• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

LordOfChaos

I don't see those numbers holding but good for them.

Definitely see it dropping off once Zelda is playable, and a reasonable concern would be they delay it to keep that well running, but if they kept delaying it I'm also sure it would dry up. So hopefully they deliver on time so that future projects by them also are recognized and funded.

Still, making 10K a month for 4 months would be pretty great, and then the curve of it before and after that was still a few grand a month.

c0de

We currently have no idea what was customized about the chip in the Switch.

Also the graphics and OS are going to be more interesting for a console like the Switch anyway. You don't just emulate the CPU, you have to emulate everything.

Of course but apis are heavily used in the mobile market. Either way, I see it being very likely, although it might seem I have a simplified view on that which is not true but understandably from my first comment.

RoyalFool

Banned
Wish their was this much enthusiasm for emulating dead platforms such as the N64 or the Xbox, would be great if we could fund Byuu to make an accurate N64 emulator

Yeah, I doubt people are going to continuously pay the amount they're paying now every month.

hopefully they will continue to develop, if it truly is a labor of love. i thought most emulators were made as a labor of love. plus in the past emulators have worked on old games that were no longer for sale. i've got to admit it's weird to see a group making $10k off a currently available game.

mcmmaster

Smash models look well nice 5k downsampled. Using this ReShade mod as a temporary fix for the lighting issue the game currently has.

04_5k__by_mcmemie-db2b97w.png

EDIT: Took a few more shots

cemu_2017_03_14_23_17_31_90_by_mcmemie-db2bj6r.png

cemu_2017_03_14_23_14_12_42_by_mcmemie-db2bis6.png

cemu_2017_03_14_23_23_13_20_by_mcmemie-db2bke4.png

Seik

Banned
Smash models look well nice 5k downsampled. Using this ReShade mod as a temporary fix for the lighting issue the game currently has.

04_5k__by_mcmemie-db2b97w.png

Holy crap that is SHARP!

How is Smash doing on Cemu? (except lighting)

I've been waiting for it to run well before ripping my copy...because when I'll do, it'll be a solid 5-6 hours of ripping. -_-

Yeah, the key is to launch it and leave your computer because it's 5+ minutes before the loading screen indicator even pops up. Once you hit the title screen is when it acts more normally, though seemingly randomly during cutscenes/gameplay performance spikes can pop up.

Ooooooooooh I see, thanks a lot, I'll try this tonight, I've been waiting to play W101 in 4K since FOREVAH!

EDIT: It's been 10 minutes, still black screen. :(

EDIT 2: 30 minutes. :((((((( I guess that will be for another time.

mcmmaster

Holy crap that is SHARP!

How is Smash doing on Cemu? (except lighting)

I've been waiting for it to run well before ripping my copy...because when I'll do, it'll be a solid 5-6 hours of ripping. -_-

Performance can be pretty great. You do get some solid 60FPS matches but i believe with the slightly more detailed characters such as Cloud, Marth or Bayonetta, the framerate will tank to 30. Hopefully that and the muffled music issues will get ironed out soon.

byuu

Wish their was this much enthusiasm for emulating dead platforms such as the N64 or the Xbox, would be great if we could fund Byuu to make an accurate N64 emulator

It would probably run at 5 fps on a high end pc.

If someone wants to pay me $20,000 a month, I'll make an emulator however they want.

I have principles for how I write code for free, but that's "I can quit my day job" money :p

theultimo

If someone wants to pay me $20,000 a month, I'll make an emulator however they want.

I have principles for how I write code for free, but that's "I can quit my day job" money :p
As much work has been done to the SNES and SNES preservation, you deserve a medal :p

nkarafo

Considering the demand for a good N64 emulator all these years and your reputation in the scene, it's not a far fetched scenario.

Nuu

Banned
I always find it amusing how opensource paid premium and free, almost always beats the corporate stuff when it comes things like emulation and just various software in general.

Seik

Banned

You say that, but if you ever were to start a Patreon for an accurate N64 emulator after seeing your work with SNES I'd be more than happy to contribute. :p

Right?

If someone were to pay me $20K a month I'd do pretty much anything lol.

Also man those Smash 4 shots look amazing. Here's hoping CEMU can one day be used for S4 Netplay like Dolphin is used with SmashLadder!

hopefully they will continue to develop, if it truly is a labor of love. i thought most emulators were made as a labor of love. plus in the past emulators have worked on old games that were no longer for sale. i've got to admit it's weird to see a group making $10k off a currently available game.

It is. Not to mention this might actually be the first time that's happened. At least it's the first time I've seen it happen.

Vuze

It is. Not to mention this might actually be the first time that's happened. At least it's the first time I've seen it happen.
Well, you could say the thirst to experience the seemingly most critically acclaimed game in recent years without unstable framerate and high resolution is real. Atleast that's the way I want to experience it, all the temptation to unwrap my copy and hook up ye olde WiiU again be damned :) I might start it once the major glitches are fixed and performance is stable enough but I'm sure the game will get a lot of love in the long term - fps unlock, graphic detail mods etc

Anth0ny

i mean

start a patreon and lets get this party started

n64 nostalgia is high and us n64 kids have jobs now

nkarafo

But what does he do when the project is done? Probably best to keep doing the work for free and maintain your career :p
One can always start a new project. There are enough systems out there to last for a couple of lives.

Unless ofc you are happy with your career that is.

Maxim726X

I added to the Patreon. Can't wait to play with this.

How do the Zeldas work (namely Wind Waker and Twilight Princess), Smash Brothers, and Bayonetta 2/1?

I see the compatibility section on the site... But it's not really very specific.

jrcbandit

How do the Zeldas work (namely Wind Waker and Twilight Princess), Smash Brothers, and Bayonetta 2/1?

I see the compatibility section on the site... But it's not really very specific.

Only Wind Waker really works, but you probably want to use the Bloom fix to reduce the excessive amount of bloom lol. The rest of the games have too many issues, Twilight Princess has flickering and Bayonetta 2 has poor sound, although I haven't tried CEMU 1.7.3 yet. Smash might work, but it can take forever to boot up.

jediyoshi

Wind Waker works but broken pictographs, Twilight Princess works but better with 1.6.0~. Smash works but has some performance issues with specific characters, lighting issues on nvidia. Bayo1/2 are playable but have varying graphical/sound issues.

Wind Waker HD
Twilight Princess HD
Smash Bros.
Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2

Nuu

Banned
I've heard that most progress in a systems emulation isn't done through reverse engineering or trial and error, but rather through leaked documents of system architecture and coding. Is that true?

PGamer

fucking juniors
I've heard that most progress in a systems emulation isn't done through reverse engineering or trial and error, but rather through leaked documents of system architecture and coding. Is that true?

That would be entirely dependent on the specific developer and how careless they are about reverse engineering.

byuu

Pgamer said:
Interesting timing, Project64 just launched a Patreon today.

I guess he found the revenue from bundling adware with his emulator for the longest time didn't pay out well enough.

Support Cen64 if you can, not Zilmar/Project64.

It is not. The N64 didn't just have documents leaked, it had the VHDL source code to the chips stolen and leaked.

Documentation is always written at a high-level for developers to make games for the system. They don't describe the details of the system at a low enough level to write a strong emulator.

The docs don't hurt, but the vast majority of real, new progress on an emulator is through reverse engineering.

c0de

I guess he found the revenue from bundling adware with his emulator for the longest time didn't pay out well enough.

Support Cen64 if you can, not Zilmar/Project64.

It is not. The N64 didn't just have documents leaked, it had the VHDL source code to the chips stolen and leaked.

Documentation is always written at a high-level for developers to make games for the system. They don't describe the details of the system at a low enough level to write a strong emulator.

The docs don't hurt, but the vast majority of real, new progress on an emulator is through reverse engineering.

What? Did someone already put it onto on fpga?

Nuu

Banned

Thanks.

Top Bottom