• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 - Global Testfire announced (March 24-26)

Doorman

Oh HELL YEAH! In as hell for this, gonna be great since none of the Switch preview events are remotely close to me. I'm gonna be stoked to toy around with curling bombs finally.

As I recall, the first group of Test-fires tried out a couple of different connection styles as well, which had different levels of success. Hopefully this gives them some good feedback to make this title's online experience even stronger than the last.

Peléo

Surprised about this demo launching before an ARMS global test. I hope new players don't get discouraged after being beaten by veterans. An option: "Have you played Splatoon before?" would solve this.

noshten

well now I'm 100% buying a Switch in March

It be cool if they create a global test fire with the capability of playing two modes. First mode is just for fun vs randoms while the second mode is for squads. If you have 4 friends with Switches you form a squad and there is leader boards at the end of the Test Fire with the teams that did the best in each region. Give a free copy of Splatoon 2 to be the best performing 10 squads and the top 100 in the for fun mode. Nintendo than collects footage of the top 10 players and 10 squads from the Test fire and creates videos around it.

They had global ranking for Splatfests so ranking on these Testfires shouldn't be ruled out

CDX

I think these are the correct times, hope I got England's summer time change correct

UTC Times
Code:
UTC - Friday   24th March 2017    19:00:00 ~ 19:59:00
UTC - Saturday 25th March 2017    03:00:00 ~ 03:59:00
UTC - Saturday 25th March 2017    11:00:00 ~ 11:59:00
UTC - Saturday 25th March 2017    19:00:00 ~ 19:59:00
UTC - Sunday   26th March 2017    03:00:00 ~ 03:59:00
UTC - Sunday   26th March 2017    11:00:00 ~ 11:59:00

AUSTRALIA
Code:
Saturday, March 25th
-------------
 6:00AM ~  6:59AM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA          3:00AM ~  3:59AM PERTH, AUSTRALIA
 2:00PM ~  2:59PM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA         11:00AM ~ 11:59AM PERTH, AUSTRALIA
10:00PM ~ 10:59PM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA          7:00PM ~  7:59PM PERTH, AUSTRALIA

Sunday, March 26th
-------------
 6:00AM ~  6:59AM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA         3:00AM ~  3:59AM PERTH, AUSTRALIA
 2:00PM ~  2:59PM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA        11:00AM ~ 11:59AM PERTH, AUSTRALIA
10:00PM ~ 10:59PM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA         7:00PM ~  7:59PM PERTH, AUSTRALIA

BRAZIL

Code:
Friday, March 24th
------------
16:00 ~ 16:59 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL

Saturday, March 25th
------------
00:00 ~ 00:59 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
08:00 ~ 08:59 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
16:00 ~ 16:59 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL

Sunday, March 26th
------------
00:00 ~ 00:59 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
08:00 ~ 08:59 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL

ENGLAND
Code:
Friday, March 24th
------------
 7:00PM ~  7:59PM LONDON, ENGLAND

Saturday, March 25th
------------
 3:00AM ~  3:59AM LONDON, ENGLAND 
11:00AM ~ 11:59PM LONDON, ENGLAND
 7:00PM ~  7:59PM LONDON, ENGLAND

Sunday, March 26th
------------
 4:00AM ~  4:59AM LONDON, ENGLAND
12 Noon ~ 12:59PM LONDON, ENGLAND

GERMANY
Code:
Friday, March 24th
-------------
20:00 ~ 20:59 BERLIN, GERMANY

Saturday, March 25th
------------- 
04:00 ~ 04:59 BERLIN, GERMANY
12:00 ~ 12:59 BERLIN, GERMANY
20:00 ~ 20:59 BERLIN, GERMANY

Sunday, March 26th
-------------
05:00 ~ 05:59 BERLIN, GERMANY
13:00 ~ 13:59 BERLIN, GERMANY

NORTH AMERICA
Code:
Friday, March 24th
------------
 3:00PM ~  3:59PM (USA) EASTERN TIME        12 Noon ~ 12:59PM (USA) PACIFIC TIME
11:00PM ~ 11:59PM (USA) EASTERN TIME         8:00PM ~  8:59PM (USA) PACIFIC TIME 

Saturday, March 25th
------------
 7:00AM ~  7:59AM (USA) EASTERN TIME         4:00AM ~  4:59PM (USA) PACIFIC TIME
 3:00PM ~  3:59PM (USA) EASTERN TIME        12 Noon ~ 12:59PM (USA) PACIFIC TIME
11:00PM ~ 11:59PM (USA) EASTERN TIME         8:00PM ~  8:59PM (USA) PACIFIC TIME 

Sunday, March 26th
------------
 7:00AM ~  7:59AM (USA) EASTERN TIME         4:00AM ~  4:59PM (USA) PACIFIC TIME

Andyliini

They seem to have lot's of interesting multiplayer games coming. Nintendo World Championships this June would be a good event to promote all these games.

atom519

Excellent news Nintendo! Great for early adopters and I guess confirms they will have some form of online infrastructure up a few weeks after launch.

War3190

Neo Member
I am so glad that I will get the chance to play this. It will make the wait till release much harder for me though. :(

"We’re also happy to report that Splatoon 2 will be compatible with Splatoon series amiibo figures and, for the first time in the series, with an upcoming Nintendo Switch app for smart devices that enhances online play. This app will connect to the game and allow players to set play appointments with friends and teammates who have been added to their Nintendo Switch friend list or via their social media accounts. It also allows players to match up with those friends directly in the game or voice chat with them via their smart device. For example, during a Private Battle, players can voice chat with all of their connected friends when they divide into teams, but once teams are set, voice chat is switched to communication only between teammates on the same team.

In order to use this app, players need to link their Nintendo Account to their Nintendo Switch system and have a smart device capable of in-game voice chat. Online features will require a paid subscription. Data fees may apply. More details will be announced at a later date."

So the app will enhance online play. So you can play online without it. We should be able to test this too during the stress test hopefully
That seems like the clearest written description of the online system that we've seen thus far, but correct me if I'm wrong.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
"We’re also happy to report that Splatoon 2 will be compatible with Splatoon series amiibo figures and, for the first time in the series, with an upcoming Nintendo Switch app for smart devices that enhances online play. This app will connect to the game and allow players to set play appointments with friends and teammates who have been added to their Nintendo Switch friend list or via their social media accounts. It also allows players to match up with those friends directly in the game or voice chat with them via their smart device. For example, during a Private Battle, players can voice chat with all of their connected friends when they divide into teams, but once teams are set, voice chat is switched to communication only between teammates on the same team.

In order to use this app, players need to link their Nintendo Account to their Nintendo Switch system and have a smart device capable of in-game voice chat. Online features will require a paid subscription. Data fees may apply. More details will be announced at a later date."

So the app will enhance online play. So you can play online without it. We should be able to test this too during the stress test hopefully

yeah this sounds dope - seems N was on the right track going on thebdedicated phone app route

DKL

I can't stop laughing at the thought of Splatoon clans and the idea of people taking the game too seriously.

The movement tech in the game is ridiculous. Given how your options increase and decrease with territory painted, the meta is really interesting and I feel like people brushing the game's depth off have either not played it or not played enough.

(I remember some shit posters over on the Splatoon Reddit hating on people playing the game competitively)

But I guess it's hard to take squid kids seriously or something, I don't know.

Only reason why I didn't actually start competing in the game despite going in heavy early on in its life was because Nintendo's lack of a reasonable way to set up the game locally was too inept, so I played Street Fighter V instead (but then dropped that too when I started working lol).

Thankfully, this is being fixed now with the confirmation of wired LAN.

nightside

The movement tech in the game is ridiculous. Given how your options increase and decrease with territory painted, the meta is really interesting and I feel like people brushing the game's depth off have either not played it or not played enough.

(I remember some shit posters over on the Splatoon Reddit hating on people playing the game competitively)

But I guess it's hard to take squid kids seriously or something, I don't know.

Only reason why I didn't actually start competing in the game despite going in heavy early on in its life was because Nintendo's lack of a reasonable way to set up the game locally was too inept, so I played Street Fighter V instead (but then dropped that too when I started working lol).

Thankfully, this is being fixed now with the confirmation of wired LAN.

They need to find a way to implement spectator mode for wired LAN too. I suppose big tournaments gonna have their finals played in LAN, so it's important to make it the most enjoyable possible for the potential viewers.

Definitely excited about this, especially when I can play it in handheld mode in my house when my kid inevitably takes over the TV to play Madden.

DKL

They need to find a way to implement spectator mode for wired LAN too. I suppose big tournaments gonna have their finals played in LAN, so it's important to make it the most enjoyable possible for the potential viewers.

I thought you could actually only spectator mode on wired LAN and it wasn't an option for wireless?

nightside

I thought you could actually only spectator mode on wired LAN and it wasn't an option for wireless?

Well, I don't discard the possibility that I completely got I wrong, but as I understood spectator mode works for private matches online but Lan mode is limited to 8 consoles so that leaves out a 9th console for the "cameraman".

Sendou

It's for both.

Well, I don't discard the possibility that I completely got I wrong, but as I understood spectator mode works for private matches online but Lan mode is limited to 8 consoles so that leaves out a 9th console for the "cameraman".

LAN supports up to 10 consoles. 8 for players and 2 for spectators.

DKL

My PTSD of Splat Rollers from Splatoon Testfire is coming back, but this time it will be dualies who will feel OP

They actually changed how rollers work from what I can understand. When you jump, the area covered is changed...

But I remember the optimal scumbag strat being to jump and then flick lol

(this might have changed from when I played of course)

I think you can still get the normal jump flick in this game, but you flick right away or something before jumping... I can't remember what people said lol

Also, calling it: people who do dualies will always do the maximum amount of rolls and you can punish them during the recovery (which I assume exists, but could be wrong) because they will have predictable roll patterns.

phanphare

Banned
42lS4JB.gif

hyped as fuck!

gonna be funny seeing rooms full of splat dualies

I can't stop laughing at the thought of Splatoon clans and the idea of people taking the game too seriously.

[x] you're a kid now
[_] you're a squid now

Decider

I also never stop making fun of things other people like. It makes me feel superior!

But other games being taken seriously is perfectly fine to you? Is this a stealth "Kidday lolz" post? Because it smells like it

F'real brah. Us mature gamers need to stick together and leave the kiddy shit to the kids.

Oh stop with the projecting. I bought Splatoon at launch and I've had tons of fun with it.

ffdgh

Ahh to start fresh again with everybody...who am I kidding most players will know what they're doing this time lol.

Top Bottom