• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 announced

Trailer looks awesome... I hope the narrative really rocks this time. R2's had great promise, but left me feeling cold by the end of it... I thought the ending was stupid.

Wow, the teaser got me hyped for sure!!!!! I love the color palate in the trailer and I feel like this proves they will go back to there wheelhouse with this one!!!!!!!

V_Ben

Banned
nskinnear said:
Nah, you're not alone in liking R2. I personally loved the game, especially the mutiplayer. The main campaign could have been a lot better, but even that wasn't as terrible as most people make it out to be.

Add me to that list. It was a great game, but not without its faults. Loved the multiplayer :D

Violater

nskinnear said:

Valid point, but almost every shooter now can be accused of that.
I just have a pet peeve with the overall cartoony look that was in R2, the character modeling even some of the enemies looked like R&C cut and pastes

Best announcement of Gamescom for me so far. I've always loved the Resistance universe and was really worried that Sony would let the franchise die after the Insomniac separation drama. I'm extremely happy to hear that's not the case. I can't wait for more information on the game. Particularly about the campaign, but Insomniac did some cool stuff with Co-Op in R2 and now I actually have a friend who has a PS3 and plays games with me on PSN, so maybe I can really get into R3's multiplayer full time. Can't wait!

Trick_GSF

Banned
Just saw this posted on the Resistance forums. Thank you to "Draicus" who originally posted this.

jl6snk.png

Capelli protagonist?

(Sorry if this has been posted, I've not had time to go through the whole thread)

Achtius

Trick_GSF said:
Just saw this posted on the Resistance forums.

[IM G]http://i34.tinypic.com/jl6snk.png[/IMG]

Capelli protagonist?

(Sorry if this has been posted, I've not had time to go through the whole thread)

Oh wow. nice catch.

-Winnie-

Trick_GSF said:
Just saw this posted on the Resistance forums.

http://i34.tinypic.com/jl6snk.png[IMG]

Capelli protagonist?

(Sorry if this has been posted, I've not had time to go through the whole thread)[/QUOTE]

Ohshit. I'm very interested in how they handle the story if this actually continues R2 and isn't a prequel or something like that. Mankind is in quite a shithole after R2. :lol

nskinnear said:
Interesting.

If Capelli ends up being the main protagonist of R3, we can probably assume that (R2 story spoilers)
Hale has either a) died, or b) become the enemy
I'd say (more R2 story spoilers)
bullet to the head pretty much guarantees option A. Not sure how they'd walk around that, to be honest. Not sure if I'd want them to either.

-PXG-

Dear Insomniac,

Don't make it anything like R2. You were on the right track with the first game

Love,

-PXG-

-PXG-

Okay, that trailer was fucking dope.

From the looks of it, I guess R3 focuses on a group of civilians, fighting Chimera, traveling cross-country to New York City. Like others have said, I get a big L4D vibe already.

So far so good. Just don't fuck it up.

Achtius

nskinnear said:
Yeah, I don't see how Hale could live through something like that. Just for the story's sake, I hope he's dead.

I'd gladly welcome Capelli (or anyone else, really) to replace Hale as the main protagonist. Hale had zero personality. Replace him with any other bald soldier and you'd most likely get the same reaction from people -- indifference. At least with a new protagonist, they would have a chance to start over and create a character that I might actually want to play as.

You should read the book. It gave some details about his personal life and family.

rexor0717

Oooh, I hope Hale is a persistent enemy throughout the game. That would be great.
I hope this one has an ARG too, I really enjoyed the previous one.

Achtius said:
You should read the book. It gave some details about his personal life and family.
You shouldn't have to read a book to understand Hale's personality. As far as I'm concerned, he is just another bald marine that shoots stuff. That being said, I would like to read a Resistance book. I enjoy the universe.

Hopefully this one isn't rushed out the door to compete for the holiday dollars (or whatever the fuck happened with the mess that was the last game...).

I loved the first one, took the time to get all the skill points and whatnot... hopefully this will deliver.

Veelk

Banned
Playing as Capelli will only result in me dying way more than I should because I'll constantly be throwing myself in the most likely to die scenerio only to see Capelli suffer.

TEH-CJ

Banned
are the sound effects in the teaser any indication of what the game will sound like?

I remember someone from insomniac said the sound effects in R2 cutscenes are samples taken from the game. but the game play sound effect in R2 sounded like crap.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Generic said:
Playing as Capelli will only result in me dying way more than I should because I'll constantly be throwing myself in the most likely to die scenerio only to see Capelli suffer.

why ? lol

Wow, some people are really good at analyzing videos. I wonder if there's any other hints in the the teaser. Capelli being the main character makes sense after Resistance 2, and I certainly wouldn't mind playing as him at all.

Jubs

lastinline said:
Wow, some people are really good at analyzing videos. I wonder if there's any other hints in the the teaser. Capelli being the main character makes sense after Resistance 2, and I certainly wouldn't mind playing as him at all.

This guy did a breakdown of the vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFkVYxCjXHs

He doesn't make the Cappelli connection, but he does point out a few interesting notes.

Beowulf28

Meh trailer didn't much for me. After the disappointment of R2 its going to take some real in game footage to convince me this game isn't going down the R2 route.

Proelite

The train doesn't belong and doesn't make sense. Why hasn't it being destroyed by the Chimera. Why is it ferrying people into tunnels full of Chimera.

My assumption is that this teaser doesn't present much besides the fact that the game will primarily be featured in NYC. All the previous live-action trailers for Resistance were also very misleading when it came to plot.

Oneself

jstevenson said:
ok, one thing. The atmosphere in the trailer is us trying to show the atmosphere we're going for in the game.

all I can say for now, but much to come. very excited about R3.

Hype confirmed. I can't wait to see the damn game!:D

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
demosthenes said:
If R3 ends up being inspired by Left 4 Dead, I won't be complaining but I'm sure we'll be seeing hundreds of angry/backlash posts about it.

If it is anything other than a Left 4 Dead clone I'll be really surprised.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
The trailer really made me thing it will be a Left 4 Dead like game, but with more than just 4 people. Color me interested if that is the case. :D

dalin80

Banned
They both came across like douchbags in R2 but that may be more down to R2's poor story telling.

Would be awesome if cartwright make a quick trip across the pond for [insert reason here] and ends up teaming up with the guy who killed his past accomplice, that could be a interesting dynamic.

also cartwright <3

Jubs said:
This guy did a breakdown of the vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFkVYxCjXHs

He doesn't make the Cappelli connection, but he does point out a few interesting notes.
Wow, I didn't notice all those chimera when the train was passing by before I watched that break down. I didn't even see the St. Louis Arch destroyed in the background before they went into the tunnel. That's pretty neat, and I'm guessing this means that the game will take place in St. Louis, and then go to New York, or vice versa.

MrPliskin

Banned
Everyone should really check out the backstory stuff for Capelli, he's far more interesting than Nathan Hale ever was. You can catch a good amount of it on the Project Abraham site or in the Resistance comics from WildStorm. I really hope he's the protagonist.

Top Bottom