• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach E3 Trailer [M-CONF]

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
EazyB said:
If you'd told me last Bungie Day that one map would be so horrendous that people would still be talking about it a year from then I would have laughed at you.

Instead I'm laughing at Kapura.
:lol :lol

Deputy Moonman said:
Ramirez and Zeouterlimits... please let my horrible thread die. I wish a mod would just delete it.
I agree with your thread. Don't really like handhelds. Much prefer the better graphics and lack of headache on a console and TV.

So what exactly are we allowed to discuss in this thread? Is this the new Halo thread for now?

Colonade hate is 80% an issue that arose from the map choosing bug.

MOVING ON: What's with the NYC demo'ing of the same Campaign demo from E3?
The companies mentioned, Joystiq, etc, surely they'd have seem at it E3, making this kind of event un-necessary. Not saying there's anything to it, just think it's a little odd.

GhaleonEB

Zeouterlimits said:
Colonade hate is 80% an issue that arose from the map choosing bug.

MOVING ON: What's with the NYC demo'ing of the same Campaign demo from E3?
The companies mentioned, Joystiq, etc, surely they'd have seem at it E3, making this kind of event un-necessary. Not saying there's anything to it, just think it's a little odd.
I think it's normal to show the same demo outside of E3 for additional media; Maxim sounds like an outlet that probably didn't have a big E3 presence. Maybe some media outlets like Joystiq will attend both, just because.

Know what I'd like to see, erm, hear? A post-E3 podcast. I'd love to hear Lars talk about Firefight in depth. :D

Dirtbag

I'm with Dani, ARG's are pointless marketing fluff... and I work in advertising.
They engage the people that are already onboard. Totally pointless.

GhaleonEB said:
I think it's normal to show the same demo outside of E3 for additional media; Maxim sounds like an outlet that probably didn't have a big E3 presence. Maybe some media outlets like Joystiq will attend both, just because.

Know what I'd like to see, erm, hear? A post-E3 podcast. I'd love to hear Lars talk about Firefight in depth. :D
Very likely right about Maxim and I see your point about Joystiq. No harm in having two people see the demo, especially if they all probably didn't go to E3.

*shrugs* Apart from FF map philosophies, I'm in the mood for a good campaign podcast. Alot in that well they can cover between now & September.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:

On it. ZBR is coming in like a meteor and Brian is in NYC, so it might be a bit delayed (hello, Kapura). We've got plans already in motion, though.

Falagard

Dirtbag said:
I'm with Dani, ARG's are pointless marketing fluff... and I work in advertising.
They engage the people that are already onboard. Totally pointless.

They might be pointless from a marketing standpoint (and I disagree, because ilovebees made headlines in non gamer press), but not from a fan service standpoint, as OuterWorldVoice pointed out.

So I personally really liked ilovebees and thought IRIS was interesting but not very well executed in comparison to ilovebees. I would love to see a Reach ARG, as fan service, and definitely don't think it'd be pointless from that perspective.

Kapura

Banned
urk said:
On it. ZBR is coming in like a meteor and Brian is in NYC, so it might be a bit delayed (hello, Kapura). We've got plans already in motion, though.
Potential guest line-up preview? We gonna see Sage again to talk about CRIMSON MOTHERFUCKING HALO SKIES: HIGH ROAD TO GODDAMN REACH? or somebody to talk about AI (please)? I can't contain my podcast desire.

I also think an argument can be made that companies doing things like ARGs for the hardcore fans will help keep those fans hardcore thus being worthwhile.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
June-ish it is, then. Look forward to it.

urk said:
Any teases for what's on tap for tomorrow's BWU? I get more and more excited about forge with each passing minute. I love being creative, but I had a really hard time with the map editor in Halo3. I can see myself spending hours,days, weeks, months trying to invent new maps for Reach if the controls have been simplified and smoothed out.

Wow I just realized I've been gifted with the title of moron by the mod gods. :lol Someday I'll learn from my mistakes.

GhaleonEB

Deputy Moonman said:
Any teases for what's on tap for tomorrow's BWU? I get more and more excited about forge with each passing minute. I love being creative, but I had a really hard time with the map editor in Halo3. I can see myself spending hours,days, weeks, months trying to invent new maps for Reach if the controls have been simplified and smoothed out.

Wow I just realized I've been gifted with the title of moron by the mod gods. :lol Someday I'll learn from my mistakes.
Today is Wednesday, Moonman. Just sayin'.

EazyB said:
Where on earth do you live?
In a cardboard box, given to me by humanity out of sympathy for my stupidity. People throw rocks at me.

GhaleonEB said:
Today is Wednesday, Moonman. Just sayin'.
AW NO!!!!!! That means I have 24 hours of extra waiting that I had not originally anticipated. And yes, moron confirmed!:lol

Gui_PT

Deputy Moonman said:

The 23rd of June is now your birthday. Moron.

<3

EazyB

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
In a cardboard box, given to me by humanity out of sympathy for my stupidity. People throw rocks at me.
I had something more harsh typed out originally but thought that you may be an Aussie.

A smarter person would have lied and said he was :p

Anyways, don't think they'd just reveal Forge in a BWU. I'm hoping for a Bungie Day blowout but most likely it'll pop up on some exclusive gaming website or mag.

boxrocks.jpg

Kapura said:
There were much worse maps than colonnade. Like Paranoia, Actuality-Break and Stonehenge. If I had had GAF customs to run my map through, I'm sure it would have been much better for it's first public trial. But alas, I am left with the shame of a map that had a flag-capping exploit, subpar spawning and appeared as often as it did not.

Wait a minute, your the monster behind that map!?? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Your worse than Moonman :p, without reading the thread I have to say that I also dislike playing on Handhelds

Domino Theory said:
CNET has a bunch of new Reach FireFight footage here: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-21539_7-20008497-10391702.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

Starts about a little over half-way through the entire video and goes on until the end (first few minutes is the Campaign mission, the rest is FireFight goodness).

That was a great watch, I have to say I winced when Brian called putting the bubble down just as he was about to die 'clutch', in my opinion 'clutch' gameplay is all about doing something totally insane. Maybe pulling off snipes and just pure out manouvering multiple people, desperately trying to stop them touching your flag at they're capture point or something. Thats why I love Halo so much, because the base gameplay allows for that kind of thing to happen, the beta gameplay was a little stiff, and I really hope the gameplay allows for cool moments, and that cool moments arent almost pre-determined if that makes sense?

Going into armour lock and watching as a hog crashes into you/ putting down a bubble shield at the moment of death is certainly awesome, but its very static, its the kind of thing you almost expect to happen.

I doubt I made any sense. :lol

I should say that I think Brian was probably just using the term loosely, but I really hope that they're not setting that as the benchmark for 'clutch' play. If anything clutch play cant really be designed for, and I hope they're not having too many meetings where they think of ways to induce it, it would seem very artificial. I just hope the base gameplay has the dynamic feel to it that allows for clutch play to happen.

GhaleonEB

Domino Theory said:
CNET has a bunch of new Reach FireFight footage here: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-21539_7-20008497-10391702.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

Starts about a little over half-way through the entire video and goes on until the end (first few minutes is the Campaign mission, the rest is FireFight goodness).
A lot of good footage. In particular, seeing just how massive the Hunters look in first person. And they pried out of Brian that there's not drop-in co-op, though going from the matchmaking feature in Firefight and how it supported players dropping, it seems likely that drop-out is allowed now.

feel

Domino Theory said:

Very enjoyable. Thanks.

I like how there's markers for the few last enemies in a round now, so you don't waste time looking for that one grunt that decides to hide.

ZayneH said:
WTF. That should've totally have been mine. :(
Don't worry, you can be the unofficial other moron of HaloGAF. If you're talking about the tag quoting, the first sentence of this reply still applies. :)

Domino Theory said:

What's with Brian never picking up any weapons when he has no ammo? That seems like it would be a priority in an FPS.

Great footage. Looks like the plasma launcher still locks on to infantry though. Do not want. Also, the bubble shield recharges back pretty quick... that's going to get extremely annoying in MP.

Striker

Stormtrooper30 said:
What's with Brian never picking up any weapons when he has no ammo? That seems like it would be a priority in an FPS.

Great footage. Looks like the plasma launcher still locks on to infantry though. Do not want. Also, the bubble shield recharges back pretty quick... that's going to get extremely annoying in MP.
Has this been said at all for MP?

I rather they sit with a personal defensive mechanic like the Armor Lock rather than the bubble.

Nice stuff Tashi, and oh my gosh, rofl at the second clip. I guess I just wasn't expecting the music to cut in so suddenly and so loud, but it caught me off guard and then I couldn't stop laughing. Guile music ftw!

Stormtrooper30 said:
If he is anything like me, he is having trouble doing the interview while playing the game at the same time. I can't multitask for diddly squat when playing games, let alone try and carry on an interview.

What struck me as kind of funny is the guy from cnet bringing up the customizable emblems (he referred to them as logos) carrying over into Reach from Halo3. Now there is nothing wrong with this, but the thing that I would consider the very least significant about Reach (as far as big news for an interview is concerned) is the continuation of the emblems and how there are even more to choose from in Reach. It just made it seem like these dudes don't play Halo that often. But the guy could have been referring back to his emergency question sheet in the event of running out of things to say. Who knows. But the firefight footage looked really good.

ZayneH said:
WTF. That should've totally have been mine. :(
I'll gladly give it to you:lol

Ramirez said:
Those screens aren't new, and the small size is making them look about a 1000x better than they actually do. :lol
I had seen the other ones in the story, but not the quoted picture. Is it on B.net? (B.net is blocked at work)
And of course the down-sampling helps, but I'm okay with that for now.

Ramirez

Zeouterlimits said:
I had seen the other ones in the story, but not the quoted picture. Is it on B.net? (B.net is blocked at work)
And of course the down-sampling helps, but I'm okay with that for now.

Yup.

Reach_E310_Campaign05.jpg

Can we get a new MP map reveal for Bungie day please? :p

EazyB said:
I had something more harsh typed out originally but thought that you may be an Aussie.

A smarter person would have lied and said he was :p

Anyways, don't think they'd just reveal Forge in a BWU. I'm hoping for a Bungie Day blowout but most likely it'll pop up on some exclusive gaming website or mag.
Yeah, I guess I am not expecting any huge reveals or anything, but Forge in Reach is starting to eat away at my brain. Now what is this about Aussie's? I gonna have to claim ignorance for not following. I was assuming that you were poking fun at the aussie gaffers, but I don't know who is who with a lot of the people in this thread (concerning locations). So I'm probably unintentionally ruining a good joke. I've been to Cairns one time in my life, and I have to admit that seeing fruit bats flying around in a city is pretty awesome.

Top Bottom