• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

b0bbyJ03

Hey guys, I'm a newb when it comes to cemu, i pretty much just read about zelda, got excited and donated to their patreon so now i have this 1.7.2d build and I tried running mario kart without making any tweaks at all. It runs pretty well overall but it stutters here and there. Any tips to optimize games would be appreciated. Also, how do I set the resolution?

It's especially mindblowing with 3DS games. I was floored when I booted OoT3D for the first time in high resolution. So much detail lost due to the low resolution.

It really makes you wonder how much higher quality their assets are than their hardware can handle.

Great start so far. Game is lush looking in 4k!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I can't get my Wii U Pro controller or my Switch Pro controller to work:

Wii U Pro Controller:
- using the Mayflash USB dongle
- but CEMU crashes upon going into input settings because of it

Switch Pro Controller:
- is recognized by my computer and CEMU
- can be mapped in input settings just fine
- but games don't recognize any button presses

Anyone know how to fix at least one of the two? I'm using CEMU 1.7.2 on Win10.

Mifec

Hey guys, I'm a newb when it comes to cemu, i pretty much just read about zelda, got excited and donated to their patreon so now i have this 1.7.2d build and I tried running mario kart without making any tweaks at all. It runs pretty well overall but it stutters here and there. Any tips to optimize games would be appreciated. Also, how do I set the resolution?

You need to download a shader cache from the internet and put it into your Cemu->shaderCache->transferable folder. That will get rid of the stuttering. As for the res in the cemu window go to options then graphics packs.

Oxn

So if you are a patreon, you are a patreon for life right? Like you get all the early releases?

How do you get access to them?

b0bbyJ03

You need to download a shader cache from the internet and put it into your Cemu->shaderCache->transferable folder. That will get rid of the stuttering. As for the res in the cemu window go to options then graphics packs.

Thank you! any recommendations on where to get the shader caches?

I can't seem to get forced AF working through Nvidia Control Panel, but here are a couple of shots:

zelda1kuju3.png

zelda4q2jl0.png

zelda6oqkej.png

zelda7l8kz6.png

RoyalFool

Banned
Game logic glitches etc

It's unplayable, almost completely in it's current state.

A lot of things just don't work, physics puzzles glitching out, not being able to trigger events and needing a savegame to get past it etc.

It's not an option for playing the game yet, and probably won't be for 3-6 months.

It's unplayable, almost completely in it's current state.

A lot of things just don't work, physics puzzles glitching out, not being able to trigger events and needing a savegame to get past it etc.

It's not an option for playing the game yet, and probably won't be for 3-6 months.

Yeah, just think of it as a timed console exclusive. PC users are used to it by now. : p

Mivey

At least the physics stuff could boil down to a single issue in how the WiiU CPU is emulated. Dolphin had this thing where they emulated integers with floating points or vice versa. Could be something like that, in which case those could disappear in a single update.

Anony

asking for future reference

is it possible to use wii u save file on cemu? i believe it's possible to rip the save file via homebrew

Tareskog

I can't seem to get forced AF working through Nvidia Control Panel, but here are a couple of shots:

Woah that's simply beautiful comparing to the game running on WiiU. This is what the game should have looked like on such a new console as the Switch. I understand the limitations of the WiiU, but yeah...

Can't wait to see the performance of CEMU in a couple of months. Glad I subbed as a patron to help this project improving.

JackDT

Just to confirm, this is far from playable. You can't let a cutscene play or risk a hard lock. The physics are so wonky that the puzzles are either impossible to complete, or the opposite and there's no collision so you just ignore the puzzle.

deadlast

if I wanted to build a pc for Cemu, what specs would be needed?
I'm thinking anything beyond an i3 and rx480 would not really be useful. I'm I completely wrong?

CHC

if I wanted to build a pc for Cemu, what specs would be needed?
I'm thinking anything beyond an i3 and rx480 would not really be useful. I'm I completely wrong?

Just have a decent CPU, any modern i5 "K" model should probably be fine. Basically, just make a decent gaming PC and CEMU should perform admirably, it's not really designed around any special hardware.

JackDT

The best is still going to be a 7700K overclocked as high as you can get it, but it does look like Cemu mostly uses one core so dual core should be fine.

The Wii U itself is 3 cores though so you'd think it would be benefit from more than 2, at least potentially in the future.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Woah that's simply beautiful comparing to the game running on WiiU. This is what the game should have looked like on such a new console as the Switch. I understand the limitations of the WiiU, but yeah...

Can't wait to see the performance of CEMU in a couple of months. Glad I subbed as a patron to help this project improving.

You want a portable to downsample from 4K? Sir what year are you from. That said, the Cemu shots are outstanding. It reminds me of how the original Dark Souls had all this insane texture detail that just wasn't visible in 720p and then Durante came along and saved us all and bam, amazingly textured armour, amazingly textured weapons, but the bridge to Sens was still riddled with the worst 2D trees known to man ;(

Edit: There's this weird fuzzy effect on things in the distance in some of the shots, is that just the emulator not rendering the DoF properly whatsoever? It kind of looks like film grain

The Wii U itself is 3 cores though so you'd think it would be benefit from more than 2, at least potentially in the future.

The problem with emulators using more than one core is the amount of extra cpu overhead needed to synchronise them, which can very easily destroy any performance improvement.

dogen

The problem with emulators using more than one core is the amount of extra cpu overhead needed to synchronise them, which can very easily destroy any performance improvement.

I don't think that's always the case with newer consoles, since they're not as sensitive to timing.

jediyoshi

The best is still going to be a 7700K overclocked as high as you can get it, but it does look like Cemu mostly uses one core so dual core should be fine.

Cemu does use multiple cores, it's the stock dev response whenever multicore is brought up.

"Cemu already uses multiple cores. One core is always utilized 100% while the others vary. For Wii U emulation, single-core performance is more important than having many cores."

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Managed to get my Switch Pro controller working with Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

All you need to do is set it as a Wii U Gamepad (NOT a Wii U Pro/Classic Controller) in the CEMU Input settings menu and the game will recognize it.

But now I have two issues with the game:
- a few graphical glitches, mainly the fact that Donkey Kong's model is flickering + underwater sections display a weird moving grey textures
- most importantly, the picture freezes after a couple minutes of play. Every else is fine, the audio is fine, and I can hear Donkey reacting to my button presses, but the pictures stays stuck.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I'm playing on a Dell XPS 15 with a i7-7700HQ and a GTX 1050, with VSync enabled, Bicubic upscale filtering and High GPU Buffer Cache Accuracy.

Top Bottom