• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Promised Neverland 21

Well I guess if there are humans demons that get along as equals or at least co-conspirators then the situation outside can't be a "Demon King beat the Hero" scenario

Man, this year went by far too quickly. Hope you all have a good Mono-Eye Day.

Best Manga of 2016

Only includes stuff I began reading this year, or picked up again from scratch. Added an extra row this year because of Madoka overload.

manga2016gtuc8.jpg

Left to right, no order:

Series
Madoka: Rebellion // Madoka: Homura Tamura // Madoka: Homura's Revenge // Madoka: Oriko Magica
Madoka: Different Story // Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen // Maou-jou de Oyasumi // School Mermaid 2
Yuzumori-san // Tousaku Shoujo Shoukougun // Tatoe Hai ni Natte mo // Fureru to Kikoeru
Nanashi to Asterism // Criminale!

One-shots
The Zombie Maria // What Would You Do If You Were To Die Tomorrow?

Best Series - Madoka: Rebellion
Best One-shot - What Would You Do If You Were To Die Tomorrow?
Worst Series - Hantsu x Trash

Best MC - Akemi Homura (Madoka: Rebellion and others)
Best Heroine - Osanga Satori (Fureru to Kikoeru) // Nanami Chiaki (Danganronpa: Chiaki Nanami's Goodbye Despair Quest)
Best Waifu - Cruel (Tatoe Hai ni Natte mo) (slightly NSFW)
Worst Character - Chikami (Onideka)

In 2017, my aim is for my manga backlog to have less entries by the end than it did at the beginnihahahahahahaha

Nanashi to Asterism 15-16
Ok, so you know she knows. But she doesn't know you know she knows. Nadeshiko scores points this time, plus a bonus mark for showing that Kotooka might actually have a blind spot. Meanwhile, Asakura's having a slight personal crisis. Lil' bro's playing a losing game here - there's no way the truth isn't going to be discovered eventually.

Promised Neverland 21

This manga is excellent.

They made you think Krone was an idiot or maybe just a brute, using the artstyle to make her terrifying but having her at a loss multiple times to the kids and then the past few chapters Krone's artstyle has slowly changed to be less monstrous and more realistic and she keeps putting the kids on their back feet once she enacts her plan. Just like they said, they underestimated her simply because 1. they got one over on her a couple times 2. she isn't Mama, and it blew up in their face because Krone is still a kid raised like them who became a...almost Mama? She got perfect scores too and had something that made them choose her.

Kids played right into her plan, and god damn did she lay out a big piece of bait at the end.

Frrrrrrrrr Kuware no Aware Whatever

Fuck why do I have trouble remembering the name of this?

Anyways, little sister Riko is best wingman and I'm curious what the secret is. That she knows the MC likes her? That the BF she confessed to is SECRETLY A GAY AT THE MC?!??! That's still my hope. That would be such an amazing twist.

Zweizer

Banned
Heart Gifts: Last Part

What a fucked up father she has.

Good thing this didn't turn into a tragedy. Let them build their happy future together far away from selfishly imposed dogmatic bullshit.

7 Seeds ch151

Man it's been so long since the last chapter. Arashi just can't catch a break it would seem.

Nanashi no Asterism ch15-16

It's like an espionage drama in romance form.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni ch17

That's one way to make an entrance.

upandaway

Promised Neverland 21

This manga is excellent.

They made you think Krone was an idiot or maybe just a brute, using the artstyle to make her terrifying but having her at a loss multiple times to the kids and then the past few chapters Krone's artstyle has slowly changed to be less monstrous and more realistic and she keeps putting the kids on their back feet once she enacts her plan. Just like they said, they underestimated her simply because 1. they got one over on her a couple times 2. she isn't Mama, and it blew up in their face because Krone is still a kid raised like them who became a...almost Mama? She got perfect scores too and had something that made them choose her.

Kids played right into her plan, and god damn did she lay out a big piece of bait at the end.
All of the detail and flashback-y moments for her makes me think that the escape failing is still an option (for emma at least), even if it fails if she's chosen by Mama then there's plenty of possible story left with Emma trying to progress/escape along the route Krone took. The whole thing sounds pretty developed and intriguing.

All of the detail and flashback-y moments for her makes me think that the escape failing is still an option (for emma at least), even if it fails if she's chosen by Mama then there's plenty of possible story left with Emma trying to progress/escape along the route Krone took. The whole thing sounds pretty developed and intriguing.

Could be an interesting way for it to play out.

The writing is so tight because the author keeps having a character react or reveal something due to some shit he drew 10 chapters before so he has to have had some of this meticulously planned out, drawing one off moments that he doesn't focus on and then show that someone saw it or some character did something and incorporate it into the ongoing narrative.

Also, something small that Krone dropped is that the "demons" aren't called demons, that no one outside the orphanage calls them that.

Conan-san

I'd like to see that route try and survive the polls.

cntr

Banned
No, this week's chapters should come out in the magazine on January 2nd, so Viz should have it on the same day.

But there won't be anything new for that week.

Arabesque

ok I have no idea how this schedule works anymore

Jump is off 4 times a year, once on Golden Week, once on Obon, and twice near year's end for Christmas and New Years.

They had their Christmas break, and now the magazine is off on January 2nd for New Years. Obviously, the magazine is printed much earlier because everyone if off on holiday, so once they get back, it is shipped on January 8th/9th as scheduled.

Raw providers got their hands on the issue early, which is why it's out on scanlation sites.

Arabesque

To be frank, Japanese distribution for magazines should be changed given that these things still happen, years after them getting more serious about cracking down on early leaks, but *shrug*

What I suspect:

- Escape plan fails
- Sister Krone is defeated by Norman, Ray & Emma.
- Norman "dies"
- Ray escapes
- Either one of Don/Gilda will die
- Either one of Don/Gilda will successfully escape with Ray
- Everyone else fails the escape, but will still be unaware of the truth
- Emma takes the Mama Programme
- Story shifts to Emma as sole protagonist in the Mama Tournament Arc

Arabesque

I stopped reading Real for a while after having it feel like it was making depressed.

Picked it up again, but it isn't a light read. Real (ha!) heavy stuff.

I liked real as well but stoppe reading it for some reason. Still one of my favorite mangaka.

Because the last volume for Real came out 2 years ago?

Inoue Takehito is a tough author to keep on a consistent basis, especially with Vagabond now in hiatus. I've pretty much resigned to waiting for Real to finish before picking it up again.

Inoue Takehito is a tough author to keep on a consistent basis, especially with Vagabond now in hiatus. I've pretty much resigned to waiting for Real to finish before picking it up again.

That's nothing, though. It's been like 8 years for Nana now.

TheFlow

Banned

I didn't even make it to the last volume.

Fureru to Kikoeru 15
KEEP YOUR PROMISE. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO INTERFERE WITH THE TRUE ROUTE. For a story with two mind readers, there're a disproportionate number of <unknowns> still around. Give me Satori's power and I'd have everything wrapped up by chp 2.

Arabesque

I wonder what's the manga with the longest hiatus, ongoing or not?

Clamp had said they always intended to go back and conclude X/1999 someday in the future.

It's been nearly a decade and a half now

The longest would probably go to something super obscure.

The longest for me is Beet the Vandel Buster.

10 year hiatus from 2006 to 2016.

At least once it came back, they finished the arc they left off on.

I guess they will just conclude the series on the current schedule in 2 years time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna

This dude could give Rito a run for his money. I mean it's basically just TLR combined with One Punch Man.

Ninja > Ninja Cousin > Ghost > Neko > Classmate > Eyepatch > Drunk

Zweizer

Banned
Mob Psycho 100 ch1-97.12 by ONE

Shigeo Kageyama, AKA Mob, is a timid and unremarkable midschooler. He's frail, somewhat dim-witted, naive, and plain-looking. His biggest wish is to one day be able to go out with Tsubomi, the school idol. Until then, he lives a relatively normal life doing his best at school, at home, and at his part-time work at Reigen, the world's greatest psychic, 's office, solving supernatural cases and exorcising ghosts and such.

Oh, yeah, Mob is an esper.

Oh, and he's not the only one.

Mob Psycho 100 takes a deliberately generic and cliché concept about humans with superpowers in normal society, and subtly turns it on its head. Instead of embracing his powers, Mob is above all else concerned about living a normal life. The story itself is rather simple, and follows most classic developments of its genre, but rather than either romanticizing or diabolizing the psychic abilities or its characters, it outlines how petty most of them are about being or becoming something they never were, and how pointless it ultimately is to grab power and fame through supernatural means.

Unless it's about paying Reigen's bills, of course.

Read it for the real MVPs: Reigen and Dimple.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Promised Neverland 21 For the record, I really like this. But I've been mulling over people saying not enough is happening, and while I don't mind it, I get where they're coming from. I think I figured out the biggest problem with PN, and it's been a problem since chapter 1. It's the art. The framing/angles/images are, for the most part, not that interesting. Like in this chapter, where they asked Krone two question in rapid succession, and it had more or less the same panel for each of her answers(didn't paste the same panel, artist clearly redrew it, but still, same close-up angle and such).

I think the solution is more abstract art, focus less on accurate portrayals and more symbolic images and such to get points or feelings across. Look at Magi, it has weird art all over the place. Here's an album of some abstract stuff to demonstrate what I mean And the artist of PN can do abstract, their cover images are always gorgeous and full of symbolism! Putting them directly into the narrative I think would really help with the feeling "nothing" is happening. As of now, PN is kind of boring to look at :/

I loved the Sword Art Online Abridged so much it made me want to read the original material. Is there a manga version worth it or should I get the light novels ? Thanks !

cntr

Banned
I loved the Sword Art Online Abridged so much it made me want to read the original material. Is there a manga version worth it or should I get the light novels ? Thanks !
Sword Art Online is really bad, which is why the Abridged version is funny. You probably won't like the original.

Ray Down

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLC3RkXnp34

"Happy New Year, everyone!

I'm Eiichiro Oda, the author of ONE PIECE.

My editors declared that they will make efforts on Twitter. They frequently asks me to have a greeting toward readers on Twitter.

I don't wanna see editors' sad faces (LIE), so I'd like to post my first tweet. Let's have a nice new year.

ONE PIECE has entered 20th anniversary this year, everyone!! I'll do my best.

I wanted to make this post my greetings, but editors scolded me that the tweet must be within 140 characters.
I don't care about it! Be sure to follow us."

http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=44675&page=4&p=3740478&viewfull=1#post3740478

Ray Down

Banned
The Watsuki incident?
Jump used to do New Years covers where they had the authors real faces on the cover.

There was one where Watsuki (author of Kenshin & Oda sensei)was on the cover and he wasn't in the best shape.

Both him and Jump got lots of mail commenting on his weight and lots of hate and rude remarks being thrown his way.

Since then Jump authors will rarely appear in videos or have images of then out unless they are healthy looking and fit.

Oda commented before in 2016 he's not in the best shape and is trying to get healthier so we won't see his face again for some time.

Don't know if I got the full story right, this was from Sandman a famous OP buff.

Arabesque

I know Watsuki dealt with a lot of crazy people, and that does sound familiar enough.

It all falls under how crazy people deal with famous people. Even giving a cursory glance at twitter for example gives you an idea why mangaka don't want to deal with that shit.

Lily ties (NSFW doujin)

hz0RZKS.jpg

Mistress-Maid Yuriyuri
NTR
Manga. A thought-provoking examination of outdated upper societal conventions. Or something. Well, it's pretty harmless as far as this stuff goes, with a tolerable compromise ending and the promise of future flower garden romps.

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna

This dude could give Rito a run for his money. I mean it's basically just TLR combined with One Punch Man.

Ninja > Ninja Cousin > Ghost > Neko > Classmate > Eyepatch > Drunk
Switch Ninja and Eyepatch and this is almost 100% accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom