• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M "story" trailer

ILikeFeet

Banned
Oli said:
I seriously cannot figure out how I feel about this game. I keep going back and forth between: "This looks so awesome", and "This could be disastrous".

I really really hope that the former is true, because it has a lot of potential.
As long as they have a skip function for the people who want it, it should be good.

DEO3

I was feeling kind of down on the game after the E3 trailer and demo footage did nothing for me, but I really like what I see in the second half of this trailer. Environments that aren't just empty corridors, grapping beam, wave beam, shinesparking, morph ball puzzles, yes please!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
AceBandage said:
There was never a time it wasn't cool.
Even when it was basically just the Naruto power hour.
c9XWv.jpg

OMFG, it looks amazing. I don't know, I played Metroid Prime 3 & Metroid Prime Hunters and didn't really like them. But something about this just looks wonderful. And I'm getting it for $20, thanks Amazon <3

ILikeFeet said:
As long as they have a skip function for the people who want it, it should be good.

The demos have all had the skip function.
I honestly don't get it though.
The story is pretty much what you'd expect from a video game.
This isn't Stephen King...

Oli

ILikeFeet said:

But much of my worry comes from the gameplay. I hope the traditional Metroid world style is in place, as opposed to just a linear level based setup.

Boney

Banned
MidnightScott said:
OMFG, it looks amazing. I don't know, I played Metroid Prime 3 & Metroid Prime Hunters and didn't really like them. But something about this just looks wonderful. And I'm getting it for $20, thanks Amazon <3
This leaves me with the impression that you haven't played Super, Fusion, Zero Mission and the original Prime.

You are a horrible human being.

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
This leaves me with the impression that you haven't played Super, Fusion, Zero Mission and the original Prime.

You are a horrible human being.

I agree with these.

Didn't care for Super and I way prefer Prime 3 to 1.

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
It's been proven many times already, you are like the worst thing ever.

Yeah I am hoping we get to the point soon that people no longer need to point this out and just kinda accept it.

Being told my taste in gaming = shit everytime I post got old along time ago.

Edit: Though in a way I actually kinda don't want it to end either, I ranked up to Agent of Satan yesterday in the RE thread so I can't decide if I should shoot for the next level or not.

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
Yeah I am hoping we get to the point soon that people no longer need to point this out and just kinda accept it.

Being told my taste in gaming = shit everytime I post got old along time ago.
I never said anything about your taste.

Red

TruePrime said:
I agree with these.

Didn't care for Super and I way prefer Prime 3 to 1.
The fact that you prefer Prime 3 to Prime 1 invalidates your username completely and proves you are the embodiment of some kind of liar's paradox. Soon all of GAF will converge into the singularity you've created.

Beth Cyra

Crunched said:
The fact that you prefer Prime 3 to Prime 1 invalidates your username completely and proves you are the embodiment of some kind of liar's paradox. Soon all of GAF will converge into the singularity you've created.

You know I had this name long before the Prime games and it never even clicked for me that they shared it.

That said was awesome, but still yes Prime 3>1 also Prime 3 suit equals best suit in the series outside of Phazon.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
seady said:
Metroid got injected with Halo cheeziness.
Obviously it's Ninja Gaiden's cheesiness, just instead of Ryu's adventures with a bunch of girls, it's Samus' adventures with a bunch of guys.

Presumably she will go and save them several times throughout the plot, despite them being "super special forces" who should be able to deal with the problems they have.

Teknoman

Nirolak said:
Obviously it's Ninja Gaiden's cheesiness, just instead of Ryu's adventures with a bunch of girls, it's Samus' adventures with a bunch of guys.

Presumably she will go and save them several times throughout the plot, despite them being "super special forces" who should be able to deal with the problems they have.

I'd like to think the Team Ninja members werent at the helm/ had no involvement in the story.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Hope the music stays pre-recorded (ie, orchestrated, high quality). Looks like they're actually pushing Wii. So few developers do that, sometimes you forget it's 1.5x GC (Rogue Squadron 3 still looks better than 99% of Wii games).

mantidor

I liked everything I saw.

If this was the first trailer I saw I would be in the doubtful camp, but I've grown used to the cheesy story and not-that-great voice acting (english one), I might even end up liking it. The thing is that the story of Metroid has always been pretty bad, all this game is doing is showing us the ugly truth we've been trying to ignore. The subtlety of Super's presentation didn't make the story any less cliche and formulaic. It looks like the story won't get in the way anymore than it did in Fusion and Corruption so I think it will be fine.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Boney said:
Speaking of which, who's in charge of that department?
Kuniaki Haishima. He did the music for Monster and Gasaraki.

AceBandage said:
Metroid Dread 3DS first.
No, Metroid Dread on next console. Fill-in-the-gaps stuff on consoles and installments that extend the story on portables only would be an annoying trend. Plus, now that the Prime series is over, there's nothing stopping Sakamoto from putting his next Metroid game right up on the console platform where it belongs.
3DS can get the 2.5D 'Zero Mission' version of Metroid II (which would be awesome).

Teknoman

I guess the scene at the end of the trailer is the station blowing up? Maybe Samus will have to actually go to a planet's surface for the second half of the game?

Teknoman

Krev said:
Kuniaki Haishima. He did the music for Monster and Gasaraki.

No, Metroid Dread on next console. Fill-in-the-gaps stuff on consoles and installments that extend the story on portables only would be an annoying trend. Plus, now that the Prime series is over, there's nothing stopping Sakamoto from putting his next Metroid game right up on the console platform where it belongs.
3DS can get the 2.5D 'Zero Mission' version of Metroid II (which would be awesome).

This monster? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG7yZ33ILbs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8s3a8dkqjc&feature=related

Could do the series justice.

Why's everyone hating on Prime 3?

I loved the shit out of it, but I also loved Prime 1 and Super Metroid as well as Zero Mission. Haven't played Fusion or Prime 2 though.

But yeah, Prime 3 was a great game. A lot more linear but I preferred it that way since I used to get really lost in Prime and Super.

More and more looking at the thing they tributed the saga in the first place. Alien
Im sure they are going to kill the cast one by one.

Adam or Anthony are going to be killed by Ridley, you hear it here first folks.

Im fucking loving Metroid other m, haters gonna hate

Poyunch

SpacePirate Ridley said:
More and more looking at the thing they tributed the saga in the first place. Alien

That's the vibe I got from the trailer. It's just really too bad they made each character so generic outside of Anthony and Adam. There are very few features to distinguish each character from the other one. Especially with those visors closed.

Boney

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:

Anthony is gonna get killed by Adam and Adam is gonna give his life to save Samus.

PounchEnvy said:
That's the vibe I got from the trailer. It's just really too bad they made each character so generic outside of Anthony and Adam. There are very few features to distinguish each character from the other one. Especially with those visors closed.

I dont thing they look generic, they are actually very diferent of each other in a manga type of way, whith different noses and all that :lol
They remind me to secondary characters of things like Cowboy Bebop, Monster or 20th Century Boys.

Boney said:
Anthony is gonna get killed by Adam and Adam is gonna give his life to save Samus.
We know Ridley is in the game, im pretty sure he will be part of one of those killings.

goomba

Banned
Prime 1 > Super Metroid > Prime 3 > Metroid Fusion > Metroid (zero mission) > Prime 2 > Metroid II > Prime Hunters

iirate

Even Anthony and Adam are generic if you're going by that trailer alone. I don't believe that the entire force will be well fleshed out or anything (as much as I love the series, exposition isn't its strong point; and that seems to be the primary mode that MoM will play in), but I'm sure we'll see some depth in several of these characters the further we go into the game.

That being said, this is the first trailer that has had me giddy with excitement. So much of the exploration reminds me of Super Metroid, and the combat reminds me of Arkham Asylum in that while it may be a little awkward to learn, and to see in action while learning, to watch/execute properly will result in a very satisfying experience. I'm NOT saying that Samus suddenly fights like Batman or anything, just that I feel that this games' combat seems to have captured the feel of the character very well, especially with the emphasis being taken away from run-and-gun.

EDIT: Okay, list time:

Super Metroid > Metroid Prime > Metroid Prime 2 = Metroid Fusion > Metroid: Zero Mission > Metroid > Metroid Prime 3 > Metroid II > Metroid Prime: Hunters

I love every game up until Metroid II (I don't particularly hate it, but I haven't been able to play it in several years and I've never beaten it; I do have a cartridge AND a Super Game Boy in my possession now, so its time will come soon). Metroid Prime 3 is stupid fun, but for all of the wrong reasons. Metroid: Prime Hunters has pretty fun multiplayer, but falls flat everywhere else. I believe that the original Metroid's gameplay has aged worse than other classics from its time period, but that its atmosphere is easily on par with the best in the series (and in the medium. Period.). Zero Mission is relatively low on the atmosphere, but has top notch gameplay and added onto the lore of the series in a tasteful and engaging manner. Prime 2 and Fusion remind me of one another in that they are both flawed games with excellent highs (bosses in both, the puzzles in Prime 2 and the tension in Fusion) and require more commitment than the other games on the list, possibly excepting the original Metroid. Prime and Super need no introduction.

Poyunch

iirate said:
Even Anthony and Adam are generic if you're going by that trailer alone. I don't believe that the entire force will be well fleshed out or anything (as much as I love the series, exposition isn't its strong point; and that seems to be the primary mode that MoM will play in), but I'm sure we'll see some depth in several of these characters the further we go into the game.
Oh yeah besides the fact that they mention that's Adam no one would know he actually was Adam. At least Anthony seems to have some unique weapons attached to him to make him stand out.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I dont thing they look generic, they are actually very diferent of each other in a manga type of way, whith different noses and all that :lol
They remind me to secondary characters of things like Cowboy Bebop, Monster or 20th Century Boys.

We know Ridley is in the game, im pretty sure he will be part of one of those killings.
Well again with their visors closed and their faces covered you'd never know who they were outside of their voice. Their facial features still seem generic to me and that manga example doesn't really help. There's nothing really outstanding about any of their character models be it their face or their suit.

Really the only way I could see the characters stand out is if the stories and characters are written well but I'm not sure Nintendo and Team Ninja can pull it off.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I really like the music. Surprisingly. Metroid music usually bores the fuck out of me.

Samus' Japanese VA is... wrong. Just, wrong.

"remember me" sounds nowhere near as awesome in japanese :mad:

my only concerns at this point is that you have to move to change direction and whether the pacing is good. i have a high tolerance for video game exposition, and 8-direction digital controller has never bothered me as much as it does for most people.

EDIT: Oh snaps and dang, that short flash of the monster's face near the end, I am 90% certain that was an
Omega or Queen Metroid

Top Bottom