necessary given the tools described.

Think of it this way... make a sackbot that moves up down, left right with the analog stick. Then make all your art and objects such that it appears you're looking at them from a top-down perspective. Hey presto...a top-down game.

The camera just becomes a scrollable 2D camera - whether it's looking down on something or side-on will depend on the sackbot character employed, the controls, and the arrangement of the environment and art in the level.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AndyD said:
It could also triple the amount of "game" in one level because you can build entire playable layers then switch between them and only have the current one visible. It would also add to the exploration sense some people want. As you can be forced into one layer based on your game choices.

It'd be handy also, I guess, if the mode isolated lighting effects and other global effects to the currently active layer.

So one layer could have bright daylight for 'outside', the next layer down, dark settings for underground or whatever.

At the moment global effects are universal regardless of layer. Although maybe there's a way now to rig changes to layer switches? Maybe someone's been clever enough to come up with that :) But wrapping it up as part of a 'layer isolation' option probably makes sense.

Linkified

gofreak said:
I'm not sure if you can switch perspective or if its necessary given the tools described.

Think of it this way... make a sackbot that moves up down, left right with the analog stick. Then make all your art and objects such that it appears you're looking at them from a top-down perspective. Hey presto...a top-down game.

The camera just becomes a scrollable 2D camera - whether it's looking down on something or side-on will depend on the sackbot character employed, the controls, and the arrangement of the environment and art in the level.

I suppose, I really want to see if they took the way Kodu did programmable AI though. Because that could give the depth and was simple enough for anyone to understand.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Speevy said:
I don't think they can change the controls AND let you import all your content.

Where's the incompatibility?

The suggestion's not that you can change controls willy-nilly, as a player, whenever you like. The creator of the level can create a character with custom controls for use in his levels.

So if you wanna play an old LBP1 level in LBP2, it'd just play like normal. You wouldn't be able to customise your own controls in that level. If it's 'copyable' though, you could copy the level, edit it with new controls, and then republish as a new level.

Linkified said:
I suppose, I really want to see if they took the way Kodu did programmable AI though. Because that could give the depth and was simple enough for anyone to understand.

I'm very curious to see the sackbot interface too. And the new logic/microchip interfaces. It sounds like they can all link together too.

odhiex

Ow man, i'm so pumped with improvements that they are making in LBP2. Can't wait for the next details. :D

With these significant gameplay mechanics, I'm pretty sure that LBP3 (maybe another 2-3 years later) we qiute possibly will get the supreme videogame platform. No need to buy other games anymore :lol

the-one-ring-3d-screensaver.jpg

One game to rule them all :lol

I have a feeling that dlc compatibility is only the costumes and stickers. water and gun will be included as standard in LBP2. I don't think old level will be compatible with LBP2 at all if they change the creating tool that much.

didn't we already have info that they remove magic mouth and add in a new tool to replace that. well if that's true, level compatibility looks unlikely

netguy503

Callibretto said:
I have a feeling that dlc compatibility is only the costumes and stickers. water and gun will be included as standard in LBP2. I don't think old level will be compatible with LBP2 at all if they change the creating tool that much.

didn't we already have info that they remove magic mouth and add in a new tool to replace that. well if that's true, level compatibility looks unlikely

as long as servers stay up for the old game, I'm fine with that.

I would love to try and make a game like 3D Dot Heroes but as a beat em up like Double Dragon. Would I be able to do that? All with opening scenes with the main characters girl getting punched in the gut?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Callibretto said:

I dont think they will remove magic mouth, just add something else to make text easier to work with. No reason not to leave magic mouth in, as it can be very useful for some things.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Host Samurai said:
I would love to try and make a game like 3D Dot Heroes but as a beat em up like Double Dragon.

3D Dot Game Heroes = 3D

LBP = '2.5D', 2D with layers

So something more like Double Dragon as is might be more suitable...will depend on Sackbot customisation too I suppose i.e. if you can make a sackbot that fights (beyond slapping at least ;)).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DMPrince said:
i would love it where it allows me to freely move between layers. at least not have it snap objects to certain layers.

You mean arbitrary 3Dness up to a certain depth? Able to place objects and move sackboy in and out to arbitrary points of depth within the scene?

That could be tricky. At least with layers you know everything at set points is at the same depth. If you had arbitrary 'layers' at various depths it could get confusing for a lot of people playing re. where exactly they are relative to something else in the scene. Stereo 3D could help with that...but...you can't really rely on everyone having that advantage.

I like that they're encouraging retro game remakes, but will they still be taking them all down due to copyrights (or do you simply have to not have the copyrighted/reserved information in the title/description)?

And I'm bad at reading in between the lines...does this give any indication of creating 3D platforming possible?

Epcott

Hmmm,

When they say RPG creation, I wonder if they mean "top down" viewpoint like old traditional RPGs

or fully 3D like 3D Gamedot Heroes

or the typical 2.5D with 3 planes like original LBP levels?

Zen said:
But it had very responsive floaty controls that weren't finicky, and Mario would never start freaking out on the edge of geometry and fall off edges that were slightly curved. If LBP had the same style of floatyness as Mario Bros (or something half way in between that and what they were in LBP), than it would have been a a bigger success, but everything to do with Sackboy was extremely finicky and definitely not casual friendly.

this...it just has a floaty jump mechanic...if they can fix this it will be a *huge* improvement...improving the layer detection would be nice too

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jetsetfluken said:
I like that they're encouraging retro game remakes, but will they still be taking them all down due to copyrights (or do you simply have to not have the copyrighted/reserved information in the title/description)?

There are loads of very 'close' homages, artistically, to various games out there. I wouldn't worry.

jetsetfluken said:
And I'm bad at reading in between the lines...does this give any indication of creating 3D platforming possible?

Epcott said:
Hmmm,

When they say RPG creation, I wonder if they mean "top down" viewpoint like old traditional RPGs

or fully 3D like 3D Gamedot Heroes

or the typical 2.5D with 3 planes like original LBP levels?

It's still '2.5D'. As I said earlier, the new sackbot tools mean that you could treat the camera as if it were looking down on a scene rather than looking at it side on. Just make sure the controls and look of your level are consistent with that premise.

Stampy

So much about not being backwards compatible. :)

Spaff_Molecule:

"We are making LBP 2, it's official as you've seen, and you'll get to see lots more about it on Monday!
I can't tell you more right now than you can find on the internets I'm afraid, HOWEVER! Because I see a lot of panic stricken people on here, I just wanted to let you know a few things to stop the panic!

Magic mouths are not gone, Basically nothing is gone, only improved upon or added to - how else would this game be totally backwards compatible with everything that you have already made, played and bought

I've said Enough! - See you on Monday "

Baha

So would I be correct in assuming that they're introducing both a top-down view & first person perspective option in LBP2? Both would make a lot of the new features make sense imo since they're no longer restricting the level creator to platformers anymore.

jiggles

Banned
Thinking about it some more, Move support could be the most exciting thing about the game. Being able to reach into the game and pick up objects like in that tech demo, coupled with being able to paint objects, design stickers and draw out objects would be simply amazing.

Like, hardware shifting amazing.

Triple U

Banned
jigglywiggly said:
Thinking about it some more, Move support could be the most exciting thing about the game. Being able to reach into the game and pick up objects like in that tech demo, coupled with being able to paint objects, design stickers and draw out objects would be simply amazing.

It would be nice if shit like this moved hardware but I guess its still too niche.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Stampy said:

Spaff_Molecule:

"We are making LBP 2, it's official as you've seen, and you'll get to see lots more about it on Monday!
I can't tell you more right now than you can find on the internets I'm afraid, HOWEVER! Because I see a lot of panic stricken people on here, I just wanted to let you know a few things to stop the panic!

Magic mouths are not gone, Basically nothing is gone, only improved upon or added to - how else would this game be totally backwards compatible with everything that you have already made, played and bought

:)

Madman

Stampy said:

Spaff_Molecule:

I am so fucking hyped for this. That's just awesome news.

The only thing that I doubt they added but I really want is a mass tweaking capability. I want a list of every object, piston, bolt, etc. so that I can tweak/go to anything I want at any time.

Even without this, it sounds like an amazing sequel, and one that was needed after water came out and there were the framerate issues with it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Baha said:
So would I be correct in assuming that they're introducing both a top-down view & first person perspective option in LBP2? Both would make a lot of the new features make sense imo since they're no longer restricting the level creator to platformers anymore.

Nothing like that has been suggested so far. Only ability to manipulate NPCs and player characters in different ways allowing it to feel like top down.

I imagine that's the kind of thing they will reserve for E3. Announce some games now, then at E3 show how Move fits into all these new games.

Linkified

gofreak said:
It's still '2.5D'. As I said earlier, the new sackbot tools mean that you could treat the camera as if it were looking down on a scene rather than looking at it side on. Just make sure the controls and look of your level are consistent with that premise.

Why would it still be 2.5D though surely, depending on the way the game engine handles it it could have a simple switch in the code where if you select a 3D game / or 2.5D it changes the perspective and or the way the plane structure is set up.

Withnail

With the full backwards compatibility, alleged release date this year, and apparent change in stance on sequels, I'm starting to suspect that Sony convinced Mm to roll all the updates they had planned and were working on for LBP into a new disc release and label it as a sequel.

Not that this is a bad thing by the way, I'm delighted by this news.

Madman

Withnail said:
With the full backwards compatibility, alleged release date this year, and apparent change in stance on sequels, I'm starting to suspect that Sony convinced Mm to roll all the updates they had planned and were working on for LBP into a new disc release and label it as a sequel.

Not that this is a bad thing by the way, I'm delighted by this news.
It was obvious when water was released that there needed to be an update to the graphics engine. I'm hoping that the thermometer gets improved as well, since there were concepts that I wanted to do that were just too taxing for LBP.

Top Bottom