• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton fights a cough on stage for nearly 4 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
as a mid twenties male who's had these a few times a year since he can remember (it feeling like there's a hair in your throat), i guess i'malreadydead.png

Yes that's it.

It can't be ironic shitposting.

Memes are the trojan horse used by the alt-right to sow the racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic seeds in America.

The white utopia that claims every part of the serious alt-right hacker group 4chan is in very danger.

In an essence, 4chan is the modern day Illuminati of the alt-right.

Together through innocuous means must the alt-right hackers wave their flags in unity, printed on them the bold, white impact font formatted words:"Dyin' Hillary". Others contain memes of Trump seemingly want to have sex with his daughter, all as an attempt to help win the ever present incest supporters of the internet.

Or, there could be an easier explanation.

I love this post

ZV1cxn_zpsyuqe33vt.gif

Ben Carson laughed when he was shown this video to give his expert opinion if anything could be wrong with her neurologically.

Here's hoping this is her Dukakis Tank moment.

The discussion about her health clearly isn't going away anytime soon.

You mean, utterly inconsequential moment that is somehow inexplicably held against someone's character? Dukakis looked silly in a helmet. Howard Dean yelled a little too loudly to be heard over a cheering crowd. Were these really things that should have ended their political ambitions?

Nerrel

I've had embarrassing coughing fits like that before in the midst of a mild cold. And when someone's touring the country under a lot of stress, it's not far fetched that someone would catch a cold.

But the comments have a lot of colorful alternate theories. Also, for the love of god, don't read the comments.

Optics is such bullshit.

The same people who talk about optics are the ones shaping the story...

Optics is quickly becoming code word for "my baseless speculation about X is real because I believe others will think so too!"

We can't just throw around unsubstantiated claims and then wave away any responsibility to make a convincing argument "because optix!"

Link

The Autumn Wind
I said keel over, not cough. But what exactly is the point of this anyways? That Trump should win by default because he's not caught on camera coughing sometimes? I don't get it. Enlighten me.
Someone should use that video from the primary debate where Trump is making all those weird expressions and ask if he's having a seizure/mini stroke. Let's see what the reactions are like.

Optics is quickly becoming code word for "my baseless speculation about X is real because I believe others will think so too!"

We can't just throw around unsubstantiated claims and then wave away any responsibility to make a convincing argument "because optix!"

This is why I don't understand how the left is even viable in this country. Every fucking thing they do, they worry about how conservatives will react or criticize it. While the right doesn't give a damn how they look.

They had a clip of this on the news and even when they seemingly moved on to the real coverage of the story, they kept showing they coughing bit as they talked.

Fuckin hell people. Sometimes you cough. Shit goes down that fucko pipe and you are rekt for a while.

I hate American politics (maybe all politics is shit, but I can at least pretend other countries arent so fucking dumb and shallow)

Coughing by itself isn't an issue, but nothing happens within a vacuum. The biggest political news story for the past week has been the discussion over Hillary's health. This was terrible timing for something like this to happen to her, as its just going to put more fuel on that fire and take media attention away from whatever politically damaging antics Trump may currently be engaging in.

We're a very superficial society. Appearance and presentation matter, even moreso than policy much of the time. Mike Dukakis looking like Dark Helmet riding a tank, the Dean Scream, John Kerry windsurfing, Obama stuttering like crazy during the first debate against Romney, none of these things should have really mattered, but in the end they did, and Hillary having a huge coughing fit fresh off a week of accusations about her health simply looks terrible, and is going to cast seeds of doubt in the minds of millions of voters.

And as for your last point, the media latching onto this kind of silly stuff isn't even limited to American politics, or does no one remember the Ed Miliband bacon sandwich?

DpadD

Banned
You guys gotta admit, that did not look presidential at all.

It wasn't her fault or anything... Sure... Everyone has coughing fits...

It's just a shame it had to happen while giving a public speech.

Coughing by itself isn't an issue, but nothing happens within a vacuum. The biggest political news story for the past week has been the discussion over Hillary's health. This was terrible timing for something like this to happen to her, as its just going to put more fuel on that fire and take media attention away from whatever politically damaging antics Trump may currently be engaging in.

We're a very superficial society. Appearance and presentation matter, even moreso than policy much of the time. Mike Dukakis looking like Dark Helmet riding a tank, the Dean Scream, John Kerry windsurfing, Obama stuttering like crazy during the first debate against Romney, none of these things should have really mattered, but in the end they did, and Hillary having a huge coughing fit fresh off a week of accusations about her health simply looks terrible, and is going to cast seeds of doubt in the minds of millions of voters.

And as for your last point, the media latching onto this kind of silly stuff isn't even limited to American politics, or does no one remember the Ed Miliband bacon sandwich?

How is the media even paying attention to this? It was a brief mention today. Your wishful thinking boner is taking blood from your head.

Luckily, you just have to take one look at her opponent.

Screw optics.

She's presidential because of her work ethic, her drive, her experience, etc...

I don't have to admit shit.

213372bu

Banned
Optics is such bullshit.

The same people who talk about optics are the ones shaping the story...
Screw optics.

She's presidential because of her work ethic, her drive, her experience, etc...

I don't have to admit shit.
On a thread regarding a democratic political candidate being unhappy with harassment among his more radical supporters:
It's optics man. Sanders has bern dogged for months about not really talking about and thus appealing to women and minorities so then combine that with the fact that only now is he speaking out against harassment of those same groups. It doesn't paint a good picture.
dbd57bcbb3fff7245025a39061012200.png

When you spend enough time on r/donald, you convince yourself pepe memes and conspiracy theories are what are driving swing voters in Ohio. Yes, millions of voters are seeing this and thinking "well, I thought Trump was a bigot and I'm scared to give him nuclear codes but then I saw a clip of Clinton coughing and it has turned my world upside down."

If you believe that line of thinking, you are a fucking moron.

Ape

Banned
She handled that poorly. If she can't handle a cough on stage then she has no chance of handling South Korea, Putin, or the Middle East.

Mael

She practically died on stage and we're just supposed to move passed it?
Never seen a bad cough?
e: as Debirudog said, FDR was elected more times than most, he had polio and his inability to stand on his own didn't mean Joseph fucking Staline thought he had someone weak in front of him.
Only in between the constant re-litigation of the primary between the two camps here.

So it's primary BS type here?

No one's forcing you to talk about it.

I'm just trying to parse the jokes from real discussion.
This is so far past parody line it's not even funny.

Holmes

She had a coughing fit earlier this year while giving a speech in Harlem. It was from a cold she caught from Sanders at a recent debate, who himself was coughing quite a bit during said debate. Politicians: they're just like us. They cough!

So it's primary BS type here?

It's a fucking shitshow in here, that's what it is. You got concerned Clinton supporters worrying about every micro-event in this campaign, you got bereaved Sanders supporters in here airing their grievances as they seemingly do in every thread about Clinton, and you finally got the ever elusive Trump supporters showing up because the other 99% of threads they avoid are about indefensible shit Trump has done.

Meanwhile, you have those of us the middle who are kind concerned that we have 65 days to go and people continue to underestimate the threat of Trump winning.

Mael

It's a fucking shitshow in here, that's what it is. You got concerned Clinton supporters worrying about every micro-event in this campaign, you got bereaved Sanders supporters in here airing their grievances as they seemingly do in every thread about Clinton, and you finally got the ever elusive Trump supporters showing up because the other 99% of threads they avoid are about indefensible shit Trump has done.

Meanwhile, you have those of us the middle who are kind concerned that we have 65 days to go and people continue to underestimate the threat of Trump winning.

Thanks for the resume,
add some gifs and you could get some work as kind of a Mandrake lite thing :lol
I guess we just have to suffer through 2 more months of this shit and it'll be over regardless.
Trump could certainly win but he clearly not trying to so I don't see why I should have more faith in it than he does.

TBH. I take back thinking she's going to cough at the debates. She's going to have a laughing fit instead and everyone's gonna think it's a seizure.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
My boy Timmy K had a lozenge in his pocket ready but decided to take it for himself when someone covered Hillary. What a VP though.

rjinaz

how many people here ever experienced an asthma attack? seriously?

Asthma is a disease. So probably not many. pneumonia or bronchitis, probably quite a few.
I have asthma and it sucks, and it never goes away.

But yeah I agree, people cough, especially older folks. My step dad is perfectly healthy and active, coughs all the damn time. He's only 60.

.JayZii

Banned

It clearly has its roots in marketing departments, so... yeah.

Mael

Great your gotcha point is still worthless given we're talking about a fucking cough here.

To Trump people, issues that minorities face are just equally worthwhile as a cough though.
You could see how they get confused.
I don't care if 213372bu is a trump supporter, this was too good to pass on... like jokes on Hillary's health apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom