• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Psykotik

tried that, didnt work.

but nevermind, i think it's because the website is seeing that i'm an international visitor.

i managed to find my way into the US rockband website (http://www.rockband.com/?intl_us=true), logged in, and used the export page from there (where it asks for a 16 digit code).

got my RB2 export token fine that way :D

Psykotik said:
tried that, didnt work.

but nevermind, i think it's because the website is seeing that i'm an international visitor.

i managed to find my way into the US rockband website (http://www.rockband.com/?intl_us=true), logged in, and used the export page from there (where it asks for a 16 digit code).

got my RB2 export token fine that way :D
awesome. I still need to go trade in my RB2 copy after the export. Perhaps tomorrow.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Snuggler said:
so if I buy this and the only instrument I have is the keyboard, will I still get a lot out of this game?
my main concern is the amount of songs there are that are fun to play on keyboard.

might get this tomorrow but no guitar or drums controller at the moment
Technically you can play guitar tracks, but I imagine that's not brilliant - maybe designed so one guitar setups can play with two guitars more easily

I'd definitely recommend a guitar to flesh it out. A cheap used guitar hero guitar would be fine

Stackboy

I thought I could hold out and wait a while before getting the keyboard, but I'd say next fortnight I will order one.

RB3 is my favourite game this year. Nothing competes.

Now only if I could get Rock Band Network in Australia.

Edit: RB3 GOTY derp.

Axiom

I swear Still Alive used to be free, now it costs money. Can't find The Touch by Stan Bush either.

I managed to get a new code from EA customer support this morning but PSN was down so I couldn't redeem it and it won't work at all be it on the export site, the international version, or in game.
The codes should work right away right?

Back to being away at 6am to ask them again. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why is rock band on PS3 in the UK so fucked? GAME had one copy of the software which wasn't even out on the shelves, and nobody on the high street seems to have any keyboards. Plenty around for 360 though.

Is it because when rock band wasn't released for PS3, everybody interested just imported? Surely the sales can't be so skewed that its not worth shipping arguably the KSP (Key Selling Peripheral)?

So pissed off. Only silver lining is that my fucking software hasn't turned up yet from videogamesplus either :/

Going to kill some zombies later, take it out on them.

Wessiej

mrklaw said:
why is rock band on PS3 in the UK so fucked? GAME had one copy of the software which wasn't even out on the shelves, and nobody on the high street seems to have any keyboards. Plenty around for 360 though.

Is it because when rock band wasn't released for PS3, everybody interested just imported? Surely the sales can't be so skewed that its not worth shipping arguably the KSP (Key Selling Peripheral)?

So pissed off. Only silver lining is that my fucking software hasn't turned up yet from videogamesplus either :/

My copy of Rock Band also hasn't arrived from videogameplus, here in holland :(

Wessiej said:
My copy of Rock Band also hasn't arrived from videogameplus, here in holland :(

What mediamarkt told me was that the shipments are coming in on Friday and that this is the official release date for Europe for some reason (they may have wanted to keep UK and EU equal). Same situation for the 360 version here in this case. They're supposed to call me today when they get their shipment. Will be interesting to see if the Keytar is in there as I forgot to ask about that - some online retailers seem to suggest that the Keytars are coming a day later.

otmane

Amazon.fr juste sent me an e-mail to indicate that the keyboard for PS3 will be shipped on November 15th, instead of October 28th, the delay is indeed confirmed for PS3 accessories in France :(

Miroslav

Im going to pick this up later and being my first rock band I have some noob questions:

- If i got it properly this game has two guitars and a third one coming: the first is a classic 5 button guitar and the second is a "pro" guitar with lots of buttons, am i correct?
- there are lots of different drum sets already on the market, rb is compatible with tha vast majority of them, what is the best drum set?
- RB 3 has a pro drum set. Can I use it to play non pro songs?
- A real guitar is coming later for rb3, can this guitar be used to play by itself? I mean, using it with an amplifier and all...

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: hola romeo xd

J. M. Romeo said:
what is a good alternative source of funding for my US PSN account?
This is also something i need to know...

Wessiej

Miroslav said:
Im going to pick this up later and being my first rock band I have some noob questions:

- If i got it properly this game has two guitars and a third one coming: the first is a classic 5 button guitar and the second is a "pro" guitar with lots of buttons, am i correct?
- there are lots of different drum sets already on the market, rb is compatible with tha vast majority of them, what is the best drum set?
- RB 3 has a pro drum set. Can I use it to play non pro songs?
- A real guitar is coming later for rb3, can this guitar be used to play by itself? I mean, using it with an amplifier and all...

Thanks in advance.

-Yes
-Yes, but you should get a Rock Band drumkit, because it has 4 pads, the Guitar Hero pads have 5.
-Yes (you should probably get this kit)
-Yes, it is a real (and should be a good one too) guitar

J. M. Romeo said:
So the MIDI box won't come out until the end of November. DAMN.

Hopefully Amazon ships it to Spain. I already have my copy coming and luckily I can get a keyboard for PS3 here.
Also, since I'm tied to the American store and Entropay doesn't work anymore: what is a good alternative source of funding for my US PSN account?
I always buy cards for that. On gamehubs or ebay. You pay 22 dollar and you get a 20 dollar card, but it is still a good value.

vg260

For those of you who feel like you're failing out more in RB3 than RB2 on the same song, like me, it's not your imagination. The devs confirmed a change in missed note penalties and are taking feedback in this RB forum thread

I don't like that they changed it, and hope they revert back to the RB2 system.

mrklaw said:

Rock Band and Europe as a whole has always been fucked.
Harmonix, EA, somewhere there's a pile of stupidity.

This time, it seems to be Mad Catz's fault, they had a production issue and delayed alot of hardware for a month, with the PS3 keyboards being the worst offenders considering their importance.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Zeouterlimits said:
Rock Band and Europe as a whole has always been fucked.
Harmonix, EA, somewhere there's a pile of stupidity.

This time, it seems to be Mad Catz's fault, they had a production issue and delayed alot of hardware for a month, with the PS3 keyboards being the worst offenders considering their importance.

its just stupid. I know shit happens, but when one of your KSPs is keyboard support, its pretty fucking important to get keyboards into stores.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
2&2 said:
For those of you who feel like you're failing out more in RB3 than RB2 on the same song, like me, it's not your imagination. The devs confirmed a change in missed note penalties and are taking feedback in this RB forum thread

I wonder though, since you can be scored on No Fail mode... you almost might as well play with that on and not even worry about the other stuff.

I know I'm more willing to play expert now. I'm never going to be able to master the long ass solos in some songs, but at least I can play the normal parts and still have some measure of fun.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
2&2 said:

I still can't get adjusted to the new highway for guitar. Something about it just feels off. I don't know what it is, but I'm missing notes in songs I would have never missed in Rock Band 2.

Hige

2&2 said:

Aha! I knew it. :D With video evidence to boot.

Also, new pro guitar video popped up on youtube, not the Space Oddity guy.

Expert Pro Guitar - Free Bird (79%)

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
mrklaw said:

Same for me. This is bullshit and I'm really pissed off.
How can you expect the sell a game when its hook is not available on launch day? Its boggles the mind.

I pre-ordered the keyboard in GameStop Dublin, hasn't come in; only Wii and 360 versions.
Tried the other big retailers, GAME, HMV and Symths and none have it in stock.

Sh0k

With the keyboard, are you supposed to use it one handed or you have to use both hands ? The tutorial is so poorly done, I can barely pass the medium tutorials and after that, it jumps to the keyboard shifting from side to side tutorials.

Any tips ?

Hige

Sh0k said:
With the keyboard, are you supposed to use it one handed or you have to use both hands ? The tutorial is so poorly done, I can barely pass the medium tutorials and after that, it jumps to the keyboard shifting from side to side tutorials.

Any tips ?
It's supposed to be right hand only. Agree on tutorials being vague regarding hand position. Helps a bit to look up scale tutorial vids for real piano on youtube to see how they move their hand up and down the keyboard. It helped me understand the whole "thumb goes under index finger to hit the 4th note" tutorials.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sh0k said:

Any tips ?

Oh, I totally agree. The tutorials aren't designed for beginners. :lol

I think it's supposed to be right hand though, since your left hand is supposed to be used for overdrive and the effects slider.

XrazZ

Neo Member
Just got back from my gameshop in the Netherlands; only the Wii version (no instruments) available :(
360 keyboardbundle is expected next week, nov. the 5th. PS3 version later in the month.
Harmonix fucked up again in the EU.

It wouldn't be so bad if they announced the delay BEFORE launch day!

I'm pissed, sad and angry and gonna cry in a corner till next week.

Raistlin

Wessiej said:
-Yes
-Yes, but you should get a Rock Band drumkit, because it has 4 pads, the Guitar Hero pads have 5.
-Yes (you should probably get this kit)
Or some type of e-kit if you're serious about drumming in general.

-Yes, it is a real (and should be a good one too) guitar

I've seen zero evidence to make that judgement. We really don't know one way or the other.

Once we know what guitar it's based on, at least then we can make an educated guess.

navanman said:
Same for me. This is bullshit and I'm really pissed off.
How can you expect the sell a game when its hook is not available on launch day? Its boggles the mind.

I pre-ordered the keyboard in GameStop Dublin, hasn't come in; only Wii and 360 versions.
Tried the other big retailers, GAME, HMV and Symths and none have it in stock.
Had a feeling you were ongarite.

It's .. ridiculous that EA can't launch a mainline Rock Band game properly in Europe. Their 3rd attempt.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Axiom said:
I swear Still Alive used to be free, now it costs money.
Yeah, it was free. It was the first song I downloaded in RB1... I wouldn't have done so if it wasn't free.

FWIW, Best Buys around me did not have the keyboard bundle for 360. I called and they said they would sell me the game and the keyboard but still charge me the bundle price.

Also, I have never really progressed beyond medium on guitar in RB1 or 2. They never used any orange notes. I tried it out last night on medium and in RB3 the charts include orange notes. I wonder why they made that change.

jessecuster said:
FWIW, Best Buys around me did not have the keyboard bundle for 360. I called and they said they would sell me the game and the keyboard but still charge me the bundle price.

Also, I have never really progressed beyond medium on guitar in RB1 or 2. They never used any orange notes. I tried it out last night on medium and in RB3 the charts include orange notes. I wonder why they made that change.
Really? Hmm I play medium too and that will be interesting to see how adding orange will affect me. I kind of wonder why they never gave the option to use all colors but at the speed of medium or easy.

cjdunn

Yes, I know the *plink* sound of missing a note.

Audio glitch

For me it was a momentary, high-pitched, garble. It's only happened twice, on two different songs, while playing on keyboard.

Also found a different audio bug with keyboard in practice mode.

Fix this shit Harmonix!!
I still love you.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Zeouterlimits said:
Had a feeling you were ongarite.

It's .. ridiculous that EA can't launch a mainline Rock Band game properly in Europe. Their 3rd attempt.

My alter ego has been blown!!
Yeah I'm a pretty annoyed. Was really looking forward to playing RB3 with the new keyboard but alas no stocking at all. Pain in the swiss..

neorej

ERMYGERD!
This game out in Euro-land yet? The game is listed as a 28-10-2010-release, but no store has it. The keyboard-bundle is even listed as 26-11-2010 :(

I was wrong to hope for a proper Rock Band release...

Anyone here with GHWR and RB3...

I prefer the look of the new GHWR guitar, but I prefer RB3 as a game. Is GHWR guitar full compatible with RB3? Including solo buttons?

Pietepiet

For Dutch members: just found a copy of the PS3 version at Mediamarkt Hoog Catherijne in Utrecht. Didn't see the keytar bundle though, but they have the game in at least :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
firehawk12 said:
Oh, I totally agree. The tutorials aren't designed for beginners. :lol

I think it's supposed to be right hand though, since your left hand is supposed to be used for overdrive and the effects slider.
Yeah the lack of a tutorial for regular keys is silly. Especially since they're not even discussed in the manual.

neorej said:
This game out in Euro-land yet? The game is listed as a 28-10-2010-release, but no store has it. The keyboard-bundle is even listed as 26-11-2010 :(

I was wrong to hope for a proper Rock Band release...
Yes, it's out. I got it yesterday.

I don't know how it's in the rest of Europe, but in Sweden they released very few copies of the game. My local Gamestop got 3 copies of the 360 version for example.

AstroLad said:
Yeah the lack of a tutorial for regular keys is silly. Especially since they're not even discussed in the manual.

why do you really need a tutorial for the regular keys anyway, though? It's the same GRYBO system we all know and love. Five fingers, five keys. Seems pretty straightforward.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Pietepiet said:
For Dutch members: just found a copy of the PS3 version at Mediamarkt Hoog Catherijne in Utrecht. Didn't see the keytar bundle though, but they have the game in at least :)

Gonna check my local Saturn tonight then.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
drmcclin said:
why do you really need a tutorial for the regular keys anyway, though? It's the same GRYBO system we all know and love. Five fingers, five keys. Seems pretty straightforward.
I don't desperately need one but for starters neither the slider nor the star power are explained afaik. I figured those out through experimentation but that's kind of a crappy way to learn about basic features. Also as I'm very familiar with EA Sports games, sometimes there will be game features that are neither obvious nor even alluded to in documentation or in-game. A comprehensive detailing of all the contours of the instrument and gameplay is useful to anyone (and if it's 90% the same old stuff, then even easier for them). A good tutorial is never a bad thing (unless you have a great manual, which this game most definitely does not).

SuperPac

drmcclin said:

You lost me at GRYBO.

There are more than 5 keys on the keyboard though, so if you have no piano experience (like myself), it's not clear. I had no idea where to put my hands or that I should be playing it with one hand. No idea the button on the side was overdrive or that the little touchpad did anything until I read it somewhere else.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SuperPac said:
You lost me at GRYBO.

There are more than 5 keys on the keyboard though, so if you have no piano experience (like myself), it's not clear. I had no idea where to put my hands or that I should be playing it with one hand. No idea the button on the side was overdrive or that the little touchpad did anything until I read it somewhere else.
I had no idea I should be using my thumb until someone in here posted it. I was just playing it upside-down GH guitar style with my four fingers :lol

Shiv47

cjdunn said:
Also, I'm encountering the audio glitch on multiple songs with keyboard.

Man, we had this happen last night a couple times, and had no idea what the hell had happened. Hopefully it gets fixed.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
jgkspsx said:
Did the LRB export key page eat your code? Well, apparently, they are going to update the page tomorrow (and mark the codes as unused?)

I do not expect this to work, but what the hey.

Yeah, I hope that they have the forethought to reset any codes entered for the past few days, but I'm not real confident that they will.

kodt

Banned
drmcclin said:

If you aren't familiar with how to play piano you could try using two hands or only your left hand, that would make it much more difficult.

Top Bottom