• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

KKRT00

I bought this game to play with joysticks, but it's obvious this was made for keyboard and mice first and foremost; it always feels like I'm controlling a mouse cursor when flying instead of controlling a ship. Going from Star Citizen to X-Wing or Flight Simulator is a mountain of difference. Really disappointing.

Why do you have this feeling? I dont understand it. Are you playing with gimbals on joystick or what?

----

That's core gameplay. That is something they need to actively work on and not in bi-annual fashion. #1 way players are going to interact with the game and with other players is in flight. It is still bad, and the biggest area of concern.

Its not bad, stop with exaggeration.

Why do you have this feeling? I dont understand it. Are you playing with gimbals on joystick or what?

----

Its not bad, stop with exaggeration.

HOTAS isn't as bad as they are making out. But it is true because of the games flight assist systems for aiming and such using a mouse does actually give you a considerable edge from what I experienced. I think they could definitely get it up to snuff before release though. They just need to spend some more time with Joy/HOTAS setups.

fanboi

Banned
That's core gameplay. That is something they need to actively work on and not in bi-annual fashion. #1 way players are going to interact with the game and with other players is in flight. It is still bad, and the biggest area of concern.

They have a means of control (mouse and keyboard) which is perfectly fine to play the game during development.

Additional polish will come much later.

KKRT00

HOTAS isn't as bad as they are making out. But it is true because of the games flight assist systems for aiming and such using a mouse does actually give you a considerable edge from what I experienced. I think they could definitely get it up to snuff before release though. They just need to spend some more time with Joy/HOTAS setups.

I dont know if it gives you considerable edge. For 25 top PVP players, 13 are using Joysticks.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/leaderboards/all?mode=SB

Maledict

They have a means of control (mouse and keyboard) which is perfectly fine to play the game during development.

This isn't how you design good games btw. There's been a number of talks and presentations about this, notably by Blizzard, but e basic point was that getting your basic game mechanics and control systems in a fun, ready to go state is much more important than actual content development, and it's not something you can do at the end of development as 'polishing'. The initial World of Warcraft took place entirely in A bastardised version of west march, as the entire point was just to get the basic movement, clicking of buttons and feel of the game right. Once they had that bit sorted and fun, they then started churning out content.

You can't 'polish' up basic control systems at the end of development. You sort core gameplay and controls first, then develop content.

This isn't how you design good games btw. There's been a number of talks and presentations about this, notably by Blizzard, but e basic point was that getting your basic game mechanics and control systems in a fun, ready to go state is much more important than actual content development, and it's not something you can do at the end of development as 'polishing'. The initial World of Warcraft took place entirely in A bastardised version of west march, as the entire point was just to get the basic movement, clicking of buttons and feel of the game right. Once they had that bit sorted and fun, they then started churning out content.

You can't 'polish' up basic control systems at the end of development. You sort core gameplay and controls first, then develop content.

In this case is almost certainly has to do with the funding model. Things need to be presentable at nearly all stages. Pre alpha or early alpha stuff for most games is not presentable. I don't think that was feasible to do in a game that's still actively being funded.

SnowTeeth

Banned

Star Citizen isn't going to be good, CONFIRMED. Thanks Blizzard.

It's all theory craft so far, amirite?

And the one mode that "works" is completely imbalanced to all other controls and control mods on the same device. Just try flying relative mode against IM, it's two different games. That imbalance is because of the terrible aim to fly mode, without the aim layer fine control is still non-existent. If they design missions with this balance in place it will be a disaster to play anything other than IM mouse.

I dont know if it gives you considerable edge. For 25 top PVP players, 13 are using Joysticks.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/leaderboards/all?mode=SB

Two things why the leaderboards are bunk:
1. Reoccurring AC player base is about ~200 people
2. Weapon and ship balance is completely out of whack (understandable at this point).

More useful to time trial in swarm modes against AI with different modes. Can tell you from experience it's about 40% faster going from stick to IM mouse.

iHaunter

Except you don't play games like this DURING development ever.

This is a completely unfair comparison.

SeanNoonan

This isn't binary. It never is.

Every game I've worked on has approached this differently, but controls are certainly always tweaked and reworked up until ship. It's true that early in development you get your camera, character and controls to a point that gives the team a solid impression of how the game will play; this allows one to build initial mechanics and metrics, but it's very unlikely these will go untouched into the final stages of development.

You'll find that many multiplatform games don't even have controller mappings until the final months of the project. I've worked on and shipped PS4 titles having never used a Dual Shock, but rather a combination of keyboard and mouse or an Xbox 360 controller for the entire of development.

chifanpoe

This isn't binary. It never is.

Every game I've worked on has approached this differently, but controls are certainly always tweaked and reworked up until ship. It's true that early in development you get your camera, character and controls to a point that gives the team a solid impression of how the game will play; this allows one to build initial mechanics and metrics, but it's very unlikely these will go untouched into the final stages of development.

You'll find that many multiplatform games don't even have controller mappings until the final months of the project. I've worked on and shipped PS4 titles having never used a Dual Shock, but rather a combination of keyboard and mouse or an Xbox 360 controller for the entire of development.

Very interesting, thanks for that behind the door perspective Sean!

looks like another stretch goal gets nixed?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7499151/#Comment_7499151

[BWC] SaturnSquared | SaturnSquared said:
[source]
With the new Lumberyard Engine and its easier to use integration functions, will we be seeing more talk of possibly moving back toward VR support for this game? My Dream is Star Citizen, a VR Treadmill and a VR Headset.

Hi @SaturnSquared. Sorry to say, do not hold your breath for this. Ignoring the render tech for VR itself (which given the work we've done, would definitely be a read-and-rewrite job, not a merge-this-file job), making a game properly VR compliant takes a lot of work at the design and testing level regardless of the engine used. We'd probably need to get the framerate up a bit higher too, come to think of it.

pottuvoi

Banned
Considering the push for first person experience I really doubt VR support would be possible to do in a manner that doesn't make you sick.

Zabojnik

It feels like a solid cockpit VR experience is the best we can hope for for SC, further down the line. Which would be fine by me, provided someone manages to make the switch from 1st person VR to 1st/3rd person non-VR-but-still-in-VR (or whatever) work in a satisfying and functional manner.

elyetis

That's... frightening, but I've said for at least the past 2 years that SC VR implementation should be tackled right now, not once the game is finished, every design decision made without VR in mind will either mean :
- a bad VR implementation
- a huge amount of (re)work to make it good ( on the bright side they have already proven that it's something they are willing to do to make things good... often )
- VR implementation being dropped

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
"Sorry, this is really not the meaning I intended. I should probably just let this lie, but I want to be clear I was NOT saying it's off the table."
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5rbiwv/regarding_vr_dont_hold_your_breath/dd6tq37/

Considering the push for first person experience I really doubt VR support would be possible to do in a manner that doesn't make you sick.

It feels like a solid cockpit VR experience is the best we can hope for for SC, further down the line. Which would be fine by me, provided someone manages to make the switch from 1st person VR to 1st/3rd person non-VR-but-still-in-VR (or whatever) work in a satisfying and functional manner.

With the way things are now, they'd need to do instant transitions between first person for cockpit segments and third person for animations and on-foot segments. Virtual Cinema had also come up as an option for those tricky parts, but I'm not a fan of the idea.

If only the SC community was not filled with over-reacting insane people.

It is quite obvious what he means when he types, but there are many "little chicken" types who go completely overboard after the fact.

~Cross~

Lets be real here, VR is in the same boat as private servers and modding. Essentially dead until they can put man hours into it. And as time goes on, the project continues to develop, it becomes harder and harder from a design standpoint to make it happen.

Zalusithix

That's... frightening, but I've said for at least the past 2 years that SC VR implementation should be tackled right now, not once the game is finished, every design decision made without VR in mind will either mean :
- a bad VR implementation
- a huge amount of (re)work to make it good ( on the bright side they have already proven that it's something they are willing to do to make things good... often )
- VR implementation being dropped

It doesn't matter how early they'd have started. Game design decisions for VR are often inherently not compatible with traditional games, and this applies to many gameplay elements of SC. Making SC seamlessly work with VR (especially first generation VR) would necessitate fundamental changes to the regular game. Changes that'd make the game worse for everybody not in VR.

Honestly if they tossed VR support, I wouldn't shed a single tear, and I say that as a VR enthusiast. Elite can work well with VR due to its more limited scope. SC from the very core is fraught with design conflicts.

TrackIR support on the other hand is entirely doable, and should absolutely be supported.

KKRT00

Lets be real here, VR is in the same boat as private servers and modding. Essentially dead until they can put man hours into it. And as time goes on, the project continues to develop, it becomes harder and harder from a design standpoint to make it happen.

I think modding can still happen for S42, but yeah private servers are becoming more and more like a pipe-dream

phoenixyz

I think modding can still happen for S42, but yeah private servers are becoming more and more like a pipe-dream

Private servers were pretty much dead since they started selling ships and were officially announcing micro-transactions. It's really bad for that business model if you offer private servers were people can just use and fly what they want with their mates.

Zalusithix

Private servers were pretty much dead since they started selling ships and were officially announcing micro-transactions. It's really bad for that business model if you offer private servers were people can just use and fly what they want with their mates.

Private servers were never going to be like the official servers. They'd be stripped down in functionality beyond just a player cap. So while you could theoretically fly whatever you wanted with some of your friends, you'd be doing so in a much less dynamic universe. A universe that would have little interest outside of your group of friends, so it'd end up as a glorified coop game instead of a MMO.

There's an audience for stuff like that, but it'd hardly impact the interest in the real universe. Not having private servers would come entirely down to not wanting to put the manpower behind writing another unrelated server (or at least rewriting major parts of it), not because they were worried about it cannibalizing their income. People who'd be banking on private servers wouldn't pledge for concept ships in the first place.

KKRT00

Eh, can we stop with this microtransaction driven development agenda?

Private servers would never be like PU and you can get anything in PU without any donation.
And again, this is not a theme park MMO, just because you have to pay 150 or 300 dolars for a ship right now, doesnt mean that wont be able to get this ship or get wealthy easily in PU.

There are two problems for private servers: development time and procedural planets + 64bit. Game will be instanced in different way now, which means that it wont be too viable probably for normal servers.

Officially announcing microtransactions? They talked about this during the kickstarter. The private server was talked about alongside the transactions. Either you weren't paying attention or never fully understood what the ramifications are.

Star Citizen Kickstarter

Comment from October 18, 2012

CIG said:
one thing we are very much against is the idea of giving players some sort of special advantage because they have money... and we also don't want to exclude people because they can't fund us a year before there's a game to play. Backers may get a special paint scheme or some similar recognition, but nothing that will give them an advantage in gameplay.

  We WILL offer credits via micro-transaction in the game, but our absolute design law here is that it can't ever be used to give players something they can't earn through ordinary FUN gameplay. In all honesty, I was also totally against the idea at first... and then I started talking to a lot of the older Wing Commander fans who are part of the reason we're building this game. They aren't rich kids trying to get the best ship quickly, they're just a little older than most gamers now... and they have jobs and kids and responsibilities and can't dedicate every night to flying around the Gemini Sector anymore. But they REALLY want to be included. And, well, this is the best way I've seen that we can do that (and also, let's be perfectly honest, pay the server bills... because you buy this game once and you play it forever, no monthly fees.)

  But that all brings me to the most important thing: this isn't a modern MMO-style click-to-kill game... it takes skill to win. Which means that a player with a cheap ship who is a good fighter pilot is going to be able to take down the inexperienced rich kid who bought himself a destroyer any day of the week. We're also balancing our ships in a way that each has strengths and weaknesses... so there's not one GREAT ship that towers above all others!

So the gameplay has perfect imbalance type of design. There is no vertical progression for the game, so the idea that the entire game is design around micro transactions is illogical.

elyetis

With the way things are now, they'd need to do instant transitions between first person for cockpit segments and third person for animations and on-foot segments. Virtual Cinema had also come up as an option for those tricky parts, but I'm not a fan of the idea.
Leave the option for people who don't get sick from it to play it in VR first person. Far too many people are stuck at the idea that everyone will start to throw up if you don't have teleportation or whatever other VR specific locomotion system in place. It might be a minority, I doubt anyone really know, but there is people who can play a fps in VR with a mouse + keyboard without problem.

Leave the option for people who don't get sick from it to play it in VR first person. Far too many people are stuck at the idea that everyone will start to throw up if you don't have teleportation or whatever other VR specific locomotion system in place. It might be a minority, I doubt anyone really know, but there is people who can play a fps in VR with a mouse + keyboard without problem.

^^ I am one these people. Nothing in VR has ever made me feel sick, even things that have "will make you toss" ratings.

phoenixyz

Private servers were never going to be like the official servers. They'd be stripped down in functionality beyond just a player cap. So while you could theoretically fly whatever you wanted with some of your friends, you'd be doing so in a much less dynamic universe. A universe that would have little interest outside of your group of friends, so it'd end up as a glorified coop game instead of a MMO.

Eh, can we stop with this microtransaction driven development agenda?

Officially announcing microtransactions? They talked about this during the kickstarter. The private server was talked about alongside the transactions. Either you weren't paying attention or never fully understood what the ramifications are.

Wow, struck a nerve or something? No need to go all defense-force on my ass.

~Cross~

YI1lymj.jpg

8aOjsBy.jpg

for a company with as many artist as CIG is embarrassing that they keep getting caught stealing art assets from elsewhere. You can still see the watermark here. Amateur stuff.

Zalusithix

Wow, struck a nerve or something? No need to go all defense-force on my ass.

Did you expect people that disagree with you to just ignore what you said? In the official SC thread no less? If you can't handle people responding to your post with counterpoints, then perhaps you shouldn't have made it in the first place.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
It's a cool sound effect, but overkill. It's just someone who likes to make sounds like that I think. It's not something you'd want to hear constantly while piloting one, heh. It would be good for one shot in a movie or something though.

Top Bottom