• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M "story" trailer

robor

szaromir said:
Team Ninja are such universally acclaimed masters of storytelling I literally can't wait. On top of that, Metroid always seemed like inclusion of huge amount of cutscenes would make it sooooo much better.

They're so good at it they're not even doing it. Time to recap.

Regarding the new Samus design, I actually prefer it over the Prime design. Those shoulder spheres look fucking ridiculous in Prime.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Mael said:
Ok this has bugged me long enough!
Why is the varia suit so fucking ugly?
Was that so that to make something closer to Metroid3's suit or even, god forbid, the prime games?

And since it's list time :
Prime 2 : Echoes > Prime / Super Metroid > Prime 3 : Corrruption > Return of Samus > Fusion > Metroid > Prime : Hunters >>>...>>>>>> Zero Mission
It's not even the Varia Suit, it seems it's the regular Power Suit with the Varia Suit shoulder pads.

Mael

Andrex said:
I don't get the hate.

If you see hate from me for this it comes down to a few points :
- autoFUCKING aim
- retarded design choices

I don't mind the retarded plot points, I mean there's cheese in Metroid since Fusion and Zero Mission might as well appreciate the cheese cake this is going to be.

Kard8p3 said:
So at around 2:58 that's Ridley we're seeing on the visor right?

Yep, thats Ridley.
Although we already new he was in the game as Samus fight with Ridley in the first Other M trailer.

Lets see how the treat the Ridley here.

RagnarokX

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Yep, thats Ridley.
Although we already new he was in the game as Samus fight with Ridley in the first Other M trailer.

Lets see how the treat the Ridley here.
Gotta wonder if he will talk this time.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
RagnarokX said:
Gotta wonder if he will talk this time.
Well he loves talking in the manga and this is supposed to be more story oriented.
Yeah we're gonna have to worry about Ridley talking.

pulga

Banned
Oh God, I thought I kept seeing Beckham in this because of my football starved brain. :lol

Glad to see I'm not the only one! Why'd they have to give the "good looking" Space Marine the boring, action hero name? Becks should've been Smithsonian.

Socreges

Banned
Shinespark @ 2:45!!!

That's great to see. Fuck the story stuff.

revolverjgw said:
I expected laughably awful, atmosphere-sapping exposition, looks like I'm gonna get it.
That's an excellent way of putting it.

Flakster99

I... cannot wait to play this game. The trailer looked superb to me. Digging the changes shown to the Metroid formula. Let's hope it makes for a fun, compelling game.

Day 1 and all that. :D

Gino

Pre-ordered from amazon yesterday with release date shipping.

Anyone notice the "Diffusion Beam" when it shows the grapple beam unlocking?

I'm hoping the plot is delivered in a similar pace as Fusion. That story was pretty plot heavy for a Metroid game, but it didn't detract from the gameplay too much.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Best trailer yet. Looks really good.

Can't wait to see how Samus went from a team player to a total loner.
Probably going to have a fairly bittersweet ending.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also, not a huge fan of the new suit design, but thats mostly because IMO it lacks detail compared with the Prime design. Or maybe the orange just shows it off better.

Gino

Mael said:
Since the shoulders are round it's the varia suit...unless they decided to retcon 95% of the games released up till now :-/
I think you are getting to worked up over this.

The suit's and ship change a least a little bit between each game.

I don't see any problem with this design. Also I have seen Darker Orange color suit in previous trailers so I don't think that's the Varia suit anyways.

Malio

The game-play looks completely bad ass. This thing on Hard mode will be quite a challenge, I imagine.

Gino

Check this trailer at 0:52.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EftgHQGHQI

maybe I'm just seeing things but that suit looks orange to me.

Also at 1:46 the suit looks orange.

EDIT: Actually if you look closely at 1:46 you can see that her suit is now Yellow in the center and Orange at the extremities... This is the Varia suit not the one she starts with.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Okay this trailer is the first one to actually make me excited since playing it earlier this year. A lot of those mechanics later on look pretty cool, and I'm starting to get a good feeling about how the plot will play out. It's still pretty bizarre to see them regress the visuals to Zero Mission Style in 3D though.

They've got Space Pirates in there now though, I wonder how they're involved with things. And I'm surprised to say that I'm not really a fan of any of the Japanese voices, they feel really out of place in this universe. Anthony's in particular is pretty god-awful. Good thing I'm not playing the Japanese version!

TunaLover

The_Technomancer said:
Also, not a huge fan of the new suit design, but thats mostly because IMO it lacks detail compared with the Prime design. Or maybe the orange just shows it off better.
One of the things that I love about the new design is that extension in the back of the helmet, that Alien like head was Samus trademark from NES Metroid, it's more subtle now, but still there.

0.jpg

Dr.Hadji

"Remember me" >>>>> "Ore dayo"
English VO for black peoples >>>> Japanese VO for black peoples

Conclusion........ English Anthony >>> Japanese Anthony.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
"Remember me" >>>>> "Ore dayo"
English VO for black peoples >>>> Japanese VO for black peoples

Conclusion........ English Anthony >>> Japanese Anthony.

Asian black people. the rarist breed.

Samus moves like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden despite not using a melee weapon, which defeats the entire design behind how ryu moves.

Jumps like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden despite the game probably (hopefully) ending up being platform heavy. Again, defeating design decisions made for ninja gaiden but don't apply to metroid. And platforming in ninja gaiden was a pain even when it wasn't essential every 2-seconds gameplay.

Presentation like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden despite this being a metroid game. Couldn't be more opposite unfitting unless this was a yoshi game. Of course I say that in jest, but a lot of Gaf would probably go cuckoo over a high octane yoshi experience.

And now I know the music and cutscenes are something like Ninja Gaiden. Wonderful.

Of all the franchises in the world you had to come to this one. Okay, I exaggerate. Team Ninja coulda sabotaged plenty of other better franchises out there, but it's still a shame. It's a double shame cause I think Team Ninja are talented, but apparently, they don't like starting from scratch. Samus Aran? Eh, she's a ninja with a gun. Alright, let's move on to more important matters, like kill-moves.

Gino

webrunner said:
The problem I have with the suit is that the color looks off.. like someone messed with the tint.

Ah internet... The land where people can bitch about things like sonic the hedge hog's eye color and the "tint" of yellow on samus' suit.

robor

SO. FUCKING. BAD. ASS.

I will shit hard if Ridley has his own ship like in Zero Mission. That sequence in ZM sent CHILLS down my spine. Chills of bad assery.

Hearing Samus scream in that trailer made me change my opinion on her Japanese voice actress. They should have hired someone like the woman who does Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell (man, she has a beautiful voice). Someone who sounds like an adult anyway.

And Anthony's voice should be lower.

Otherwise it was nice.

[Nintex]

Mr. B Natural said:
Samus moves like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden despite not using a melee weapon, which defeats the entire design behind how ryu moves.

Jumps like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden despite the game probably (hopefully) ending up being platform heavy. Again, defeating design decisions made for ninja gaiden but don't apply to metroid. And platforming in ninja gaiden was a pain even when it wasn't essential every 2-seconds gameplay.

Presentation like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden despite this being a metroid game. Couldn't be more opposite unfitting unless this was a yoshi game. Of course I say that in jest, but a lot of Gaf would probably go cuckoo over a high octane yoshi experience.
Samus was very agile in Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission. She isn't supposed to move like a tank. She can roll up into a balll, salto around, wall jump and run incredibly fast in almost every Metroid game except the Prime series so it makes sense.

mantidor

[Nintex] said:
Samus was very agile in Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission. She isn't supposed to move like a tank. She can roll up into a balll, salto around, wall jump and run incredibly fast in almost every Metroid game except the Prime series so it makes sense.

She was also pretty agile in the Prime games, is just that first person isn't the best way to show that, but we could see it with the screw attack. Maybe a Mirror's edge / Metroid Prime combination could work? Before mirror's edge I didn't expect it would be possible to do fast platforming in first person and make it feel right.

My complains have been reduced to only one, the suit is way too yellow, it's a pain to the eyes and pops out in a bad way in any scenario of the game.

Top Bottom