• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Super Mario 25th anniversary special edition announced (has Wiimote+) [Is Red]

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kyleripman said:
I've gotta say that I would never do that. A remote with motion plus built it would make it really uncomfortable to play NSMBWii with the sideways control scheme. I always end up removing my Motion Plus to do so.

The Wii Remote Plus remotes are much smaller than Wii Remote + Motion Plus.

Stumpokapow said:
The Wii Remote Plus remotes are much smaller than Wii Remote + Motion Plus.

In fact, as far as I can tell from the hardware shots (and from the FCC submission for RVL-036 that now seems to have been the Remote Plus) the Remote and Remote Plus are the same size exactly.

ShinNL

Kyleripman said:
I've gotta say that I would never do that. A remote with motion plus built it would make it really uncomfortable to play NSMBWii with the sideways control scheme. I always end up removing my Motion Plus to do so.
Exactly. I hate the switching... that's why I want to sell my "old" remotes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cosmonaut X said:
In fact, as far as I can tell from the hardware shots (and from the FCC submission for RVL-036 that now seems to have been the Remote Plus) the Remote and Remote Plus are the same size exactly.

I didn't really want to say that just in case it was like 2.001 cm longer and some Professor Frink poster was going to correct me by way of a 1500 word essay on my stupidity :p

cvxfreak

Chris1964 said:
Nintendo released with one year delay what should release with NSMBW. Better late than never.

I disagree. Nintendo sold plenty of standard Wii systems last year, so now they can make up some of the short fall for this year with this color and the 25th Anniversary.

Tenbatsu

remotePlusPh.jpg

There will be Wii remote plus bundle for black and white too.

Stumpokapow said:
I didn't really want to say that just in case it was like 2.001 cm longer and some Professor Frink poster was going to correct me by way of a 1500 word essay on my stupidity :p

Well, it should be obvious to even the most dim-witted individual who holds an advanced degree in applied controllerology that the Wii Remote Plus is *nng-hng* precisely 760 µm longer than the standard Wii Remote *ma-hey*

;-)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cvxfreak said:
I disagree. Nintendo sold plenty of standard Wii systems last year, so now they can make up some of the short fall for this year with this color and the 25th Anniversary.
That's Nintendo's big problem with Wii in Japan. They release something only when they need it and start falling behind. It's a stradegy that worked last year and will work again this year but I don't see it as a good stradegy.

gerg

Chris1964 said:
That's Nintendo's big problem with Wii in Japan. They release something only when they need it and start falling behind. It's a stradegy that worked last year and will work again this year but I don't see it as a good strategy.

Provided this releases in America before the holidays Nintendo will be set to do well there this year, at least.

Chris1964 said:
That's Nintendo's big problem with Wii in Japan. They release something only when they need it and start falling behind. It's a stradegy that worked last year and will work again this year but I don't see it as a good stradegy.

They've always been reactive rather than proactive, and it's something they can only get away with a few times. They waited too long to start aggressively courting third parties (after apparently assuming that the excitement around the console and sheer size of userbase would draw them in), they waited too long to drop the price of the Wii etc. etc.

Failure to capitalise on their success and to make bold moves when they were able to has led them to this position. Of course, had third parties had more foresight and been more willing or able to "jump in" Nintendo may have gotten away with it, but alas...

Tenbatsu said:
remotePlusPh.jpg

There will be Wii remote plus bundle for black and white too.

That's actually the only way to get the system starting 11/11.

They didn't say it exactly, but it looks like the standard Wiimote is being phased out.

Roto13

Chris1964 said:
Nintendo released with one year delay what should release with NSMBW. Better late than never.
Why should they have released this with New Super Mario Bros. Wii? Since when are they obligated to release a new coloured Wii with every new Wii game?

d+pad

gerg said:
Provided this releases in America before the holidays Nintendo will be set to do well there this year, at least.

If this (red Wii) and the red, Mario DSi come to the States at some point, I'm in big trouble...

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
Looks like Nintendo wants to increase the Wii Motion Plus adoption rate in time for Skyward Sword. :lol

And maybe for stuff to follow. As discussed several times, Motion+ is not Nintendo's normal "release a peripheral for a game or few and then forget about it." They are making it the standard for the system, and the next system should have that functionality standard from the get-go.

Edit:
Terrible that this confirms no price drop for Wii in Japan this Fall, though. :(

Bentendo

LINK

You see this? This is the Super Mario All-Star collection for Europe. See the Super Mario History thing with the NES? Well, that Super Mario Bros. box is AMERICAN. This makes me think that NoA took this picture and that an American announcement is coming soon.

EDIT: Okay, had to remove image. Go to the link and click the image in the article.

Bentendo said:
LINK

You see this? This is the Super Mario All-Star collection for Europe. See the Super Mario History thing with the NES? Well, that Super Mario Bros. box is AMERICAN. This makes me think that NoA took this picture and that an American announcement is coming soon.

EDIT: Okay, had to remove image. Go to the link and click the image in the article.
Once they announce the NA edition, I'll cancel my Japanese preorder one. Thanks for the update.

pakkit

Banned
So they DID make a WiiMotion inclusive Wiimote.

I didn't think they'd segment the market like that, but I'm glad they did.

Cosmonaut X said:
Heh, unlikely I'm afraid. Nintendo's policy - from anecdotal evidence, of course - seems to be to carry out transfers from a defunct Wii to a working one, provided you can supply both units. I haven't heard of a case where they've been prepared to transfer WiiWare/VC etc. from a working unit to another working unit.

That said, their customer service departments are famously helpful and it may be worth your while spending some time & ink trying to persuade them to do it, but you'll still likely have to present both systems to get it done.

I got all my VC/Wiiware games moved from my launch White Wii to my Black Wii that I bought back around Xmas last year.

swerve

pakkit said:
So they DID make a WiiMotion inclusive Wiimote.

I didn't think they'd segment the market like that, but I'm glad they did.

Segmenting the market is by requiring something prohibitive/exclusive to one group.

Wii Motion Plus has always been and remains completely available (at a good price, or as a pack in with most games) to ALL wii owners. There is no segmentation.

It's when they start making games which take advantage of Wii HD power that they will be segmenting :)

swerve

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I got all my VC/Wiiware games moved from my launch White Wii to my Black Wii that I bought back around Xmas last year.

More details please. Did you have to lie? What about Miis, etc? You only got Wii Shop purchases moved over, right? Not all the local data/photos/miis... :(

Jackano

Bentendo said:
LINK

This is as well the european original Super Mario Bros. box!

Hylian7

This is probably going to cause the same clusterfuck the black Wii did. Remember when lots of people traded in their original Wii for the black one, only to find out they couldn't get their Wii Shop games back? I was hoping that if Nintendo did a new snazzy color, they would at least put out a warning about how you can't transfer your Wii shop stuff before everyone runs out and buys this one. A more ideal solution would be to come up with some way to transfer the license to a new Wii. I had a friend that wasn't aware of this when he traded his white Wii for a black one, and he lost 50 Virtual Console games. He was constantly pushed back and fourth from Nintendo and Gamestop on the phone, and they still never fixed it.

sinxtanx

That thing speaks to my personal taste

If their next console isn't red on launch day...I will post a sad smiley on the Internet!

Olaeh

What do you think the chances are of the red Wii coming stateside? We'll get 25th anniversary mario no doubt, but will they give us the red Wii!? I'm holding out but the wait after DKCR hits will be difficult...
Just announce it already NOA!

Anth0ny

So beautiful.

I just really hope it's not a limited release. This is the kind of thing that I'm gonna want (for some random reason) 5 years down the road, and it's gonna cost me 2x more =(

Top Bottom