• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Official 4K Tech Video

Apparently the Asari is also comedic relief I guess?

7nNbuI3gstyAE.gif

From the smart scientist to the klutz freelancer with a heart of gold™

The only thing bothering me about the asari is that escape part in which she channeled anime girl running, reminded me of that Yuffie rip-off from FFXV

She's missing a bread in her mouth and if you want to go all the way, a schoolgirl outfit. "Gotta run, I'm late for intergalactic school!"

Well for starters the animations look just as bad as previous Bioware games. By that I mean the animations are overly stiff at certain segments such as when you use the jetpack boost and then over-done in other segments such as the Asari almost tipping over from the explosion. The facial animations also look somewhat janky which is again a classic Bioware trademark at this point.

There's then the art direction with the heavy emphasis on neon green lighting as seen in the Inquisition rifts. Not to mention the angular geometry as seen in Inquisition also makes a return here for the architecture so it comes off as fairly fake even for an alien structure. It's more of a modern take on alien architecture than something like in the original ME trilogy which had more organic looking alien locations. The location is supposed to be overgrown as seen by the plants but instead comes off as pristine compared to Ilos for example.

Not to mention the clothing design of the Asari for example is something out of Inquisition, not that Mass Effect was ever particularly good at being consistent about that.
Bioware's never been the best at animations but I feel like they're improving with this game. In cany case...some of the artistic connections you're making to DAI seem like heavy reaches to me. I'm not understanding how the architecture can come off as fake when, well, it's an alien structure. Who determines what alien structures looks like lol? As a Remnant vault, it's meant to have an industrial and sleeker look.

I don't really even know how to respond to the clothes comment. Looks like clothes. I really feel like connections are being made to DAI where there are none.

Apparently the Asari is also comedic relief I guess?

7nNbuI3gstyAE.gif
Her personality is more of a playful and carefree squadmember.

Mediking

I keep looking at that Asari and I can't get over how bad her design is.

Between her and Dude Ryder, it looks like Bioware needs to step up their game. Because it doesn't even seem like they're playing right now.

I don't think the Asari looks that bad and luckily... we can change outfits so hopefully she has much more cool outfits. But yeah... default Ryder is really bad.

Lime

How do you get "Inquisition-vibe" from 3mn video a guy walking around ? I don't get it, there's like zero gameplay aside from some jetpacking and scanning a plant.

Jarmel expanded upon it, but the green neon lighting and the angular obsidian architecture did bring associations to Inquisition, I think (and the same graphics technology of course :p)

Well for starters the animations look just as bad as previous Bioware games. By that I mean the animations are overly stiff at certain segments such as when you use the jetpack boost and then over-done in other segments such as the Asari almost tipping over from the explosion. The facial animations also look somewhat janky which is again a classic Bioware trademark at this point.

There's then the art direction with the heavy emphasis on neon green lighting as seen in the Inquisition rifts. Not to mention the angular geometry as seen in Inquisition also makes a return here for the architecture so it comes off as fairly fake even for an alien structure. It's more of a modern take on alien architecture than something like in the original ME trilogy which had more organic looking alien locations. The location is supposed to be overgrown as seen by the plants but instead comes off as pristine compared to Ilos for example.

Not to mention the clothing design of the Asari for example is something out of Inquisition, not that Mass Effect was ever particularly good at being consistent about that.

I keep looking at that Asari and I can't get over how bad her design is.

Between her and Dude Ryder, it looks like Bioware needs to step up their game. Because it doesn't even seem like they're playing right now.

Are you thinking about expounding on what exactly is bad about her "design"? Or are you just dressing your "I don't like this" comment in a semblance of worthwhile criticism? Genuine question, because I can't find anything that would be considered "bad design".

How do you get "Inquisition-vibe" from 3mn video a guy walking around ? I don't get it, there's like zero gameplay aside from some jetpacking and scanning a plant.

I don't know, for me, sort of unnecessary jumping and scanning/pinging your environment reminds me quite a bit of Inquisition. The bigger thing is how it would seem BioWare maybe prioritized stuff like jumping around in the environment at the expense of having your squad members disappear, only to magically appear in the cutscene. The party member pathfinding in Inquisition was an issue in large part due to the vertical elements they introduced there along with jumping and it seems that here they're getting around that by having them just not explore with you? Which again, is similar to Inquisition where they just had your party members vanish in a poof of smoke every time you got on a mount.

Bioware's never been the best at animations but I feel like they're improving with this game. In cany case...some of the artistic connections you're making to DAI seem like heavy reaches to me. I'm not understanding how the architecture can come off as fake when, well, it's an alien structure. Who determines what alien structures looks like lol? As a Remnant vault, it's meant to have an industrial and sleeker look.

I don't really even know how to respond to the clothes comment. Looks like clothes. I really feel like connections are being made to DAI where there are none.

The only connection between ME:A and DA:I is the fact that it's built from the same foundation. What are people here expecting them to do? Build the game from scratch, when they can build upon previous successes?

I don't know, for me, sort of unnecessary jumping and scanning/pinging your environment reminds me quite a bit of Inquisition.

Why would you call the jumping "unnecessary" when exploration seems to be a cornerstone of what they're going for with ME:A? Seems to me that it fits in just right.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Not sure it's meant to be combat armor. Looks more like Nathan Drake like adventurer outfit.

Didn't they say that there wont be a default? Afaik will the marketing be more like what Inquisition did
Not sure where they ever said that. The game will be marketed with both male and female Ryders.
Well that's a bit disappoint, we already had two ME games with Male Shepard marketed as default so it would've been nice to see them market the game with the female as default for once. Especially if the male default is gonna look like that.

man...they will never be able to do hands properly....They always look so stiff when they have open palms or in default positions....
I mean just the fact that they had characters holding hands and grabbing each other multiple times is impressive.

Will0827

It looks amazing, also like that in the video they refer to the console as PS4 Neo still. But it looks amazing just have to state again.

The whole thing with the control panels with buttons to make the walkways appear is red exploding barrels level stuff. It's not the biggest deal, but that's kind of weak.

They probably choose the location based on the visuals, it looked pretty good honestly and I don't understand the Inquisition "vibes" comparison, maybe it seems similar to people because it's Frostbite? I mean, the only "similar" location to this seems like it would be the Storm Coast/Deep Roads and even that's a stretch.

Also, I'd say we wait before jumping the gun about the Asari's clothes, she might be a biotic and rely on shields for protection or something remember Jack as already mentioned.

Anyway, looking good to me, it still has some time left in the oven too so I hope the optimize the animations etc.

Love or hate her outfit, it looks like something that could have easily appeared in ME2 or 3. Reminded me a bit of Aria T'Loak if anything. I'm equally baffled that it's being used as evidence that Andromeda looks too much like Dragon Age.

Whompa02

Animations look better, visuals look better, effects look cooler.

Music seems atmospheric as expected.

that Asari costume design is not good.

I don't know, for me, sort of unnecessary jumping and scanning/pinging your environment reminds me quite a bit of Inquisition. The bigger thing is how it would seem BioWare maybe prioritized stuff like jumping around in the environment at the expense of having your squad members disappear, only to magically appear in the cutscene. The party member pathfinding in Inquisition was an issue in large part due to the vertical elements they introduced there along with jumping and it seems that here they're getting around that by having them just not explore with you? Which again, is similar to Inquisition where they just had your party members vanish in a poof of smoke every time you got on a mount.
Party members will be with you during exploration.

Are you thinking about expounding on what exactly is bad about her "design"? Or are you just dressing your "I don't like this" comment in a semblance of worthwhile criticism? Genuine question, because I can't find anything that would be considered "bad design".
Her outfit looks like jeans, a leather jacket showing a little midriff and a midriff-baring shirt. Which on its face sounds super simple, simple and boring, but it somehow manages to look incredibly overdesigned with all the shit plastered onto those pieces of clothing.

It's just completely unappealing to my eyes.

megalowho

BioWare seems reluctant to make a compelling pitch for this game when it's given time to shine on stage. Can only assume it's purposeful and we'll get much more closer to release, like they've been saying. Will wait for November 7th for more details before speculating, but I have some reservations given what little we've seen. Some aspects look nicer, others look firmly stuck in the past.

just wondering, if I set the youtube setting to 1080p, is that what I can expect from normal PS4 version looks like? or PS4 pro version on 1080p tv?

Why would you call the jumping "unnecessary" when exploration seems to be a cornerstone of what they're going for with ME:A? Seems to me that it fits in just right.

Personally, I thought the jumping in Inquisition controlled horribly and was oftentimes an excuse to toss some collectable in a hard to reach area that resulted in you having to subject yourself to some pain in the ass platforming to get the shard or collectable, which just was not fun.

No idea if that's how they'll handle it in ME, but just from the video, its a basically linear looking path the guy is on. He jumps a couple times for the hell of it, even though he's on a linear path with your bog standard "sci-fi cubes materializing to form a structure in front of you" thing going on.

I'm just thinking of how BioWare implemented jumping in Inquisition as a means to further exploration and I don't think it worked very well there, especially considering the trade-off was your party members' pathfinding getting exposed as a result. Which was bad for me, considering that walking around with your party members is a huge part of the appeal of those sorts of games.

Party members will be with you during exploration.

Where were they in this video? They just seem to magically appear when the cutscene hits, unless there is some missing scene or something. I just think back to your disappearing companions in DA:I whenever you got on a mount and could see BioWare doing more stuff like that if it means making it easier to have platforming environments where they wouldn't have to worry about squadmates' pathfinding being rubbish.

Kaizer

Banned
I'll hold back judgement on the game until the full trailer reveal in November but that definitely wasn't the best, most interesting or most exciting way to show off the game. Still really looking forward to the new Mass Effect, I just hope it isn't going to be a rehash of what they've already done.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Man, they really made an effort to not show anything even remotely interesting in that video.

Taker34

Banned
I liked the demo, the engine looks very impressive. Great lighting and graphics overall. It's not Mass Effect 4 but that's ok.

That was an extremely unimpressive gameplay clip...

It was only showing off the ruff platforming the game will have though. I like the idea. In previous mass effect games there was always a magic path to follow on every planet and battlefield. This looks like they can at least mix it up this game.

I don't have any confidence in the studio working on this, all of their old ME stuff I thought was bad compared to the main studio.

Jarmel is right. ME4 reminds people of DA3 not without a reason. The angular, alien stuff reminds me of the caves in DA3:

Hinterlands-Winterwatch-Cave-Rift.png

Top Bottom