• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M "story" trailer

Nessus

Are there any native Japanese speakers here?

I'm very curious as to how good/horrible the Japanese voice acting is to someone who speaks Japanese.

Nessus said:
Are there any native Japanese speakers here?

I'm very curious as to how good/horrible the Japanese voice acting is to someone who speaks Japanese.
Who cares. It sounds better than the English VA. At least for Samus it does.

How ironic that a 'story' trailer finally shows us how the game is meant to be played.

The marines definitely give off an Aliens vibe, 'faceless' or no. I'm interested to see how the story unfolds. I managed to play and finish the NES original the other day and loved it. Trying to get a copy of the Prime Trilogy that I might make a dent in it before September.

Day one.

AniHawk

MidnightScott said:
Nope you got me, I have never played any of the old Metroid games. And no I don't want to buy them on VC, because Nintendo sucks at VC.

Use the $20 from amazon to buy a points card to buy Super Metroid.

AniHawk said:

I've never understood this. In Europe (UK at least) the cards are £10 on amazon when you can easily buy the points through your console for £7?

AniHawk said:

No. I hate their online system now, and I hate the emulators they use for games. Plus the controls seem to suck with the Classic Controller. :/

Teknoman

MidnightScott said:
No. I hate their online system now, and I hate the emulators they use for games. Plus the controls seem to suck with the Classic Controller. :/

The SNES games play and look just fine, and Super Metroid plays just fine with the Classic Controller (both pro and the older one).

Also I think Emcee is right about that quick alien face flash at the end.

Azure J

Yeah, I'm totally still in the "game will be ace" group. I don't mind the story sequences and it doesn't look like the game play is being compromised either.

Plywood said:
http://imgur.com/c9XWv.jpg

Oh you evil motherfucker, stop trying to bring back repressed memories! :lol

;___;

evangd007 said:
Can we make a pool for the order in which the supporting cast gets killed off?
Shaggy hair dude, because other videos show him to be the jumpy trigger finger type which means he will die first
Then pedo mustache guy, and blandest man on earth with a French name at the same time
Then glasses after he reveals how sensitive he is
Then REMEMBAH ME will get killed by Ridley
Then Adam will die fighting mother brain or a queen metroid or something

although it COULD be ridley killing adam

Teknoman

I dont think Mother Brain will be returning, probably a Queen Metroid. I just hope its not another Evil Samus. Dark Samus was cool for awhile and SA-X was creepy (the close ups anyway) but thats enough.

Wow, they showed a lot in that trailer. It's good to see some more stylish platforming footage creeping in now that its getting closer to release. That alone got me more pumped for the game than I've been for a while. Here's hoping for some real depth there.The sequence introducing the federation troopers seemed dangerously close to anime cliche though, and I'm not looking forward to the extra layer of cheese added by clumsy localization based on the previous footage I've watched. Fingers crossed for some language and subtitle options (and please God, the option to skip cut scenes on repeat play throughs).

At any rate, it's starting to dawn on me that there's only a month and change until a new Metroid. Feels good man.

Luigiv

goomba said:
Prime 1 > Super Metroid > Prime 3 > Metroid Fusion > Metroid (zero mission) > Prime 2 > Metroid II > Prime Hunters
Hmm, now I want to try this, lets see...

Amazing -- Prime 1 = Super Metroid > Zero Mission > Prime 2 = Prime 3 > Fussion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Quake Prime Hunters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Metroid. -- Okay

The outlier being Metroid II which I have yet to play for longer then 30 minutes.

Instro

Luigiv said:

Amazing -- Prime 1 = Super Metroid > Zero Mission > Prime 2 = Prime 3 > Fussion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Quake Prime Hunters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Metroid. -- Okay

The outlier being Metroid II which I have yet to play for longer then 30 minutes.

Hunters over the original Metroid? Crazy man you crazy.

Luigiv said:

Whoa. So like, do people dislike the original for the sole reason that Zero exists or..?

Luigiv

Instro said:
Hunters over the original Metroid? Crazy man you crazy.
It was a decent Quake clone.

MarshMellow96 said:
Whoa. So like, do people dislike the original for the sole reason that Zero exists or..?
It just hasn't aged well. The game can be downright broken at times.

Mael

Weenerz said:
Erock from Opie & Anthony has this game early, sadface

IMG00484.jpg.scaled.1000.jpg

Ok this has bugged me long enough!
Why is the varia suit so fucking ugly?
Was that so that to make something closer to Metroid3's suit or even, god forbid, the prime games?

And since it's list time :
Prime 2 : Echoes > Prime / Super Metroid > Prime 3 : Corrruption > Return of Samus > Fusion > Metroid > Prime : Hunters >>>...>>>>>> Zero Mission

robor

MarshMellow96 said:

It's far superior in level design and even surpasses the great Metroid III regarding sequence breaking. The other thing about the first Metroid is that it was a new type of game back on the NES, so developers were purely experimenting at this time; they didn't know exactly what they were making or how they were making it. The same case with the first Zelda title, the sequels (besides II I guess) are superior in design. The birth of iterative design in a sense.

Mael

Teknoman said:
Whats wrong with the suit?

The design look...cheap, I mean for all the design they got for the suit they had to go to butt ugly design that looks like the crappy design seen in Zero Mission?
Damn it, maybe it's too much prime but I'm not used to anime-design-from-the-80's varia suit and it's bugging me to no end.
The hillarious part is that since this game is not first person like the prime games, it'll bug me way more in OM than it could ever have in the Prime games :lol
Seriously even the Brawl or Melee models are better than this.

AniHawk

MidnightScott said:

robor said:
It's far superior in level design and even surpasses the great Metroid III regarding sequence breaking. The other thing about the first Metroid is that it was a new type of game back on the NES, so developers were purely experimenting at this time; they didn't know exactly what they were making or how they were making it. The same case with the first Zelda title, the sequels (besides II I guess) are superior in design. The birth of iterative design in a sense.

Fair enough. Though I still enjoyed the NES version!

Grampasso

Threi said:
"Ha Ha!"

I almost thought Cody from SF/FF was going to make a cameo :lol

aside from that this trailer has convinced me that the game is gunna suck and I'm going to go cancel my preorder now and never buy any future metroid products until the franchise is dead.
So you'll restart buying metroid games when the franchise is dead? Sounds weird

Mael

MarshMellow96 said:
Fair enough. Though I still enjoyed the NES version!

With reason I'd say, even on a casual playthrough it's way more enjoyable if not for the fucking save flaw that game had.
Seriously if I wanted to play Super Metroid I'd boot up my Wii or my SNES.

Teknoman

Samus.jpg

Samus_Metroid_Prime.jpg

samus_years.jpg

Its not really all that different imo. After Super Metroid, the Varia suit has looked pretty similar in design...despite looking a little more yellowish in Other M.

Mael

Teknoman said:
[img ]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/MasterOfPuppets1/Brawl/Samus.jpg[/img]

[img ]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/metroid/images/8/80/Samus_Metroid_Prime.jpg[/img]

[img ]http://metroid-database.com/features/samus_years.jpg[/img]

Its not really all that different imo.

It's the same basic design, it's just that details that makes it its own design are ugly as hell.
(and they wre kinda lazy in Brawl anyway, I mean they lifted the models of Link/Zelda/Ganondorf/Samus directly from the games they were from :-/, but I won't complain since Dark Link looks so much cooler now)

Luigiv

MarshMellow96 said:
I'm curious (really). Broken how? Though it may ruin my chances of playing through it again :lol
Oops you died, now you only get 30 hitpoints with no easy way to recover it. Oh you want to continue? Scour the entire map for one, nondescript tile that you can destroy.

And that's not even taking into account the clumsy controls, unbalanced combat and retarded vertical platforming segments that go on forever with no variety.

Now I'm not saying it's a bad game, in fact for something that released in the mid 80's it was a monumental achievement. However since I don't own a NES and didn't play the game for the first until 2003, I had no nostalgia of how great it was "back then" to blind me to the all the archaic design choices. Some classics just age worse then others.

Teknoman

Mael said:
It's the same basic design, it's just that details that makes it its own design are ugly as hell.
(and they wre kinda lazy in Brawl anyway, I mean they lifted the models of Link/Zelda/Ganondorf/Samus directly from the games they were from :-/, but I won't complain since Dark Link looks so much cooler now)

Oh I see what you mean now. Like those lines segmenting the shoulder sections and those extra green lights?

Mael

Teknoman said:
Oh I see what you mean now. Like those lines segmenting the shoulder sections and those extra green lights?

That and the breast plate, oh god the breast plate could they have made it look more fake?
It's details mainly but I'll complain because if I have to find value in the game I better get the bad out of the way first.

The Varia Suit is orange. The Power Suit is yellow.

Actually the color is nearly the same in Prime (doesn't change much between varia and power suit).
So I put it on account that yellow is the new orange for them, the basic design of the armour though shows strong similarities to the varia suit and can't be mistaken for the power suit....
Unless they decided that Metroid 2, 3, Prime, Zero Mission, Melee and Brawl were all ballowney in that regard.
edit : and the manga too

could be great. looks like a well polished game.

Trailer started like a Kojima production somehow.
David Beckham makes a comeback.

anyway, i hope the game will b great.

Teknoman

One thing i've always wanted to know, why did they decide to turn Ridley into Meta-Ridley in the Prime saga? If it takes place before Super Metroid, where he was still red ( well in the manual anyway...purple in game) and looked mostly natural, shouldn't he have been that way in Prime too?

Unless they're trying to pull something where its not the same Ridley, or i'm looking into it too much :lol

Luigiv said:
Oops you died, now you only get 30 hitpoints with no easy way to recover it. Oh you want to continue? Scour the entire map for one, nondescript title that you can destroy.

And that's not even taking into account the clumsy controls, unbalanced combat and retarded vertical platforming segments that go on forever with no variety.

Now I'm not saying it's a bad game, in fact for something that released in the mid 80's it was a monumental achievement. However since I don't own a NES and didn't play the game for the first until 2003, I had no nostalgia of how great it was "back then" to blind me to the all the archaic design choices. Some classics just age worse then others.

You're right on the health part, but it didn't bother me that much. For me it acted as an impetus to get better because dying had a high price (ice beam for the win). The only time that I can recall having to 'grind' was before Ridley and the near last section before the Mother Brain, where I ran out of missiles (the game kept giving me health so I had to leave Tourian). I never had a problem with the controls, although those things that came out of pipes continually got to be a royal pain in the arse.

Like yourself , I've only 'recently' had the opportunity to legitimately play NES games, so I guess I don't have the rose-tinted specs on either. I tried to take the games for what they are, they can still be enjoyed as a product of their time, for want of a better expression. If nothing else, it's interesting - at least to me - to see how these series have grown over the years. After playing original Zelda, which also established the gameplay etc. of more recent games (though I feel that II is perhaps more influential and somewhat ahead of its time) I had a similar feeling. In the end, I suppose we can agree that the ageing process has taken its toll on Metroid. Although it's still a classic and still enjoyable, against something like SMB3 you can definitely see the cracks.

Mael

Teknoman said:
One thing i've always wanted to know, why did they decide to turn Ridley into Meta-Ridley in the Prime saga? If it takes place before Super Metroid, where he was still red and looked mostly natural, shouldn't he have been that way in Prime too?

Unless they're trying to pull something where its not the same Ridley, or i'm looking into it too much :lol

I'm fairly sure they did this because it was cool and made for some cool scans rather then just plain boring ridley.
Heck by the end of the prime series, ridley has been encased in metal AND infused with phazon and exploded to bits....
Kinda bring the whole surprise of Ridley being alive and well moot in Super Metroid >.>

szaromir

Banned
Team Ninja are such universally acclaimed masters of storytelling I literally can't wait. On top of that, Metroid always seemed like inclusion of huge amount of cutscenes would make it sooooo much better.

szaromir said:
Team Ninja are such universally acclaimed masters of storytelling I literally can't wait. On top of that, Metroid always seemed like inclusion of huge amount of cutscenes would make it sooooo much better.

Why can't we all just get along?

szaromir

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
Why can't we all just get along?
Don't worry, I am still quiet excited to play the game, though I do think traditional 'ambient' Metroid storytelling would serve the game better.

Top Bottom