• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 announced

Suzzopher

That teaser has me pumped for the third game. Judging by that trailer Sony must be backing this big time. I hope they promote it better than they have with the series before.

.la1n

shagg_187 said:

what I mean is, I'm tired of these teaser videos where we don't see anything or learn anything new. I want to know details about the game and actually see the thing before I start getting hyped. This type of marketing isn't going to hype anyone (well except for people who get hyped over anything anyway.)

It just feels like one big slap in the face to gamers, like "we are going to show you resistance 3!" but it's live action only hahaha suck on that. Hope you are all TEASED.

Cornbread78 said:
Don;t act like you didn't add to the pile....
Believe me, if I wanted to, I could make a pile all on my own

dr-manhattan-pile.jpg

But yeah, ahem, how bout that Resistance 3 huh?

Cornbread78

NullPointer said:
Believe me, if I wanted to, I could make a pile all on my own

dr-manhattan-pile.jpg

But yeah, ahem, how bout that Resistance 3 huh?

Blame it on Fersis..... It's his fault:D

Holy crap. JT you sly dog...

Das-J

Law of the West
kallisto76 said:
the teaser is a masterpiece, hype +1000

No doubt - I've always loved live-action trailers, but this could be the best one to date.

Serious excite in pants!

M3Freak

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Commie!

R2 to me is the only smug on Insomniac's great record of games, and I still liked R2 MP a great deal. I'm willing to see what they have got.

Yeah, it's no Rod Stewart but I still liked it :D

BWAHAHAH

.la1n said:
what I mean is, I'm tired of these teaser videos where we don't see anything or learn anything new. I want to know details about the game and actually see the thing before I start getting hyped. This type of marketing isn't going to hype anyone (well except for people who get hyped over anything anyway.)

It just feels like one big slap in the face to gamers, like "we are going to show you resistance 3!" but it's live action only hahaha suck on that. Hope you are all TEASED.

2011, man. 2011. You have loads of time to see what they're going to show you. What do you want to see? It's a sequel. It's a shooter. It's alternate history. You have a massive backstory as a support. Teaser trailer revealed alot about the game, the location it's going to be in, the change of environment, the time and era, the possibility of 4-player co-op. This is better than the other teaser trailers they show when you wait 1 minute of dialogue only to see the game logo with the words "coming soon".

It's a brilliant teaser and you're just pissed cause you got teased: Job well done, promote the marketing guy.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Fantastic teaser trailer. Did it's job.
My anticipation for some gameplay footage is off the charts.

Corto

The trailer gave me a really strong feeling of despair, scarcity of resources, and desolation... Now how will that translate into gameplay remains to be seen... :D

WinFonda said:
Resistance 2's story was too militarized. It's tiring when everything is framed from the point of view of a military operation. And Hale didn't have much dialog other than receiving/giving orders. It was very Modern Warfare. In Resistance 1 Hale was of course a soldier, but he went MIA and it quickly transformed more into a personal struggle for survival as he became more and more isolated.

I like the implied focus on a small group of people with disparate origins--the "average joe" human struggle and resistance against the chimera.

Well wrote! My feelings exactly. Fight with whatever you can hoard and with whoever happens to be on your side.

WinFonda

Resistance 2's story was too militarized. It's tiring when everything is framed from the point of view of a military operation. And Hale didn't have much dialog other than receiving/giving orders. It was very Modern Warfare. In Resistance 1 Hale was of course a soldier, but he went MIA and it quickly transformed more into a personal struggle for survival as he became more and more isolated.

I like the implied focus on a small group of people with disparate origins--the "average joe" human struggle and resistance against the chimera.

WinFonda said:
Same here. I don't think the comparison to L4D is a bad one. Its not often that we feel like we're actually saving something in most shooters.

If its rag tag humanity against the Chimera, sign me up.

Suzzopher

RFOM was a game where you met with small groups of soldiers, who were just holding on and it felt tense and sometimes they tried to get a scare or two from the player. R2 was nothing like that. It was more Halo/COD. That trailer suggest we are going in the right direction again. Even the PSP game felt like a proper sequel.

Trick_GSF

Banned
The Resistance Series is building up a rich lore. A story that I really give a shit about. That is all I ever cared about.

I cannot wait for R3.

womfalcs3

Banned
Loved RFOM. Liked R2. Looking forward to the third. I want to see how the story continues after the ending of the second installment, and I think the multiplayer is fun.

Xav

Trailer sucked, if your not going to show anything then don't bother in the first place. The first two games were pretty decent, they both had their good points and bad. I'll check out Resistance 3 when I see it for cheap.

Liked both games a lot.

I prefer the first over the second, and this looks like it may have a different feel to it again.

Either way, I'm sure it will be good. Insomniac have been my favourite PS3 dev this gen. Over 1/4 of my PS3 library is made up of Insomniacs PS3 games.

jonnyp

Synless said:
R2 in no way looked like complete ass. I thought it was a pretty damn good looking game. It was no Uncharted or Killzone, but it was still better than laugh worthy.

Some parts looked really good, some parts looked really bad. On the whole, an average looking game as well as average gameplay-wise. Still, better than the less than average first installment.

Hope R3 delivers an overall better experience than its predecessors did.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Suzzopher said:
I think it's for the best.
eh, I'd be interested to see how they'd dig themselves out of that predicament at the end of 2, rather than just retconning it.

Interested as I enjoyed Resistance 1 and 2, but as others have said I get a L4D vibe also. Not sure how I feel about that since no other details have been released but if they only allow for battles at night I will likely be disappointed. I dig the creepy vibe though.

d0c_zaius

Marketing seems all over the place with this one, which isn't reassuring.

L4D vibe meets Halo: ODST live action trailer-ness.

Persona7

Banned
Horsebite said:
Resistance 2 was the first title I bought for my PS3 and I literally LOL'd at the graphics when I loaded the game up. Hope the next title actually looks like it's on the PS3.
Yeah, it was a pretty terrible game and it was funny because the second game looked and played worst than the first.

I remember there was an entire section that was missing textures and I thought my game had glitched but it didn't.

Hmm... the beginning reminded me very much of the Half Life 2 universe while the end is very much Left 4 Dead.

Glad to see them scale back the sci-fi so that it is more like R:FoM in setting. Also nice to see that the title (at least as reflected by the trailer) has more to do with a personal underground resistance rather than a fully funded militarized resistance.

I am more than happy to see the story move on to other people in the universe than Hale.

However, I do hope that the co-op is a much evolved version of co-op in R2.

Love the trailer IG. Looking forward to some gameplay reveals rather than just live action and stills like R2.

.la1n

shagg_187 said:
2011, man. 2011. You have loads of time to see what they're going to show you. What do you want to see? It's a sequel. It's a shooter. It's alternate history. You have a massive backstory as a support. Teaser trailer revealed alot about the game, the location it's going to be in, the change of environment, the time and era, the possibility of 4-player co-op. This is better than the other teaser trailers they show when you wait 1 minute of dialogue only to see the game logo with the words "coming soon".

It's a brilliant teaser and you're just pissed cause you got teased: Job well done, promote the marketing guy.

I'm not even in support of 1 minute of dialogue trailers with coming soon and a logo. I'm saying if you can't show some actual gameplay then why waste the time and energy on something like this? I already knew where they were taking the third after having played the first two, what I want to know is did they learn from any of the mistakes created by R2 and this trailer does nothing to remedy that.

Basically, hype on hold until a real trailer emerges at some point. I'm not angry at getting teased, if anything it's just turned me more off to the game then R2 had already accomplished. After that game I don't see how anyone can have anything but skeptic optimism especially with a trailer that shows us nothing about how the game will play.

edit: I'm also not in the business of kissing game companies asses, if they release something subpar and follow it directly up with a craptastic trailer i'm not going to sing there praises throughout the forums.

JB1981

wow what a well produced live-action trailer. i guess, like others have said, this game will have some kind of survival-horror co-op elements, maybe? Can't imagine the entire game will focus on a group of people. The imagery in the trailer was fantastic, loved the tasteful integration of the cg (widowmakers!!) and the iconography from the series.

it looks like the chimera will be truly terrifying in this game, which is the way they should have been all along. I am very much digging the tone, just hope it translates over to the game this time. very excited after watching this. thumbs up, ted price.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kaching said:
eh, I'd be interested to see how they'd dig themselves out of that predicament at the end of 2, rather than just retconning it.

They might simply ignore it, in a way. That was the (sad) end of Natan Hale's history with the Chimera invasion. Period. Now the Earth is totally under Chimera control. You are one of the survivors having to deal with it. Perhaps you meet up with that guy (forgot the name) that killed Hale, now member if not leader of a desperate resistance group.

TTP said:
They might simply ignore it, in a way. That was the (sad) end of Natan Hale's history with the Chimera invasion. Period. Now the Earth is totally under Chimera control. You are one of the survivors having to deal with it. Perhaps you meet up with that guy (forgot the name) that killed Hale, now member if not leader of a desperate resistance group.

I'd dig that. In fact I'd love that.

Melchiah

TTP said:

The teaser, and what you just said, made me think if they'd go somewhere along The Walking Dead/The Road direction?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TTP said:
I don't think it's after the end of R2 since it didn't show the planets of the Chimeran solar system in the sky. It may have just been too tough of an effect to get into that trailer though. Someone also said that Ted mentioned it was kind of a mid-quel in his reveal, although I'm not sure how legit that quote is. I do like the idea of setting it somewhere else after the end of R2. I think it would be cool if Capelli showed up in that kind of a role though. He wouldn't be a particularly engaging player character but could still be an important NPC.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
RoboPlato said:
I don't think it's after the end of R2 since it didn't show the planets of the Chimeran solar system in the sky. Someone also said that Ted mentioned it was kind of a mid-quel in his reveal, although I'm not sure how legit that quote is. I think it would be cool if Capelli showed up in that kind of a role though. He wouldn't be a particularly engaging player character but could still be an important NPC.

Wasn't that just some kind of vision Hale had? Or was it real? Fuzzy memory.

V_Ben

Banned
TTP said:

God, that sounds like a good plot for them to use. really sounds like The Road, and I would really dig that kind of atmosphere :D

Top Bottom