• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 on Mac RIGHT NOW! On sale for $9.99, free weekend till 6/13!

Greyvvolf

I'm trying out the free weekend for Team Fortress 2 and got the free earbuds. How long do I have these for anyways? I'm going to miss the sale to get TF2 for $9.99, but I plan on buying The Orange Box eventually this month. Will they still be there when I buy the game later?

TP

Greyvvolf said:
I'm trying out the free weekend for Team Fortress 2 and got the free earbuds. How long do I have these for anyways? I'm going to miss the sale to get TF2 for $9.99, but I plan on buying The Orange Box eventually this month. Will they still be there when I buy the game later?

Yup, yours to keep.

TP

criesofthepast said:
So anyone else getting choppy audio? Is that a server problem or what?

Ive never had that problem but if your audio doesn't improve some of your files might be corrupt

Select Team Fortress 2, right click options, local files, verify integrity of game cache

That usually fixes any problems I run into

The new interface is honestly kind of shit, big dumb buttons and pop ups everywhere, I liked the old minimalist menu in the lower left hand of the screen, leaving the rotating artwork to dominate the screen. At least there's still a server list.

Thanks, I was lurking in the online thread and saw that link, will give it a shot. It's not quite all the way there but it's at least less cluttered.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Red Scarlet said:
Botolf says to go here instead: 69.64.95.37:27015

Jumped in this one and played some CTF. Not a mac player but I am a newbie so I figured I'd start playing today and no one would really notice.

I Was the Blue Pyro Zerokku. Hope I did okay. For those who were also in there, how did I do for my first time? Only previous TF2 experience was the training thing, and a practice session to try out the classes.= :p

AniHawk

bah. servers are all busy supposedly. even tried changing to romania, middle east, and phoenix and nothing happened.

Nabs

Zerokku said:
Jumped in this one and played some CTF. Not a mac player but I am a newbie so I figured I'd start playing today and no one would really notice.

I Was the Blue Pyro Zerokku. Hope I did okay. For those who were also in there, how did I do for my first time? Only previous TF2 experience was the training thing, and a practice session to try out the classes.= :p

you did fine. just remember to use your secondary attack to put out fires. i think you actually put me out at the end when i had 1hp, so close :lol

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Nabs said:
you did fine. just remember to use your secondary attack to put out fires. i think you actually put me out at the end when i had 1hp, so close :lol

Yah I was remembering to do that by the end of that match. Still getting used to everything though D: Ive been playing the hell out of half-life lately as well so I kept accidentally calling for a medic as I was trying to "use" something :lol

Glad to hear I wasnt terrible. Felt like I was doing pretty good but cant really tell.

benjipwns

Banned
Told a bunch of Mac fans about this, they all have shitty graphic cards in their Mac Pro's that aren't even supported or run it worse than my old 6600GT did. For some the games won't even launch. So they're looking at $350 "official" graphic card (HD4870 512 MB) upgrades or $150 "flashed" graphic card (HD4780 1GB) upgrades. Just to play Source games. Went from thinking I'd be adding like six new TF2 friends to being "wtf" about Mac graphic cards.

Not to hate on Mac's (fine with people buying what they want and I use Ubuntu almost exclusively on my laptop) but what is with the graphic card situation in them. Sometimes mobile cards with half the ram and crap. And three times as much for the same card with half the ram for upgrades.

Fun to find non-full non-24/7 etc. servers for a change though. :lol

Jeo said:
Ive never had that problem but if your audio doesn't improve some of your files might be corrupt

Select Team Fortress 2, right click options, local files, verify integrity of game cache

That usually fixes any problems I run into
Thank you! I'll try that in the morning.

Nessus

Zerokku said:
Glad to hear I wasnt terrible. Felt like I was doing pretty good but cant really tell.

Let you in on a secret: a majority of the people you play against on random servers are awful because they are generally more concerned with getting kills than actually benefiting the team and winning the match.

Uncle AJ

Game is still going on. Good lord I don't know how some of you guys can tolerate 3 straight hours of non-stop 2fort. And 2fort rounds set to first to 10 captures instead of 3! :lol

Next time we should explore Capture Point and Payload maps. Those force the rounds to end in reasonable amounts of time.

But very good fun all around tonight. I tried not to fight my hardest too often, because whenever I did, people would try to voteban me...

EmCeeGramr said:
boy the scotsman's skullcutter is sooo awesome, glad i had the materials necessary to craft it :))))

AXE CREW FO LIFE

benjipwns

Banned
Nessus said:
Let you in on a secret: a majority of the people you play against on random servers are awful because they are generally more concerned with getting kills than actually benefiting the team and winning the match.
Yeah, just raped a whole other team on ctf_well by ubering a Heavy outside and around their spawn. He racked up like 30 kills before the uber ended, then I ran back with the intelligence to cap for the win.

They just kept running outside the spawn even though we were uber-camping the intelligence outside it.

Sibylus

Banned
I'm not currently on the 2fort server (Mo the Hawk linked it above), but there's 22 people playing on it right now.

Random server filled up with more people than I was anticipating, lots of Gaf faces and some Mac people too! I had a lot of fun with it, not too much serious business and people seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Nessus said:
That was more or less the point of the "Nubathon". New people, one map, lots of wacky and fun chaos and not much to worry about in the vein of superb skill or team coordination (though we definitely did see a lot of the latter, I was surprised we finished two 10-capture rounds on 2fort as quickly as we did :lol ).

This performance thing, is it Apple or Valves fault?

And it's because it's using OpenGL and not DirectX right?
And DirectX is owned and run by Microsoft, so Apple can not do it on their platform, right?

Uncle AJ

Vigilant Walrus said:
This performance thing, is it Apple or Valves fault?

And it's because it's using OpenGL and not DirectX right?
And DirectX is owned and run by Microsoft, so Apple can not do it on their platform, right?

I think you answered your own question(s).

Mo the Hawk said:
I think you answered your own question(s).

Well, then my follow-up is, why haven't they done anything about it instead of this? Why release this, when it sends out negative feedback and unhappy customers about their products not working?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Okay... I'm having trouble actually buying it. What the hell. I live in Japan, but have a valid US credit card, but I don't currently live in the country. I don't want to lie, what the fuck are my options?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Downloaded and played a couple rounds tonight. Game runs OK on my 4 year old Macbook Pro.

...until there's actually action happening on-screen. Then the game stutters terribly :lol

I played Soldier the whole time, because it seems like it is the only class I can be effective at, with this performance. I just lob rockets in the general direction of the enemy and hope for the best. It worked out OK, for the most part. I even earned an achievement.

I haven't played TF2 since the game launched, and that was on the 360. So it was nice to be back.

Between the performance in firefights and the fact that I was playing with a trackpad, I don't think I'll be of much use to my TF2 teammates :lol I mostly bought the game for when I get my new machine.

NekoFever

It ran like shit on my MBP (2.16GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, X1600). People on the official forum who have 10.6.4 say they're getting up to like 70% performance gains with that depending on their particular graphics chipset so I'll wait until that comes out before I give up and wait for a new computer or radically optimised version of TF2.

commissar

Mo the Hawk said:
But very good fun all around tonight. I tried not to fight my hardest too often, because whenever I did, people would try to voteban me...
Mr 500 points lol. You're a maniac :0

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
NekoFever said:
It ran like shit on my MBP (2.16GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, X1600). People on the official forum who have 10.6.4 say they're getting up to like 70% performance gains with that depending on their particular graphics chipset so I'll wait until that comes out before I give up and wait for a new computer or radically optimised version of TF2.

I have a 1.83 C2D (the model so old many people forget it exists... it was only around for a few months before the specs were bumped -_-) and even I wouldn't describe the performance as "shit."

Well, maybe I would. It's def. not good for serious play. But I was playing a 16v16 match. With lower player counts and tweaked settings I think it will be OK for non-competitive play.

commisar and Wallach you bastards... trying to have a sniper battle with me on 2Fort when I'm using the Huntsman! :lol

But yeah, I like the earbuds I see people wearing in-game. Going to have to borrow a Mac during the weekend to log on. :D

Mo the Hawk said:
Game is still going on. Good lord I don't know how some of you guys can tolerate 3 straight hours of non-stop 2fort. And 2fort rounds set to first to 10 captures instead of 3! :lol

Next time we should explore Capture Point and Payload maps. Those force the rounds to end in reasonable amounts of time.

AXE CREW FO LIFE

I love 2fort but that was too much, also u dominated me the whole night:lol

Wallach

Revolutionary said:
commisar and Wallach you bastards... trying to have a sniper battle with me on 2Fort when I'm using the Huntsman! :lol

But yeah, I like the earbuds I see people wearing in-game. Going to have to borrow a Mac during the weekend to log on. :D

Muahahaha. That was fun, I haven't played TF2 in a while so I wanted to get back into things with the old standby. I didn't get any earbuds though! Damnit!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
So I get it installed (not bought yet, still have that issue) and everyone is done playing? :lol Fuck.

Sibylus

Banned
Next time we play some CTF, we can try to look for a server with a rotation of at least 2-3 maps. As an example, Doublecross is a brilliant CTF map (also much less prone to stalemates).

Uncle AJ

Vigilant Walrus said:
Well, then my follow-up is, why haven't they done anything about it instead of this? Why release this, when it sends out negative feedback and unhappy customers about their products not working?

Because the only other alternative is to not make a version of TF2 that works with OS X at all. Which seemed to serve Valve pretty well for the past three years. But they finally saw a market, and so they worked with what they were given.

commissar said:
Mr 500 points lol. You're a maniac :0

The score doesn't really mean anything :lol It's more of a measure of how long you've played in that session than your skills. That was a 24/7 2fort server, so the 500+ points just reflects that I played for 4 hours straight. Would've kept going too if my internet wasn't crapping out at random intervals today!

AniHawk

RevenantKioku said:
So I get it installed (not bought yet, still have that issue) and everyone is done playing? :lol Fuck.

you managed to get it installed? i think steam's broken for me. i played portal once a month ago and then it would say validating files and nothing would happen. now it's saying servers are busy, which i guess they are, but even when i turn it offline to play portal it says it's busy.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Sooooo...If I were to allow some wonderful, sweet (and trustworthy) Mac owner to use my account to play a bit of TF2, would that plop a pair of earbuds into my backpack?

And if so...Who's feeling sweet and wonderful? Eh? Eh?

RevenantKioku

AniHawk said:
you managed to get it installed? i think steam's broken for me. i played portal once a month ago and then it would say validating files and nothing would happen. now it's saying servers are busy, which i guess they are, but even when i turn it offline to play portal it says it's busy.
Yeah, but it's running like utter ass. Quite disappointing. I may not buy it.
I mean, the menus take forever to navigate. It's just bad.

Red Scarlet

Hope I did ok. Never saw the intel as far as I know. Was confusing w/ no radar or anything. Had a fun little sniper shootout going at the end. That last match I was like top scorer on my team (dunno how to get score) almost the whole match, don't know how that happened. Think I did okay for my first time.

tf21sttime.png

Was fun though, kind of liked the medic and I think the sniper probably doesn't get that much use in 'serious' games, soldier was kind of fun.

Wallach

Red Scarlet said:
Hope I did ok. Never saw the intel as far as I know. Was confusing w/ no radar or anything. Had a fun little sniper shootout going at the end. That last match I was like top scorer on my team (dunno how to get score) almost the whole match, don't know how that happened. Think I did okay for my first time.

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/tf21sttime.png

Was fun though, kind of liked the medic and I think the sniper probably doesn't get that much use in 'serious' games, soldier was kind of fun.

You were probably there from the start... someone set the rounds of 2Fort to 10 points. A bit long probably. :lol

RevenantKioku

Awesome. I went to change the settings and clicking OK does dick all. This is sooooo awful.

RevenantKioku

:(
Well, back to the glorious console world, it seems.

Top Bottom