• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

duckroll shed some light on that:
Well yeah but
semttulot9u4e.png

that is some horrendous work if it is the case.

Last night i tweeted RCS asking if he was still doing VA for Chris going forward and ...

Well...a tad curious, if not unexpected.

https://twitter.com/RogerCraigSmith/status/821170526689234944

I really hope its just an awkward timing type thing

RCS has grown like crazy recently so maybe he was too expensive for a single line or two,
and that Vendetta is just because its va is done by a typical cheap anime dub studio

Honestly the Japanese actor thing wouldn't surprise me if they maybe had a DLC with Chris and the Japanese actor is already locked in compared to localization.
Though it is also easier for Japanese developers to get a voice actor in the studio for a couple lines.

Blueblur1

Wow, this game is going to be something special, isn't it?

After I started watching all the spoilers I've started thinking that the game may be a memorable experience but not a great game. If the rest of the game plays out like the intro and tanker scenarios the game will be a considerably drab Resident Evil game.

Based on all the footage leaked thus far it seems *extremely* linear because all the footage has shown that the player is always required to complete one specific step before moving onto the next specific step. And that wouldn't be so bad if the game had a lot of action and combat encounters that allowed different tactics (like RE4 and RE5) but it doesn't look like it does. From a progression standpoint RE games have always been linear but the best ones had either (a) strong combat encounters or (b) linear gameplay that allowed a small amount of variety in tackling objectives. What I'm referring to there is how classic RE games played out with items like keys. Certain keys opened multiple rooms which gave the player *some* choice in going about the completion of the game. Sometimes that resulted in skipping scenes or items (usually weapons). Ultimately it resulted in a lot more running around but the order of operations was up to the player.

RE7 footage has unfortunately shown that the player has to open drawer A for Key 1. Then opens the door with Key 1 but is stopped by a cutscene. Then the player runs back to another room triggering another cutscene. And finally when the player has actually resumed control of Ethan the player has to travel to room X then to Room Y in that order.

That sounds like a poor man's Resident Evil. Being able to explore areas in a somewhat unlinear fashion and eventually finding your way forward is something I feel is key to classic Resident Evil. I'm concerned that's not present in RE7. And if it isn't and what we have something *extremely* linear then I don't see how the game could be seen as a strong entry in the series.

But hopefully the other chapters/sections are stronger and are more akin to classic Resident Evil games.

(And if any of that sounds like rambling then my bad. I'm up typing this at 2am when I should be sleeping.)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
After I started watching all the spoilers I've started thinking that the game may be a memorable experience but not a great game. If the rest of the game plays out like the intro and tanker scenarios the game will be a considerably drab Resident Evil game.

Based on all the footage leaked thus far it seems *extremely* linear because all the footage has shown that the player is always required to complete one specific step before moving onto the next specific step. And that wouldn't be so bad if the game had a lot of action and combat encounters that allowed different tactics (like RE4 and RE5) but it doesn't look like it does. From a progression standpoint RE games have always been linear but the best ones had either (a) strong combat encounters or (b) linear gameplay that allowed a small amount of variety in tackling objectives. What I'm referring to there is how classic RE games played out with items like keys. Certain keys opened multiple rooms which gave the player *some* choice in going about the completion of the game. Sometimes that resulted in skipping scenes or items (usually weapons). Ultimately it resulted in a lot more running around but the order of operations was up to the player.

RE7 footage has unfortunately shown that the player has to open drawer A for Key 1. Then opens the door with Key 1 but is stopped by a cutscene. Then the player runs back to another room triggering another cutscene. And finally when the player has actually resumed control of Ethan the player has to travel to room X then to Room Y in that order.

That sounds like a poor man's Resident Evil. Being able to explore areas in a somewhat unlinear fashion and eventually finding your way forward is something I feel is key to classic Resident Evil. I'm concerned that's not present in RE7. And if it isn't and what we have something *extremely* linear then I don't see how the game could be seen as a strong entry in the series.

But hopefully the other chapters/sections are stronger and are more akin to classic Resident Evil games.

(And if any of that sounds like rambling then my bad. I'm up typing this at 2am when I should be sleeping.)

I need to stop peeping in this topic, I may be seriously spoiled eventually. I've been lucky so far.

Anyways, did see your post. And while I can't say as I've been avoiding the spoiler footage, I think it might be a lot less scripted pathway than you think it is.

Firstly, I do know for a fact a number of scenes are completely optional/contextual. The early examples we know of is Jack breaking through the wall, destroying the table, or cutting off your foot in the first area, both of which are actually not scripted events but contextual. I hear some are far more common to occur and some far rarer to happen.

The next thing is the game has a high number of secrets and things to discover. The few I know is that there's a number of optional weapons to get by doing side-quest things, the pump shotgun, machine gun, grenade launcher, and double barrel shotgun I know are all completely optional weapons you can obtain by doing optional things, and there's probably more I don't know about on-top of that.

The next thing is many situations have multiple solutions to them. The one I know most in detail is the first boss battle, but I hear many boss battles and bits are designed like this. In the Garage Fight, you can kill Jack simply by shooting him enough. Hell, you can also knife him to death. You also can get the keys and kill him with the car. Or Jack will grab the car from you if you let him and trigger a scene. There's also one other method involving the environment I know of.

A lot of people who played the 3-5 hours and watched others played also reported various scenes they saw happen to others never happened to them, and they tried playing in different playstyles than others, and RE7 accommodated different sorts of playstyles to different situations rather than having one solution to any given situation.

It'll be linear in that you have goals, but it's not akin to an on-rail shooter and that's not too far off from what the rest of the series does anyway. You get a key that opens up multiple doors or a single door, and eventually you need to go through that door to progress, but there's a lot more going on between A and B than just a straight path, and a lot of things off to the side. In RE7's case, there's also a lot of optional things to do and context-sensitive situations that can trigger based on players options at any given moment.

I won't know the full extent, nor will anyone I guess, until we have more of a formulated opinion, but it really doesn't seem to me that RE7 is any more linear than any other RE game. In many ways it provides more options than many RE games actually from what I know. But that's not to say it's a game of freedom and do anything you want, it is a campaign game with set points that are going to happen. But that's on par with the rest of the series. Even the classics had very scripted moments especially when transitioning between areas.

KyleCross

So can someone pm me a link to a full playthrough?

As far as I know there isn't any. Someone has been uploaded entire sections of the game to Dailymotion, but not a full playthrough. The dude who's been uploading on Dailymotion deletes his videos after a couple hours. Current his channel is blank at the time of this post, his name is IsNotHunk.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Dusk Golem, you really need to avoid this topic from here on out. Don't be like me. And the game looks absolutely stupendous. It's everything you have been hyping and then some.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Full list of actors who provided their likeness for Resident Evil 7 using the Photogrammetry system they used for the game: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228523103&postcount=218

Dusk Golem, you really need to avoid this topic from here on out. Don't be like me. And the game looks absolutely stupendous. It's everything you have been hyping and then some.

Okay, I'll duck out except to post things, but won't reply to anything else now since just will run by things relevant here like the above.

You're totally right, so... ;3;

hotcyder

When asked about the title of the game (Resident Evil 7 Biohazard, or Biohazard 7 Resident Evil), director Nakanishi Koushi said that the game would explain why it has this unified title.
Did anyone find the answer as to why the two titles come together for the first time (Western and Japanese)?

The Baker Plantation has Resident Evil, it's also a bit of a Biohazard.

KyleCross

Yeah, it's definitely going to star Chris and be action focused from the sounds of that info.

Also, I understand why people are doing it, but we really should stop calling the character HUNK. It is speculation. It makes no sense that it'd be Chris and makes a lot of sense that it'd be HUNK, but the bottom line is the game calls the character Chris Redfield and until we get anything more on the matter we have to accept that.

me0wish

Based on all the footage leaked thus far it seems *extremely* linear because all the footage has shown that the player is always required to complete one specific step before moving onto the next specific step. And that wouldn't be so bad if the game had a lot of action and combat encounters that allowed different tactics.

Game is definitely more linear than older RE game, you never feel lost, and you always know what to do and where to go. 5 hours in and I only had one optional room I had to go in
to do the shotgun "quest".

the regular enemies are encountered
much later in the game, so far I've only found them in one area.
I've had more encounters with Bakers than I had with regular enemies. Each encounter with the Bakers was super fun and unique, and allows for different tactics and approaches to the situation.

Exploration and pacing are the two things feel most similar to older games.

HUGE SPOILERS
just killed Jack, his last boss fight was REALLY fun, it's a chainsaw duel to the death. He's using a over the top, chainsaw scissor to kill you,
one of the most fun boss fights this gen.

From here on out, everything that comes will be completely new and not shown in the trailer.

So far, the story is a bit disappointing and going into the realm of predictable, but I still find it intriguing and pretty good, maybe my predictions are off, who knows.

Edit: that was around 3 hours 30 minutes into the game, I didn't count the times we've stopped.

I didn't want to read through all the spoilers just in case I may pick this up at some point so I apologize if it's been asked several times in advance.

1. What's the consensus on the combat including its frequency?
2. Do the immortal Bakers show up rather infrequently like Nemesis did or is it rather often?
3. Is the combat focus mainly on the Bakers and is it hide and seek?
4. How are the puzzles band backtracking?

I didn't want to read through all the spoilers just in case I may pick this up at some point so I apologize if it's been asked several times in advance.

1. What's the consensus on the combat including its frequency?
2. Do the immortal Bakers show up rather infrequently like Nemesis did or is it rather often?
3. Is the combat focus mainly on the Bakers and is it hide and seek?
4. How are the puzzles band backtracking?

1. We haven't seen a ton, but the combat looks ok. There's a lot of options later in the game between melee, guns, and explosives. The frequency is probably the least of all the games, but depending on how quickly you move through the game they aren't too far apart.

2. It's something in between. Again, it depends on how fast you progress. Their appearance is scripted, and how quick you do what you need to do will determine how long that lasts. There's 2 instances in Ch. 3 for example.

3. It starts with the Bakers and then becomes more focused on others as the game progresses. It's not hide and seek so much as a nuisance to deal with as you see fit while you're dowing your exploration/objective, in place of just filling the area with zombies or whatever. They can be fought and downed for up to a couple of minutes on easier difficulties.

4. It doesn't seem that you have to backtrack outside/between the house sections as much as other titles of its nature.

me0wish

We're five hours in
just killed Margaret
, we've collected almost 50% of each collectable, I can't see the game being more than 11 hours and I'm the kind of player that really takes his time exploring every inch of every area.

So far the strongest part of the game was the first hour.

Sanctuary

We're five hours in
just killed Margaret
, we've collected almost 50% of each collectable, I can't see the game being more than 11 hours and I'm the kind of player that really takes his time exploring every inch of every area.

One streamer finished the game on his first playthrough in seven hours. They probably weren't going out of their way to scour for collectibles either, so 7-11 hours sounds about right. I don't personally mind though, and didn't see how a "survival horror" or "horror" game's pacing could support 15-20 hours anyway. It's also not welcome news that the first hour was the best (so far), since it sounds like the most boring gameplay wise.

DukeBobby

We're five hours in
just killed Margaret

That sounds like the perfect length to me.

Alien Isolation has proven that it is possible for a survival horror game to be too long.

Fury451

Banned
One streamer finished the game on his first playthrough in seven hours. They probably weren't going out of their way to scour for collectibles either, so 7-11 hours sounds about right. I don't personally mind though, and didn't see how a "survival horror" or "horror" game's pacing could support 15-20 hours anyway. It's also not welcome news that the first hour was the best (so far), since it sounds like the most boring gameplay wise.

Alien: Isolation is a testament to this, it was far longer than it should've been and enjoyment dropped off sharply for me personally around the 9-10 hour mark.

Honestly 7-11 hours for RE7 maximum sounds pleasant. Maybe if it were in the third-person action style of 4, 5 or 6 then 15+ would be fine.

I don't personally mind though, and didn't see how a "survival horror" or "horror" game's pacing could support 15-20 hours anyway
RE4 lasted about 15hrs on my first playthrough
Alien: Isolation is a testament to this, it was far longer than it should've been and enjoyment dropped off sharply for me personally around the 9-10 hour mark.

Honestly 7-11 hours for RE7 maximum sounds pleasant. Maybe if it were in the third-person action style of 4, 5 or 6 then 15+ would be fine.

That sounds like the perfect length to me.

Alien Isolation has proven that it is possible for a survival horror game to be too long.

Fully agree on Isolation but I rather enjoyed the second half of the game. The game dragged on forever and really clicked about 5-6 hrs into it. I was just clearing out my backlog so went into Isolation with that attitude but the game did click by the end.

1. We haven't seen a ton, but the combat looks ok. There's a lot of options later in the game between melee, guns, and explosives. The frequency is probably the least of all the games, but depending on how quickly you move through the game they aren't too far apart.

2. It's something in between. Again, it depends on how fast you progress. Their appearance is scripted, and how quick you do what you need to do will determine how long that lasts. There's 2 instances in Ch. 3 for example.

3. It starts with the Bakers and then becomes more focused on others as the game progresses. It's not hide and seek so much as a nuisance to deal with as you see fit while you're dowing your exploration/objective, in place of just filling the area with zombies or whatever. They can be fought and downed for up to a couple of minutes on easier difficulties.

4. It doesn't seem that you have to backtrack outside/between the house sections as much as other titles of its nature.

Thanks, appreciate it. I've shared my issues with the demo and game impressions too many times before and don't want to be a whiny bitch but I do keep hoping that the impressions win me over. I'll wait and see. The Bakers being some constant looming boogey-men that can only be held at bay is really the worst aspect for me about this game and reading stuff like them only being kept down for several minutes at a time kind of validates my initial impression that they'd be obnoxious to be honest.

Sanctuary

RE4 lasted about 15hrs on my first playthrough

Not to get into the "it's just an action game" argument, but the tone and pacing were changed quite a bit over the previous games. It was more arcade like, and there was a great balance of action and quieter moments. The campaign did seem a bit longer than the previous games, but it never overstayed its welcome either.

Fury451

Banned
Fully agree on Isolation but I rather enjoyed the second half of the game. The game dragged on forever and really clicked about 5-6 hrs into it. I was just clearing out my backlog so went into Isolation with that attitude but the game did click by the end.

Agree, it could've used some editing in the midsection really.

I'm not looking!!!!!

What's happening in here, quote me so I know which post to look at. Are there impressions out there? Spoiler free ones? Or is this all leaked stuff.

Top Bottom