• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

It's a cool sound effect, but overkill. It's just someone who likes to make sounds like that I think. It's not something you'd want to hear constantly while piloting one, heh. It would be good for one shot in a movie or something though.

I would imagine that the main cannon is used very sparingly, probably only against capital ships. It will probably be used in the climax of the campaign, probably in this same fashion.

Edit: probably

I would imagine that the main cannon is used very sparingly, probably only against capital ships. It will probably be used in the climax of the campaign, probably in this same fashion.

Edit: probably

Used sparingly seems to defeat the purpose of the main gun. Even so we know from the leaks that the Idris gun not even close to the largest in game. I'd hope they'll treat it sound like the Missouri's main guns, made it thunderous but not insane. Seriously Starkiller base's gun didn't sound that crazy.

Mmmmm
tiled detail textures sure do rule.
vlcsnap-2017-02-04-22kikui.png

vlcsnap-2017-02-04-22hpkb5.png

That sound for the cannon is weirding me out, not because of the sound itself, but back when SC was first announced somewhere in the first year I made a sound that I envisioned for the Bengals main cannon. It's incredibly similar in the sense it starts with highly distorted sounds and has a highly oscillated sound building to the final blast. The only difference I can really even think of was the end sound I made was much more metallic, more distorted and phased and instead of a silent pause a had a dropping sub frequency note, kinda like the old boost sound for Elite during beta. Different wavetables for sure, but very similar in structure so gotta admit, I kinda like it.

Sure it's a bit much and a bit long for the Idris, but something like that for a Bengals main cannon would be awesome IMO. It should be a massive ship destroyer of a cannon that's used sparingly and is an event every time one sounds off.

That sound for the cannon is weirding me out, not because of the sound itself, but back when SC was first announced somewhere in the first year I made a sound that I envisioned for the Bengals main cannon. It's incredibly similar in the sense it starts with highly distorted sounds and has a highly oscillated sound building to the final blast. The only difference I can really even think of was the end sound I made was much more metallic, more distorted and phased and instead of a silent pause a had a dropping sub frequency note, kinda like the old boost sound for Elite during beta. Different wavetables for sure, but very similar in structure so gotta admit, I kinda like it.

Sure it's a bit much and a bit long for the Idris, but something like that for a Bengals main cannon would be awesome IMO. It should be a massive ship destroyer of a cannon that's used sparingly and is an event every time one sounds off.

Why would it be a bit long for the Idris?

A couple of things to question here. One is "what is being shot out of an Idris railgun?" images show something energy based instead of projectile based. The sound make more sense for something energy based.

Another thing, why does it seem like people expect the Idris not to have powerful weaponry. It is not as big as a Jav, Bengal, or other massive UEE ships but that being said... it is still 3 times longer than a 747, As tall as Niagara Fall. It seems as if the ship rivals USS Zumwalt.

I hope the sounds of the larger ships are even more impressive but to have the Idris sound like a beast when firing that weapon, I don't understand the concern about it.

Why would it be a bit long for the Idris?

A couple of things to question here. One is "what is being shot out of an Idris railgun?" images show something energy based instead of projectile based. The sound make more sense for something energy based.

Another thing, why does it seem like people expect the Idris not to have powerful weaponry. It is not as big as a Jav, Bengal, or other massive UEE ships but that being said... it is still 3 times longer than a 747, As tall as Niagara Fall. It seems as if the ship rivals USS Zumwalt.

I hope the sounds of the larger ships are even more impressive but to have the Idris sound like a beast when firing that weapon, I don't understand the concern about it.

I just kind of worry about the length of charge for a shot from something even bigger if that's the Idris. Outside of that I've no real problem, it just makes me worry about the even bigger ships taking too long to be useful.

I do for sure hope the Idris packs one hell of a bang in the audio department too though.

Zalusithix

I just kind of worry about the length of charge for a shot from something even bigger if that's the Idris. Outside of that I've no real problem, it just makes me worry about the even bigger ships taking too long to be useful.

I do for sure hope the Idris packs one hell of a bang in the audio department too though.

The cap ships are going to be slow, and those weapons are meant to hit cap ships, not nimble fighters. Granted anything that's not a cap ship that gets caught in the crossfire is as good as dead.

The cap ships are going to be slow, and those weapons are meant to hit cap ships, not nimble fighters. Granted anything that's not a cap ship that gets caught in the crossfire is as good as dead.

True, I suppose it shouldn't be a problem given the speeds. I guess it's just a bit harder to envision for me currently since what feels big right now is still pretty agile, though these ships will feel tiny compared to the Idris and anything bigger.

They need to have decent top speeds but severely hampered in the momentum department. Also would like to see control on them dependent on hull strength too.

Zalusithix

True, I suppose it shouldn't be a problem given the speeds. I guess it's just a bit harder to envision for me currently since what feels big right now is still pretty agile, though these ships will feel tiny compared to the Idris and anything bigger.

Yeah, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that the biggest ships we have right now are tiny.

m9tf3UK.png

The Idris is more than twice as long, more than twice as wide, and taller than the Starfarer with over 4 times the mass. The Javelin is going to at least double the Idris' mass. Now factor in that both of those cap ships are actually small cap ships. Something like the Driller is larger. A Bengal/Kingship dwarfs them. Then there's the behemoth that is the Retribution that's so big that it boggles the mind.

Yeah, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that the biggest ships we have right now are tiny.

m9tf3UK.png

The Idris is more than twice as long, more than twice as wide, and taller than the Starfarer with over 4 times the mass. The Javelin is going to at least double the Idris' mass. Now factor in that both of those cap ships are actually small cap ships. Something like the Driller is larger. A Bengal/Kingship dwarfs them. Then there's the behemoth that is the Retribution that's so big that it boggles the mind.

Retribution? (googles)
WTF?! There's now a Bengal sandwich stretch?! It dwarfs even the biggest Vanduul ship. That's insane. I really hope I get to step foot on one of those one day in the verse.

Zalusithix

They need to have decent top speeds but severely hampered in the momentum department. Also would like to see control on them dependent on hull strength too.
I don't see why they need to have decent top speeds. These larger cap ships are meant to tank, not run. They're definitely going to need lots of momentum though compared to current ships. No turning on a dime or reaching top speed in mere seconds.

They should also have tons of fuel. More than speed these things are going to need to be prepared for long distance hauls and extended deployments.

Retribution? (googles)
WTF?! There's now a Bengal sandwich stretch?! It dwarfs even the biggest Vanduul ship. That's insane. I really hope I get to step foot on one of those one day in the verse.
Currently in lore there is only one of them period, and it's undergoing (live) testing. It's unclear whether they plan on making more of them and are waiting for the results of the test phase to make more, or if it's a kind of one off super project akin to the Death Star. Either way, its combat capabilities are largely shrouded in mystery right now. We just know it's big.

Currently in lore there is only one of them period, and it's undergoing (live) testing. It's unclear whether they plan on making more of them and are waiting for the results of the test phase to make more, or if it's a kind of one off super project akin to the Death Star. Either way, its combat capabilities are largely shrouded in mystery right now. We just know it's big.

Oh that actually make a whole load of sense. I suppose this could be their 'invincible ship'. If the Feds are going to essentially be the galactic police giving them something like this would make a great safeguard to keep it all in lore. After all they'll need some reason to be untouchable to an extent, otherwise pirate factions would just get their own of the limited Bengals and try eradicate them.

Zalusithix

Oh that actually make a whole load of sense. I suppose this could be their 'invincible ship'. If the Feds are going to essentially be the galactic police giving them something like this would make a great safeguard to keep it all in lore. After all they'll need some reason to be untouchable to an extent, otherwise pirate factions would just get their own of the limited Bengals and try eradicate them.

Eh, I doubt they'd need something on the Retribution scale to keep players (or lore based pirate factions) in line. There's already ships larger than the Bengal to police players with, and the UEE will have a lot more of those ships at their disposal. If a group managed to get a hold of a Bengal and decided to be stupid with it, the UEE could just crush them with sheer numbers.

Lore wise the Retribution is an anti-Vanduul ship meant to herald the beginning of taking back areas of space that Humanity has been pushed out of.

One thing that bothers me about the assembly concept art is the atmosphere. Why the hell would they be assembling ships of that scale on a planet?

Lol I remember those complaints from the Star Trek movie.

I was always curious about that. What is the problem with building them inside our atmosphere?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Lol I remember those complaints from the Star Trek movie.

I was always curious about that. What is the problem with building them inside our atmosphere?

Getting them out of the planet's gravity well once they are built, assuming it a ship class that isn't intended for planetary landing to begin with.

They are in the sky. IIRC Crusader has a shipyard.

Getting them out of the planet's gravity well once they are built, assuming it a ship class that isn't intended for planetary landing to begin with.

I nearly forgot about crusader having a terraformed upper atmosphere with everything.

That is gonna be easily one of the prettiest and most interesting locations in the 'verse.

That is a good point. But then again having a large battleship that could not escape the gravity of Earth would be sort of weak wouldn't it?

I nearly forgot about crusader having a terraformed upper atmosphere with everything.

That is gonna be easily one of the prettiest and most interesting locations in the 'verse.

being built on crusader certainly bypasses the worry about escaping gravity of planet.

Eh, I doubt they'd need something on the Retribution scale to keep players (or lore based pirate factions) in line. There's already ships larger than the Bengal to police players with, and the UEE will have a lot more of those ships at their disposal. If a group managed to get a hold of a Bengal and decided to be stupid with it, the UEE could just crush them with sheer numbers.

Lore wise the Retribution is an anti-Vanduul ship meant to herald the beginning of taking back areas of space that Humanity has been pushed out of.

I think I like that approach even more. Hopefully one day we'll see it join operation pitchfork in the ultimate server stress test :p

Always loved the look of the Pegasus carrier but we haven't seen any update in years =(

I imagine by the time the Idris is done (the last report said the only thing needed to finish was torpedo room), I imagine they have enough elements to complete the larger ships with modular components and only focus on bespoke elements.

Zalusithix

That is a good point. But then again having a large battleship that could not escape the gravity of Earth would be sort of weak wouldn't it?

Getting out of Earth's gravity requires a massive amount of energy. The larger the mass, the more it takes. Suffice to say the Retribution isn't exactly light. Meanwhile, moving along in space requires very little energy. Hell, in space you could reach near light speeds with micronewtons of force - given enough time at least.

There's also the unwanted stresses on the hull from gravity. All that cantilevering mass would put immense stress on the joints in directions that they wouldn't be in space during operation. (Ships of that size aren't going to be performing fast rotations, lest they sheer themselves apart in the process.)

Then there's the whole flight aspect. It's not aerodynamic, and has no flight surfaces so to stay properly oriented the ship will require sufficient VTOL thrust redirection. Nothing on that ship says VTOL capable in the least. You'd have to sit her on her ass with the nose facing up and take off like a modern rocket to get out of the atmosphere.

Getting out of Earth's gravity requires a massive amount of energy. The larger the mass, the more it takes. Suffice to say the Retribution isn't exactly light. Meanwhile, moving along in space requires very little energy. Hell, in space you could reach near light speeds with micronewtons of force - given enough time at least.

There's also the unwanted stresses on the hull from gravity. All that cantilevering mass would put immense stress on the joints in directions that they wouldn't be in space during operation. (Ships of that size aren't going to be performing fast rotations, lest they sheer themselves apart in the process.)

Then there's the whole flight aspect. It's not aerodynamic, and has no flight surfaces so to stay properly oriented the ship will require sufficient VTOL thrust redirection. Nothing on that ship says VTOL capable in the least. You'd have to sit her on her ass with the nose facing up and take off like a modern rocket to get out of the atmosphere.

None of the ships have that. Even the demonstrations including the Freelancer or Constellation do not have those clear descriptions despite those ships having those capabilities.

My thing it that given the mass of earth, Wouldn't these ships face STRONGER gravity wells and larger forces and masses to contend with when traveling in space. It takes a ship going 7 miles a second for escape velocity. And what about jump points?

None of the ships have that. Even the demonstrations including the Freelancer or Constellation do not have those clear descriptions despite those ships having those capabilities.

My thing it that given the mass of earth, Wouldn't these ships face STRONGER gravity wells and larger forces and masses to contend with when traveling in space. It takes a ship going 7 miles a second for escape velocity. And what about jump points?

I think it's the amount of atmospheric drag, the lack of aerodynamic structure etc that makes it seem unlikely. Even a rocket style take off would in all likelihood tear something of that shape apart, probably splitting right down the middle for starters.

I think it's the amount of atmospheric drag, the lack of aerodynamic structure etc that makes it seem unlikely. Even a rocket style take off would in all likelihood tear something of that shape apart, probably splitting right down the middle for starters.

Not really, different types of drives, right? Can have powerful drives that only work properly in vacuum and/or a minimum distance from a planet's mass.

The talk about atmospheric drag and g-forces from planets on space ships of collossal design reminds me of a specific scene from BSG. It really captured, IMO, how punishing an atmospheric entry can be on a large ship like that. Even for just a very short duration.

Gotcha! Not about power but more about resistance and friction.

I remember that scene in BSG, one of my favorites.

Top Bottom